Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! (7689 Views)

Custom Officers And Registered Vehicles / Why Don't Custom Officers Seize Cars Without Papers At The Dealer Stand / Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 11:31am On Apr 25, 2010
About a month back, I sent a driver to deliver a vehicle to a client in Kano. He took off from Ibadan and on getting to Kogi State, he ran into a custom check point and the vehicle was impounded. It was moved to their Lokoja Office and they demanded 150k. Due to the intervention of a Police officer they collected 80k after the car spent over 60 hours in their office. No reciept was issued for this.
The car came in thru Lome
The driver was at my place this morning to inform me again that another vehicle was impounded from him from Custom in that same state(this time Okene route) few days back(not mine)
I remember that the House of reps instructed the custom to limit their search for custom papers to the borders. What can we do now as that directive has been ignored or has it been changed?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 12:57pm On Apr 25, 2010
baconline,
didn't those vehicles you mentioned pass through the necessary clearance at the border abi na bush dem pass?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 1:05pm On Apr 25, 2010
I think there is more to the reasons why they will be rides.
A car has all the required papers, and came through legal channel should not have to go through such wahala.
Please anyone with such experience should shed more lights on this.

All i ever heard was that, when the customs see a newer ride, like a 2008 - 2010 ride, their eyes popped out and wanna drain for money.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 1:15pm On Apr 25, 2010
fhemmmy,
i'm waiting for baconline to answer my question above but i have a gut feeling those vehicles were not cleared properly. he either avoided paying duty for them or some of the clearance papers were missing.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 1:44pm On Apr 25, 2010
I did not pay duties for it,it an 1995 model.Na bush e take pass oh.
Pls oh most cars from Lome and Benin if u pay the country's duties and pay Nigerian duties u will most likely lose.Thats why ppl bring them thru bush.Funny still is u still settle custom on the way
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by KunleA2(m): 3:21pm On Apr 25, 2010
^^^^Now that you know. You were complaining about the $400 surcharge on new imports thru Lagos and you want to be bringing your car thru Lome. Even as you pay today, nothing stops these leaches from extorting you again next year or whenever they feel like it. So think twice.^^^^
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 3:28pm On Apr 25, 2010
I tire oh.tanx
Kunle-A:

^^^^Now that you know. You were complaining about the $400 surcharge on new imports thru Lagos and you want to be bringing your car thru Lome. Even as you pay today, nothing stops these leaches from extorting you again next year or whenever they feel like it. So think twice.^^^^
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 4:32pm On Apr 25, 2010
baconline:

Pls oh most cars from Lome and Benin if u pay the country's duties and pay Nigerian duties u will most likely lose.Thats why ppl bring them thru bush.Funny still is u still settle custom on the way

baconline,
i think your experience is a bitter lesson to all who bring cars from cotonou and avoid paying duty.

your even lucky they released the car at last. in most cases those pot-bellied customs officers refuse to release such vehicle especially when they see that the car is too clean. that is the method they use to get cars for themselves! they just sieze it and keep. after 6 months the car becomes their own! grin
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by ChiefD(m): 5:33pm On Apr 25, 2010
baconline:

About a month back, I sent a driver to deliver a vehicle to a client in Kano. He took off from Ibadan and on getting to Kogi State, he ran into a custom check point and the vehicle was impounded. It was moved to their Lokoja Office and they demanded 150k. Due to the intervention of a Police officer they collected 80k after the car spent over 60 hours in their office. No reciept was issued for this.
The car came in thru Lome
The driver was at my place this morning to inform me again that another vehicle was impounded from him from Custom in that same state(this time Okene route) few days back(not mine)
I remember that the House of reps instructed the custom to limit their search for custom papers to the borders. What can we do now as that directive has been ignored or has it been changed?

No matter how the vehicle is brought in - once its on Nigerian soil, just let a FRSC official arrange the papers for you; they usually get the "customs" papers from the customs guys themselves. IF your importer does it for you, he will get "custom" papers that are not "registered" with the custom guys, hence the problems you have.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by elitper: 12:09pm On Apr 26, 2010
NLanders please, is there no way of doing legitmate costums papers for a 1994-96 camry or 1997 honda accord? I have had to suspend buying my car late last year since I could not afford a more recent one. These customs pests scare me like death.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 3:06pm On Apr 27, 2010
elitper,

follow those who know road. you should be talking to seasoned dealers on this thread. i don't
need to mention names.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Apr 27, 2010
baconline:

My way of doing business.
I would rather pay more for the service and be able to question any nonsense.
Anything smuggled is never good, cos eevn if you as a dealer was fine, how about the buyer that is buying with good intent and never knew he might be havign trouble with the law later.
So always do it right and a good money is made off satisfaction of the buyer

elitper:

NLanders please, is there no way of doing legitmate costums papers for a 1994-96 camry or 1997 honda accord? I have had to suspend buying my car late last year since I could not afford a more recent one. These customs pests scare me like death.

You can always do the right thing and get legit papers.
Also, there are still some rides that will come to Nija direct and yet not too expensive.

For more info contact Femmmy.moto@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Onwan: 3:27pm On Apr 27, 2010
@Elitper
Its simple; buy the car, walk into any Road Safety (FRSC) office and talk to someone there - they will ask for the dealer's receipt (even if you bought it from Kotonou, the dealer must have given you a receipt); then they will take care of the rest.

Like I posted earlier, the custom guys will take advantage of you IF the person who handled the papers did not register those custom papers with them (register = settled). Go through the officials, that makes it easier. There is a particular stamp on the custom papers - that comes from the "registration".
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 3:30pm On Apr 27, 2010
Onwan:

@Elitper
Its simple; buy the car, walk into any Road Safety (FRSC) office and talk to someone there - they will ask for the dealer's receipt (even if you bought it from Kotonou, the dealer must have given you a receipt); then they will take care of the rest.

Like I posted earlier, the custom guys will take advantage of you IF the person who handled the papers did not register those custom papers with them (register = settled). Go through the officials, that makes it easier. There is a particular stamp on the custom papers - that comes from the "registration".

In one word . . . . . Do it right the first time, and you wont have to worry to see the second time . . . . cool
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Onwan: 3:33pm On Apr 27, 2010
@Fhemmmy
You know what it is cheesy
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 3:36pm On Apr 27, 2010
Onwan:

@Fhemmmy
You know what it is cheesy

For someone like us that are not in Nigeria often and yet do business with Nigeria on a daily basis, we have learnt the following:
Do it right
Leave no room for doubts
Follow the law to the best of your ability.
Dont cut corners
The cheapest is not always the best.
The Most expsnsive dont mean the best either.

These will prevent:
Money been tied down for long
Extra unwarranted stress for the representatives.
Clients being pissed and unsatisfied
Decline in sales.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by KunleA2(m): 3:38pm On Apr 27, 2010
No matter what anyone say,some people will rather be penny wise and pound foolish. But hey, what can i tell them?  undecided

I can still understand older cars coming tru Cotonou, but why do some people bring in perfectly legal cars tru cotonou just in a bid to save some money and start crying when they get impounded?  

Beats me.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by unite4real: 3:42pm On Apr 27, 2010
what is the cost of clearing a 2004 camry from Lagos port if am to travel to Kaduna with it without having trouble with customs on the way and also be sure that the papers are genuine.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by KunleA2(m): 3:49pm On Apr 27, 2010
should be about 250k
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 3:51pm On Apr 27, 2010
Nigerian naturally want to beat any system they find themselves
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by unite4real: 3:57pm On Apr 27, 2010
should be about 250k

@ KUNLE,

what is it i hear that there is an addidtional amount called CTN to be paid for imported cars. my car is already on the high sea. i have my BOL with me. will i be paying anything extra apart from the 250K? again, is it just the BOL and my ID card that is required for any agent to clear for me?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 3:59pm On Apr 27, 2010
is it d 400dollars ?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by DaudaAbu(m): 4:00pm On Apr 27, 2010
A frnd told me that as far as d car comes in thru cotonou the customs pple wil disturb u.they claim that the papers are fake.that genuine papers dont come thru land border. Does that are spared are those that pass throu port. This got me wondering what of all dis cars that claim to come thru seme border and all.  what is is particularly that a buyer is supposed to look for to identify genuine custom papers? Can some1 also buy it to like lagos and then do the custom papers there?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Apr 27, 2010
baconline:

is it d 400dollars ?

Yes, it is 400$ for the CTN.
However, will advice that you talk to a Clearing agent for the clearing and u cld sleep at night with both eyes closed while someone else worry about clearing the ride.
However, make sure you using a reliable agent.
Good luck
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 4:06pm On Apr 27, 2010
Kunle-A:

No matter what anyone say,some people will rather be penny wise and pound foolish. But hey, what can i tell them? undecided

I can still understand older cars coming tru Cotonou, but why do some people bring in perfectly legal cars tru cotonou just in a bid to save some money and start crying when they get impounded?

Beats me.

Great question . . .
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 4:09pm On Apr 27, 2010
I want to think that the best way to identifying a genuine custom paper is to take the paper to their office,it has a serial number that will be on their network and can be view online,There are lot of fake papers that have the details uploaded to their system so it cannot be detected as a fake.So i guess we could call those ones ORIGINAL cool
DaudaAbu:

A frnd told me that as far as d car comes in thru cotonou the customs pple wil disturb u.they claim that the papers are fake.that genuine papers dont come thru land border. Does that are spared are those that pass throu port. This got me wondering what of all dis cars that claim to come thru seme border and all. what is is particularly that a buyer is supposed to look for to identify genuine custom papers? Can some1 also buy it to like lagos and then do the custom papers there?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Onwan: 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2010
DaudaAbu:

A frnd told me that as far as d car comes in thru cotonou the customs pple wil disturb u.they claim that the papers are fake.that genuine papers dont come thru land border. Does that are spared are those that pass throu port. This got me wondering what of all dis cars that claim to come thru seme border and all.  what is is particularly that a buyer is supposed to look for to identify genuine custom papers? Can some1 also buy it to like lagos and then do the custom papers there?

I dont know where your friend got that info. from. Once the vehicle is in Nigeria, have the right people take care of the vehicle registration for you and you are good. The only time you will have problems is IF you drive it around before registration (with fake plates or "dealer" plates)
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by emmydee(m): 4:17pm On Apr 27, 2010
now that u know. stop bringing such old cars from Lome. get newer. get better. save more money. goodluck
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by oyinsbank: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2010
Its a shame that custom officers are doing rubbish on the highway and punishing people unnecessarily, where dem dey when the cars passed thru the border, if they mean business why cant they impound it right there, but all na corruption, some of their official will collect settlement and let the car pass, the owner is on his own if he encounters any other custom checkpoint. i think its more reasonable to leave their checkpoint only to the borders. its their failure that such cars ever pass thru the border in the first place , so they should not be harrassing people on the highway.

And even when you have the correct papers and the car came in through lagos port, they still find way to extort you.
i was once told that the duty paid on my car is too small, that they will impound the car if i dont drop something.Can you imagine !!!!!.

Useless animals.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 4:42pm On Apr 27, 2010
baconline:

Nigerian naturally want to beat any system they find themselves

baconline,

if you compare the cost of clearing through lagos and the hassles you go through driving your car in the bush, you'll see that it's just not worth it.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2010
George_D:

baconline,

if you compare the cost of clearing through lagos and the hassles you go through driving your car in the bush, you'll see that it's just not worth it.
Well Said . . . .
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by sizzlers(m): 4:55pm On Apr 27, 2010
oyinsbank:

Its a shame that custom officers are doing rubbish on the highway and punishing people unnecessarily, where dem dey when the cars passed thru the border, if they mean business why cant they impound it right there, but all na corruption, some of their official will collect settlement and let the car pass, the owner is on his own if he encounters any other custom checkpoint. i think its more reasonable to leave their checkpoint only to the borders. its their failure that such cars ever pass thru the border in the first place , so they should not be harrassing people on the highway.

And even when you have the correct papers and the car came in through lagos port, they still find way to extort you.
i was once told that the duty paid on my car is too small, that they will impound the car if i dont drop something.Can you imagine !!!!!.

Useless animals.
WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE DO WE HAVE IN THIS COUNTRY, U HAVE TO EMTY UR ACCOUNT FOR THEM TO MAKE IT BIGGER

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Correct Error In Driver's License / I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? / 5 Warning Signs Of Low Coolant In Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.