Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,655 members, 7,865,644 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 10:24 PM

Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? (9701 Views)

Why Do Nigerian Medical Doctors Marry Each Other? / Why Are Nigerian Residing Abroad Don't Marry Each Other / Skinny, Hourglass, Curvy Or Phat Ladies! Which Do Nigerians Prefer? (with Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by sereques(m): 3:41pm On Apr 27, 2010
Ujujoan:

While we cannot concretely generalize, it's very true that majority of Nigerians would rather marry from their country. Even within the country, people like to marry from their tribe and some really conservative people would prefer to marry from their state, or even town.

It's something we are all used to and honestly, I think it's the safest thing to do. Nigerians have a strong sense of origin probably because of the hardships being faced by people here and the high level of tribal clashes and wars.

If you are dating a Nigerian, just have it at the back of your mind that he moght not marry you and even if he does, there's every possiblity that he'll take another wife from his village.

Other side of the story is Nigerian women feel they are to good for Nigerian men esp when they finish that bollocks LPN of theirs and earning the dollars which they think is much. Personally, I don't date them cos when they flew over somehow they lost the screws in their head.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Orikinla(m): 3:44pm On Apr 27, 2010
Not always.

One of my uncles married a German and a cousin married an American.

I know many Nigerian men who married Americans and Europeans and some of my friends living in the US are engaged to non-Nigerians.
Most Nigerian Igbo men would prefer American or European women to even non-Igbo Nigerian women and their parents cannot force them to marry Nigerian women.
Our people fancy white daughters-in-law for good reasons.
When my mother died, it was only my German girlfriend who left her station in another state and came to Lagos to console me.
When my younger sister was in coma at a hospital in a foreign country, it was my American sweetheart who really cared whilst the Nigerian girlfriend sent me the details of the new HP laptop she wanted me to buy for her. She never even bothered to know how I was taking care of the five children of my sister for 30 days.
The American and European women have since proved to be more faithful, honest and humane.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by kemisuga(f): 3:48pm On Apr 27, 2010
It is a matter of choice.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Demdem(m): 4:11pm On Apr 27, 2010
kemisuga:

It is a matter of choice.

Totally agree with u kemisuga, its a matter of choice. I am a Nigerian and will definately marry a Nigerian
Kapash!
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by emmydee(m): 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2010
well, i guess this topic is for d diaspora. i live in Nigeria and there's no debate the nationality i will marry.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by babsmii(m): 4:14pm On Apr 27, 2010
@kemisuga, that dress of yours is astonishing, u look great in it. thank God you didn't drop any contact details? temptation + implication

@topic, isn't it better you marry someone you can predict than marry a foreigner. you need lots of conviction and more time to comfortably take a foreigner as a wife besides the enemy you know is far better,
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by sereques(m): 4:17pm On Apr 27, 2010
babsmii:

@kemisuga, that dress of yours is astonishing, u look great in it. thank God you didn't drop any contact details? temptation + implication

@topic, isn't it better you marry someone you can predict than marry a foreigner. you need lots of conviction and more time to comfortably take a foreigner as a wife besides the enemy you know is far better,

What do you mean predict
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by petphunt(m): 4:27pm On Apr 27, 2010
Generally, people of all ethnic grouping, nationalities and tribes primarily prefer to marry their own because of the familiarity of culture, proximity and so on. This is not only Nigerian but a pansophy.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by sereques(m): 4:30pm On Apr 27, 2010
I guess am in trouble then
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by OAM4J: 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2010
Orikinla:

Not always.

I know many Nigerian men who married Americans and Europeans and some of my friends living in the US are engaged to non-Nigerians.
Most Nigerian Igbo men would prefer American or European women to even non-Igbo Nigerian women and their parents cannot force them to marry Nigerian women.
When my mother died, it was only my German girlfriend who left her station in another state and came to Lagos to console me.
When my younger sister was in coma at a hospital in a foreign country, it was my American sweetheart who really cared whilst the Nigerian girlfriend sent me the details of the new HP laptop she wanted me to buy for her. She never even bothered to know how I was taking care of the five children of my sister for 30 days.
The American and European women have since proved to be more faithful, honest and humane.

You self dey try. Why having a Nigerian, American and German girlfriends at the same time? (for comparison  experiment?)

@topic.

Today many Nigerians are more liberal to marrying non Nigerian. There are many Nigerians around me here who are married to non-Nigerian and not for papers.

It depends on the individuals concerned. Marriages will work or fail not necessarily because they marry across the globe, but because of the personalties involved.

I have seen some of these across the globe marriages broke down and I have seen many of them lasting more and stronger than the Nigerian-Nigerian marriages

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2010
Why having a Nigerian, American and German girlfriends at the same time? (for comparison experiment?)

i guess.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 27, 2010
Orikinla:

Not always.

This is absurd. Where is the proof? your personal experience When are people going to realize that human nature is not dependent on nationality

Ok, let me ask you a question! Are you married to either your german of American GF. I bet you r married to a Nigeria despite your theory!

I'm really surprised people are saying otherwise. It's an established fact. Most Nigerian men perfer to marry Nigerians. Period!
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Apr 27, 2010
I guess am in trouble then

I dont know why you think you are in trouble but there is every chance that you are not. If you a non-Nigerian dating a Nigeria, you can look at Orikinla's examples and take heart from there. But you should always be open to the fact that things could change, even at a very late stage in your hubby's life!

If you a man dating a non-nigerian, don't worry, some of these marriages do work! So dont give up! wink
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Wallie(m): 4:51pm On Apr 27, 2010
@babsmii - I actually know quite a few Africans that have stuck to their own kind and are now having problems (infidelity, in-law issues, lack of love, incompatibility etc). Do you think you can predict someone you’ve not really dated or lived with because she comes from a “good” family?

The truth is, when people start dating, both of you have only met each other’s representative. You won’t really get to meet the real person until about a year or after your first few fights:-)

I think people have this ill preconceived notion or fallacy that if they marry someone from their village, they will tend to know each other better and problems could usually be abated because they speak the same language.

Well, I got news for you; it only works if the couple is compatible! Only marry someone you’re compatible with; otherwise, you’ll end up divorced or unhappy with kids!

I don’t have a preference for Nigerians because where you come from does not change who you are as a person.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by OAM4J: 4:57pm On Apr 27, 2010
Ujujoan:

I'm really surprised people are saying otherwise. It's an established fact. Most Nigerian men perfer to marry Nigerians. Period!

Uju, naturaly, everyone will prefer to marry someone from his/her country if possible from his/her tribe. But sometimes you come accross some exceptionaly very good, loving and open people who are not from your country/tribe, you will not just because they are not from your country/tribe prefer just any one from your country/tribe to them simply because they are from your country/tribe, especially if you are educated enough to know that marriage will work or fail not just because you marry someone from your country/tribe.

Ujujoan:

If you a man dating a non-nigerian, don't worry, some of these marriages do work! So dont give up!  wink

not exactly, many of those marriages do work!  wink

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Kc0022000(m): 5:02pm On Apr 27, 2010
@poster, Ujujoan said its all , its a fact you should accept
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 27, 2010
Uju, naturaly, everyone will prefer to marry someone from his/her country if possible from his/her tribe. But sometimes you come accross some exceptionaly very good, loving and open people who are not from your country/tribe, you will not just because they are not from your country/tribe prefer just any one from your country/tribe to them simply because they are from your country/tribe, especially if you are educated enough to know that marriage will work or fail not just because you marry someone from your country/tribe.

Are you talking from experience or from pure speculations

There are exceptionally good people all over but that's not why people marry. The possibility of a foriegner marrying a Nigerian is much higher that a Nigerian marrying a foriegner. It's highly perculiar to Nigerians and like I pointed out earlier, it has a lot to do with history. Nigerians dont trust easily. I mean we have Nigerians who would never marry out of their tribe not to talk of out of their country!

I'm not saying the marriages don't work, but there's every possibility that the wonderful man you call yur husband has a second 'Nigerian' wife.  undecided
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by OAM4J: 5:37pm On Apr 27, 2010
Ujujoan:

Are you talking from experience or from pure speculations

from many experiences. I live outside Nigeria.

Ujujoan:

There are exceptionally good people all over but that's not why people marry.

I would have love to know your reasons why people marry, but I dont want us to derail the topic. . . may be next time. For me I will only marry an exceptionally good person i know, from those am surrounded with, preferably from my country/tribe else I choose from other tribe/country.

Ujujoan:

The possibility of a foriegner marrying a Nigerian is much higher that a Nigerian marrying a foriegner. It's highly perculiar to Nigerians and like I pointed out earlier, it has a lot to do with history. Nigerians dont trust easily. I mean we have Nigerians who would never marry out of their tribe not to talk of out of their country!

I agree with you, but not totally. it is not peculiar to Nigerians, there are many other nationals worse than Nigerians, like Ethiopians, Arabs, Indians, Pakistanis even the Chincos (Chinese) etc. but the fact is, things are changing by the day and many who embrace these changes are not regretting it.

Ujujoan:

I'm not saying the marriages don't work, but there's every possibility that the wonderful man you call yur husband has a second 'Nigerian' wife.  undecided

possibility yes, but not in most cases.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Wallie(m): 5:38pm On Apr 27, 2010
Here’s my rating that determines if a girl is worth taking to the next level:

26% Beauty (External 15%, Internal 11%)
26% Person (Heart 10%, intelligence 6%, mannerism 5%, respectfulness 5%)
24 % Religion  
12% Number of prior partners
7% Country
5% Miscellaneous soft traits (ambition, education etc)
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by EzeUche(m): 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2010
Marriage - Yes

Having sexual relations - No

Does that answer your question?
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by OAM4J: 6:02pm On Apr 27, 2010
Wallie:

Here’s my rating that determines if a girl is worth taking to the next level:

26% Beauty (External 15%, Internal 11%)
26% Person (Heart 10%, intelligence 6%, mannerism 5%, respectfulness 5%)
24 % Religion  
12% Number of prior partners
7% Country
5% Miscellaneous soft traits (ambition, education etc)

I agree with your list with different percentages and order. (my order: 1 - Religion, 2 - Personalty, 3 - Beauty, 4 - Nationality. Number of previous partners doesn't matter to me if the personalty is excellent.)
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by warripekin(m): 6:03pm On Apr 27, 2010
Marrying a non-Nigeria is an arduous task and not for the faint hearted . chances of marital survival is abysmally  low . My very good friend , recently got involved with  a Chinese doll whom he met while in Honk Kong . Apart from meeting her a virgin , which to my friend means a lot ,the girl in question has made him what he is today . But still , my guy no wan marry. The girls has even accepted living in Nigeria and she is ready to contribute with my friend for them to buy a house somewhere in lekki.  Yet bobo no wan propose. Last week , he went to Enugu to look for a wife and has told the sister to help him find a marriage material from the east . According to him , his mother some how wants him to marry the Chinese girl but his elder sister is not in support. As a friend , I have told him to settle for the Chinese  girl and he has not accepted or refused . My guy right is confused because of foreign wife .
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by ikeyman00(m): 7:08pm On Apr 27, 2010
hm
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by ikeyman00(m): 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

poster; do not let anybody decieve u for 1 kobo

majority nigerians marry each other; party alone happily;church nko;

do not let those coconut fool u cuz they are all lying

yes there are so many nigerians marry to whatever like some have said, i think its a question of choice

but then u got to recognise those that break away to marry a naija far away from back home why naijadnt ask me cuz me dnt know

even our nigerians footballers overseas most are married to naija women
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Smi1(m): 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2010
I have met so many nigerians that got married to foreigners and they are quite doing well , so you ujujoan get your fact right stop discouraging people abeg or do you think the lady came here to search for nigerian men  typical nigerian girl

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2010
well, well , well brothers thanks for your anwers, but what about non nigerians african women, not talkin' about white or chinese. I've noticed a lot of points like, being close to the culture and so on but to be honest I emphasy on the fact natioality should'nt be the guide of the heart.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 7:17pm On Apr 27, 2010
looooooool samy no oh just my nigerian friend just propose me and told me if I agree he wants to see my arents I just laugh becasue I was surprised
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by opribo(m): 7:34pm On Apr 27, 2010
welcome Nayah, you are ok
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 7:39pm On Apr 27, 2010
opribo thanks I'm ok
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by OAM4J: 7:48pm On Apr 27, 2010
Nayah:

opribo thanks I'm ok

Nayah if you love him and you believe he is right for you (has most of the qualities you want in a man), say YES to his proposal.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 8:03pm On Apr 27, 2010
OAM brother this is not the question for the moment I'll let you know this is not my priority for the moment
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by madlady(f): 8:21pm On Apr 27, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Thread For Non Nigerian Women Who Have Succesful Relationships With Nigerians / How To Approach A Girl You Don't Know At All / For The Bold And Beautiful Among Us...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.