Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,444 members, 7,830,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! (21800 Views)

Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Quit My Job Or Not? / Why I Lost My Job At An Airtel Shop Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Ayodejioak(m): 11:03pm On Feb 28, 2018
Im surprised as to how many Current/ Previous waiters we have in here

Funny enough, they all said almost the same thing

I like it when people know their stuff irrespective of how the world sees it

3 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Abogwara: 11:04pm On Feb 28, 2018
mightychuks:
The waiters always get the drinks themselves,then write the items on the stockbook on my table, I'll write the price of the item in a similar way like I'm signing, I serv customers too. My boss insists that customers relaxing in the bar should be

Your waiters are the culprits.
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Nobody: 11:06pm On Feb 28, 2018
That work no be here. You must Macho to do work like that because some crazy folks would like to take advantage of you.
A lot of people have given you some pieces of advises, please select from there.
To everyone that reasonably contributed, may your candles not burn out.

6 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 28, 2018
Abogwara:

Your waiters are the culprits.
Exactly.
May your trousers never bore holes.
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by TerrorSquad147: 11:07pm On Feb 28, 2018
mightychuks:
Hey fam, do any one have any experience as a bar tender/man that might help me by giving me clues on how to survive on the job. In just my first 2 months the shortages I have incurred has passed my 12k salary. Any advice will go a long way cos I gats survive and this job is the only hope I have of not starving to death yet. Please!!!
let me tell you the gospel truth, your supervisor/manager is the one stealing the drinks. Always make sure you count all the drinks you put in the fridge and lock it always. Don't ever give anyone the key, not even your supervisor/manager

4 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Nobody: 11:16pm On Feb 28, 2018
Hey man, respect for your hardwork and belief in yourself. Keep it up bro.

3 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by stevesharon: 11:21pm On Feb 28, 2018
He be like say na snake dey swallow the drinks and na him dey cause your shortages...
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by grandstar(m): 11:25pm On Feb 28, 2018
mightychuks:
Mostly old customers tend to use the bar and few new ones that come there cannot afford any inflation that exceeds #50 on each bottle (our drinks are already expensive enough). When serving potential big guys/men, our manager will start hovering like a fly to know how mu4#ch you sold the drinks to them. If you add one Naira na problem be that o. Today will make it the second month I'm going empty handed in that company. Jesu!!

Quit the job. Period!

Trust me, you'll survive

4 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by maasoap(m): 11:28pm On Feb 28, 2018
mightychuks:
I've tried that severally which was met withl fighting,bashing and threats that I'm not the first barman in that company, since I'm new to the area, I just respect myself. I'll keep going, as long as there's life there's hope, no be my own worse pass. Thank You.
Then, why are you still seeking advice because it looks like you don't need one. Rather, it looks like you needed attention more than advice going by this response of yours.

4 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by lordswill03: 11:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
Bros I Can totally relate. It has happened to me before and o later found out that it was my supposedly Paddy that will always come and steal my money. Please always make sure you don't let anybody in behind your counter no matter what. Sorry bro, I can feel your pain.
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Jobabori(m): 11:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
I do not own a beer parlour but the problem discussed by the OP is common to all bar men. Assuming that you are leaving in Ibadan, I could have advise you to go to Top one Hotel Podo for better tutoring. A well structure system that discouraged the problem you are passing through.
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by airsaylongcon: 11:30pm On Feb 28, 2018
mightychuks:
Bro, this one is different, if I was a waiter it'll preferable, I'm in charge of drinks, loading,chilling and dispensing drinks and some eatables to both waiters and few customers. Each day I work my stuck I'll be getting shortages of 1-3k everyday!!! No matter how careful I am, and I earn 400 per day. E tire me o! Hey! Na die I dey so o.

Get your boss to deploy an Checkout System that supports open tickets. There are a few affordable (in some cases free) solutions. But your boss might will have to pay the IT expert to deploy and train staff on usage. He'd be surprised the level of visibility he'd gain from such solutions

1 Like

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Lexusgs430: 11:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
mightychuks:
Hey fam, do any one have any experience as a bar tender/man that might help me by giving me clues on how to survive on the job. In just my first 2 months the shortages I have incurred has passed my 12k salary. Any advice will go a long way cos I gats survive and this job is the only hope I have of not starving to death yet. Please!!!

How are you experiencing this shortages? Customers not paying or you not handing over correct amount of change?
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by ikept(m): 11:45pm On Feb 28, 2018
wisino1:
Let me tell you the secret(1) put close eyes on your waiters don't allow them enter your fridge to collect drinks by them self no matter how familiar always have a note and Biro when you resume write down the names of each waiters on different column any drinks they collect from you write it down against their column so you don't make mistake ,when taking over from shift count your drinks very well to make sure it is correct......I don't know how your bar is structure because the customer is not to order from you they will order from the waiter then the waiter comes to you and you give the waiter the drinks so the waiter is the one to collect money from the customer and pay you that is why I said be careful with your waiter
You said my mind. OP Pls try dis method, as it is from an experienced barman. cool
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by afbstrategies: 11:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
akeentech:
I am a loser

grin

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by pazienza(m): 11:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
mightychuks:
I've tried that severally which was met withl fighting,bashing and threats that I'm not the first barman in that company, since I'm new to the area, I just respect myself. I'll keep going, as long as there's life there's hope, no be my own worse pass. Thank You.

If this is your mindset, then I can comfortably say that you deserve no more than your current ordeal.

1 Like

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by skare: 11:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
Buy jotters or tell d owner of d bar to buy jotters, share it among the waitress and number them ie 1-to Wat ever , write their names on top.Now each time u give them or they order for drinks let them write it down, then u mark it till that page is complete u turn to the next page.make sure u mark each bottle of drink the order.At the closing time u calculate the total and give them to pay u.
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Nobody: 11:57pm On Feb 28, 2018
OP no vex.. I no get advice for you but Na the salary I dey reason. 4h per day undecided 12k per month

E weak me embarassed

Make all man go outside! �
We need try fumigate this country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Opoki(m): 12:15am On Mar 01, 2018
chloride6:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

The key OP is to not RUSH yourself

Never rush yourself.

Keep your drinks and cash locked

Remember never rush yourself

Na the word be that if he go understand shaar
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by zubinike(m): 12:21am On Mar 01, 2018
mightychuks:

Shortages come via so many channels
1- book of recording
2- taking stock in the morning, and before u shut down
3- be the bearer of your keys to the freezers, give account before handover
4- don't sell drinks on imm(because u know the man)
5- have an audit on your stock on drinks and sales every 3hours
6- redeem debts and also add back recovered debts to stock on drinks
7- chat me up on 07038839641, I will give u tips on survival
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by nigerfine: 12:36am On Mar 01, 2018
afbstrategies:

There's no relationship between what you described here and the profile picture you put on your dp here. I was going to help you out but got turned off by that picture and the fact that you only made 7 posts on Nairaland.
I disagree with you.i checked his profile it shows hope , likeness for good thing.
Op which town are you living. I might help

2 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Pharaoh001(f): 12:45am On Mar 01, 2018
mightychuks:
Bro, this one is different, if I was a waiter it'll preferable, I'm in charge of drinks, loading,chilling and dispensing drinks and some eatables to both waiters and few customers. Each day I work my stuck I'll be getting shortages of 1-3k everyday!!! No matter how careful I am, and I earn 400 per day. E tire me o! Hey! Na die I dey so o.

it's called experience......... as time goes.. you'll be come smart and realize a lot money back... Diminishing return at first instance..

2 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Obo8405(m): 12:59am On Mar 01, 2018
mightychuks:

so you want to be working for free or at loss,look in some profession you have to very strict n hard hearted to survive ,its better you're not working than working for free ,take a bold step ,go thru d comments here apply some of suggested advice n stand by it ,worst case scenario dem go sack you which is better in my own view

1 Like

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Lexxyyla(m): 1:17am On Mar 01, 2018
What kind of Bar setting do you operate? Do you serve directly to customers or through the Waiters and waitresses? Do you make use of docket?
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Nobody: 1:36am On Mar 01, 2018
mightychuks:
hold your co workers responsible, probably one one em de run you street.
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by muller101(m): 1:56am On Mar 01, 2018
femi4:
Inflate the price of drinks for customers that you know can afford it.

2. Tax them once in a while and know their names
see advise.
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by muller101(m): 1:58am On Mar 01, 2018
mightychuks:
served by the barman/barlady alone. To make it worse,the back of the bar have an exit door to the kitchen that is always open. No matter how I position myself to see all the fridges at all times shortage go still show itself the following day. Even the manager na scammer, I have caught him severally manipulating my stocks to give me shortage. I just tire. Do honest people have a living chance in this world at all?
report him to the appropriate authority.
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Ossaifamous(m): 2:12am On Mar 01, 2018
mightychuks:
As a formwr bar supervisor, i know the problem

Your fridge is not lock or it is from the store... Just talk 2 ur manager 2 get u a key for those places
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by Ossaifamous(m): 2:13am On Mar 01, 2018
wisino1:
Let me tell you the secret(1) put close eyes on your waiters don't allow them enter your fridge to collect drinks by them self no matter how familiar always have a note and Biro when you resume write down the names of each waiters on different column any drinks they collect from you write it down against their column so you don't make mistake ,when taking over from shift count your drinks very well to make sure it is correct......I don't know how your bar is structure because the customer is not to order from you they will order from the waiter then the waiter comes to you and you give the waiter the drinks so the waiter is the one to collect money from the customer and pay you that is why I said be careful with your waiter
Tuale
Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by DonGotti(m): 2:24am On Mar 01, 2018
mightychuks:
served by the barman/barlady alone. To make it worse,the back of the bar have an exit door to the kitchen that is always open. No matter how I position myself to see all the fridges at all times shortage go still show itself the following day. Even the manager na scammer, I have caught him severally manipulating my stocks to give me shortage. I just tire. Do honest people have a living chance in this world at all?

Hi chuks:

I just tried to send you a mail...send me your details make I send you small something.....I know life is hard and it can be a pot of beans..pele...e go be...sorry ehn but take the advice seriously or find another job before dem give you heart attack.

Hola!

3 Likes

Re: Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! by afbstrategies: 2:47am On Mar 01, 2018
nigerfine:
I disagree with you.i checked his profile it shows hope , likeness for good thing.
Op which town are you living. I might help

Good for both of you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Go Back To School At Age 40 / Oyo State Government. Jerks Up Workers’ Salaries / I Lost My Job Because I Complained Of Poor Working Condition!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.