Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:21 PM

Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? (11101 Views)

Should President Muhammadu Buhari Resign? - Sahara Reporters Poll (Screenshot) / Should President Buhari Contest In 2019? Abuja Residents Share Their Opinions (v / Man Fulfill The Promise He Made, Should President Buhari Return(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 26, 2018
His "embrace" is not important.
he MUST go back to his ranch in daura, by force!

1 Like

Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 1:31pm On Feb 26, 2018
[s]
yarimo:
If not for majority of Nigerians begging BUHARI to continue as president till 2023, he won't be thinking of any re election in 2019.
[/s]

When will you have sense?

1 Like

Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Phelix01(m): 1:33pm On Feb 26, 2018
Na him know

Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by michoim(m): 1:35pm On Feb 26, 2018
Not applicable in Nigeria. Different options may be applicable to different places. Mandelas case not exactly like Nigeria's case.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Harrynight(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2018
Am at a point where nothing bothers me, surprise me or concern me anymore.
If Buhari like mek he run in 2019 if he like mek he go back to daura.
Mandela send a message To obj he ignored n was disgraced. Obj message to GEJ he ignored n was shown the road to bayalsa.
Obj now message Buhari...

Me: I luv to take a bow when the ovation is high
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Liberator007(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2018
Mariangeles:
The question is not whether Buhari wants to seek reelection or not (he has the right to do so transparently) because all things being free and fair, he'll definitely lose...The real question is whether he'll be honourable enough to concede defeat and relinquish power...?
A very valid point you have raised

1 Like

Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by opribo(m): 1:44pm On Feb 26, 2018
The man has no handwork or business acumen. Therefore he cannot survive without recourse to tax payers fund henc he must seek re election in a do or die manner.

1 Like

Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by deebsman1(m): 1:44pm On Feb 26, 2018
If the president should explore that option, who is to replace him? Surely the north will want to use 8 years finished thereby the 2 leading political parties will want to field a northerner, and the only northerner I can vote for is El Rufai despite his shortcomings.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by mema900: 1:46pm On Feb 26, 2018
yarimo:
If not for majority of Nigerians begging BUHARI to continue as president till 2023, he won't be thinking of any re election in 2019.

Aboki.....will you keep quite!!!
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Abogwara: 1:49pm On Feb 26, 2018
North using style to extend their rule to 2031 under Obasanjo's promise of equating South's 1999 to 2015. Buhari must complete his tenure so that Presidency will move South in 2023.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by LZAA: 1:59pm On Feb 26, 2018
Opinionated:

By Kurtis Adigba

After the public statement issued by former President Obasanjo, wherein he unsolicitedly advised president Buhari to “dismount the horse” and not seek for re-election in 2019, the calls for Buhari, to embrace the Mandela option have become very loud amongst supporters of the former president.

What is the Mandela option?

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, an outstanding South African anti- apartheid revolutionary, was elected the first president of South Africa in 1994 for a term of 5 years. He was the country’s first black head of state and the first elected in fully representative democratic election. He also served as the president of the African National Congress (ANC) from 1991-1997.
Mandela, was jailed by the Apartheid government of South Africa with some of his revolutionary colleagues such as Govan Mbeki, Ahmed Kadrada, Jacob Zuma, and so many others. Mandela spent almost 30 years in jail. He rejected so many deals that would secured his personal freedom without his colleagues. Madiba, as he is affectionately called by his adoring supporters, was in prison during most of his active and productive years. He sacrificed the love and comforts of his young family for the struggles to free the people. He did not see his young children grow, neither did he see his young beautiful wife, Winnie Mandela, grow into the powerful woman she became. His family life and business suffered, but Madiba, stood firm on his demands for a just,fair, and equal society that will guarantee liberty for all. Madiba, was for shared, inclusive prosperity for all South Africans, irrespective of race, color, language, and status.

In 1990, after a negotiated deal that guaranteed freedom for Mandela and his compatriots, ( the deal was negotiated by the current President Ramophosa) and the dismantling of the apartheid government, Mandela, was released. He was elected the leader of the ANC in 1991. In the 1994 election which followed the amendment of the Constitution, he was elected president of the RSA for a term of 5 years. His deputy at the time, was Thabo Mbeki. Thabo, is the cerebral and well spoken son of Govan Mbeki.

In the run-up to the election, Mandela, never wanted to be president. He preferred his compatriot, Govan Mbeki to be president. Govan Mbeki and others, on the other hand, wanted Mandela. And so, they reached a compromise whereby Mandela will be president and Thabo Mbeki, will be his deputy. Mandela’s major focus, was the dismantling of the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalized racism and fostering racial reconciliation. He established the Truth and Reconciliation Commission headed by Reverend Desmond Tutu for this purpose. He was a uniting figure and achieved so much in his first term. He was widely expected to seek re-election in 1999.

In 1998, Mandela announced that he will not be seeking re-election. He said he had substantially accomplished his purpose in government, and needed to spend more time with his family. The leadership of the ANC tried in vain to get him to change his mind. In 1999, after 5 years as president, Madiba retired from the presidency and politics. His action, was applauded by the entire world. This decision not to seek re-election, is what is known as the Mandela option.

In 2006, when it was being rumoured that President Obasanjo was intent on seeking a third term in office, Madiba, wrote him a letter warning against such illegality. Obasanjo’s attack dogs, criticized Mandela for what was then described as interfering with the internal affairs of Nigeria based on mere speculation. The same people who are now citing the Mandela option as reason why President Buhari shouldn’t run for a re-election that is constitutional, did not accept Mandela’s counsel not to pursue an illegality! Obasanjo sought a third term and failed.

Should Buhari follow the Mandela Option?

The decision is for Buhari to make depending on his personal circumstances, and the thinking of his party. This is not a decision for the opposition, or some few powerful elites to make. I concede that the Mandela option, is a good factor to consider, but it cannot be the only factor. It is one out of many factors to consider. President Buhari, is legally entitled to seek re-election, and cannot be forced out of the race.

To all the people worried about the prospect of Buhari losing the election, please don’t lose sleep over it. Buhari, had lost in 3 previous elections, it is nothing new to him.

The opposition should mobilize to defeat President Buhari at the polls instead of harassing him with the Mandela option. If Buhari, is indeed a poor president, why is the opposition and the Coalition Movement worried, or troubled by the prospects of his running in the election? It should be good news for them!

source: http://www.opinions.ng/president-buhari-embrace-mandela-option/

the tozo will be kicked out despite all the plans to rig
btw mandela and buhari in the same sentence is an insult
one is a legend the other is a quota system product
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by NothingDoMe: 2:00pm On Feb 26, 2018
NonFarmPayrol:
the cow should win second term please

buhari till zombies beg for bread grin grin grin grin grin

wetin concern us, those who voted him are suffering the most

check the "statistacs" His dullness is international cheesy cheesy cheesy
cheesy. Honestly you need to see them queuing for fuel and complaining. Even Omenka ran to the east for safety when yawa gas for him area.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by sokera: 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2018
Some group of people are underground working against the success of Nigeria , and they have local and international support ... they are behind Hoko Haram , deadly Fulani Herdmen, Millantcy, and Economic sabotage but I pray May Almighty God disgrace and expose them ... Nigeria will be great again ..
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Kutigi0332: 2:20pm On Feb 26, 2018
Mariangeles:
The question is not whether Buhari wants to seek reelection or not (he has the right to do so transparently) because all things being free and fair, he'll definitely lose...The real question is whether he'll be honourable enough to concede defeat and relinquish power...?
And y r u concern abt him relinguishing power or not...if he refuses to do so it simply means dere wil b crises, some pple will be killed may u included and den later d international community wil force him out. So u hv no cos to worry at al
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Kutigi0332: 2:20pm On Feb 26, 2018
Mariangeles:
And y r u concern abt him relinguishing power or not...if he refuses to do so it simply means dere wil b crises, some pple will be killed may u included and den later d international community wil force him out. So u hv no cos to worry at al.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by nothernstar: 2:23pm On Feb 26, 2018
yarimo:
hahaha your mumu dey smell. Buy sence pls
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Bimpe29: 2:36pm On Feb 26, 2018
Hmm! In my opinion, Buhari will do us more good if he give nod to noble Mandela Option.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Mariangeles(f): 2:37pm On Feb 26, 2018
[s]
Kutigi0332:
And y r u concern abt him relinguishing power or not...if he refuses to do so it simply means dere wil b crises, some pple will be killed may u included[/s] and den later d international community wil force him out. So u hv no cos to worry at al.
fixed!
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by godliman: 2:45pm On Feb 26, 2018
[quote author=modelmike7 post=65384726]YES, after 2023......

In Buhari, we 'sane' ones believe....
Nigeria must be great again![/quot
Who lied to you that you re sane? LOL i mean politically. I think supporters of buhari are politically insane.

1 Like

Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by hoha4life(m): 2:47pm On Feb 26, 2018
I strongly believe that the 1 billion dollars withdrawal from excess crude account under the pretext of fighting boko haram is actually to fund GMB re election.

If only this gonment can be truthful, lies and propaganda everywhere and every time. This country should be divided so we all have peace.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Bimpe29: 2:51pm On Feb 26, 2018
Hmm! In my opinion, Buhari will do us more good if he give nod to noble Mandela Option.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by maasoap(m): 3:05pm On Feb 26, 2018
Opinionated:

The decision is for Buhari to make depending on his personal circumstances, and the thinking of his party. This is not a decision for the opposition, or some few powerful elites to make. I concede that the Mandela option, is a good factor to consider, but it cannot be the only factor. It is one out of many factors to consider. President Buhari, is legally entitled to seek re-election, and cannot be forced out of the race.

To all the people worried about the prospect of Buhari losing the election, please don’t lose sleep over it. Buhari, had lost in 3 previous elections, it is nothing new to him.

The opposition should mobilize to defeat President Buhari at the polls instead of harassing him with the Mandela option. If Buhari, is indeed a poor president, why is the opposition and the Coalition Movement worried, or troubled by the prospects of his running in the election? It should be good news for them!

Don't mind wailers and other PDP Yam eaters. They've been looking for an easy way to come back in 2019.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by MrMystrO(m): 3:11pm On Feb 26, 2018
HeyCorleone:
He should just bow out now that the ovation is still fairly loud.

Otherwise he'd go down in the history of infamy, and I see the US intervening such as they did in Libya.

Please, Can you enlighten me on what you feel was the reason for US intervention in Libya?
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by maasoap(m): 3:14pm On Feb 26, 2018
Kutigi0332:
And y r u concern abt him relinguishing power or not...if he refuses to do so it simply means dere wil b crises, some pple will be killed may u included and den later d international community wil force him out. So u hv no cos to worry at al.
Some nairalanders no get joy, walahi! Why not use yourself as an example of people who will get killed in 2019 since the opinion that there will be crises and deaths is yours?
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by justtoodark: 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2018
make una no go get una voters card to vote him out....keep on blowing hot air online....
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by lonlytroy(m): 3:26pm On Feb 26, 2018
yarimo:

Yes because they are after his looted money
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by HeyCorleone(m): 4:42pm On Feb 26, 2018
MrMystrO:

Please, Can you enlighten me on what you feel was the reason for US intervention in Libya?

The perceived threat that Gaddafi was maltreating his people. So they sponsored a movement within the state, then "intervened".

Hope you get the idea.
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by Klins2000(m): 4:47pm On Feb 26, 2018
KIP KWAYET
yarimo:
Re: Should President Buhari Embrace The Mandela Option? by DONFASZY(m): 5:38pm On Feb 26, 2018
If I c Buhari name for anywhere nw?my mind dey cut
I tink I saw it online dat I ve buhariphobia

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity Looms As Tanker Drivers Suspend Petroleum Products Loading / Tinubu Congratulates Bishop Peter Okpaleke's Elevation As Cardinal / Warning:tell Nigerians To Flee From USA Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.