Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges (15250 Views)

Shortcut To Death: Abuja Residents Shun Pedestrian Bridges / Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has Pedestrian Bridges That Nobody Uses / Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba Has The Highest Number Of Pedestrian Bridges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by CaptainBUGGY: 1:13pm On Feb 28, 2018
People wu are scared of heights too, I knew how I felt the first time I climbed a 3 storey building, my leg was just shaking somehow and my eyes we like wanting to come out if their sockets....... Thank God I don't stay in lag tho, woulda fallen off one of them bridges due to fear
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by LaudableXX: 1:28pm On Feb 28, 2018
AutoReportNG:
5. The bridges were too high
One of the major complains of the people is the height of the bridges, most bridges were constructed in a manner as if you were going to Mount Zion to see God's face and this has to pose lots of issues to the users. Some ladies find it difficult using the bridges as they complain of back pains especially those on heels. Example of this bridge can be found at Lekki Phase 1, the company that constructed the bridge ought to be flogged.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/02/reasons-why-lagosians-hate-using.html
Those who designed and constructed the pedestrian bridge at Lekki Phase 1 roundabout should be flogged, and made to run up the steps at high speed, while receiving serious strokes of the cane. angry

The steps are too steep and much higher in depth, than those of other bridges in Lagos. I am a safety advocate, and I always use the pedestrian bridges wherever I find them as long as they are not located in a dark, deserted area prone to criminal activity. undecided However, I will definitely never use the pedestrian bridge at night, as most of them do not have lights or reflectors, or anything to illuminate the entire area.

You cannot compare the shallow steps of the pedestrian bridge at CMS bus stop in Marina, with the one at Lekki Phase 1 roundabout. sad The one on Marina is so easy to navigate, and you can run up and down the steps, without any discomfort. You cannot try that on the Lekki Phase 1 bridge with its steep slopes, and difficult height. Any misstep upon the staircase, is bound to become treacherous, and you could slip badly, and end up falling on the road.

Who would then pick up your medical bill, if that happens? shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by LaudableXX: 1:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
Shukusheka:
The idea that Lagosians do this because they are unintelligent is the easy answer. And it's also the wrongest answer to anyone who does anything different from you.

Human behaviour (including that of Lagosians) is driven mostly by a perception of what the person considers good for them. Depending on the person, that could be good right now or good later on. And what is defined as good often is influenced by what has been good in the past.

Apply that to Lagos, keeping in mind that Lagos rewards speed ("Be smart! Be sharp!" is probably the one of the first things a Lagos kid learns.) So we are conditioned to think ourselves smart when we do things that feel sharp.

(This also explains why we cut each other off in traffic, run red lights and go against traffic on one-way roads: each of those things represents moving faster, and therefore smarter.)

Which is why @ Chuksjuve above is right to say the major reason is our need to do things with speed.

The secondary reason, however, is the emotional sense of reward that comes from being "faster," which proves that we're "smarter."

So the Lagosian thinking is going something like this: "I'm smart enough to cross the road without getting hit! And those people who get hit obviously weren't as smart as I am."

And so, at this point I would disagree with those who say it's impatience. No, it's more like personal pride. And to tackle it, we have to:

Show proof of speed (something no pedestrian bridge I know of could keep up with).

Create disincentives against crossing bridges (which is the idea behind arresting those who do) — the problem with this is, it's very labour-intensive, and ultimately makes no sense.

Run a campaign to tell a different story about what it means to cross the road and why that is the smarter thing to do — not just based on statistics which only appeals to intellect (and is hardly ever a basis for decisions), but in a way that appeals to emotion.

Has it occurred to you that some people are scared of heights, too? shocked I am not saying that rushing across a busy expressway is the answer, but if traffic lights are properly positioned and obeyed, then those scared of heights could use the pedestrian crossing while the lights are red, to cross the road from one side to the other. Fear of heights is called Acrophobia. undecided People with acrophobia feel a sense of panic, when they stand at a certain height, and are wobbly or unable to achieve a sense of balance, once they are above the ground. Just saying...
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Oliver80(m): 1:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
Please people should try their best to always use the pedestrian bridge, I witnessed an accident last night, the guy died at the spot when he was hired by a Mercedes Car while he was trying to cross the road.

Please we all should be careful
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 28, 2018
I use to wonder where all the lagosians are always in a hurry to.
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Abogwara: 2:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
Since I was born the only foot/pedestrian bridge I've ever seen in use in Port Harcourt is that of NDDC at Aba road.
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Ennny(f): 3:08pm On Feb 28, 2018
just like traffic light is punishment for danfo and tricycle drivers. some people sees pedestrian bridges as punishment.
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Rozaytee: 4:15pm On Feb 28, 2018
they hate using pedestrian bridge.. dats y some of dem die like chickens...mtcheeew

1 Like

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by AleksAndria: 4:23pm On Feb 28, 2018
Never have i crossed any expressway in Lagos, I don't even think about it, just find my way to the nearest pedestrian bridge.
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by marlon9321: 5:24pm On Feb 28, 2018
The truth is there is no enough time to start climbing the bridge. I am a victim too. I was caught by those hungry police men one day and was detained for 3hrs becuase I refuse to follow the bridge. People are much in Lagos, you have to apply shorter method sometimes
Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Unclerukus: 9:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
Joedanish:
Want to make a $100 a day.

Click the link below.
Even millions of Americans don't make that a day. Go scam elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Why Lagosians Hate Using The Pedestrian Bridges by Tunks2017(m): 11:22pm On Feb 28, 2018
Using the pedestrian bridge must be made compulsory by law in Lagos ............ shocked
Lagosians are the most impatient people in the world.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Easter: Abuja Airport Witnesses Traffic Upsurge / Omojuwa, 24 Others Blacklisted By Arik Air [see Full List] / Private Firm, SecureID To Manage Abuja-Kaduna Rail E-Ticket For 10 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.