Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,615 members, 7,816,526 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? (11879 Views)

2007 Honda Accord Leaks Oil When Engine Is Hot / This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:13pm On Mar 07, 2018
legalwealth:

Silence will be the answer for your type henceforth... I'm sure you know what that means; you can continue.

I see you have realised you're your mistakes. You are welcome.

in future pick your battles carefully. Do not think because he is a mechanic I will just use my 30bn for the acc N30 to intimidate and keep him quiet, look through the thread, you just disgraced your self and added your full name and phone number to the mix, any one who types your name on Google will see all your responses and will be disappointed. Just imagine your family members seeing this display of ignorance. Well we will pray for you, there is nothing God cannot do.

I am here and waiting.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by 3kay945(m): 12:22pm On Mar 07, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I see you have realised you're your mistakes. You are welcome.

in future pick your battles carefully. Do not think because he is a mechanic I will just use my 30bn for the acc N30 to intimidate and keep him quiet, look through the thread, you just disgraced your self and added your full name and phone number to the mix, any one who types your name on Google will see all your responses and will be disappointed. Just imagine your family members seeing this display of ignorance. Well we will pray for you, there is nothing God cannot do.

I am here and waiting.

Bros, why fight dey hungry you like this Free the dude simple! Let's use your effort in more productive way sir
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 1:23pm On Mar 07, 2018

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 1:36pm On Mar 07, 2018
3kay945:

Bros, why fight dey hungry you like this Free the dude simple! Let's use your effort in more productive way sir

Psycologically analysing his responses, he is and has been sounding like someone pained that someone just busted him in sensible conversations.

Unbiased minds and people will pretty understand and appreciate my points raised and things shed light on.

No one has been able to answer my question on the reason Mobil stopped selling the so-called synthetic engine oil after selling it in Nigeria for just 2 years. But they made the Mobil XHP readily available and as well recommending it for the servicing of cars; are you people trying to tell me that Mobil does not know what they are doing or is it that Nigerians can't afford to buy the oil?

I'm still and have been waiting for the answer to that question! No one has the right to be calling those using other engine oil they prefer with reasons known to them fools/idiots all because he/she wants to sell so-called imported engine oil that is not always readily available in the Nigeria market. I believe that anyone doing or acting such is the president of fools/idiots! !!
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:39pm On Mar 07, 2018
[quote author=3kay945 post=65634941]

Bros, why fight dey hungry you like this

no I will not take it!!

Free the dude simple!

is he still breathing? grin

Let's

you and who?

use your effort in more productive way sir

yes daddy grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:46pm On Mar 07, 2018
legalwealth:

Psycologically analysing his responses, he is and has been sounding like someone pained that someone just busted him in sensible conversations.

Unbiased minds and people will pretty understand and appreciate my points raised and things shed light on.

No one has been able to answer my question on the reason Mobil stopped selling the so-called synthetic engine oil after selling it in Nigeria for just 2 years. But they made the Mobil XHP readily available and as well recommending it for the servicing of cars; are you people trying to tell me that Mobil does not know what they are doing or is it that Nigerians can't afford to buy the oil?

I'm still and have been waiting for the answer to that question! No one has the right to be calling those using other engine oil they prefer with reasons known to them fools/idiots all because he/she wants to sell so-called imported engine oil that is not always readily available in the Nigeria market. I believe that anyone doing or acting such is the president of fools/idiots! !!

be a man, think one thing, say one thing. grin

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 2:09pm On Mar 07, 2018
Everyone shouldn't get confused on this issue.

Mobil Oil Nigeria Plc will officially be here any moment to clear the ground that using Mobil XHP engine oil won't damage let alone knock engine over the time if used consistently to service car in as much other things like catalytic converter, 02 sensors etc are always checked working fine and check engine light is not always left on for long.

I've consistently used Mobil XHP engine oil for my Honda accord EOD 05 for 2 years with good maintenance culture and the engine has never failed to start for once let alone be stranded for once. The engine is still very sound and sharp even more than that of most Tokunbos of the same car.

I just finished speaking with them on their line 01-2801600 copied from https://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Galleria_Finance/Nigeria_Company_Profiles/Oil_and_Gas/Mobil_Oil_Nigeria_Plc.html and anyone can call them to ask questions and as well get more enlightened regarding this. Thanks
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:27pm On Mar 07, 2018
legalwealth:

Ok let me help you explain why you still have 20w50 oils on the shelves of most petrol stations and partsellers.

In the 60's and 70's and 80's and early 90's the vehicles on Nigerian roads where designed for the 20w50 weight, their engine designs had larger oil passages, and they were not equipped with OCVs (oil control valves) and variable timing. If you can remember well they had distributors and carburetors back then.

Fast forward to (example honda) 2003 the accords came with timing chains and a variable timing, meaning the distributors were no longer required, and greater efficiency in fuel management could be achieved by varying the timing settings of the engine.

To achieve this, the oil passages of newer engines were modified in the cylinder area, smaller oil passages that required quick delivery of oil for smooth function of the VTECH system or in the Toyota the VVTI other brands call them different names, but same principle applys.

In order for this system to work properly lighter weight oils were required in design.

In some cases only full synthetic oils were required for proper function of the engine (VW FSI engines)

Now we done with the summary of why the engines need the right oil, let's move to why they are not popular.

First reason is acceptance. For most vehicle users, they have a tradition of believing every thing said by their mechanics, and if the mechanics says mobil has the best oil, they go with it, same way a lot of people were deceived into buying peugeot 407 for uber business grin

Now for the mechanic, this is what happend to his mode of thinking.

1. Technology evolved, but he didn't move with it. His Oga used mobil, his ogas Oga used mobil so why should he not follow the ways of the elders?

Same way they remove thermostats and wire fans directly.

2nd reason is price. Full synthetic oils are nearly 3times the price of mineral oil. (The good ones)

3rd is profit. If you know how engine oil is derived from the by product of fractional distillation of crude oil, you will understand the profit in selling mineral oil.

full synthetic oils are not by-product of crude oil, but are chemical based (the good ones) and require more processes for the final product.

As a business entity, your first goal is to make profit.

the engine oils labels 20w50 are still applicable in most vehicles older than 2000 (trucks and heavy-duty machinery inclusive) but since they labeled their products accordingly and people were still buying, why would they not sell.

finally another thing that happened was new cars (foreign used) came into the country they had been using the right oils before they came in, and when they got into Nigeria, they started using the wrong oils for long periods of time, then the oil marketers introduced the right weights into the market, and some people switched brands, next problem was engines began shorting oil and smoking and knocking why? Because they had abused the engines for a long time before they tried the right oils.

The oil marketers started to loose customers, and patronage on the synthetic brands were not so good, so they stuck to what works, good old 20w50, your grandfather used it, you should use it to.

I hope you are clear now?

6 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:28pm On Mar 07, 2018
legalwealth:

Mobil Oil Nigeria Plc will officially be here any moment to clear the ground that using Mobil XHP engine oil

cc superescue

won't damage let alone knock engine over the time if used consistently to service car in as much other things like catalytic converter, 02 sensors etc are always checked working fine and check engine light is not always left on for long.

I've consistently used Mobil XHP engine oil for my Honda accord EOD 05 for 2 years with good maintenance culture and the engine has never failed to start for once let alone be stranded for once. The engine is still very sound and sharp even more than that of most Tokunbos of the same car.

I just finished speaking with them on their line 01-2801600 copied from https://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Galleria_Finance/Nigeria_Company_Profiles/Oil_and_Gas/Mobil_Oil_Nigeria_Plc.html and anyone can call them to ask questions and as well get more enlightened regarding this. Thanks
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by nakoks(m): 2:28pm On Mar 07, 2018
legalwealth:

Mobil Oil Nigeria Plc will officially be here any moment to clear the ground that using Mobil XHP engine oil won't damage let alone knock engine over the time if used consistently to service car in as much other things like catalytic converter, 02 sensors etc are always checked working fine and check engine light is not always left on for long.

I refrained for so long from commenting but i must say you are no different from a buhari supporter.No matter what is said you don't want to see the light.Relish in your ignorance since you don't want to learn.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 2:34pm On Mar 07, 2018

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 2:35pm On Mar 07, 2018
legalwealth:

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:26pm On Mar 07, 2018
since you have invited mobil, let's try front page?

Cc lalasticlala grin
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by diportivo: 3:37pm On Mar 07, 2018
this guy reminds me of dancok

na so he do strong-headed till he no fit show face for here again

this dude sees 5w20 as d recommended oil from Honda,and somehow still believes what Mobil says grin

na so honda go talk 35psi,Una go dey follow vulcanizer do 50psi

I'm sure his fan is running direct sef undecided

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Adedolapo1: 4:51pm On Mar 07, 2018
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=65638116][/quote]

CC: sooperrescue
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Adedolapo1: 4:52pm On Mar 07, 2018
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=65638116][/quote]sooperrescue
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 10:13am On Mar 08, 2018
diportivo:

this dude sees 5w20 as d recommended oil from Honda,and somehow still believes what Mobil says grin

My fan has never been running direct and it is not running direct; common sense require you come and check first before making such statement.

Regarding the tire psi, Honda recommends 32 for front and 30 for back for EOD but due to our kind of road, I've been using 35 for all the tires. Can you say another unconfirmed thing?
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 10:15am On Mar 08, 2018
lalasticlala is free to move this thread to frontpage; that will help for more professional clarifications from concerned bodies! !!
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 10:41am On Mar 08, 2018
diportivo:

Say what happened to dancok. Don't just come and give half-baked information here.

It will check you that it must have been the cause of whatever happened to him and not the Mobil engine oil. Most Nigerians naturally lack overall maintenance culture; only few Nigerians do.

I'm kind of sure that if his case is well analysed, we will detect that whatever happened to him should have been as a result of his lack of maintenance culture and not the oil that you are pointing ill fingers to.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by diportivo: 10:48am On Mar 08, 2018
legalwealth:

My fan has never been running direct and it is not running direct; common sense require you come and check first before making such statement.

Regarding the tire psi, Honda recommends 32 for front and 30 for back for EOD but due to our kind of road, I've been using 35 for all the tires. Can you say another unconfirmed thing?

the irony in the bolded tho undecided

legalwealth:

Say what happened to dancok. Don't just come and give half-baked information here.

It will check you that it must have been the cause of whatever happened to him and not the Mobil engine oil. Most Nigerians naturally lack overall maintenance culture; only few Nigerians do.

I'm kind of sure that if his case is well analysed, we will detect that whatever happened to him should have been as a result of his lack of maintenance culture and not the oil that you are pointing ill fingers to.

you ain't a demeanor

and u neva will be grin grin
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:49am On Mar 08, 2018
legalwealth:

cc demeanors
Banky3w, chukel, computerglobal, Diportivo, erico2k2, Gazzuzz, honmusa, Kingreign, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, nurey, Obekediamondfuto, Princetom1, thebigkendo, timifakay, aieromon

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by timifakay(m): 11:12am On Mar 08, 2018
legalwealth:

You need to read more sir.
Stop acting solely on what you heard. Search for Dancok and you will see for yourself.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by chukel(m): 11:47am On Mar 08, 2018
Still waiting for mobil
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by jodeci(m): 2:39pm On Mar 08, 2018
chukel:
Still waiting for mobil

Mobil Ogbomosho branch you mean? Lol!

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by Cosplay: 3:58pm On Mar 08, 2018
legalwealth:

Illegalwealth
Reading your blind and ignorant posts reminded me of blackberry, Kodak, Nokia, MySpace and the other thousands of brands and individuals that lost relevance and became dinosaurs because they refused to evolve with the times and stayed obstinate because ‘but this method has been working for us’
I couldn’t quote all the rather amateurish and implausible comments you’ve made on this thread, the sheer silliness would literally decimate brain cells.

You modified your Tires from their recommended pressure because of ‘Our roads’? Because Bridgestone and pirelli and Michelin didn’t expose their products to an unimaginable range of extreme situations? Of course you’re the expert so you’d know better than Honda’s thousands of engineers and designers who put the vehicle through a wide variety of scenarios to come up with the recommended figures.
Debating you would be like boiling a stone. The stone cannot respond as required, not because it isn’t willing to, but because it simply doesn’t have the ability to.
E no Dey factory settings.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:54pm On Mar 08, 2018
Cosplay:

Illegalwealth
Reading your blind and ignorant posts reminded me of blackberry, Kodak, Nokia, MySpace and the other thousands of brands and individuals that lost relevance and became dinosaurs because they refused to evolve with the times and stayed obstinate because ‘but this method has been working for us’
I couldn’t quote all the rather amateurish and implausible comments you’ve made on this thread, the sheer silliness would literally decimate brain cells.

You modified your Tires from their recommended pressure because of ‘Our roads’? Because Bridgestone and pirelli and Michelin didn’t expose their products to an unimaginable range of extreme situations? Of course you’re the expert so you’d know better than Honda’s thousands of engineers and designers who put the vehicle through a wide variety of scenarios to come up with the recommended figures.
Debating you would be like boiling a stone. The stone cannot respond as required, not because it isn’t willing to, but because it simply doesn’t have the ability to.
E no Dey factory settings.

haha haha haha, most hilarious thread of 2018!

boiling a stone? lmfao
are u in anyway implying that legalwealth is an outright blockhead with a deep empty shell where the brains should be? please let's be civil!!!!!! hahahahaha

come where dose guys wey dey swap anything swappable? this guy needs a good IQ swap cos there are some things that I'm seeing here that I wonder where it is coming from..... excessive abuse of drugs or inability to utilize this "not so" common sense.

kai it's been a while I've seen Gazuzz in such a mood, we dedicate this mood to MOBIL XHP.

BTW which Mobil staff is coming? is it their manager @ ikotun filling station? I'd love to read his poems tho

diportivo abeg borrow me that ur "it will result to ..... " pix

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by LeJeun3: 9:59pm On Mar 08, 2018
legalwealth:

Cc: sooperrescue
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by oluwaseunla(m): 10:13pm On Mar 08, 2018
legalwealth:

Let me try again. Guy, no one said Mobil XHP is bad. What is being said is that it is not the right oil for an EOD. This information is verifiable online. XHP is 20W-50. Your car needs 5w-30. Hope you understand now?
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by disloman(m): 10:18pm On Mar 08, 2018
legalwealth:

My engine can never knock; you can as well ask the other guy on this thread that said he bought a car from someone using the same spec of oil
which he also continued using has seen his engine knock. Don't forget I said that there are other things aside engine oil that need attention. Some things like Catalytic converter, 02 sensor etc in the sense that if one is even using manufacturer specific oil and those things are not in place or in good condition or working perfectly, engine can knock at any time.

Not using manufacturer specified engine oil is not the major cause of engine knocking for those that don't know! !!
Okay.
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by diportivo: 10:46pm On Mar 08, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

haha haha haha, most hilarious thread of 2018!

boiling a stone? lmfao
are u in anyway implying that legalwealth is an outright blockhead with a deep empty shell where the brains should be? please let's be civil!!!!!! hahahahaha

come where dose guys wey dey swap anything swappable? this guy needs a good IQ swap cos there are some things that I'm seeing here that I wonder where it is coming from..... excessive abuse of drugs or inability to utilize this "not so" common sense.

kai it's been a while I've seen Gazuzz in such a mood, we dedicate this mood to MOBIL XHP.

BTW which Mobil staff is coming? is it their manager @ ikotun filling station? I'd love to read his poems tho

diportivo abeg borrow me that ur "it will result to ..... " pix

Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by timifakay(m): 10:54pm On Mar 08, 2018
legalwealth:

And so?
ṣé káma sálọ ni? (make we dey run?)
Re: Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? by legalwealth(m): 12:04am On Mar 09, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Let me try again. Guy, no one said Mobil XHP is bad. What is being said is that it is not the right oil for an EOD. This information is verifiable online. XHP is 20W-50. Your car needs 5w-30. Hope you understand now?

Point of correction; it is 5w-20 written on a cover of the engine and not 5w-30 that you said which I knew from the day I bought the car because I went through the manual that came with it.. Aside that, stressfully using so-called recommended engine oil is an illusion; Mobil XHP can be used instead with good maintenance most especially on vital parts like catalytic converter, 02 sensor and co; that is what I've been trying to tell you people.

I can't stop shaking my head while looking at the comments of some immatured or let me call them blocked-brain individuals here who seem not to have been well trained and still publicly displaying it.

I chose to ignore them by not quoting them because the wise ones have long time said it that silence is always the best answer for such people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car / My Defender Project.....! / Chevrolet Launches Unlimited Data Plan For 4G LTE Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.