Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,460 members, 7,819,677 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture (11990 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / A School Which Gives Bsc In Three Session. Is JPTS A Scam Or Legit? / How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by hardbite(m): 12:25am On Feb 21, 2018
CASTOSVILLA:
Really? Please challenge me with your theories and in return I'll test your abilities too. Please learn to respect your colleagues.
and learn your place in life
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by hardbite(m): 12:28am On Feb 21, 2018
don4real18:

Better than ME that went to a POLYTECHNIC... grin
Did you carry out any research before reaching your conclusion or you are just one of those people that went to school for the sake of a certificate.
What sets you apart from the polytechnic Graduate?
Have you come up with any theory?
Have you discovered anything new?
In fact, have your professors done anything to make them renowned in the academic environment?
It's just to cram and pour, do plagiarism upon plagiarism and you come out to say uni grads are better than poly grads.
I finished in a Uni anyway and I had coursemates who don't deserve to brag about having more knowledge than an artisan.
Good day

and every other poly graduate is so good?... please before you argue you should know what you argue about.
the Nigerian education system places a university graduate above a poly grad. But it is not like people don't work hard to break off chains.
So to make my point more accurate, "an average university graduate is better than an average poly graduate"
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by CASTOSVILLA(m): 12:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
akaahs:

my polytechnic friend who study architecture do mechanical nd electrical drawings because they were taught. Even my collegue in office from kaduna polytechnic does that. I know what I'm talking my friend.
I do both too and yes we were thought but the job is not ours.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by seenter84: 3:24pm On Feb 21, 2018
foliman:

why not!

Ok

How do i contact u
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by foliman(m): 8:01pm On Feb 21, 2018
seenter84:

Ok
How do i contact u
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by seenter84: 8:57am On Feb 22, 2018
foliman:

Thanks.
Ill message you
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by DerrickM(m): 9:26am On Feb 22, 2018
It's sad and unfortunate that some people actually feel they are better than some others who attended a polytechnic because they went to a university instead. No one is better than other just more opportune. Nigerian education is still generally crap in any of the two you attend and can't secure a decent job immediately unless you are industrious as an entrepreneur so i don't get what the bloody fuss is about.

I went to Yabatech but didn't finish as i had to go to FUTA. I have been in both systems. The NIA/ARCON doesn't help matters by the mandatory Finals 1 & 2 before writing PPE taking years. It doesn't even accept HND or B.Tech/B.Sc to apply anymore since September 2016. Masters is the minimum level officially.

Other professional bodies for accountants,engineers,quantity surveyors,town planners,estate valuers to mention a few easily accept the HND graduates. You wonder why Town Planners and Engineers have so much power over the chief builders which is us that's why. They have the numbers and architects even lost in a civil case to town planners. We need to grow our numbers and should have been accepting our brothers/sisters who attended the polytechnics.

My father attended both a polytechnic in Nigeria and polytechnic turned university in the UK. My siblings and i went through both not ever discriminating between the two. They are a means to an end. Since 1992,all polytechnics in the UK have converted to standard universities and there is some regret happening because the elites aren't happy university is no longer exclusive to them. If our former colonial masters have upgraded time we did as well. If the Federal Government of Nigeria is sincere why have they resisted Yabatech and Kaduna Poly from upgrading to universities for over 2 decades plus and counting.

We live in a world that is too discriminatory that is why racism,colorism,tribalism,slavery and unnecessary bias won't ever stop with human beings. Life is simple but we complicate it by putting obstacles in others paths.

Polytechnics are no doubt more practical oriented than so much theory/research based universities. FUTA was a hardcore mix of the two and glad i attended. I dunno if the school still runs its PGD programme that allows HND graduates to convert over to a Masters degree. I know a female lecturer who is now an NIA member long before NIA stopped accepting.

Regardless of what school one attends self-development is what separates us all with what one learns on the job with trade secrets. I have met unserious folks on both sides who don't know what they are doing as architects so don't get me started. That doesn't make me generalize and neither should anyone. Unilag students outsourced their assignments to Yaba students to do for them as pp. Same case with FUTA and Owo poly also. Yet those same uni grads will claim they are better but couldn't complete their own assignments, or projects. They should hide their faces immediately. If anyone attends a polytechnic i advice they switch over to a university to avoid issues asap if you plan to register professionally.

In size and number of members at the profession level,architecture has a long way to go before it can catch up with the demands of the built environment needing more qualified professionals at the detriment of the graduates both ways. All about money and politics always has been take the ongoing battle between the NIA and ARCON just disgraceful. Yet we claim architects do it in style really laughable.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Heymus(m): 4:41pm On Feb 23, 2018
akaahs:

my polytechnic friend who study architecture do mechanical nd electrical drawings because they were taught. Even my collegue in office from kaduna polytechnic does that. I know what I'm talking my friend.
you are one of the reasons for patronize quacks in our society. been taught in school doesn't mean it is their main job. in higher institutions there are courses known as borrow courses. you do it so wont look like a novice in real life. i'm an Architect i was taught a brief electrical drawing while in school but you do not expect me to do it better than the guy that studied electrical engineering. who has been given adequate training on how to design circuit etc. mark you, not that i cannot do it myself but i do engage prof. whenever the need arises. so stop mocking your Architect friend who cannot do M&E drawing
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by akaahs(m): 10:22pm On Feb 23, 2018
Heymus:
you are one of the reasons for patronize quacks in our society. been taught in school doesn't mean it is their main job. in higher institutions there are courses known as borrow courses. you do it so wont look like a novice in real life. i'm an Architect i was taught a brief electrical drawing while in school but you do not expect me to do it better than the guy that studied electrical engineering. who has been given adequate training on how to design circuit etc. mark you, not that i cannot do it myself but i do engage prof. whenever the need arises. so stop mocking your Architect friend who cannot do M&E drawing
I'm not mocking him, just like u said i expect to have a little knowledge on it.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by Heymus(m): 3:24pm On Feb 25, 2018
akaahs:

I'm not mocking him, just like u said i expect to have a little knowledge on it.
okay bro.
Re: Labour market: No Discrimination Between HND And Bsc In Architecture by yusman14(m): 4:41pm On Jan 22, 2020
Galantis:
I am currently studying metallurgical engineering technology, but the way we are being taught eh tongue , if you don't have strong will, you can never start. Class from 12.30 pm to 4.30 pm no be beans and that's technical drawing lipsrsealed. Polytechnics rock. Me go buy ajaokuta seel company one day. grin
And so??
I am also studying the same course in uni......

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

30 Kwara Catholic Secondary School Students Scores Above 300 In 2024 UTME / Unical Post Ume Result Nd Admission Info. / University Of Ibadan Plans To Increase Clinical Students Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.