Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,706 members, 7,865,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:12 AM

Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? (9702 Views)

Why Do Nigerian Medical Doctors Marry Each Other? / Why Are Nigerian Residing Abroad Don't Marry Each Other / Skinny, Hourglass, Curvy Or Phat Ladies! Which Do Nigerians Prefer? (with Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Confusion: 7:47pm On Apr 29, 2010
Just to Prove that Nigerians Dont Always Marry Each Other
and so that we can end this thread as quick as possible

Pls Will you marry me,

This will show the world that Nigerians are open minded
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by marabout(m): 8:18pm On Apr 29, 2010
@Nayah, if you are going to marry a Nigerian, I think you may be better off marrying an Ibo chap. Until early 1960s, part of anglophone Cameroon was part of Eastern Nigeria! So if you are looking for cultural proximity, that may be what you need. If you want to marry for love no matter what the future holds, then go ahead and marry anyone you like.

@Ujujoan, I don't know about Ibo men but all the Ibo ladies married to us (members of my extended family and non-Ibo ) have all been a singular blessing. I don't think those family members would have succeeded better in life with intra-tribal marriage.

I feel very touched when I see interracial couples loving up. It kind of reminds me of the days of innocence and I always wish them good luck.

Chere Nayah, there is no TUEV or MOT for a relationship or marriage. Until you get into it you never know how long it will last. Most couples have good intentions when they start but it is a marathon not a 10 seconds sprint.

If you are tolerant, long-suffering, forgiving, generous and accommodating, you have a better chance of making a success out of it.

Bon courage!

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Theblessed(f): 12:25am On Apr 30, 2010
[b]Nayah  Listen!

Your African Nigerian brothers and sisters sometimes prefer 'Home made meals,'ok! But that does not mean they don't eat Mcdonalds or Kentucky Frieds they do but rare.  When I say rare, I mean if you would put a percentage mark on how often they'd eat out, its likely to be about 2% or 5% at most if you understand what I mean? 

Nigerian girl and boy prefers their own particularly, the boys because our girls are sophisticated in nature (my opinion) cheesy cheesy cheesy

Generally, men love their belly hence an English adage that says 'The Way to a Man's Heart is Through His  Stomach? and because like most men, Nigerian man love im belle, he prefers a sophisticated Nigerian girl who knows how to - to fill it up e.g. ensuring those authentic Nigerian foods are in the fridge (assuming everyone has one) and ready when he wants. 

Secondly, abi, you sabi how to do amala, iba, isi ewu, kpomo and ewedu not to talk of Ofe Egusi, Ofe Okra, Olughu and Ofe Nsala or abi we go talk of Nigerian woman's goat, chicken and fish pepper soups and then, crowning it off with pammy or cool beer for him. Hmmm, job dey here o o o? You see, 95% of Nigerian men likes their iba ask anyone so its good you know how smiley smiley smiley smiley

What of his copulation needs jo, don't ignore that o o? grin grin grin grin.  And when family visits - papa, mama, oh sibblings, abeg o o, to me, the responsibility might be too much for unassuming Black/African sisters from other 'sites', I think and that's why they prefer their own because, she would understand. 

Anyway, if you are considering a Nigerian for marriage, ensure you do your home work o o o.  Get good education in the above mentioned departments as it would help your loving else, be strong and ready to compete because, if he can't do those things himself certainly, he would find an avenue and that could shake things up for you.  Obviously, family would support him because in Nigerian, it's anathema to hear that a woman could not cook lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.

Good luck with your catch!
[/b]
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by marabout(m): 3:14am On Apr 30, 2010
@ohmigod,

Well, on the surface Nigerian may appear to live a very long time in Europe/America/Diaspora but some have returned over the past few years. Some due to lucrative employment opportunities in Communications sector and banking. Some in the US just got fed up after losing houses (subprime) and business. They just returned home especially some who invested back home earlier.

For an average immigrant, the dream is to return home some day. Of course many never manage to do so. Despite the prosperity in Diaspora there is always something missing: family values, respect for elders, generosity towards friends and family and people being there for you in difficulty. This may be difficult for some foreigners to appreciate because they think that because an immigrant is relatively economically better off now, why go back home?
Of course there are some immigrants who for personal reasons may not have any plan to return. So yes ohmigod you can marry one of those.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by OAM4J: 3:23am On Apr 30, 2010
Theblessed:

Nayah  Listen!

Your African Nigerian brothers and sisters sometimes prefer 'Home made meals,'ok! But that does not mean they don't eat Mcdonalds or Kentucky Frieds they do but rare.  When I say rare, I mean if you would put a percentage mark on how often they'd eat out, its likely to be about 2% or 5% at most if you understand what I mean? 

Nigerian girl and boy prefers their own particularly, the boys because our girls are sophisticated in nature (my opinion) cheesy cheesy cheesy

Generally, men love their belly hence an English adage that says 'The Way to a Man's Heart is Through His  Stomach? and because like most men, Nigerian man love im belle, he prefers a sophisticated Nigerian girl who knows how to - to fill it up e.g. ensuring those authentic Nigerian foods are in the fridge (assuming everyone has one) and ready when he wants. 

Secondly, abi, you sabi how to do amala, iba, isi ewu, kpomo and ewedu not to talk of Ofe Egusi, Ofe Okra, Olughu and Ofe Nsala or abi we go talk of Nigerian woman's goat, chicken and fish pepper soups and then, crowning it off with pammy or cool beer for him. Hmmm, job dey here o o o? You see, 95% of Nigerian men likes their iba ask anyone so its good you know how smiley smiley smiley smiley

What of his copulation needs jo, don't ignore that o o? grin grin grin grin.  And when family visits - papa, mama, oh sibblings, abeg o o, to me, the responsibility might be too much for unassuming Black/African sisters from other 'sites', I think and that's why they prefer their own because, she would understand. 

Anyway, if you are considering a Nigerian for marriage, ensure you do your home work o o o.  Get good education in the above mentioned departments as it would help your loving else, be strong and ready to compete because, if he can't do those things himself certainly, he would find an avenue and that could shake things up for you.  Obviously, family would support him because in Nigerian, it's anathema to hear that a woman could not cook lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.

Good luck with your catch!

omG!  grin grin grin grin

Funny but true! I didnt know you have this high sense of humor judging from your other posts.

anyway it is called eba not iba.  cool wink
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 11:59am On Apr 30, 2010
theblessde don't offense but sophisticated people are not only in Nigeri

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 12:02pm On Apr 30, 2010
theblessde non offense but sophisticated people are not only in Nigeria and sometimes being, natural and yourself but now if you are telling me we need to "tto much" yes we are different,
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by ohmigod: 1:41pm On Apr 30, 2010
To Marabout
"Family values, respect for elders, and generousity towards friends and family" are not qualities that are singular to Nigerians who live in Nigeria. I would agree that the faced paced life here in North America at times appears to leave those values behind, but some make a point to keep them present in their lives- both Nigerian and non Nigerian people. "
Your statement to me about who I can marry (" you can marry one of those, ") is more dismissive to Nigerians living outside of Nigeria than it is to me. And for the record, I will date or marry whomever I please. Or not. I am free to do so. And my friends and family would support whatever choice I make.
True love will be my only motivation and if he is a Nigerian man we will build a life together and not care what the Marabouts of the world think,

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by marabout(m): 11:29pm On Apr 30, 2010
To Ohmigod,

That message was addressed to you in error. You did not open a thread about who to date or marry, Nayah did.
In real life I stopped advising female friends about dating long time ago as soon as I realised that women generally don't actually need your sincere opinion in that regard. Since you know they will do what they have already decided to do, just offer your support. Painful sometimes when you can see some obvious "signs" that they cannot see. Since they won't listen anyway no need playing killjoy. Like I said in a previous post, experience is the best teacher.

I think it's good for people to independently make their own decisions.  If it works for them, wonderful. If it doesn't, offer them a shoulder to cry on.
I am not a relationship Czar and I did not seek anyone's advice before making my own choice. I would have thought that everybody marries for love.

Not that the opinion of over 30s like me matters these days but we do have some experience that only education and sophistication of modern life cannot provide.
Regarding family values and all that, the rate at which marriages/families (African) are crumbling here in the West and wife killing is happening in America seems to suggest otherwise. You are right other nationalities have family values: Italians, Arabs, other Africans and more certainly do. As a guy who dated women of several races and cultures, I should know. But I also know that  dating people of other culture come with their own peculiar challenges.
Good luck.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by ohmigod: 2:04am On May 01, 2010
Marabout: You are forgiven. And I agree with your last comments. Dating people from other cultures does present challenges, but learning about those cultures is what is most enriching. That's part of the attraction. And you don't have to be born in Nigeria to follow a recipe for rice and pepper soup or whatever it was that an earlier poster made a reference to, One only needs to be able to read and follow a recipe. Believe it or not, white north american women do have some qualities to recommend them to others of different cultures and races. We're not a bunch of complete losers. Thanks for your response,

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nobody: 5:04am On May 01, 2010
In real life I stopped advising female friends about dating long time ago as soon as I realised that women generally don't actually need your sincere opinion in that regard. Since you know they will do what they have already decided to do, just offer your support. Painful sometimes when you can see some obvious "signs" that they cannot see. Since they won't listen anyway no need playing killjoy. Like I said in a previous post, experience is the best teacher.

very true
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Akosbaba(m): 10:45am On May 01, 2010
Most homeboys 4rm 9ja are ready to marry any female with much dough 4rm any part of the world(well except 4rm iran,afgahnistan,iraq etc)

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Theblessed(f): 4:55pm On May 01, 2010
OAM4J:

omG!  grin grin grin grin

Funny but true! I didnt know you have this high sense of humor judging from your other posts.

anyway it is called eba not iba.  cool wink

[b]Thanks for your corrections, all is taken on board! 

But I must say, every tribe has their own way of pronouncing and spelling things.  In my tribe, its spelt IBA and that's how I had known, pronounced and spelt it.  And, who care! Isn't what matters the meaning it conveys

Anyway, let's get to the Yummy side of this story.

You see, it doesn't really worth it being narrow minded.  Having a tunnel view about  someone you don't really know or criticising things you don't really understand, puts one in a totally different category in the intelligence department.

Do I blame anyone?  No! Reason being that most people on here, just follow the flock and don't really think logically. This is because of our culture, Nigerians are emotional people and it's difficult for us to control our emotions when it matters as result, we go overboard,  For example, when we are talking to friends, colleagues even our enemies in the public, we are usually louder than a bomb.  We shout and shout until we shout everyone down, just to make our point.   

Also, if there's an argument in the public where one mistakenly curses one's mother, that's enough to start a '3rd World war' without considering that, it's simply just a curse therefore, won't cause any bloody skin pain so why abuse and fight over a trivial thing as that, if not for our fragile emotions and, it's all evidenced here on N/L. It only takes one person to misunderstand a member's view to initiate an abuse/fight on here. Abi, I liecool cool cool  You can now see what I mean, these are some of our bad habits and I can't see us changing soon because, it's cultural and therefore, entrenched. 

However, your negative assumptions of me, it's ok and its your prerogative but I must remind you, in every thing you do remember, there's always two sides to every story and in this case, you had only read one until now. grin grin grin grin 

Yes, theblessed has a very good sense of humour and you mustn't forget that!

Good luck with your analysis of people, you don't really know!
[/b]
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by OAM4J: 8:55pm On May 01, 2010
Theblessed:

[b]Thanks for your corrections, all is taken on board! 

But I must say, every tribe has their own way of pronouncing and spelling things.  In my tribe, its spelt IBA and that's how I had known, pronounced and spelt it.  And, who care! Isn't what matters the meaning it conveys

Anyway, let's get to the Yummy side of this story.

You see, it doesn't really worth it being narrow minded.  Having a tunnel view about  someone you don't really know or criticising things you don't really understand, puts one in a totally different category in the intelligence department.

Do I blame anyone?  No! Reason being that most people on here, just follow the flock and don't really think logically. This is because of our culture, Nigerians are emotional people and it's difficult for us to control our emotions when it matters as result, we go overboard,  For example, when we are talking to friends, colleagues even our enemies in the public, we are usually louder than a bomb.  We shout and shout until we shout everyone down, just to make our point.   

Also, if there's an argument in the public where one mistakenly curses one's mother, that's enough to start a '3rd World war' without considering that, it's simply just a curse therefore, won't cause any bloody skin pain so why abuse and fight over a trivial thing as that, if not for our fragile emotions and, it's all evidenced here on N/L. It only takes one person to misunderstand a member's view to initiate an abuse/fight on here. Abi, I liecool cool cool  You can now see what I mean, these are some of our bad habits and I can't see us changing soon because, it's cultural and therefore, entrenched. 

However, your negative assumptions of me, it's ok and its your prerogative but I must remind you, in every thing you do remember, there's always two sides to every story and in this case, you had only read one until now. grin grin grin grin 

Yes, theblessed has a very good sense of humour and you mustn't forget that!

Good luck with your analysis of people, you don't really know!
[/b]

my dear, cant you take a compliment without tending to quarrel?

Anyway I understand your points and also wish to say that I prefer your humorous side.  cool
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by gangstaboo(f): 10:57pm On May 01, 2010
I don't think so.

I'm not Nigerian, but am dating one and he is fine with me not being Nigerian (I'm African American)

I don't want to jinx the marriage part yet though lol. grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by na2day2(m): 1:52am On May 02, 2010
Nayah:

Hi for those who don't know me I'm Nayah and brand new in your forum which is very funny and interesting.  Well brothers and sisters, I would like to have your opinion about something African community used to say about the fact Nigerians use to marry each other.  It means even though they can date other women their family are conservative especially step mother who wants an original Nigerian sometimes from the same tribe, some African like, Ivoirians, Ghanians, Liberians have told me that.  What do you think, thanks

it is not just nigerians that do it, evey single tribe or race do the same thing by default, it is called self preservation. humans like every other animal by default try to protect their kind and their origins, whites in the usa prefer marrying whites, that dont automatically make them racist, blacks prefer blacks, indians prefer indians and so on. when u marry outside ur tribe, conflicts may arise depending on the maturity of the parents involved. i happen to come from a tribe where most ppl have mixed blood. most of my extended family have one or more igbo person in their linage; more so, i have an uncle married to a ghanian for decades, another uncle married to a canadian, another married to a dutch, lots of my cousins married to different nationals, alot of my aunts married yorubas, tons married igbos, i am an uncle to 2 white kids. almost all of us had at least one white person on our family tree, my cousin in florida has at least 3 white ppl in her linage and they did well in their marriages. inspite of all these mixes in my tribe, the default still remains the preference of marrying within the tribe even in the 21st century! its all about self preservation but ppl are more open these days wink wink wink
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by na2day2(m): 1:59am On May 02, 2010
bellarose:

i am an american women  and i am dating a nigerian man now who is from the igbo tribe ,, the funny thing about our relastionship is that he  told me when we first met that he was going to marry someone from his village within the next year or so. He asked could i handle that and i agreed but now  i dont quite feel the same ,, i feel like we  american women have good qualities to. the funny part about it is that he was like he dont know if he will be able to stop messing with me once he is married

he told u he got sum1 else and u still played the field? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked wow! now u wanna cry crocodile tears angry angry angry
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by switosman(m): 10:21am On May 02, 2010
na2day?:

it is not just nigerians that do it, evey single tribe or race do the same thing by default, it is called self preservation. humans like every other animal by default try to protect their kind and their origins, whites in the usa prefer marrying whites, that dont automatically make them racist, blacks prefer blacks, indians prefer indians and so on. when u marry outside your tribe, conflicts may arise depending on the maturity of the parents involved. i happen to come from a tribe where most ppl have mixed blood. most of my extended family have one or more igbo person in their linage; more so, i have an uncle married to a ghanian for decades, another uncle married to a canadian, another married to a dutch, lots of my cousins married to different nationals, alot of my aunts married yorubas, tons married igbos, i am an uncle to 2 white kids. almost all of us had at least one white person on our family tree, my cousin in florida has at least 3 white ppl in her linage and they did well in their marriages. inspite of all these mixes in my tribe, the default still remains the preference of marrying within the tribe even in the 21st century! its all about self preservation but ppl are more open these days wink wink wink
I agree with na2day but in addition many nigerians in diaspora plan to return home in the future. getting married to a lady close to/from home makes it easy and there will be no objection to the plan.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Theblessed(f): 11:44am On May 02, 2010
OAM4J:

my dear, cant you take a compliment without tending to quarrel?

Anyway I understand your points and also wish to say that I prefer your humorous side.  cool

Again, thanks for your compliments! I'm glad it made you laugh!  Wasn't seeking quarrels with you at all rather, pointing out issues in order to encourage change in negative attitudes from all and sundry here because, in terms of exchange of knowledge, N/L is an informative zone that has benefited a lot of people therefore, a good medium to express this view though, it can be boring sometimes (my view) grin grin grin
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nobody: 5:04am On May 03, 2010
Akosbaba:

Most homeboys 4rm 9ja are ready to marry any female [size=4pt]with much dough[/size]  4rm any part of the world [size=4pt](well except 4rm iran,afgahnistan,iraq etc)[/size] 

fixed- the parts in tiny font are irrelevant.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 12:55pm On May 03, 2010
loooool tpia
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nobody: 10:21am On May 04, 2010
tpia.:

fixed- the parts in tiny font are irrelevant.

Why God forbid that Nigerian Men are gold-diggers undecided

I wonder why you keep living in denial! undecided
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by kpolli(m): 11:21am On May 04, 2010
no we only marry japanese
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by OAM4J: 4:11pm On May 04, 2010
Ujujoan:

she is not denying anything, but she said it is irrelevant. which is true as far as this topic is concerned.

But you just became guilty of generalizing.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by martinosi: 4:18pm On May 04, 2010
hmmm i have heard all the discussions and i can only conclude
that a Nigeria Man will Mostly Marry an African Lady if not a Nigerian.

A nigerian Guy will not give it a "2nd Thought " to marry any girl no matter want race she is if and i say if she was born and raised in Nigeria.

So that means Nigerian, Other African ie Ghana, Togo, Mixed Race, North
African, Asia, American etc if they have lived in Nigeria for a long time
or were raised in Nigeria due to the fact that a woman that has been raised or has lived in Nigeria for a Long Time will have the Core Naija Spirit!!!

A Nigerian Guy living abroad will be more likely Marry a "white girl" or "Non Nigerian Girl" that was raised in Nigeria from the age of 5 to 18 or lived
in Nigeria for a long time, than a Nigerian Girl that was Born and Raised Abroad!!!

I have seen that when you have been born and raised in Nigeria or Lived
in Nigeria for along time as a woman of any race you will understand the
Nigeria "Naija Norms" more and be able to understand and flow with
the Nigerian Man in general.

That why some of my Nigerian friends have Scottish and English wives
and mixed Race wives who were raised most of their Youth in Nigeria
due to their Parents being Exparts etc,

And for those that doubt this, i will send you the link of messageboard/forum
of girls ie English, American etc that went to British, American International school
and others School  in Nigeria that later on in LIFE MARRIED NiGERIAN MEN,

But on the Avergae Nigerian Men mostly marry Nigerian Ladies,
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by martinosi: 4:28pm On May 04, 2010
OAM4J:

she is not denying anything, but she said it is irrelevant. which is true as far as this topic is concerned.

But you just became guilty of generalizing.

Nigerians mostly marry Nigerian Girls, because you cant marry people
you dont interact with socially,

Most Nigerian guys i know that marry Non-Nigerians live abroad!!!

Only two live in Nigeria and the only reasons why they married non-nigerian
girls ie one White-American and the other Israeli is becuase those two guys
went to the same private school with them in Naija!!!

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by martinosi: 4:39pm On May 04, 2010
kitlady02:

Nigerian men hardly marry foreign women n i dnt blame them. ,  .reason:  Nigerian women n foreign women do nt hv d same mentality abt marriage. . . . Its a matter of choice nywy. . .as a woman, i dnt think i cn marry a nigerian based outside nigerian let alone a foreigner. . . .

Sooooooooooooo True!!! Period!!!

And may i add this Nigerian Girls Born & Raised in Nigeria " Put Marriage of an Olympic Gold Medal Podium!!!! THEY DONT PLAY WITH IT, Its like the Highlight of their Relationship CAREER!!!

And another thing a Non-Nigerian Black person who has lived in Nigeria would always
be mistaken for a Nigerian unless they tell you otherwise (And i am now finding out that some of my friends are really Ghanian, Togo, Sierra Leone etc after all those
years in Secondary school thinking they were Nigerian)
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by martinosi: 4:47pm On May 04, 2010
sereques:

Other side of the story is Nigerian women feel they are to good for Nigerian men esp when they finish that bollocks LPN of theirs and earning the dollars which they think is much.  Personally, I don't date them cos when they flew over somehow they lost the screws in their head.

Calm down bro, take it easy,  those Nigerian Girls are still young, let them hit 30 years
and no Husband they will soon start running in search of a Good Guy like you.
And if you are taken by then, they will book their ticket to NIGERIA and
seek out their Nigerian Prince lol!!!
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 2:31pm On May 05, 2010
looooooool Martinosi well thanks for your contribution
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by henry101(m): 11:42pm On May 05, 2010
@ Nayah
Is your BF the first son of his parents?

Does he have other brothers and where are they presently?

Thanks.
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by Nayah(f): 8:28am On May 06, 2010
No henry he's the only son and the last one,
Re: Do Nigerians Always Marry Each Other? by na2day2(m): 5:51am On May 09, 2010
Ujujoan:

u think every1 is like u? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Thread For Non Nigerian Women Who Have Succesful Relationships With Nigerians / How To Approach A Girl You Don't Know At All / Can Someone Please Tell Me Why Its So Easy To Have SEX With Gals This Days.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.