Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,713 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel (7144 Views)

Landlord Cancels 2020 Rent For Students Living In His Hostel / Here Is A List Of Top Most Populated Cities In Nigeria / How Tattered A Room In OAU Hostel Is (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 03, 2018
My name is Samuel and i am a student in one of the federal universities in Southwest..This post is just expression of my mind(no offence please)and i am not a religious bigot . I moved into an hostel mostly populated by muslim students in 2016 because a mosque is located in my hostel. Despite the religious difference,we all lived together as one . However, i noticed anytime they are in the mosque, all my fellow hostelites will start bashing christians and saying provocative things about christianity but anytime they come out of the mosque,i will be the first person they will start joking with while i feigned ignorance regarding their utterances in the mosque a. During my first semester examination in June 2016, i did all my night class in school. However during the second semester examination period, they invited me to start doing my night class in the mosque since they do put on generator but i declined at first but later accepted their invitation after much conviction from them. To Be Continued
Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by dollyjoy(f): 6:37pm On Mar 03, 2018
This story isn't necessary. You will only end up exposing how much of a religious bigot you are. You think their ways are weird,they think your ways are ridiculous. That's where understanding and tolerance comes in. Overlook most things and live life. Life isn't too hard you know.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Aminu212: 6:39pm On Mar 03, 2018
Are you xtain or Muslim?
Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 03, 2018
However during 2016/2017 first semester period, a question was asked in the mosque saying "can christians read in the mosque?" but i didn't hear the answer to the question because they switched off the mic while responding to the question. The following morning, a co-hostelite who is a muslim came to meet me that they have resolved that "before anyone can be allowed to read in the mosque,he must perform ablution" but i told them i can't do that because i am a christian and they were the one that invited me to come and be doing nightclass in the first place and not me forcing myself on them. That was how they barred me from reading in the mosque but they were still coming to lend educational materials they can read for the exam from me and i lent them because i didn't want to repay evil with evil. However, i was able to read in my room during the exam period and God helped me greatly when the result came out. I have decided to pack out of the hostel when a new session resumes. The above was my experience

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 03, 2018
dollyjoy:
This story isn't necessary. You will only end up exposing how much of a religious bigot you are. You think their ways are weird,they think your ways are ridiculous. That's where understanding and tolerance comes in. Overlook most things and live life. Life isn't too hard you know.
read the concluding part of my post bro before you judge. and for your info i am not a religious bigot because i have many muslim friends and i have no issue with them

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 03, 2018
Aminu212:
Are you xtain or Muslim?
i am a christian and please do well to read the concluding part of my post.thanks

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 03, 2018
i am not trying to castigate any religion here. please read my post well before you judge
Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 03, 2018
sometimes,some of them will be bashing christianity even while i am beside them and i never reacted but left there quietly. the same people that did that will come and knock my door that i should lend them something or explain academic topics to them and i will do it without any rage of what they have said prior that time. so nobody should label me a bigot

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 7:38pm On Mar 03, 2018
You tried bro.

That's how they behave. They are one sided set of dull terrorists.

Just leave the hostel for them.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by agadez007(m): 7:39pm On Mar 03, 2018
I shine teeth like this grin grin grin whenever Yoruba Internet Warriors start deceiving themselves that there is no religious discrimination in the south west,,I laugh because I know better, I know how the Yoruba Muslims are taught in their mosque to hate infidels

And again the yoruba Muslims are willing tools in the hands of the Fulanis because they want to be seen as true Muslims and they do not mind attacking their fellow yorubas to please their Mohammedian brothers up north

All I can say to the Yoruba Christians is for them to be careful of Yoruba Muslims

32 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by blackfish(m): 7:41pm On Mar 03, 2018
I think The Op has raised very valid point and the action of those students should be condemned by all and sundry

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nutase: 7:45pm On Mar 03, 2018
Op You no get sense??

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 8:03pm On Mar 03, 2018
Nutase:
Op You no get sense??
i don't get you.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nutase: 8:17pm On Mar 03, 2018
matex97:
i don't get you.
wetin carry you go dey read for mosque after you overheard there bashing of Christians? These people can never like you as long as you ain't one of them.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by busky101(m): 8:19pm On Mar 03, 2018
Make Dem no see this post, unless you go leave the hostel without a limb

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 03, 2018
Nutase:
wetin carry you go dey read for mosque after you overheard there bashing of Christians? These people can never like you as long as you ain't one of them.
sigh

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by onlyme07(m): 8:29pm On Mar 03, 2018
My question is,do they perform ablution anytime they want to enter the mosque or just before prayers? The answer will make me talk my mind

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Origin(f): 8:34pm On Mar 03, 2018
@OP. Nice post..... Informative

I wish you could include the type of 'bashing' they discuss

Is it the type where they say Christians are worshipping a man Or that how can Christians say a man is God

Cos that would be expression of opinion.

I feel that same way when I'm on the streets or in a public bus. People shout into gramophones that Muslims are unbelievers because they've not accepted Jesus.

Its just their opinion o.

Just because it differs does not make it bashing.

8 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2018
onlyme07:
My question is,do they perform ablution anytime they want to enter the mosque or just before prayers? The answer will make me talk my mind

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 03, 2018
onlyme07:
it is only when they want to pray they perform ablution and when it is time for nightclass they don't perform it but they want me to perform it bfor i can read

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 03, 2018
Origin:
@OP. Nice post..... Informative

I wish you could include the type of 'bashing' they discuss

Is it the type where they say Christians are worshipping a man Or that how can Christians say a man is God

Cos that would be expression of opinion.

I feel that same way when I'm on the streets or in a public bus. People shout into gramophones that Muslims are unbelievers because they've not accepted Jesus.

Its just their opinion o.

Just because it differs does not make it bashing.
the type and manner in which the bashing is done in and outside the mosque is very provocative. can you imagine someone who you do play together saying "christians are fools for saying in Jesus name " in your presence while you do not always talk bad about their own religion

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by onlyme07(m): 9:14pm On Mar 03, 2018
matex97:
it is only when they want to pray they perform ablution and when it is time for nightclass they don't perform it but they want me to perform it bfor i can read
If that is the case,they (your friends) are hypocrites. Those who invited you're not novice and they should have stand to your defence when the question was asked. I have Muslim has friends even neighbours but they are all friendly and we tag along very well. I recite the rosary anytime I lay my hands on it (Ya allahu, ya ya se).
You have taken the right decision but be good with them as usual
Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by akinyeleaa: 9:42pm On Mar 03, 2018
This post reeks of bigotry. I don't know what you mean by bashing but Christians call Muslims unbelievers too and say a host of other things about us. I'm presently in a school in southwest too where I'm forced by a lecturer to attend daily praise and worship in his office. I dodged once and all hell was let loose, he even threatened to stop me frm going to mosque and a host of other victimizations. I'm sure if it was the other way round, everyone will be shouting Islamization. Christians and Muslims aren't enemies, just differences in believe and that shouldn't be a problem as even Quran guarantees freedom of religion.
And for the records, you are not supposed to enter a mosque as a non-muslim, it's not beef, dats how it is. You can be around or even at the entrance but not inside, so the person who invited you in initially erred.
Forget the sentiments, If you tell me I can't enter church tomorrow, I won't come close, unfortunately I keep getting invites to come sef

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by sbashir10(m): 10:10pm On Mar 03, 2018
I'm schooling in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria which is located in northern part of the country, and of course i am a Muslim, countless of times in our hostel that is predominantly dominated by Muslims, but even with that, Christians docile with us without any problem and also they came around to preach words of gospel to us, Muslims, and it's a matter of choice if you want to listen or not.

Never for once have i heard people insulting them openly or publicly, although i cannot say maybe insult is been done secretly, but the point is that, it depends on how you choose to see it, i can also play a victim card, to say i am been abused anytime Jehovah witness people comes around my room to disturb my sleep, in the name of trying to preach to me.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 03, 2018
but do you know the same mosque i usually enter before i was barred,there is a publication pasted on the wall which reads "reasons why christians are allowed to enter the mosque". for your info i wasn't weighed down at all because of this development. chill bro

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Abdulmalik052(m): 10:22pm On Mar 03, 2018
[quote author=agadez007 post=65533458] I shine teeth like this grin grin grin whenever Yoruba Internet Warriors start deceiving themselves that there is no religious discrimination in the south west,,I laugh because I know better, I know how the Yoruba Muslims are taught in their mosque to hate infidels

And again the yoruba Muslims are willing tools to the Fulanis because they want to be seen as true Muslims and they do not mind attacking their fellow yorubas to please their Mohammedian brothers up north

All I can say to the Yoruba Christians is for them to be careful of Yoruba Muslims

[What do you even know about the religion of Islam. Islam teaches peace and love,so I do not know what you mean by 'yoruba muslims are taught to hate or smtn' . You do not know anything abt the religion of Islam and NEVER judge a religion by d ppl who practice it!]

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 03, 2018
sbashir10:
I'm schooling in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria which is located in northern part of the country, and of course i am a Muslim, countless of times in our hostel that is predominantly dominated by Muslims, but even with that, Christians docile with us without any problem and also they came around to preach words of gospel to us, Muslims, and it's a matter of choice if you want to listen or not.

Never for once have i heard people insulting them openly or publicly, although i cannot say maybe insult is been done secretly, but the point is that, it depends on how you choose to see it, i can also play a victim card, to say i am been abused anytime Jehovah witness people comes around my room to disturb my sleep, in the name of trying to preach to me.
i am not playing the victim's card here rather i am just revealing how people repay me badly for my kind gesture due to religious difference

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by YhungPablo(m): 11:19pm On Mar 03, 2018
I will read the post when it get to front page..
Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Nobody: 11:24pm On Mar 03, 2018
Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by kellyJames5(m): 11:42pm On Mar 03, 2018
akinyeleaa:
This post reeks of bigotry. I don't know what you mean by bashing but Christians call Muslims unbelievers too and say a host of other things about us. I'm presently in a school in southwest too where I'm forced by a lecturer to attend daily praise and worship in his office. I dodged once and all hell was let loose, he even threatened to stop me frm going to mosque and a host of other victimizations. I'm sure if it was the other way round, everyone will be shouting Islamization. Christians and Muslims aren't enemies, just differences in believe and that shouldn't be a problem as even Quran guarantees freedom of religion.
And for the records, you are not supposed to enter a mosque as a non-muslim, it's not beef, dats how it is. You can be around or even at the entrance but not inside, so the person who invited you in initially erred.
Forget the sentiments, If you tell me I can't enter church tomorrow, I won't come close, unfortunately I keep getting invites to come sef

Talk true..

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by Amastermovic(m): 11:44pm On Mar 03, 2018
bro..even in isreal when xtian wants to visit some site they perform ablution is a simple rule.. u can't use slippers in both c&s and celestial inside the main church do u understand.. Christian in my hostel Bach Muslim so do Muslim also.. and Christian do d bashing much.. so no excuse abt d books u r giving out u can keep doing that and am sure one way or the other u will all benefit from each other

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/israel/jerusalem-dome-of-the-rock

A 2010 thread here. https://www.nairaland.com/548904/question-nigerian-christians-why-go

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Living In A Muslim-populated Hostel by babtoundey(m): 11:55pm On Mar 03, 2018
This is also the altitude of most Christians. You don't expect them to teach trinity and welcome or appraise claims that are against their doctrine. As long as you don't belong to certain faith you may by all means find its teachings offensive.

It is not peculiar to one religion. Some Christian on this forum wear their religion as pride and use it as arrow by disparaging and assaulting the sensibility of others that don't share their belief. One of them even just exposed his religious bigotry and hatred for the Muslims by way of his comment.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Waec Syllabus Needed / Judge For Yourself Between Yobe University And Lead City University. / Its Brisket Bone Not Biscuit Bone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.