Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd - Pets (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd (147926 Views)

Diary Of Boomer The Boerboel / Bella And Sparo The Boerboel / My Boerboel And Neapolitan Mastiff All Grown And Sexy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 12:00pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

2-3 years in mass
18 months in height
yes!
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 1:01pm On Jan 08, 2020
jl115:

Usually at around 18 months they reach their height..... However they still grow in bulk up to 2.5 years

The reason to keep them lean is to keep as much weight of their joints as possible until the joints are fully developed.

Nice information, Thanks goodness augusto isn't looking fat, obese or too heavy either
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 1:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

2-3 years in mass
18 months in height

Thanks bro
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 3:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
vincentjk:

Nice information, Thanks goodness augusto isn't looking fat, obese or too heavy either
that's what I was trying to tell you when I was saying Augusto's weight is good for his age and the mass will come later.
if Augusto should have his adult mass right now he'll be limping or his legs will be shaking while he's walking, his joints will just be a mess.
just feed him well and let him grow naturally, you'll notice the mass increase when he's older.
large-giant breed dogs shouldn't be bulky like adults as puppies, it's very bad for them, although it also doesn't mean your dog should be underweight too.. there's an estimated recommended weight per age and sex for each breed.

here's the official BB weight chart in case you want to monitor his weight wink

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 3:54pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

that's what I was trying to tell you when I was saying Augusto's weight is good for his age and the mass will come later.
if Augusto should have his adult mass right now he'll be limping or his legs will be shaking while he's walking, his joints will just be a mess.
just feed him well and let him grow naturally, you'll notice the mass increase when he's older.
large-giant breed dogs shouldn't be bulky like adults as puppies, it's very bad for them, although it also doesn't mean your dog should be underweight too.. there's an estimated recommended weight per age and sex for each breed.

I don't believe this weight chart is 100% correct imo!! and is definitely NOT an official Boerboel weight chart.Looks more like an English Mastiff weight chart to me

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 4:41pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

60lbs at 4months of age for males?? Isn't that kinda too much?
How do you weigh roscoe? Btw
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 5:35pm On Jan 08, 2020
jl115:

I don't believe this weight chart is 100% correct imo!! and is definitely NOT an official Boerboel weight chart.Looks more like an English Mastiff weight chart to me
lol no it's the boerbel chart, the English mastiff chart was also there.
you can see the title there
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 5:44pm On Jan 08, 2020
vincentjk:

it's in pounds not kg you know?
60lbs is just 27kg
an adult BB surpasses 150lbs-170lbs sometimes so 60lbs at 4-5 months isn't far fetched.
he'll be over 2x his current size in adulthood so do the math, see how it makes sense?
besides, the chart doesn't really mean your dog must weigh that figure, it's just an average,more like the maximum it should weigh.
its exagerrated most times,a lot of dogs never reach that weight
some dogs weigh lower some weigh higher, some follow the chart some slow down at some point due to either genetics,malnourishment e.t.c.
if your pup is around that weight then he's healthy, if he passes it then he's obese, if he's far from it then he's underweight.
just like that
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 5:49pm On Jan 08, 2020
vincentjk:

you can use any scale that can carry his weight to weigh him, some vets have scales for that.

I wasn't able to weigh Roscoe till he was about 10months, when I finally took him there we found out the scale was high from the ground (it was the type you have to lift the dog on top to weigh), nobody could lift him so I just left it, I just use my discretion to check his weight now
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 5:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

lol no it's the boerbel chart, the English mastiff chart was also there.
you can see the title there
That definitely isn't a Boerboel weight chart, the weights displayed on the chart are to heavy to be that of a Boerboel....specifically from 12 months up
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 6:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
vincentjk:

Mike was over 70 lbs at 4 Months.....however that weight chart still isn't correct, the weights for from 12 months and up are to heavy to be that of a boerboel.

you'll struggle to find a boerboel that weighs 180 pounds at 13 months

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 6:04pm On Jan 08, 2020
jl115:

Mike was over 70 lbs at 4 Months.....however that weight chart still isn't correct, the weights for males from 12 months and up are to heavy to be that of a boerboel
obviously they're too heavy, they're exaggerated, a BB shouldn't pass 176lbs.
they're not exact figures
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 6:10pm On Jan 08, 2020
jl115:

Mike was over 70 lbs at 4 Months.....however that weight chart still isn't correct, the weights for from 12 months and up are to heavy to be that of a boerboel.

you'll struggle to find a boerboel that weighs 180 pounds at 13 months
that's rare but possible you know?
odi in SA weighed 230lbs
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 6:11pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

obviously they're too heavy, they're exaggerated, a BB shouldn't pass 176lbs.
they're not exact figures
In terms of weight vs age is where i think its an exaggeration, you don't want a 180 pound Boerboel at 13 months, simply because of the weight on the joints.

However I totally disagree with the bolded, There is no reason a boerboel shouldn't weigh more than 176lbs IF he is Balanced and still able to work!
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 6:13pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

that's rare but possible you know?
odi in SA weighed 230lbs
Definitely possible yes, Afrika Sakabuka( I posted photos of him on the previous page) is to my knowledge the heaviest BB ever appraised in SA at 238lbs, however he was still perfectly balanced, lean and agile!
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 6:14pm On Jan 08, 2020
jl115:

However I totally disagree with the bolded, There is no reason a boerboel shouldn't weigh more than 176lbs IF he is Balanced and still able to work!

sure, what I meant was that it's rare to find on an average not that it's an abomination or something lol.
BBs have weighed more than that

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 6:17pm On Jan 08, 2020
jl115:

Definitely possible yes, Afrika Sakabuka( I posted photos of him on the previous page) is to my knowledge the heaviest BB ever appraised in SA at 238lbs, however he was still perfectly balanced, lean and agile!
wow that's huge.
one thing I've noticed is that growth charts usually go off as the months advance because I feel at that point you can say factors can make a dog bigger than usual.
I usually don't follow them after the puppy stage, it's best not to get worked up about it

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 6:22pm On Jan 08, 2020
jl115:

In terms of weight vs age is where i think its an exaggeration, you don't want a 180 pound Boerboel at 13 months, simply because of the weight on the joints.

it's possible tho right? that's why it's on the chart, it's not an average weight, it's more of an exaggerated estimate after 12 months because of the way some dogs grow.
anywaaays....
how much does mike weigh right now?, I'm guessing that guy should be over 170lbs.
have you estimated his full weight when he's fully grown? shocked
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 7:24pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

it's possible tho right? that's why it's on the chart, it's not an average weight, it's more of an exaggerated estimate after 12 months because of the way some dogs grow.
anywaaays....
how much does mike weigh right now?, I'm guessing that guy should be over 170lbs.
have you estimated his full weight when he's fully grown? shocked
Mikes around 80kg now.... Thus fully grown I expect him to be around 85kg-90kg
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 8:24pm On Jan 08, 2020
jl115:

Mikes around 80kg now.... Thus fully grown I expect him to be around 85kg-90kg
wow please tell us when you appraise him I'd love to know his score, how's his temperament like?
hope he reps his breed well smiley

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 8:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

wow please tell us when you appraise him I'd love to know his score, how's his temperament like?

I'm certain he does, mike doesn't look like an overfed boerboel staying indoors all day (they are commonly found in boerboel Facebook groups)

He's a working dog so he should posses some cool temperament as well
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 9:15pm On Jan 08, 2020
vincentjk:

I'm certain he does, mike doesn't look like an overfed boerboel staying indoors all day (they are commonly found in boerboel Facebook groups)

He's a working dog so he should posses some cool temperament as well
that's actually my favorite thing about him, he looks natural.
some huge BB you see are so massive with supplement enhanced muscles and fat but they cannot work anymore, they just become basically show dogs.
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 10:10pm On Jan 08, 2020
IamAnderson:

that's actually my favorite thing about him, he looks natural.
some huge BB you see are so massive with supplement enhanced muscles and fat but they cannot work anymore, they just become basically show dogs.

Sad truth, the reason coomore farm dogs keep improving due to their temperament and looks.

You've heard of coomore dogs (a kinda boerboel bloodline know for it's traditional working ability)?

Check this out https://www.voofla.com/XX/Unknown/474137272664730/Coomore-Farm-Dogs
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 12:12am On Jan 09, 2020
IamAnderson:

Will do bro wink

I think the bottom pictures sums up his temperament......

Big softy with his family..... But still extremely protective, as they were bred to be cool

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 12:22am On Jan 09, 2020
Middelpos Alpha(97.8%)

Arguably the greatest male Boerboel of all time!!

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 12:36am On Jan 09, 2020
This is a great example of what is wrong with Boerboel breeders Internationally.....

Can't see any of those dogs running even 5 minutes before suffering from heatstroke.

And then they say some b.s about boerboels being known as dogs of War.... Like honestly grin grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRNP368h-EY&t=2s
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by jl115: 12:39am On Jan 09, 2020
African long legged Boerboels on the other hand is a kennel breeding taller working BBs.

You can see the difference simply in the way they move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5pMb07ut8&t=160s

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 7:15am On Jan 09, 2020
vincentjk:

Sad truth, the reason coomore farm dogs keep improving due to their temperament and looks.

You've heard of coomore dogs (a kinda boerboel bloodline know for it's traditional working ability)?

Check this out https://www.voofla.com/XX/Unknown/474137272664730/Coomore-Farm-Dogs
I just checked it,the work they're doing is nice
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by IamAnderson(m): 7:55am On Jan 09, 2020
you guys are making me fall in love with the boerbel breed more cheesy
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by lilbarracuda(m): 8:52am On Jan 09, 2020
IamAnderson:
you guys are making me fall in love with the boerbel breed more cheesy

I swear I go conjure one of the dogs outta this tread now
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by lilbarracuda(m): 8:54am On Jan 09, 2020
jl115:
African long legged Boerboels on the other hand is a kennel breeding taller working BBs.

You can see the difference simply in the way they move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5pMb07ut8&t=160s

wait!!!

so boerbull got different types??

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (50) (Reply)

How To Make Your Dog More Aggressive / Pitbull Or Rottweiler: Which Is More Dangerous?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.