Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,577 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? (15559 Views)

Your Google Business Reviews Are Just A Click Away / They Are Not Better Than You, They Are Just Courageous / 10 Top-Employee Qualities That Require Zero Talent & Zero Certificates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 26, 2018
I finished my national diploma in accountancy September 2016 from then till this time I have not been able to do my industrial attachment. please I someone to help. I would not like to recount numbers of organisations I have been to and unconvincing excuses I got therefrom....please nairaland members I need your connection.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by hoygift(m): 4:52pm On Feb 26, 2018
In tier one (1) countries what is needed are your samples not your certificate... Please show me your previous works towards what i want then I will employ you thanks
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Ugosample(m): 4:55pm On Feb 26, 2018
Certificate is very important
knowledge and skill is also very important.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by boyjo: 4:57pm On Feb 26, 2018
JARUSHUB alot of them will not understand you. It provides some sort of consolation to them.
They don`t have a flair for business yet console themselves with that line.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 5:01pm On Feb 26, 2018
in as much as I agree with the OP about certificate and the correlation of ability, I have seen also beautiful certificates without any opportunity. the problem is there are very few jobs with so many ppl chasing dem it's almost 1:1000 ratio so all is still by luck.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by dingbang(m): 5:08pm On Feb 26, 2018
I'll create an empire where the only set of people I will employ are third class graduates..

3 Likes

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by damzy88: 5:10pm On Feb 26, 2018
telim:
This thread is for job seekers that have being brainwashed from the uni to search for a non existing job in the nook and crannies of Nigeria.

It is much better you learn a montizeable skill and earn with the skill for life. lnstead of wasting your your money and limited time cramming in the uni and graduating with first class only to end up earning monthly stipend in N-power or getting a uselesss job that earns you less or a little bit higher than your uni lecturers.

Think smart this is 21 century earn more and work less.
Bro, sent you a mail. Kindly reply. Thanks
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 26, 2018
Well to me personally I don't think certificate is just a paper.. I have been learning a vocational skill for almost 2years nw.. Then I found out that not everyone learning these skills are guaranteed to succeed. My boss just left now on his okada nw transport thins and a lot of people I know that do such just to make end meet. So no matter how hard you learn that skill you still need some education. No one knows tomorrow and life is all by lucky
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Redman44(m): 5:20pm On Feb 26, 2018
Nothing beats learning a skill and having handwork abilities. My father attended a technical school in the late 60's to early 70's. He learnt Carpentry and had his Company and workshop. My dad sent 7 of us ( his children ) to school up to University level with his Carpentry business. And dad was a very good Carpenter that he even made furniture for Embassies of other countries in Nigeria. Today, Carpentry is becoming a very lucrative trade in Nigeria if you know what you are doing. Many teenagers don't need to attend University or Polytechnics these days. They should look into attending Technical Colleges where they can gain skills for life. Going to a Technical College or Vocational School does not mean you won't be able to measure up with your age mates. They might have paper qualifications, but you have technical qualifications and hand work skills which can bring you money on a daily basis, if you can advertise your services well. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Misscaring(f): 5:41pm On Feb 26, 2018
lordpherow98:
When work is a pleasure, life is a joy.
When work is duty, life is slavery.

I left my white collar job after my boss taunted me the 2nd time, just because i didn't serve this shithole nation.

Today I've got what my ex boss dreams for.
Fortunately for me, we leave in the same estate currently. He pays me so much respect now.

#TheStreetMadeMe
#Life of a broke chaser

Success is always the best revenge..

1 Like

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Misscaring(f): 5:46pm On Feb 26, 2018
Ugosample:
Certificate is very important
knowledge and skill is also very important.

Someone created the job we are hunting for, we should rather create ours.
Skills and business oriented goes a long way

3 Likes

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by chrispapi11(m): 5:47pm On Feb 26, 2018
Indeed you are a first class "UPPER" holder. MTcheww sad sad sad sad i Hail you ooo

Grupo:
What of me that graduated with first class upper?
Any hope for me?

1 Like

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by chrispapi11(m): 5:50pm On Feb 26, 2018
Hian! This is the reason why some of you don't pass interview and you will be calling your village people. Oga which one is "Application the Knowledge" Jixos!

braine:
Having the certificate is just by the way. Application the knowledge acquired is the true display of education.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Oroayemidayo1996(m): 6:05pm On Feb 26, 2018
is nemah a graduate

1 Like

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by vaxx: 6:14pm On Feb 26, 2018
JARUSHUB:
James is a brilliant young man, at least going by his contributions in various discussions – from politics, sports to information technology. At 25, he already has three years’ experience – not in any workplace, but experience sitting at home and roaming the streets of Victoria Island, seen as the Wall Street of Nigeria. He graduated four years ago from a top university in South-West Nigeria and he completed his mandatory youth service a year later. Since then, he’s been dropping his CVs off everywhere, from the high-rise buildings of Victoria Island to the “middle-rises” of Ikeja and the bungalow-offices of Lekki. He has applied for countless of advertised and unsolicited vacancies, online and offline, but he has never been called for any job test or interview.

James speaks very fluent English. He is also handsome, to boot. But there has not been any opportunity for James to speak his Queen’s English to the employers. No opportunity to get the recruiters to see how fittingly those suits sit on him and his signature disarming smile cannot help either. The issue here is: Employers look at James’ first degree certificate and see a third class grade. And they have more than enough to choose from, from the pool of applicants with second class upper and first class.

James is one of the thousands of students who were fond of arguing in school that certificates are just papers; that the class of degree does not matter. Isn’t it easier to play safe by proving that one is competitive in the events (academics) leading to the acquisition of that certificate? How will an employer who doesn’t know you from the next person know of your ability if you didn’t do well in your academics? Is it not fair to rely on your past – basically summarised on your certificate – as the record of your worthiness?

If another person bested you in academics, graduating better grades, what will prove to me, the employer that you can do better on the job? How will you convince me that you’re better than that person? Is it economical for the employer to invite the whole world for his job test? There has to be something set so as to prune down the thousands of applications and manage the invited applicants at a cost-effective level? At the entry level, your certificate – which, contrary to popular belief, is not just paper, but a summary of your performance in the higher institution over the last three to six years – is the easiest pointer to your past, the few shortcomings of this approach notwithstanding.

While conceding the fact that certificates do not always correlate with intelligence or smartness, I believe that it does, in most cases, summarises one’s ability to a potential employer. To me, the use of certificates as a basis in shortlisting entry-level candidates for job tests and interviews is still the best approach. The recruitment process will then sieve out the incompetent ones along the way. And if they do manage to beat the recruitment system, they cannot beat the internal performance appraisal system when they finally settle in on the job.

http://www.jarushub.com/certificates-are-just-papers-really/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

This is indeed not so encouraging, are you indirectly telling us we should acquire a degree to become a cooperate slave? i think the purpose of a degree should independently allow us to survive and strive on our own without relying to be enlisted on someone payrolls. The smart create job and employed the intelligent folks . school should trained us how to be smart and not a dependable tools.....even if we must be a member of any working team before we can set up our own objectives. i will still say certificate is not a good tools to pull the list of brilliant minds...the way forward should be what we can do instead of what we have.

A cooperate IT hub will likely employ you base on what you can do instead of the certificate you bring on board. there are already many ways to cut down cost... job specification , job requirement, job vision and mission are all there. A good employee should tailored his need according to these objective.. each jobs has a problem that is expected to be solved by their potential employee , applicants interested in the jobs, should be able to solve the problem of the job...it cost time and resources training a new employees....competency should be the key to employment and not academic certificate. ....

i am tempted to say i will employ a competent clerk instead of a first class degree holder of accountancy without competent skills in my accounting firm. it will safe me the cost of training and also improve productivity of the firm.... Knowledge is not power, ability makes the difference

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by gotnel: 6:24pm On Feb 26, 2018
Certificate is good for employment opportunities when you are starting.
Let us also know that certain people who are specifically controlling the economy are not graded by any institution.
Make sure you are relevant to the society of today because there are many things to do with your type of knowledge.
Knowledge is power. It could be knowledge from school or from the streets, even your native intuitive can make you the real thing.
After all, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and many others at the helm of many big conglomerate are school dropout.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by AZeD1(m): 6:25pm On Feb 26, 2018
Ecgigoddy:
Although Certificates does not mean everything I must lend my voice in saying that it means a lot especially at the early stages. Certificate is the first point of contact between an employer and an employee. Certificate is the first method of sorting out boys from men. Jus put yourself in the position of an employer and then you see a first class and a Pass.
I just finished my NYSC and am working now by God's grace at Abuja. My certificate and not even connection got me the job. The first thing I was told in the interview was a compliment on my Certificate and CV content. Please let's study hard in school and know what we are there for.
In all the places I have worked in, I can't remember them asking me what I graduated with.

1 Like

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by erek(m): 6:32pm On Feb 26, 2018
I went to school for six years and I'm currently a serving corper......so make I go learn work after service or during service to tell d word I'm good to go....its just NIGERIA.....since half baked graduates are everywhere and d education system is not as standard asit ought to....SOMEBODY GO COME TELL ME NOW SUY THAT SIX YEARS NA RUBBISH...so wetin man go do......
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by millionboi2: 6:50pm On Feb 26, 2018
AfricanElite:
Life ain't all about being a cooperate slave.
this Chinese man ah
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Xisnin(m): 6:53pm On Feb 26, 2018
AfricanElite:
Life ain't all about being a cooperate slave.
What other skills have you learned Mr. Jack?
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by KillerBeauty(f): 6:59pm On Feb 26, 2018
Study hard in school and graduate with a good grade. If you can pass through the rigors of the academic life in school and come out successful you can as well be successful in any area of life you choose. Don't undermine or downplay your education. You will definitely need that certificate in the future whether you choose to work for yourself or work for others. My motto is "Anything worth doing is worth doing well"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Alhkerimu(m): 7:00pm On Feb 26, 2018
if you refer a certificate to a mere paper that is your own believed and perspective.
Certificate matter a lot especialy to those who value it, who take their time and did enormously well while they are in school.
A competent an a brilliant graduate out there, who went to either university or polytechnic and graduated with a good grade will never called or insinuate certificate as a paper..
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by muredo(m): 8:55pm On Feb 26, 2018
It depends on the perspective we used to see it
To some,is a paper,to some is an important element.
To me o,with the grace of God,what my certificate has earned me is even more than if am working.I have never worked with it, what people called a paper is a very powerful weapon to compete with the rest of the world.Ask me,I will admonish you to put in for foreign opportunities, you will realise it carries weight.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by olemx(m): 11:35pm On Feb 26, 2018
nrexzy:
Word.

We attach so much to certificates and end up not practicing

I bet you didn't read the post.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by kestino(m): 3:48am On Feb 27, 2018
The issue of certificate is what i don't really fancy, you will see graduate with first class result, but creating something in that field is a problem. I believe in what can you do in your skill. I learnt something important from an india movie "3 idiots" follow excellence and success will chase you pant down.
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Dicklaw(m): 4:31am On Feb 27, 2018
Grupo:
Any hope for me?

from which university?
smh..Nigerians!
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Dicklaw(m): 4:57am On Feb 27, 2018
always be diligent in whatever you do, I hate it when people joke with their academics, why did u choose school in the first place when u know that u won't be serious with it..?
most people will tell you that certificate is no longer necessary rather depend so much to leverage on connections they claim to have..that's bad
during my university days, after semester exams I normal engage myself in different skills till I graduated from unn last year & it never affected my studies at all..rather than roaming around the street claiming that we're break, but nowadays we youths are feeling to big & proud to do such jobs..nobody is willing to start from the scratch & learn, we all want to achieve success overnight, bt it doesn't work like that, life is all abt one step at a go..YOUR CERTIFICATE IS VERY IMPORTANT, atleast it's an evidence that u were serious with your studies back in school.

2 Likes

Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 27, 2018
I have many f una wey graduated with same grade. One don marry, the other lecturer but not fulfilled and the last same state with you.
Grupo:
Any hope for me?
Re: Certificates Are Just Papers: Really? by datemax: 9:00pm On Feb 27, 2018
Having a certificate is not enough. Graduates should pick u vocational skills that is in demand.

[url]vocational skills in demand[/url]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Major In Petroleum Engineering Or Chemical Engineering? / Continue With Job Or Complete Msc Program / Lagos State Ministry Of Health Sacks Health Care Workers In The State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.