Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

India Breastfeeding Magazine Cover Ignites Debate (photos) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / India Breastfeeding Magazine Cover Ignites Debate (photos) (798 Views)

Can You Appear Naked In Front Of A Magazine Cover For 4 Billion Naira? / “I Masturbate When I Breastfeed My Son” – Breastfeeding Mother Makes Weird Confe / "A Woman On Lowcut?" Victor Poko Johnson's Nude Loved Up Photo Sparks Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

India Breastfeeding Magazine Cover Ignites Debate (photos) by gracefoundmme(m): 10:52am On Mar 02, 2018
An Indian magazine that published a picture of a model breastfeeding a baby as its cover photo has sharply divided opinion on social media.

The cover of Grihalakshmi, which is published in Kerala state, depicts model Gilu Joseph staring straight into the camera with a baby at her chest.

The text above reads “Moms tell Kerala – don’t stare, we want to breastfeed”.

This is thought to be the first time an Indian magazine has published a cover image of a woman breastfeeding.

But the fact that the model is not herself a mother has caused some discomfort and generated debate.

Grihalakshmi’s editor said the magazine wanted to raise awareness about the need for mothers to be able to breastfeed in public.

“A month ago, a man shared a picture of his wife breastfeeding on Facebook to start a conversation about letting mothers feed in public spaces. But the result was that the woman was subjected to cyber-bullying from both men and women,” Moncy Joseph told the BBC’s Ashraf Padanna

Meet the woman behind the breastfeeding emoji
‘Why I gave my baby another woman’s breast milk’
Breastfeeding mother sells milk on street
“That is why we decided to dedicate our latest issue to breastfeeding mothers.”

Many women in India who wear the traditional sari breastfeed in public, using the garment as a means of covering themselves. But this option is not available to women who do not want to wear the sari.

The World Health Organisation recommends exclusively breastfeeding babies for the first six months of their life.

Many people posted on social media in support of both the magazine and the model.

To some it’s gross, to some it’s a free show. To a child, it’s unquestionably simple and necessary. To anyone smart in enough, it’s natural. Good work.

It’s very courageous. It should encourage host of mothers to do what should be normally done for the betterment and overall growth of the infant

But the campaign has also drawn criticism for featuring a model rather than an actual breastfeeding mother.

“That point at which you decided to push a real mother actually breastfeeding her child into the inner pages and portray a model holding a baby to her bare breast on your cover is where you delved into cheap sensationalism and exploitation,” wrote blogger Anjana Nayar in a blog post.

But Gilu Joseph has defended her decision to pose for the magazine cover.

“I was expecting a lot of criticism, but I decided to take it all on with pleasure for the sake of all mothers who want to breastfeed with pride and a sense of freedom,” she told the BBC

One magazine quoted her as saying “which god will be angry if you feed your child?”

“It may not lead to a revolution in breastfeeding in public, but it is an important step. I only this doesn’t end up as usual in an apology from the editor.”

Breastfeeding in public is a contentious issue around the world.

In Scotland, a survey showed that more than a quarter of new mothers said that they were made to feel “uncomfortable” about breastfeeding in public.

Last year a study showed that rates of breastfeeding in the UK were the lowest in the world.

Only one in 200 women – or 0.5% – were still doing any degree of breastfeeding after a year, compared with 23% in Germany, 27% in the US, 56% in Brazil and 99% in Senegal.
Re: India Breastfeeding Magazine Cover Ignites Debate (photos) by gracefoundmme(m): 10:52am On Mar 02, 2018
check here for pictures ; http://mreporters.com/india-breastfeeding-magazine-cover-ignites-debate/

for more pics check out d link

Re: India Breastfeeding Magazine Cover Ignites Debate (photos) by Shedrack777: 10:53am On Mar 02, 2018
where's the picture?
Re: India Breastfeeding Magazine Cover Ignites Debate (photos) by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:54am On Mar 02, 2018
No picture?
Re: India Breastfeeding Magazine Cover Ignites Debate (photos) by gracefoundmme(m): 11:41am On Mar 02, 2018
YoungDaNaval:
No picture?
Do check it

(1) (Reply)

Fiverr Users Come In / Man Posts Nud3 Photo Of His Girlfriend Online Because Of This / My Parents Will Not Approve My Marriage Because….

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.