Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? (10915 Views)

Freethinkers, Do You Believe In The Significance Of Dreams? / Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by TheLastDon1(m): 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2018
rinrin23:
This is a question that I'd like to pose to those nairalanders on a quest to enlightenment, those in search of the truth of our existence and purpose on earth, those who have and hold views contrary to popular belief.
Do you ever feel lonely?

I have come a long way in my quest for enlightenment and yet I know that I have only just scratched the surface. Four years ago I asked a few questions that lead me away from my religious beliefs, and "down the rabbit hole".

This is a journey that completely changed my life, exposed the weaknesses in the core of my reasoning and belief system. I have since gone from "Christian" to "Atheist" and to being in complete and utter awe of this great mystery that we live in. I always say that "I am searching " and this has opened my mind greatly to infinite possibilities. Sometimes I look back at my previous posts and comments on this platform and laugh at how far I've come.

What I have found is that regardless of the bond and connection I form with anyone else, there's a huge gaping void of loneliness I feel when I can't share my journey with them. I'll quote Carl Jung when he says "As a child I felt myself to be alone, and I am still because I know things and must hint at things that others know nothing of and for the most part do not want to know. Loneliness does not come from having no one about, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself or from holding views which others find inadmissible ".

I don't always feel this way, but every now and then I look at the person I want to spend the rest of my life with and I feel a twinge of that deep seated loneliness. Does he know that I am searching? Yes. Does he understand what that truely means? No. Would I ever be able to share this incredible yet intimate part of my existence with him? I fear tremendously, No. Would I always have to tiptoe around these things, twist words so that I am understood, deflect questions he asks cos he might never understand? I fear tremendously, Yes.

It's been an emotional night for me as I contemplate these things. I'd like to know if anyone else is in my shoes, how do you handle it?

You are not alone dear..I have also contemplated the meaning of existence and the place of God in the life of man. I have come to believe that nobody has the right answer to this question.

Greater men before us have contemplated these questions without any conclusive result.

I have felt the loneliness you speak of. The Isolation can be crippling.

Nigeria is a very religious country.But Religion practised by most of us is a substitute for culture.
I have grown in my understanding of our human condition. Not everybody is a thinker, just like not everybody has musical talent or a lawyers acumen or a great painter's eye.
Life is extremely complicated and the burden of knowledge makes life weary.
The concept of God is a useful and approximate way to live a life beneficial to oneself and neighbours without the burden of Understanding.
Life need not be understood to be lived and enjoyed fully.
This scheme of things is an inheritance from our wise ancestors.
If you are blessed with the gift of logical thought, think away, but do not be condescending to those who you perceive as ignorant of the truth.They might just have it better than you. They might be engrossed in enjoying the music of life without understanding it.

It is not those who understand a thing creatively that attain maximum utility from it , but they who use it as it is.

Incessant logical thought is a burden and not everybody is cursed with it.

This is my current perspective on religion, it might change with maturity and understanding.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by johnydon22(m): 4:15pm On Mar 06, 2018
tintingz:
I think it is about the society, an average Nigerian don't even know what atheism means, they don't know "atheism/atheist" exist but in western countries they know well what atheism means, that's why the mother is more concern about her daughter being an atheist than her not believing in God.

Athiesm as been associated with many things, I think that's what Dawkins is taking advantage of in a debate.

Well true that. I first learnt their are people who don't believe in God as a JSS1 minor in the seminary. And i agree it was a lot for me to take in back then.

I hardly believed that was true grin grin
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflyl1on: 4:23pm On Mar 06, 2018
TheLastDon1:

You are not alone dear..I have also contemplated the meaning of existence and the place of God in the life of man. I have come to believe that nobody has the right answer to this question.

Greater men before us have contemplated these questions without any conclusive result.

Nigeria is a very religious country.But Religion practised by most of us is a substitute for culture.
I have grown in my understanding of our human condition. Not everybody is a thinker, just like not everybody has musical talent or a lawyers acumen or a great painter's eye.
The concept of God is a useful and approximate way to live a life beneficial to oneself and neighbours without the burden of Understanding.
If you are blessed with the gift of logical thought, think away, but do not be condescending to those who you perceive as ignorant of the truth.They might just have it better than you. They might be engrossed in enjoying the music of life without understanding it.

It is not those who understand a thing creatively that attain maximum utility from it , but they who use it as it is.

This is my current perspective on religion, it might change with maturity and understanding.

So do you think there is extreme wisdom in walking in the knowledge of God?

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by superhumanist(m): 4:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflyl1on:

A church is a fellowship of people with like minds not necessarily for worship. You are the one who is ignorant.

Lol....what is the main point of going to church if not to worship God? Intelligence is lacking mennnn.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by TheLastDon1(m): 4:29pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Freethinking is a gamblers approach to personal enlightenment. They have no foundations. Just personal opinions (logic, reason, and empiricism) which on it's own can be hugely flawed as logic, reason and Co are not universally acceptable to all but self imposed.

So is Religion. Do false/fabricated foundtions count?

2 Likes

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Butterflyl10n: 4:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
TheLastDon1:

So is Religion. Do false/fabricated foundtions count?

Where are the false/ fabricated foundations? There is no gambling with that which I tested and proven and now walk with. Note, I am not referring to religion. I am referring to A LIFE in Christ.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by tintingz(m): 5:42pm On Mar 06, 2018
johnydon22:

Well true that. I first learnt their are people who don't believe in God as a JSS1 minor in the seminary. And i agree it was a lot for me to take in back then.

I hardly believed that was true grin grin
Lol, your own was JSS1, Nairaland made me know there are people that don't believe in God, it really disturbed me then. cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by ScienceWatch: 6:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Logic is an endless loop and not a conclussion.
Reasoning is individualised so not definite.
Senses are limited so not trustworthy

So these are obviously lacking. You are yet to answer my question.
You doing well. This guy will teach you things you know nothing about. If you know what I mean.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by rinrin23(f): 6:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
TheLastDon1:

I like the way you think, and how you are able to see things from different vantage points. Far from being condescending though, because I've come to see that wisdom sometimes lies in what at first glance we'd think is the smallest of minds or irrational thought/belief.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by superhumanist(m): 8:10pm On Mar 06, 2018
The derailers have arrived! grin

It will never be well with butterflyl1on and sciencewatch. May you forever derail.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 8:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
tintingz:
Richard Dawkins in a debate said he doesn't like lebel, he prefer to be called non-theist, but he later decided to be lebel as an atheist because he want to create that seriousness in mind of his opponent.

He cited an example from a movie where a girl said to her mother she is an atheist and doesn't believe in God and the mother responded "you don't believe in God I don't mind you might be joking but an atheist, an atheist?!"

Yeah, I get that reasoning.
Still I think that allowing oneself to grow in such manner that is devoid of labels really helps. It helps me function better around people.

If I see my self as not belonging to any label, which I honestly do...then I am not bound by any unseen or unspoken law that binds them.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 8:51pm On Mar 06, 2018
Holyfield1:
What's your belief then?

Hehehehehehehe

I don't really know.

Lol.

I just live and let live.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 8:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You mean the same people whom you say they should be true to themselves and live their own truths are now the same people who would know as you do without knowing how you arrived at your own KNOWING?

like seriously?

It would seem to me that you have a shallow idea of what it means to be true to one's self.

It is not my own knowing. It is a knowing. It therefore implies that experiencing this knowing isn't an exclusive preserve of mine.
Like I said earlier, those who are meant to know will know just as I know, and even better than i now know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 8:59pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflyl1on:

This does not explain nor come close to what I said.
You said Everyone should be true to themselves and live their truth. So how then can anyone even know what it is to be true to themselves about and what truth to live by if they are FREE to live as they please?

Have you considered the ripple effect of your statement and the actions attached to it?

If everyone was free to live as they please who then would be able to say anything is right or anything is wrong after all, everyone is living according to THEIR INDIVIDUAL TRUTHS.

Would this world then be better or worse?

Let me quote from the bible.
You are quite familiar with that.

There is a spirit in man, and the inspiration of the Almighty gives him understanding...then I add, of what is right, and what is wrong, of what to do, and what not to do.

In discipline lies true freedom.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 9:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
MizMyColi:

It would seem to me that you have a shallow idea of what it means to be true to one's self.

It is not my own knowing. It is a knowing. It therefore implies that experiencing this knowing isn't an exclusive preserve of mine.
Like I said earlier, those who are meant to know will know just as I know, and even better than i now know.

" Just as you know" is a fallacy because they do not know how you arrived at your knowing. If they did, then they would know "just" as you know.

How did you arrive at your knowing?
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 06, 2018
tintingz:
Lol, your own was JSS1, Nairaland made me know there are people that don't believe in God, it really disturbed me then. cheesy cheesy grin

when I realized some people don't believe in a God iy didn't shock me. what shocked was what they think and say about my version of God. cheesy
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 9:04pm On Mar 06, 2018
MizMyColi:

Let me quote from the bible.
You are quite familiar with that.

There is a spirit in man, and the inspiration of the Almighty gives him understanding...then I add, of what is right, and what is wrong, of what to do, and what not to do.

In discipline lies true freedom.

Yes there is a spirit in man and only when it is aligned and submitted to the almighty that understanding can come from the almighty. However we all know that there are people who refuse to submit to the almighty.

Did you submit to the almighty? Has your spirit aligned with His?
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 9:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflylion:

Yes there is a spirit in man and only when it is aligned and submitted to the almighty that understanding can come from the almighty. However we all know that there are people who refuse to submit to the almighty.

I am not under any obligation to reply directly to this question.

Next please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 9:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflylion:

" Just as you know" is a fallacy because they do not know how you arrived at your knowing. If they did, then they would know "just" as you know.

How did you arrive at your knowing?

Those who will know as I know won't ask me How.

If they do, I would have an answer ready for them.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by tintingz(m): 9:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

when I realized some people don't believe in a God iy didn't shock me. what shocked was what they think and say about my version of God. cheesy
Lol, I think many religious people are atheistic or skeptic when it comes to believing in other religious Gods but they are not being honest to themselves or they are simply brainwashed in believing their God is the only true God.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by tintingz(m): 9:48pm On Mar 06, 2018
MizMyColi:

Yeah, I get that reasoning.
Still I think that allowing oneself to grow in such manner that is devoid of labels really helps. It helps me function better around people.

If I see my self as not belonging to any label, which I honestly do...then I am not bound by any unseen or unspoken law that binds them.
I agree with this.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by bloodofthelamb(m): 9:58pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflylion:

Hehehe! Bro you are really a nightmare to this guys who think they know but yet knows only what their optical and limited eyes can see.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Hehehe! Bro you are really a nightmare to this guys who think they know but yet knows only what their optical and limited eyes can see.
story for the gods cheesy
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 10:25pm On Mar 06, 2018
MizMyColi:

I am not under any obligation to reply directly to this question.

Next please.

Oh yes you are under an obligation to respond directly to it. You quoted from the scriptures to try and pass your point and I also referred directly to the scripture you quoted from.

Did you submit to the almighty via your spirit? Is your spirit aligned with His own?

If you did and it is then be bold to declare it or are you ashamed to declare the truth?
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 10:26pm On Mar 06, 2018
MizMyColi:

Those who will know as I know won't ask me How.

If they do, I would have an answer ready for them.

Well I am among those who "will" to know as you know so may I have your ready answer for me?
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 10:28pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflylion:

Well I am among those who "will" to know as you know so may I have your ready answer for me?

I do not believe you are in the interim.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 10:34pm On Mar 06, 2018
MizMyColi:

I do not believe you are in the interim.

Is the information you have to share tagged "classified "?

Is it of the occult? Is it ritualistic? If you are bold and sure you have the truth why hoard it and why hide it from those who ask?

Darkness can never take on any shade of light you know?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 11:30pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflylion:

Is the information you have to share tagged "classified "?

Is it of the occult? Is it ritualistic? If you are bold and sure you have the truth why hoard it and why hide it from those who ask?

Even Jesus agreed that not every information is meant for every audience.

Darkness can never take on any shade of light you know?

Yes. Same goes for light.
Except of course you imply darkness as something bad, or one to be abhorred.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 11:35pm On Mar 06, 2018
[quote author=MizMyColi post=65623507][/quote]

Jesus when he said so meant for those who are yet to believe in him. You on the other hand are being asked a direct question from me.

Has your spirit submitted to him? Has it aligned with that of God? This is the 3rd time I am asking this and you still find it hard to say a simple yes or no.

Metaphorically speaking "darkness" did not mean the kind of day and night you know. But meant all things bad and evil.

"a sweet and bitter water cannot come from the same source"

"light and darkness cannot come from the same source" one has to stop for the other to appear.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 11:47pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflylion:

Jesus when he said so meant for those who are yet to believe in him. You on the other hand are being asked a direct question from me.

Has your spirit submitted to him? Has it aligned with that of God? This is the 3rd time I am asking this and you still find it hard to say a simple yes or no.

Metaphorically speaking "darkness" did not mean the kind of day and night you know. But meant all things bad and evil.

"a sweet and bitter water cannot come from the same source"

"light and darkness cannot come from the same source" one has to stop for the other to appear.

No comment then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bishop David Oyedepo Launches 24/7 Live Online Radio Station / Christianity, Islam, African Traditional Religion, Which Is More Tolerant? / How Can I Download A Free Bible To My Phone Asha 200

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.