Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,647 members, 7,816,659 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? (18849 Views)

6 Important Vehicle Documents Police, FRSC & VIO Will Always Ask You / Breaking News: Kaduna State Govt Dissolves Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) / Six (6) Important Vehicle Documents Police, FRSC & VIO Will Always Ask You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by ZACHIE: 2:10pm On Oct 23, 2013
All Tokunbohs are unroadworthy until a certificate of roadworthiness is issued. grin grin grin grin
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by 83aka: 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
policemen abeg make una learn una work o
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by write2obi(m): 2:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
platinumnk: Nigeria . . . sigh . . a good lawsuit will stop all this trash!

^Though it will never happen embarassed

Police will make up anything to take money
in Owerri They stole 1500N because I didnt have papers for tinted glass lipsrsealed
Why did you tint your glass without clearance? Are you a fool?
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by smartg(m): 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
platinumnk: Nigeria . . . sigh . . a good lawsuit will stop all this trash!

^Though it will never happen embarassed

Police will make up anything to take money
in Owerri They stole 1500N because I didnt have papers for tinted glass lipsrsealed
how dare you talk about lawsuit in a lawless country?.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by write2obi(m): 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
seal777: my understanding is  cars that are above the legal age are required to obtain the road worthiness permit, right or wrong i cant say.

i have it on my camry for the first time since 2005 this yr 2010 cos it over 10 yrs but not on my accord 2005 cos its less than10yrs and all policemen who dont know their job have gladly learn from me on the high way cos i travel alot.

know your right and be confident about it.
thank you my brother for clearing that up. Its only in nigeria that someone will broke the law, and say its only the army or the scout that will arrest him
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by write2obi(m): 2:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
seal777: The law pegs the maximum age of cars to be imported into the country as good and fit to be driven on nigerian road at 10 yrs. All other cars older than 10 yrs need be certified fit and worthy to ply nigerian road and that re to be done on yearly basis.

Its a fact i ve proven times without number. I AM VERY SURE OF MY ACCERTION.

Ask the question, what is there to be certified worthy in a car almost brand new?.
undecided @bolded
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by sultaan(m): 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
Early Christmas
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by erico2k2(m): 3:01pm On Oct 23, 2013
Gifo: @George-D
I had a similar experience that made me part 2grand at Abia highway enroute to Ebonyi from P.H. I gave the same reason of not being a commercial vehicle and even a brand new car bought in P.H. That didn't stop them. Rather they asked 'what if it has had an accident new or not?'. Other vehicles were also being stopped and those not complying being threatened to be taken to the police station. I had to pay to continue my journey.

On my return I promptly got one at 2grand just to have easy travel. In Naija, you can't really beat these guys, can you?
Check the western world,ie the Uk,the police check for ur cert of rd worthynes aka MOT
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by erico2k2(m): 3:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
write2obi:
thank you my brother for clearing that up. Its only in nigeria that someone will broke the law, and say its only the army or the scout that will arrest him
Here in 0he Uk u must have it on ur car and do it every year,brand new or not,cos ur brand new car might nt be that rd worthy as proven in faulty air bags in so brand new cars.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Expensiveman: 3:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
George_D: gents,
recently, i travelled to the countryside and on my way back was accosted by our 'friends' the police. they checked all my documents and when they couldn't find any fault, they started asking for my vehicle road worthiness certificate. i then replied that my vehicle is not a commercial vehicle hence does not need a road worthiness certificate. on hearing that, they promptly stopped two private vehicles and showed me proof that they both had the certificate even though they were not commercial. i became non-plussed but not wanting to be outwitted, i smartly asked them why they were doing the work of vehicle inspection officers (vio). my question seemed to anger them and they began boasting that btw the police and vehicle inspection officers, the police has the upper hand. they also threatened to impound my car until i produced the required certificate. to cut a long story short, i had to part with 1500 before i could go free.

the question here is this: between the police and vehicle inspection officers (vio), which of them is really empowered by law to check for vehicle road worthiness certificates?
police by law has powers but to a limit they should not usurp the V I O
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by erico2k2(m): 3:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
George_D:

seal,
are you saying the road worthiness certificate is only required in vehicles that are above 10 years of age? is that a fact?
Not at all,its for all type,new or old cos a brand new car could be unroad worthy
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by erico2k2(m): 3:35pm On Oct 23, 2013
Expensiveman: police by law has powers but to a limit they should not usurp the V I O
The school of thouggt here is weather the non compliance is criminal or civil,in this case guys its a criminal offence for non compliance,so the police have the upper hand.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Jobabori(m): 4:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
write2obi:
Why did you tint your glass without clearance? Are you a fool?
So whoever buy a factory fitted tinted glass is a fool? Think better dude.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by 3ace(m): 4:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
Except for the OP and some other people who may not have the requested documents, I take God beg una, if u get am, give it to them. It will cost you nothing. No go dey speak grama wit dem, our police nefa mature reach dat level. Abeg, I no wan hear cases of accidental discharge again o.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by linearity: 4:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
Fhemmmy: Nigeria is a country in a confused state.

We got a call recently from NDLEA in Nigeria that they have a parcel that belongs we sent to our representative in Nigeria.
The Parcel contains the BOL and other normal papers for the rides.

Now, the NDLEA Agents wanted to see my Tax clearance in the USA for the last 5 years.
My Pay stub

And i was shocked, cos i thought that ought to be a wahala that Customs ought to worry about, I thought NDLEA are all about drugs and chemical stuff.

However, Nigeria will grow one day.

You send ride and them come ask for US tax returns and Paystub you dey complain? My own na ordinary laptop and android phone I send go give my sister for Lagos via FedEx na him custom seize everything come to ask for my Tax returns and paystubs else they will not release the stuff.

I had no choice than to send them what they asked for, the funny thing is that, the laptop plus the phone were less than $2k.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by amakenny: 4:28pm On Oct 23, 2013
The Police can check Road Worthiness of any vehicle anywhere any time, but should have no business authorizing Certificate of Road Worthiness. In the wider developed world, the VIO is authorized to issue Certificate of Road Worthiness.

And in many of these countries, the certificate expires every twelve months. That is why you hardly hear of trailers or "Molues" failing breaks or breaking down on the roads.

But Methinks, your question was badly framed.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by gentlegg(m): 4:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
I have an antidote that have been working for me once i approach those unfriendly friends on the road. I will just compose myself, only speak pure English to them, am never in a hurry mood, then if he's the most stubborn one, i will then tell him to enter my vehicle so we can drive to station and by the next morning they should sue me immediately to court, failure to do so in the next 48hrs my lawyer will then sue them.

Concerning the Road Worthiness stuff, those urchins stopped me one day and demanded for Road Worthiness, i first told him that am embarrassed by his demand, that as a Nigerian police he has no right to demand that from a private car, he stopped one vehicle and showed me that a fellow private car owner have it. I told him not all Nigerians all ignoramus. He flared up and i entered my car to zoom off, as I told him he can't be wasting my time, he threatened to shoot me if i dare him. I went to their most superior and explained everything to him in good etiquette, he phonily tried to pacify my already angered emotion asking me to just give anything i have to the junior who stopped me, I went to the junior officer and spuriously play a friend to him and then told him I have a gift for him on our friendship levels, I brought out N50 and gave to him, the guy looked me from head to toes for a million seconds and simply walked out from me, i entered my car and drove off.

1 Like

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by amakenny: 4:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
gentlegg: I have an antidote that have been working for me once i approach those unfriendly friends on the road. I will just compose myself, only speak pure English to them, am never in a hurry mood, then if he's the most stubborn one, i will then tell him to enter my vehicle so we can drive to station and by the next morning they should sue me immediately to court, failure to do so in the next 48hrs my lawyer will then sue them.

Concerning the Road Worthiness stuff, those urchins stopped me one day and demanded for Road Worthiness, i first told him that am embarrassed by his demand, that as a Nigerian police he has no right to demand that from a private car, he stopped one vehicle and showed me that a fellow private car owner have it. I told him not all Nigerians all ignoramus. He flared up and i entered my car to zoom off, as I told him he can't be wasting my time, he threatened to shoot me if i dare him. I went to their most superior and explained everything to him in good etiquette, he phonily tried to pacify my already angered emotion asking me to just give anything i have to the junior who stopped me, I went to the junior officer and spuriously play a friend to him and then told him I have a gift for him on our friendship levels, I brought out N50 and gave to him, the guy looked me from head to toes for a million seconds and simply walked out from me, i entered my car and drove off.

You boast that you refused to show police the certificate of road worthiness for your car as he stopped you on the broad. In the civilized world, that your car must be seized instantly by that police on official check if you could not convince him or her that your car had certificate of road worthiness.

And you must answer charges in court for refusing to obey orders from superior authority. I know that Nigeria Police often subject themselves to ridicule through the way they demand bribes, but then, you were wrong to have refused to show Police the certificate of road worthiness for your car.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by emyibe(m): 4:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
GOODMAN1: Road worthiness is required for vehicles above 5 years. One wonders though if the roads are actually vehicle-worthy.

Gbam. The roads are not and government police men can't do any thing about that
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by amakenny: 4:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
emyibe:

Doesn't matter if the roads are actually vehicle-worthy or not. Vehicles that ply the roads, however the conditions of the roads, must be road worthy.

1 Like

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by erico2k2(m): 4:56pm On Oct 23, 2013
amakenny: The Police can check Road Worthiness of any vehicle anywhere any time, but should have no business authorizing Certificate of Road Worthiness. In the wider developed world, the VIO is authorized to issue Certificate of Road Worthiness.

And in many of these countries, the certificate expires every twelve months. That is why you hardly hear of trailers or "Molues" failing breaks or breaking down on the roads.

But Methinks, your question was badly framed.
Bros sori small nah for the police,afterall the police r ur friends,no one said they issue or authorise cert of rd worthynes grin
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by erico2k2(m): 4:58pm On Oct 23, 2013
emyibe:

U gt a case there,but we knw we have a non compliant state.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by bustabo(m): 5:02pm On Oct 23, 2013
When U̶̲̥̅̊ say police ∂σηт have right to check road worthiness certificate... U̶̲̥̅̊ forget SФ soon that they αяє empowered to protect lives αη∂ property.....if ​Ūя̲̅ car is not road worthy think of ђøw many lives αη∂ property U̶̲̥̅̊ could waste.am not saying more than this think well
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by write2obi(m): 5:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
Jobabori: So whoever buy a factory fitted tinted glass is a fool? Think better dude.
If you buy a factory fitted tinted glasses, kindly go to the authority and get the necessary clearance, our problem in Nigeria is we don't care to know our right, we'll go about tempting officers with bribe, same us will say our police is corrupt
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by gentlegg(m): 5:41pm On Oct 23, 2013
amakenny:

You boast that you refused to show police the certificate of road worthiness for your car as he stopped you on the broad. In the civilized world, that your car must be seized instantly by that police on official check if you could not convince him or her that your car had certificate of road worthiness.

And you must answer charges in court for refusing to obey orders from superior authority. I know that Nigeria Police often subject themselves to ridicule through the way they demand bribes, but then, you were wrong to have refused to show Police the certificate of road worthiness for your car.
Please go and check the Traffic laws of Nigeria(not your civilized world)
1. Is not a statutory duty of a Nigerian police to ask for Road Worthiness.
2. Road Worthiness methinks are for commercial vehicles.

Concerning your bold statement, please which part of the civilized world must i obey any order from a police man. So if he asks me to bring Air Worthiness of my car, i should obey him by bringing it, my man i tire for this your civilized world ooo.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by InvertedHammer: 7:30pm On Oct 23, 2013
/
It is a very tough question to answer. In Nigeria, all the law enforcement officers improvise their duties.

What I do is on approaching a checkpoint, I size up the officers. If they look like alcoholic troublemakers, I drop something and continue.
If not, I will blow grammar tire.

If I have nothing better to do, I chill with them. The Custom officers at 9th Mile Enugu gave me a bottle of malt and
gala one time when they pulled me pulled me over and I refused to give them N2k on trumped up charges.
I figured I was already close to Enugu all the way from Lagos, so no rush. It was around 3pm and I stayed with
them till around 5pm. I was even willing to stay with them till they close for the day. But they just gave up and had to let me go.

But if time is not on my side and I still have a long way to go...I will massage the their ego with flattery and pay a little.

//

1 Like

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by mubazino: 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
Police is jst helping VIO to collect their money. Nting dey bad oooo shabi make 1 person jst collect d money ni.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by erico2k2(m): 8:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
write2obi:
If you buy a factory fitted tinted glasses, kindly go to the authority and get the necessary clearance, our problem in Nigeria is we don't care to know our right, we'll go about tempting officers with bribe, same us will say our police is corrupt
I did mine and it cost me 16K so why subject oneself to begging police on the high way? the thing tire me sef.
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by amakenny: 9:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
gentlegg:

Concerning your bold statement, please which part of the civilized world must i obey any order from a police man. So if he asks me to bring Air Worthiness of my car, i should obey him by bringing it, my man i tire for this your civilized world ooo.

Certificate of Road Worthiness is for every vehicle running on public roads.

Given the usually small number of its staff and the fact that they do not bear arms, VIO alone cannot enforce compliance with Certificate of Road Worthiness by millions of vehicles on Nigeria's roads. If Nigeria's law states that Police has no duty to check Certificate Of Road Worthiness for vehicles, it is a bad law. Of course, if so, you can easily note the badness of the law given the type of rickety vehicles that ply Nigeria's roads as well as the accidents they daily provoke..
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by erico2k2(m): 9:44pm On Oct 23, 2013
gentlegg:

Guy wise up, dont you know you are making a statement in an international forum, no fall our hand nah shwoooo U should be k nowledgable anough to know the OP upstairs is right, It is a statutory right and duty for the police to enforce anything that is termed a criminal offence,unfortunately not having a certificate of road worthyness falls into this catigory in real practice the real people to enforce these are not the VIO as they dont have the right to impound your car in true terms, they just have the Authority to Issue you a certificate stating your car mechanicaly sound to be on the road.Now in theory this is a good practice but we all know no one checks in Nigeria, you pay and get your certificate.Thats to answer your question 1
question 2 Road.Road worthyness has to be done in all class of vehicles, it has been a mistake when it was done only on commercial vehicles back in the dyas,they started the all inclussive class 2007
Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Josh316(m): 9:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
the police image maker said he was not aware of any extortion by policemen over the issue.

Is Officer Frank Mba EVER aware of anything the police does wrong? mscheeeeewwwww angry

2 Likes

Re: Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
erico2k2:
I did mine and it cost me 16K so why subject oneself to begging police on the high way? the thing tire me sef.
My car is a limited version. I stripped off the dark tints to avoid all these police wahala. My friend got a tint permit same amount as yours but the same police that issued him the permit are calling it fake.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read / Inside Kazeem's Dictionary: Nicknames For Car Parts / Bentley Unveils The World’s First Luxury Hybrid SUV With 31mile Plug-in Range

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.