Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,525 members, 7,816,281 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? (11871 Views)

2007 Honda Accord Leaks Oil When Engine Is Hot / This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by diportivo: 4:27pm On Mar 02, 2018
legalwealth:

Don't as well forget that you can't compare abroad's weather condition with ours. Hence, my choice of oil might be working fine in Nigeria it has been;

undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by erico2k2(m): 5:17pm On Mar 02, 2018
legalwealth:

Hahahaha!

It was that oil that I saw readily available and trusted at the moment I wanted to service it for the first time. I wanted to change to recommended one early enough but I couldn't see trusted and readily available ones so I sticked to the one I've been using. I was even ready to part away with any amount to get the quality one of the recommended oil but there was no headway.

Don't as well forget that you can't compare abroad's weather condition with ours. Hence, my choice of oil might be working fine in Nigeria it has been; I've travelled long journeys severally without any form of breakdown.
I was Enjoying your post until you said the bolded. If you have been following up, you would have learnt weather conditions btw 9ja and where the car was produced has little or no effect, car is tested on all conditions, so the fact 9ja is Hot is a plus. Texas and fresco can be hotter than 9ja x2

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by mejai(m): 6:13pm On Mar 02, 2018
OP, ask Gazzuzz for oil specification of ur car. Nice ride.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 7:01pm On Mar 02, 2018
erico2k2:

I was Enjoying your post until you said the bolded. If you have been following up, you would have learnt weather conditions btw 9ja and where the car was produced has little or no effect, car is tested on all conditions, so the fact 9ja is Hot is a plus. Texas and fresco can be hotter than 9ja x2

Don't forget might that I used... we all learn daily.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by erico2k2(m): 7:09pm On Mar 02, 2018
legalwealth:

Don't forget might that I used... we all learn daily.
noted

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 7:15pm On Mar 02, 2018
mejai:
OP, ask Gazzuzz for oil specification of ur car. Nice ride.

I know the spec written on the cover of the engine but the issue and my concerns are how to always get it easily and not just getting it but getting the quality/standard one always.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:02pm On Mar 02, 2018
legalwealth:

I know the spec written on the cover of the engine but the issue and my concerns are how to always get it easily and not just getting it but getting the quality/standard one always.

Mobil1 advance full synthetic 5w20 Google it.

Available all year round.

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 02, 2018
thebigkendo:

5000miles is too high for when using mobil xhp, should be 3000miles or 3 months which ever comes 1st

Based on what?

This is a fallacy.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 02, 2018
legalwealth:

If everything about your engine is good and working fine; 5000 miles servicing is not bad. Funny enough, it doesn't short oil and the oil is always still fresh after the 5k miles that another car can still use it.

No other car should use used oil angry

Naija people.

So you're going to transfer all the steel shavings from one engine into another car?
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 10:38pm On Mar 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:

No other car should use used oil angry

Naija people.

So you're going to transfer all the steel shavings from one engine into another car?

Lol! Did you use your hand to feel the oil to confirm the shavings?
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 10:40pm On Mar 02, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Mobil1 advance full synthetic 5w20 Google it.

Available all year round.

Really? Is it all over and can it be gotten anywhere in Nigeria?
How much is 5 litres?

Is it advisable I change to this since I've been using Mobil XHP all these while?
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:51pm On Mar 02, 2018
legalwealth:

Really? Is it all over and can it be gotten anywhere in Nigeria?
How much is 5 litres?

Is it advisable I change to this since I've been using Mobil XHP all these while?

It is not all over. I place orders for product from the states.

it is not safe switching to high quality full synthetic engine oil if you have been abusing engine with the wrong engine oil in the past. It carries it's risks like oil shorts, and possible smoke.

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 02, 2018
legalwealth:

Lol! Did you use your hand to feel the oil to confirm the shavings?

I'm too educated to be touching used engine oil, no wonder you guys die like fleas in Nigeria.

What you do is send your oil to a laboratory for test - $20

You'll use that to design your oil change timelines.

Guys, this is why we go to grammar school - well, some of us sha wink

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 12:06am On Mar 03, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I'm too educated to be touching used engine oil, no wonder you guys die like fleas in Nigeria.

What you do is send your oil to a laboratory for test - $20

You'll use that to design your oil change timelines.

Guys, this is why we go to grammar school - well, some of us sha wink

Eeya! Sudanese man; for bragado only.

What is the big deal in touching used engine oil to the extent you are calling Nigeria out loud like someone with extremely hot pap in his mouth.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 12:10am On Mar 03, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

It is not all over. I place orders for product from the states.Ok sir

it is not safe switching to high quality full synthetic engine oil if you have been abusing engine with the wrong engine oil in the past. It carries it's risks like oil shorts, and possible smoke.

Means it is not readily available all over Nigeria which is a turn off. You didn't tell us the price for others to know.

I better stick with the so-called oil abuse by you that I've been using for 2 years without issue than doing ultimate search for this your own oil whenever I want to service my engine.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:54am On Mar 03, 2018
legalwealth:

Means it is not readily available all over Nigeria which is a turn off. You didn't tell us the price for others to know.

I better stick with the so-called oil abuse by you that I've been using for 2 years without issue than doing ultimate search for this your own oil whenever I want to service my engine.

There are a few workshops like mine that stock this engine oil all year round.

As per the option of 20w50, it's a choice.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Nobody: 1:28am On Mar 03, 2018
EgunMogaji:

what are the dangers of touching used engine oil pls?

i change out my generator oil all the time, and i definitely touch the used oil
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Nobody: 1:39am On Mar 03, 2018
legalwealth:

Eeya! Sudanese man; for bragado only.

What is the big deal in touching used engine to the extent you are calling Nigeria out loud like someone with extremely hot pap in his mouth.

Sudanese ni kan ko, add Togolese join put wink

Painment is not letting you write with gumption.

I do miss hot pap though. Men, hot pap with akara that's fried in palm oil cool

3 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Nobody: 1:40am On Mar 03, 2018
oyb:

Mr. OYB, surely you joke Sir grin
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Nobody: 1:55am On Mar 03, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Mr. OYB, surely you joke Sir grin

i have learnt something new and frightening sad

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-all-of-the-fluids-in-your-car-can-kill-you-1789532554
https://darkokapelina.com/2013/08/10/is-exposure-to-motor-oil-bad-for-people/

so i guess i need to buy a pair of gloves

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Nobody: 2:40am On Mar 03, 2018
oyb:

i have learnt something new and frightening sad

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-all-of-the-fluids-in-your-car-can-kill-you-1789532554
https://darkokapelina.com/2013/08/10/is-exposure-to-motor-oil-bad-for-people/

so i guess i need to buy a pair of gloves

Apologies Sir, I really thought you were joking.

Yeah, the most dangerous rooms in an American house is the garage and under the kitchen sink (this is where most households keep household cleaning supply which comprises of very dangerous chemicals, some after being mized together).

Now, the argument might be that you change your oil so infrequently that it does not matter but as for me any risk that I can avoid I do so within reason.

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by bravolad(m): 12:35pm On Mar 03, 2018
oyb:

Skin cancer.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by 9icetoo(m): 8:44pm On Mar 03, 2018
op, yes it is safe to top up as long as the engine has cooled down a bit (my opinion as it will be unwise to introduce thermal shock to those shiny metals that keep your engine purring like a cat).

to the guy who has been using Mobil xhp to "meticulously" maintain his EOD, I hail oo.
tomorrow we will see the same car for sale on Nairaland for 1.3 million and advertised as "no issues" when the engine is already on its last legs.

to the guy who asked if his engine is okay if it burns through roughly 1 litre per 1000km. your engine is okay.
some Toyota cars burn through 1 litre of oil per 1000km as they age and some from factory.
reason why your car manufacturer advises you to check your fluids each time you fill up your tank.
some people do so every morning.
so no cause for alarm but if the oil burning increases, switch to heavier weight oil, if it persists and there is no external leaks, then start saving money for a new engine and consult gazzuzz.
cryop, yes it is safe to top up as long as the engine has cooled down a bit (my opinion as it will be unwise to introduce thermal shock to those shiny metals that keep your engine purring like a cat).

to the guy who has been using Mobil xhp to "meticulously" maintain his EOD, I hail oo.
tomorrow we will see the same car for sale on Nairaland for 1.3 million and advertised as "no issues" when the engine is already on its last legs.

to the guy who asked if his engine is okay if it burns through roughly 1 litre per 1000km. your engine is okay.
some Toyota cars burn through 1 litre of oil per 1000km as they age and some from factory.
reason why your car manufacturer advises you to check your fluids each time you fill up your tank.
so no cause for alarm but if the oil burning increases, switch to heavier weight oil, if it persists and there is no external leaks, then start saving money for a new engine and consult gazzuzz.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 10:44pm On Mar 03, 2018
9icetoo:
op, yes it is safe to top up as long as the engine has cooled down a bit (my opinion as it will be unwise to introduce thermal shock to those shiny metals that keep your engine purring like a cat).

cryop, yes it is safe to top up as long as the engine has cooled down a bit (my opinion as it will be unwise to introduce thermal shock to those shiny metals that keep your engine purring like a cat).

Looking at the bolded; you sounded like someone with extreme low level of thinking and a one way traffic person. "Faculty of thinking re low" in my wife's mother tone.

How many people are using let alone have access to the recommended engine oil the one Gazzuzz claims to be selling which he even refused to answer my question regarding its price.

Call out 100 people using EOD to find out the best and available engine oil recommended for them. Don't forget to also evaluate the extremely scarce engine oil that Gazzuzz is advertising; you can also ask him to genuinely answer my questions or he can as well answer the questions if he is real.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:50pm On Mar 03, 2018
legalwealth:

Looking at the bolded; you sounded like someone with extreme low level of thinking. "Faculty of thinking re low" in my wife's mother tone.

How many people are using let alone have access to the recommended engine oil the one Gazzuzz claims to be selling which we even refused to answer my question regarding its price.

Call out 100 people using EOD to find out the best and available engine recommended for them. Don't forget to also evaluate the extremely scarce engine oil that Gazzuzz is advertising; you can also ask him to genuinely answer my questions or he can as well answer the questions. if he is real.

obviously new on cartalk.

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 10:52pm On Mar 03, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

obviously new on cartalk.

Lol! Seems you didn't get my tactic.

I only used that to challenge you to answer my question on the price of your said synthetic engine which you have been dodging except you
have something hidden regarding that.

Besides and what are you insinuating? That you are treated like a god of whatever on nairaland does not confirm you to be god of the same whatever in Nigeria. Who knows if you are just doing copy and paste from online to deceive most people! !!

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:11pm On Mar 03, 2018
legalwealth:

Lol! Seems you didn't get my tactic.

I only used that to challenge you to answer my question on the price of your said synthetic engine which you have been dodging except you
have something hidden regarding that.

Besides and what are you insinuating? That you are treated like a god of whatever on nairaland does not confirm you to be god of the same whatever in Nigeria. Who knows if you are just doing copy and paste from online to deceive most people! !!

learn to use the search button. https://www.nairaland.com/3924736/back-again-mobil1-5w30-5w20

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:15pm On Mar 03, 2018
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 11:16pm On Mar 03, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

learn to use the search button. https://www.nairaland.com/3924736/back-again-mobil1-5w30-5w20

You shouldn't have said this "learn to use the search button" as it says some things about your personality.

What would it have caused you to must have dropped the link all these while or you drop it without saying something like what you said?
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 11:20pm On Mar 03, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

See what I circled in the image below extracted from this thread.

He had no option than to go for that of Toyota. Does that make any sense?

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:23pm On Mar 03, 2018
legalwealth:

You shouldn't have said this "learn to use the search button" as it says some things about your personality.

What would it have caused you to must have dropped the link all these while or you drop it without saying something like what you said?

Learn to read instructions.

this is not an advert section.

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:26pm On Mar 03, 2018
legalwealth:

See what I circled in the image below extracted from this thread.

He had no option than to go for that of Toyota. Does that make any sense?

What you pour into your engine is none of my business.

I drove from ogba to yaba to buy Amala today in white house. it is a choice, there was Amala and eba in ikeja but I didn't buy.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings / Mazda MPV Problems: Car Won't Accelerate Beyond 60km/hr At Half-tank / How Is GOLF 3 Fuel Economy When One Uses AC 24/7?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.