Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,285 members, 7,815,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

The Hole In The Wall - Literature (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Hole In The Wall (435166 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / A Short Story - The Wall Between- Haruna Shukurat / lovely new series to read: The Wall Betweeen by Shukura Haruna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hole In The Wall by phoenixchap: 4:46pm On May 10, 2018
@Souloho19. It's Olivia turn to defend her territory God help her, but please let this update be about longer.

I'm waiting for another blockbuster from you even

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by itsandi(m): 6:07pm On May 10, 2018
Interesting smiley smiley smiley Enjoy other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Read!
Re: The Hole In The Wall by HelenBee(f): 6:11pm On May 10, 2018
itsandi:
Interesting smiley smiley smiley Enjoy other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Read!
You're on every literature thread.

Souloho19, thanks man.

I just pray nothing happens to those little angels.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 6:30pm On May 10, 2018
[/color][quote author=souloho19 post=67438468]dedicated to oroolorun...[quote]
Thanks for the dedication.
I can't wait to see another update. I think the target is Olivia, others just need to sleep to pave way for her attacks.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by HORLADSTAR(m): 6:58pm On May 10, 2018
HelenBee:

I just pray nothing happens to those little angels.

AMEN To That embarassed

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by paafin(m): 8:41pm On May 10, 2018
Someone's about to die!!

Keep it coming, sir..

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Opeade939(f): 10:04pm On May 10, 2018
souloho19:
Chisiudeh phoenixchap horladstar honourable356 EkopSparoAyara Meneski helenbee vickyluvspices iamloyalty agp19 joshnes heemah joislim rchilee labelle123 oroolorun boffinjay evaristomonarch nikz quineetee chii8 whocarex opeade939 kaycee9242 Godwinfury eberechi24 alarmednigerian adeculate
Thanks for your comments fam, the ball is rolling again
Welcome back bro.....

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by EkopSparoAyara(m): 10:39pm On May 10, 2018
Andy,be careful....
Rex,sedatives are torturing your family,a mysterious lady has them at the corner where she wants....
Let's see how this goes..
Bravo Souloho...

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Kaycee9242(m): 12:07am On May 11, 2018
Souloho am very glad to av u back, u are doing a great job but if it will be OK by u pls always tell us d day to expect d next update Dts how most of d writers do now, tanx alot

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Charminee(f): 3:24am On May 11, 2018
Thanks for the mention souloho. This is getting tougher. I'm glad olivia didn't take the ice cream. And i hope that woman didn't tamper with that soup

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by joshnes(m): 10:00am On May 11, 2018
souloho19 good to have you back man, missed this a lot. I'm here till the end. In the meantime, things be getting real and our student doctor smells fishy.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 4:27pm On May 12, 2018
Holadstar dimssy light4life phoenixchap helenbee oroolorun paafin opeade 939 ekopsparoayara kaycee942 charminee joshnes

::::::::::::::::::::

I hadn't spoken to Olivia all day and I badly needed to hear her voice. I was about dialling her number when my phone rang. I checked the caller ID and it was Tonye.

"Tonye, whats up"
"Rex, how is the test going on?" she asked
"Its going smoothly" I checked my watch, it was 7:10pm "we've been here for more than three hours but Terry says it would be over very soon"
"Oh....."
"How about you, how's it going?"
"Doctor Rasheed is through, the result is ready"

I sat up immediately even though I was standing. "What is it, the result what is it?"
"Its....." she hesitated
"What?" I persisted
"Its positive, its the same body. Fome' is the one buried, I'm sorry"

This time I went round the desk and sat in the chair. "Don't be, its better this way...better to....let the past stay buried"
She was silent.
"Wait, is he sure....hope he didn't make any mistake" I asked.
"No, that's the result....he ran multiple tests to make sure"
Now I was silent.
"How did her print get on the scene?" She asked.
"I don't know.....it has to be some kind of mistake" I concluded.

There was a knock on the door and I snatched myself from my mini trance. "I gotta go, I'd call you when Terry is done"
"Alright.....hey we're here for you, don't forget that"

I opened the door to find a uniform officer. He held a manilla envelope which I knew contained the photograph Dagnet had requested.

"I have something for detective Dagnet" he said gruffly.

"Its alright, you can give it to me"

He scoffed. "In your dreams buddy, you can walk around with a badge and a gun but you're just an amateur, you think crime fighting is show business?"

"What- I don't even have a gun and badge" I gestured to my belt, no badge, no gun. Not even an empty holster.

"Cause You're not a real detective, you're just the fancy boy who receives the accolades after WE do the real work!"
"Men i'm sick of your bullshit. Hand me the file now"
"Or what?" He sneered
"Or i'll kick your ass" I took a threatening step forward
"I'd like to see you try"
I studied my chances and his stout frame. The police uniform was stretched over his biceps and he had very broad shoulders, two buttons were popped open, impossible to close due to the extra width of his chest . I carefully took a step back.

"Somto hand him the file" Dagnet said from behind me. It seems she was fond of popping up behind people.
I wondered when she had entered the room and how long she had watched my challenge with this mannerless gorilla.

Somto handed the file to me. Or pushed it in my face is more appropriate and without a word he left the office.

"Well he's a ray of sunshine" I said as I opened the envelope and removed the picture.

The face was young and beautiful and it took me back to my university days, when I had met Fome' and fallen crazily in love with her. She was still much younger here maybe twelve or thirteen but it was her, there was no mistaking it.

I sat on the desk.

"I sent a uniform to the hotel with the picture to talk with the clerk and the couple who saw her...I didn't know you'd bring DNA then" Dagnet said

"There has to be some kind of mistake in the fingerprint...it wasn't her"
"There can't be a mistake, no stolen identity...at one point or another she touched the hole in the wall and given that the hole wasn't there previously, that makes her the number one suspect"
"It wasn't her" I said weakly
"And how do you know?"
"The DNA result from another lab just came out....she's still buried."
"Whaat....how can that be possible?"
"Believe me, if there's one thing I've learnt in my short detecting career, its that impossible is nothing"

::::::::::::::::::::::

?? ??

She strolled at a leisure pace, she had all the time in the world. And although the sky was pitch black, it wasn't dark enough.

She had her hand in her purse and she stroked the cold metal of her gun. She began to sing "Bullet proof, fire away....fire away.."

::::::::::::::::::::::

Alli no Joy jerked awake once again when his chin touched his chest. He gripped the remote and increased the volume. The 8 o'clock news had started and he never missed it.

"Goodevening, now a recap of our headlines....The house of assembly yesterday issued a statement...."

His eyes jerked open "Recap?" He glanced above the Tv at the wall clock. It was 9 pm already.
He struggled to catch the major headlines but he was too dizzy, it seemed the newscaster was speaking gibberish and he couldn't decipher a word.
He didn't know when his eyes closed and he resumed snoring. This time however, he stretched fully on the 3 seater.

:::::::::::::::::

Olivia couldn't shake the feeling off. She couldn't even place a finger on the feeling but it didn't feel nice. She closed the romance novel she had been reading then watched Emma as her daughter slept.

She couldn't help but worry, especially when her father in law had fallen asleep suddenly while they were talking.

She suddenly needed to speak to her husband. She had been so busy through out that they hadn't spoken at all. And he hadn't called her which was odd. He must also be very busy. She tried not to imagine what he was busy doing. She got up from the bed to retrieve her phone from the dresser then stopped and frowned at her daughter. Emma would always, as in always cry out whenever she left the bed, either to go pee in the night or in the morning when she was the first one to wake. Now she was sleeping apparently undisturbed.
Olivia nearly had an urge to put her fingers underneath Emma's nostrils to be sure she was still breathing. But the rise and fall of her chest was visible.
She dismissed the disturbing thoughts from her mind and picked up her phone. Once she heard Rex's voice she'd feel better. She knew it.

She was drawing her screen unlock pattern when she heard the noise.
A sharp metallic clang followed by rustling and a strange noise which was strangely familiar.

"Alli?" She called out. The sound had come from outside and she reasoned it was him taking out the trash like he did every night. But then, if he was taking the garbage out she would have heard the gate leading outside open. And more convincing was the faint snoring coming from the parlour.

:::::::::::::::

Dagnet came back and met me how she had left me. And she had been gone for almost an hour. She held two cups of coffee in her hands and placed them on the table.

"For you and your partner"
"Thanks" Bami hadn't come out since we went in, he was glued to the proceedure and Terry was gladly teaching his audience. Maybe that was why the test was going so slow, Dr. rasheed had already finished his two hours ago and he started later than Terry. Although to be fair, he probably had more knowledge and experience than the young man.

"I've told Terry to beep me when the result is out...I have a lot of paperwork downstairs" Dagnet said and headed for the door.

Before she could open it, the adjoining door swung open and Bami hurried out or should I say hurried in.

"The test is out" he said breathlessly
"And...?" I held my breath waiting to hear the confirmation that Fome' was indeed 6 feet under.
"The DNA doesn't match....she's not the one"

"well at least we can cross her off the su- wait....what did you say?"

She's not the one...the DNA found at the crime scene doesn't match the body....someone else is buried in her grave"
"What?.....but doctor Rasheed said......wait, so who is the Jane Doe in the grave?"
"Terry is jumping from database to database trying to figure it out right now"
"This is getting too complicated Dagnet said warily"

I sighed as the confliction arose within me. Fome' was dead. Fome was alive. Dr. Rasheed vs Terry.

Hmmmmm..... There were so many questions to ask if Fome where dead and even more questions if she were alive.

"Rex" Bami said rather loudly, drawing my eyes to him. "Your phone is ringing"

I heard the Lucky Dube song that was my ringing tune.

I brought out my phone sluggishly but when I saw Olivia's number my head cleared immediately.

"Hello...."

My face suddenly turned white and ashen and a severe chill passed through my body.

Opening the padlock was easy, she had since created a spare key earlier in the week and it seemed to work more than the original.

The padlock slipped from her hand and hit the gate causing a loud clang. She froze for some seconds then reminded herself everyone was supposed to be knocked out snoring. Apart from the bitch that is, but she was not going to be a problem.

She worked the gate open noiselessly and moved softly and slowly to the house. The moon was nowhere to be found, even the stars too. There was the threat of rain because the night was windy and there were cumulonimbous clouds in the sky.
Still she stayed in the shadows.

It was good the Obasi's didn't have any dog she thought drily.

Suddenly she heard a strange sound.
"Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh"
There was a ram at the other end of the compound. It must have come out from the shed. She guessed it must have been knocked out from the competition bacause she hadn't seen it before. And she'd been to the house a couple of times lately.

The ram, dubbed 'rambo Junior' but not fierce and strong enough to fill the boots of its predecessor charged at her, head bent and gleaming curved horns coming for her.

She didn't move, instead she let her purse fall to the floor then removed something from her jacket pocket. She began to fasten it to the muzzle of her gun as the animal drew closer. She looked calm and didn't move back or get out of the way although her wrist moved very fast.

The ram was few feet from her and ready to 'ram' her into the wall.
She heard the click of the silencer meaning it was in place, she chambered a round and shot the animal between the eyes.
It collapsed immediately, dead before it hit the floor.

She picked up her purse and replaced the gun then she got out a pouch containing lock picks. She decided to go through the rear, through the kitchen entrance, it wasn't as secure as the main entrance.

:::::::::::::::::::

Olivia heard the ram followed by the running steps then she heard a loud thump then nothing.
Her heart was pounding. She tiptoed to the window and peeked out. She could make out the ram on the floor but there was no one there and infact the way the ram was positioned was really akward. She suddenly began to feel cold. There was somebody in the compound!

Then she heard the creak of the kitchen door and gasped. There was someone in the house!

The one thought that entered her mind was her daughter. She would die protecting her.

?? ??

She held the gun in her hand as she crept into the kitchen, there was nothing she could do about the creaking noise except wince.

She knew what room she was going to, she didn't plan to waste time. She walked the corridor slowly, her gun pointed infront of her.

She could hear some serious snoring coming from the parlour. Alli must have consumed a lot of soup and hence a lot of drugs which was the best because he was the biggest threat to her mission. The old man was a tough bastard.

She reached the room and turned the handle softly but it wouldn't open, she jerked the handle furiously but it wouldn't budge. It was locked from inside.

It was a key lock and she knew she could use her lock pick and get it open in a minute. she retrieved her pouch then on second thought put it back. She aimed the gun at the lock and fired four silenced shots at the lock. One massive kick and the door swung open.

The closest thing to a weapon Olivia had found in the room was a toy car that had a sharp end. It was modelled after the formula one cars and she reckoned with enough speed it could gouge someone's eyes out.

But when the muffled shots rang out and holes appeared in the door, she began to lose her nerve to fear. But then she glanced at her daughter and the fear was converted to anger and determination.

The moment the door swung open, she threw herself at the figure.

::::::::::::::::

?? ??

She was unprepared for the attack and just managed to step back in time. The toy missed her eyes and scraped her cheek drawing blood and causing a sharp stinging pain.

She was prepared for the return swing this time and parried it with her hand. She side stepped and swung out a kick. She purposely didn't aim high but let her heel bury itself in the bitch's stomach.

Olivia gasped and stumbled back. The pain was unbelievable and her knees were suddenly magneted to the floor. She struggled to remain on her feet, clutching her stomach and looking at her attacker. The person wore a ski mask but it was a woman. In the formula fitting jump suit there was no disguising the curves. Deadly curves.

She stepped forward and Olivia noticed the gun she held for the first time. She tried to recall the moves she had been taught in her self defence classes and the technique of disarming someone that Tonye had showed her but they were all out the window.

"Who are you, what do you want?" She asked finally

"I'm the avenging angel....I've come for what is mine" she looked at the baby sleeping on the bed.

Olivia went mad with rage. "Stay away from my baby....." She threw the toy car with all her strength and charged at the intruder.

The car struck her on her head. It was painful and for a second she considered giving the bitch a solid beating but time was of the essence. One thing she learnt was never to waste time on a mission, no matter how carefully planned there was always something that could go wrong. The unkonown factor. She had learnt that lesson the hard way.

So as Olivia charged at her, she raised her gun and fired once.

The bullet hit Olivia in the knee. One second she was running and the next she was on the floor. The pain was like nothing she'd ever experienced before, save for child birth but even that was a beautiful pain. This was nasty.

She struggled to stand but the minute she put a little strain on her right foot she collapsed and cried out in pain.

" I hear you used to be a cripple before....well let me reunite you with your wheelchair" The voice was bitter and she bent over Olivia, placed the muzzle of the gun on her left knee and fired again.

Olivia cried out in pain, but the pain was nothing compared to the heart ache she felt when the woman stood over Emma and picked her up.

She carried the baby and headed for the door without a word. When she got to the door she felt something pull at her leg.

Olivia had somehow managed to crawl on her belly and held her by the trousers. The grip was very weak.

"please don't do this....she's just a child, i'd do whatever you want anything"

The woman looked down at her for some seconds. Then suddenly gave her a viscious kick to the head which knocked her out temporarily.

:::

When she came to, they were gone. The woman had taken her baby. Her baby was stolen!

Hysteria threatened to spill over but the unbelievable pain in both legs kept it in check. She glanced down and saw the trail of blood she had spread when she belly crawled. It was a lot of blood.

She saw her phone under the bed where it must have fallen during the struggle. With agonizing pain she moved slowly, inch by painful inch until her hand could reach the phone.

She called her husband, struggling to stay conscious. She feared if she passed out, she would pass on.

"Hello"
"Emma....Emma has been taken!" she began sobbing as the hysteria broke loose. Her heart was broken in a billion pieces.

On the other end of the call, Rex had gone as white as snow and still like a statue.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by joshnes(m): 5:32pm On May 12, 2018
OMG!!! you've got to be kidding me. Poor Olivia, Poor Emma. The inevitable climax.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by paafin(m): 6:46pm On May 12, 2018
Olivia getting back to the wheelchair for life?

Na we dey here..

Well done, sir.. Always here..

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by HazardMan(m): 7:07pm On May 12, 2018
Nice Update.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Godwinfury(m): 8:29pm On May 12, 2018
Souloho19 is back again!!! #Banger!!

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 9:50pm On May 12, 2018
Fome is alive, Dr Rashid's student had change the sample.
What of chief little daughter that once used to ran after Rex, I won't write her off because snake would always give birth to snake.
Thanks man, we are not going anywhere, hit me with d tory!

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by HORLADSTAR(m): 10:09pm On May 12, 2018
THE HOLE IN THE WALL IS INDEED A BANGER

REX will be like :-
IN TAYLOR SWIFT VOICE

Don't blame me, love made me crazy.
If it doesn't, you ain't doin' it right.
Lord, save me, EMMA is my baby.
I'll be protectin' for the rest of my life.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by dimssy(m): 12:35am On May 13, 2018
This is deep
Re: The Hole In The Wall by dimssy(m): 12:38am On May 13, 2018
Oroolorun:
Fome is alive, Dr Rashid's student had change the sample.
What of chief little daughter that once used to ran after Rex, I won't write her off because snake would always give birth to snake.
Thanks man, we are not going anywhere, hit me with d tory!

On point....
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Charminee(f): 3:42am On May 13, 2018
OMG. Pls not olivia. This woman is so heartless and Andy is just so foolish. I'm just angry sef

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by HelenBee(f): 7:01am On May 13, 2018
Wtf is this heartless avenging angel??
I don't just trust that Christie or what's her name? That Dr's student. . Thanks for the lengthy update Souloho19,we dey your back!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Yemike(m): 2:49pm On May 13, 2018
Poor Olivia. It's a pity she's the pawn in this revenge mission. Now back on the wheel.
Ride on Mr Soul you never disappoints.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by light4life(f): 7:42pm On May 13, 2018
oh mehn!! Andy is a complete dunce! Olivia is a fighter and Rex please don't be a Statue.
Fome!!! you have just touched the tail of a cobra
@leesah coman watch action thriller o.

Souloho19 for president!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by paafin(m): 7:43pm On May 13, 2018
Today wey be Sunday, Oga boss no drop even one update...

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Raingirl(f): 9:14pm On May 13, 2018
Wow.... This is getting tougher. Op nothing must happen to Emma oooo.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by EVARISTOMONARCH: 10:04pm On May 13, 2018
Soul your suspense is Woow!

How could a cop like Andy on a mission allowed his emotions to override his goal. Seriously some guys eeh!

But this unknown Lady serial killer what did she actually want.

Mr Soul please am thirsty for more.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by dimssy(m): 10:14pm On May 13, 2018
Souloho19.... we're waiting manh.

1 Like

Re: The Hole In The Wall by souloho19(m): 11:48pm On May 13, 2018
Dedicated to: joshnes paafin hazardman Godwinfury oroolorun horladstar dimssy charminee helenbee yemike light4life raingirl evaristomonarch. Thanks for not ghosting Jah bless y'all. It's not yet 12 so consider this a sunday bonus as requested

:::::::::::::::::::::::

"Rex!.....Rex what is it? What's going on.....Rex, Rex Rex REX......"

That's what Bami had to be saying because his lips were moving but I couldn't hear anything but the buzzing in my head.

Emma was stolen! Kidnapped! My Emma, gone.

Olivia was weeping hysterically over the phone and I noticed her voice was weak and faint.
"Olivia, where is everybody, are you okay? Where are you? How did it happen? Are you hurt?"

She didn't reply but continued wailing. I guess she was hearing her own buzz in her head.

I tried to get a grip on myself. Control was needed now, I didn't know what had happened or how it had happened but it had happened and now I had to deal with it.

"Olivia.....honey, its going to be ok, I'll get her back I promise" and I meant it. "Now just hold on, I'd call someone to come and check on you right now"

"The blood.....so much blood....." She stammered and the line went dead.

In my young life, I've had the misfortune of going through situations when time stopped still, I have stared death in the eye countless times, been plagued by fear and worry, paranoia and regret. But never in my life and I mean never, had I felt the way I felt that minute when the line got disconnected. The worst of my worst fears, fears I didn't know I had was happening. The fear that I had lost it all.
"Olivia.....Olivia....!" I shouted into the phone
phone.

Still no reply.

I snapped myself out of it and glared at Bami.
"Where are the agents we attached to Olivia for security?!"

"Clyde and Buzz? They are still there, although the status dropped from red hot when the shadow was murdered"

"Jesus Christ! This is my fucking family.... if anything happens to my wife or daughter I'd kill you all!" I shouted like a mad man.

"What happened-"

"Tell them to get their asses to my house, Emma has been kidnapped!"

"My God!" Bami gasped but he was already whipping out his phone. "Where are you? What! are you people mad! Get in there immediately the baby has been kidnapped, under your noses...it just happened, find out what's happening and find her!" He yelled into the phone.

Terry rushed out "What's going on?"

No one answered him, infact no one heard him. Bami was still yelling into the phone and I was listening to Olivia's phone ring without reply.

My heart was in my throat. It tasted salty.
Oh, that was the tears flowing from my eyes. I didn't even know I had been crying.

I tried my Mum next, my dad, my sister- nothing! No reply.

My body began to shake.

I punched the wall with so much force, it scrapped my knuckles. I punched it again and again and again until Bami held me.
I broke down. I was a broken man.

"Rex take it easy, we'll find her....Buzz and john are just down the street they're going in now"

"My God your knuckles are bleeding" Terry said.

"Give me your keys" I said to Bami standing straight and pushing him away.
"Where are you going"
"My family needs me and your'e asking where I'm going? Give me the keys!"
He raised his hands "I don't know where it is...you drove here"

He was right, i touched my pocket and sure enough there it was.

"It makes no sense to start driving to Jos by 10 in the night, its a twelve hour journey from here, it would make more sense to fly there early tomorrow."

"Nothing makes sense anymore" I said and hurried out of the lab.

Everything was a blur, The stairs, the hallway, the curious looks cops sent my way. IT Was colourless, it was grey and it didn't matter. There was too many things occupying my grey matter. Next thing I knew I was in the hilux. I managed to start the engine before I rested my head on the steering and cried like a baby.

After a while, Bami appeared. He tapped the glass signalling I unlock the door. I had pinned the central lock.

It took me forever to push the button. I stared straight ahead looking into the darkness while he kept on tapping the glass.

When I finally unlocked the car, Bami didn't enter immediately. He stood staring at me through the window for some minutes before he entered the truck.

He joined me in staring into the darkness without a word. My eyes were closed but beneath My eyelids, a projector displaying a slideshow of my family was running.

Finally he said. "Rex....after you left Clyde called me, they found Olivia...."

I looked at him weakly expecting the worst.

"She lost a lot of blood but she's in the hospital now....the bastard shot her kneecaps men, she went through a hell of a pain" Bami said with his voice coated with emotion.

I closed my eyes and tried not to imagine Olivia going through that kind of pain. Not again. That was wicked, plain wicked.

When I spoke up however, my voice was calm. "And my parents?"

"They're fine....they are all sleeping, it seems they were drugged because they refused to wake up, every one of them"

"Jesus"

"But Clyde said the doctor adviced to let them sleep it off"

I rubbed my eyes tiredly. How had things gotten to this point?

It began to drizzle.
The soft patter on the roof of the car was the only sound as Bami and I wallowed in silence.

Finally I looked at him. "Fome is behind this, she's the mystery woman and she wants revenge"

"Revenge? What exactly did you do...its not like you did anything to her"

"Really? How about causing the death of her sister and whoever the old crooner was to her." It was evident they cared for each other. I frowned at Bami "And you and your trigger happy thugs finished it. You didn't even call for them to surrender you just assasinated them!"

Bami was quiet. "They were both armed" he said weakly.

"And how about releasing the gas that blew her up, that's More than enough reason to hate me."
" I thought we agreed that she fired her gun, besides she didn't die"
he said more weakly.

"Bami," I frowned at him "what do we do?"

"We'll get her back, I promise"

Those were the same words I said to Olivia earlier while she was bleeding and lying in
a pool of her own blood. I shuddered as the image was projected beneath my eyelids.
"How?" I asked again.

"something happened two years ago, like I told you there was enormous pressure from up to catch Fome' she was tagged a threat to National security. I admit I was really blinded by the promotion I was sure to get if I brought her in." He shook his head.
"and when she kept getting away I became a little obsessed. I wasn't inside the house but you were there Rex think back, there might be something important that happened that you didn't notice.

I buried my face in my hands and when my head pushed against the steering and blasted the horn I didn't jump like before instead I shut my eyes and tried to remember the fateful night. Or unfateful night if such a word exists.

"I had buried and suppressed the memory under blankets of shame, regret, self loath, and finally hope when I met Olivia. Now to dig out the memory I had to uncover each blanket.

The hope was now despair, Fear for my wife and daughter, I loathed myself because I was the cause of it, the one who put them in danger.

I regreted my actions that night, from the gas trick to pointing the gun at her later upstairs.

And I was ashamed, ashamed that I couldn't do anything to help but had run like a coward while the chief was chilling in an airconditioned jeep watching the house burn.

Finally I retraced my steps to the moment I had taken control of the gun. When the Chief's son Emenike had delivered a yoko gerri type karate kick on the old crooner's wrists.

I replayed the events from the night that seemed like decades ago.

At the time I had thought it was just about the 250 million, that Fome and the old crooner had linked up to get the money, 250 mil was more than enough to sway an assasin who was contracted 500k. But that was before I found out about the coordinates but the sisters had wanted something, the coordinates? sure but something else? Fome had threatened him asking for 'the documents' if I remember correctly.

Later on after Mona put me on the widows initiative track with her dying breath, I concluded whatever their mission had been that night had been related to to the initiative but what if there'd been something else.

I had been on a wild goose chase then, believing I was being hunted by terrorist groups and a strike team from the isreali intelligence agency also known as mossad.

"Are you getting anything?" Bami asked.

I ignored him and shut my eyes tighter.

I remembered the night clearly, At a point the chief had said 'you know why I've been lowering my voice all along? because this house is bugged'

On reflecting the events later, I dismissed it as a ruse to get me worked up as he scared me with threats about the efficiency of both killing parties, warning me of the danger from both sides. Something like the devil and the blue sea and yours truly had been stuck in the middle.

But what if he had been serious then? what if the house had been bugged? The question is by who?

I opened my eyes and looked at Bami. i couldn't see a thing, my eyes tried to adjust but there was nothing to asjust to.
"Did you bug the chief's house, the operations house?"
"No.....I was close enough to him as his personal body guard...there was no need for that"
"hmmm...." I shut my eyes again.

Another memory popped out from nowhere. The Chief had been dying to find the coordinates which was in Mr X's possession so he didn't have it in the house yet when I mentioned the gas, he was the most vocal. fearing a gunshot not so much for his life but for his daughter and his important documents"

And......one more thing, he had asked his son something about 'red letters'. Told him to secure the red letters. That Had been his immediate reaction when he became aware of the gas.

What else happened? Mona came in and we had a tense stand off till she surrendered her weapon. Then the frag grenades had come sailing through the windows.

I opened my eyes.

Bami had switched the interior light on and he was studying me intently. "Did you recall anything?"

I shrugged "We need to pay the chief a visit....and also we need to trace whoever wanted Fome' dead in the secret service, cause I'm sure even if she was arrested she would have been murdered in her cell...."

"its probably the chief....have you forgotten he had a lot of clout, he probably called in a favour with the director or deputy director or any high ranking agent with sufficient clearance For that matter and it was done....and the agent might not even know the person or have any interest"

"Well it is probable, but.....now that I think of it, the Chief wanted Fome' dead, he hired a killer to do the job he wouldn't have done that if he was expecting a more effective strike from the agency."

"Hmm...." Bami said mulling it over.

"Another thing......" I sighed as I remembered this particular memory. "I buried all these muddy business long ago without thinking of it......riding on the hunt for the widows initiative and basking in the euphoria of success, but it was a foolish thing to do, to avoid the past. remember my mechanic, Sule....what was the connection? you brought him to take my car that night and that was the last time I ever saw him until he was killed in the general hospital"

Bami sighed. "whoever ordered Fome's capture and put her in the most wanted list...is behind this...there was the vague idea that your mechanic knew something about Fome's whereabout although when I interviewed him he swore not to know anything about Fome'"

"We need to climb the agency ladder till we get to this man, We'll start with your handler"
I said in a gloomy voice.

"I know where someone higher than my handler runs an intelligence outfit in this lagos, its a law office to the normal eye but it's actually a unit. The agent in charge was the one who filtered the orders down, he would definitely know the source....although I could be wrong but I don't think he acted out on his own....or has the power to put her in a Nation wide most wanted list"

"Well you need to pay him a visit"

"I did that two days ago but no luck at all, I'm seen as a defector, I'm not welcome at the agency."
"Well you'll have to make them welcome you then"
I persisted.
"Its dangerous"
"then go with Andy...."
"How about you?" he asked
asked worriedly
"my daughter is kidnapped for God's sake! I'm heading to Jos first thing in the morning...she needs me, my wife needs me"
"What of the chief?"
he asked again

I shrugged "it depends on the time of the flight, if I can squeeze in time to see him first fine..if not its up to you to make him talk"
"I'll make him sing" Bami said confidently.

"Put Clyde on the phone...how's Olivia doing? any update? Any clue? Any evidence? my God how can Fome do something like this"

"Well she was a tough one, so many times I thought I had her cornered but she always managed to slip away like a bar of soap. And her sister fought like a freaking ninja" Bami said
I remembered the fight in the restaurant. When Bami had engaged Mona in combat or vice versa. The next time I saw him, his eyes were almost swollen shut.
And I remembered the way Fome had shocked me with a stun gun- both literally and figuratively when she thought I was the gateman, she had been soo...cold.
Fome who previously couldn't hurt a fly, who jumped on the chair if she saw a rat. She had been someone else that night.

"How did she manage to drug everyone? How?"
I asked

Bami had no reply to that.

::::::::::::::::::::

Clyde was exactly 6 foot, he worked out 6 times a week apart from sundays as he was a staunch catholic and never missed morning mass. He had a brown belt in karate and was in good physical condition. He considered himself alert and sharp, yet as he moved round the house he wondered how they hadn't heard a thing when they had been parked in front of the neighbour's house. And they hadn't seen a thing too. Although he had fallen asleep but Buzz had been awake and he would have surely buzzed him if he had noticed anything strange.

"Heey Clyde....I found something" Buzz called out from the kitchen.

"I'm coming" he stared at the woman and three children on the bed fast asleep for some seconds. The boys were restless sleepers- a sign of too much play he thought. They had each hand and leg in a different continent so that their mother lay on her side at the very edge of the bed. It didn't look like a comfortable position but still she slept on.

He found Buzz in the kitchen reading a note pinned to the refridgerator. Buzz was about the same height as he but not quite as muscular. But he was tough, a former staff segeant in the Army and deadly with the gun. Any gun be it rifle or a side arm or a sniper even.

"What's that?" Clyde said as he moved closer to get a better view.

He frowned. "we need to call Bami and let them know about this..." he pulled out his phone and studied the note as he redialled the last number in the call log.

Prepare for contact, no cops no friends.
-Miss X

::::::::::::::::

She detached her gun and oiled it, polished it and checked the spring before assembling the weapon back once more. She always did this every time she used the gun and sometimes when she didn't use it.

She watched the baby sleeping on the flat mattress as she cleaned the weapon, replaying the events from earlier and pleased with the way she had handled the bitch Olivia.

Now the real work would begin.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hole In The Wall by Kaycee9242(m): 12:32am On May 14, 2018
Andy just fall my hand, y wud he be thinking with his balls? Dt student played him big time. I really feel for Olivia, it wud av been better if she took d ice cream with d rest so as to avert dis pain she is going tru now after all d dota was still taken at last
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Smhart1(f): 12:43am On May 14, 2018
You finally had me comment on this post after been glued for days (actually started from Delayed Diagnosis). You are a raw talent that needs to be celebrated. You deem it fit not to starve of updates despite we reading for free. This story is Golden.
God bless you
Re: The Hole In The Wall by Oroolorun(m): 6:39am On May 14, 2018
Having people like Rex as friend, brother or lover is like having a death sentence hang on your neck. You never know who they have offended who might see you as a revenge tool.
The story is getting better....
Ride on boss, we are not going anywhere.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (100) (Reply)

Unfulfilled Promises By Audrey Timms / A Man To Call Her Own / SPEECHLESS:A Story By Marianneada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.