Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,892 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? (10887 Views)

Freethinkers, Do You Believe In The Significance Of Dreams? / Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 12:17am On Mar 07, 2018
MizMyColi:

No comment then.

Means you were being deceptive all along cheesy

You are obviously not of the light and no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. Nothing new here.

Those who have the truth and the light of the truth are never afraid to declare it anywhere but you could not declare it because you would be exposed but you never knew that you still exposed yourself by deliberately dodging it.

1 John 1:6

If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;

That scripture says you do not practice truth.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 12:56am On Mar 07, 2018
[quote author=butterflylion post=65624283]

I do not wish to share with you, and as such I am deceptive?

Touche!

You are obviously not of the light and no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. Nothing new here.

Okay.

Those who have the truth and the light of the truth are never afraid to declare it anywhere but you could not declare it because you would be exposed but you never knew that you still exposed yourself by deliberately dodging it.

Afraid?
Lol

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Including your scripture.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 1:12am On Mar 07, 2018
[quote author=MizMyColi post=65624616][/quote]

Yes you are being clearly deceptive.

That scripture declares the truth. You forget that you also posted a scripture at me in defence of your position and now when one is returned at you, you call it an opinion? grin cheesy

Yet the one you posted earlier was not an opinion when you posted it.

Indeed the devil wears you like a robe.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 1:58am On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

Yes you are being clearly deceptive.

That scripture declares the truth. You forget that you also posted a scripture at me in defence of your position and now when one is returned at you, you call it an opinion? grin cheesy

Yet the one you posted earlier was not an opinion when you posted it.

Indeed the devil wears you like a robe.

I actually used the scripture because your antecedents shows you are quite apt at using it.
I am that diplomatic.

Really?
Well, again, that's your opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 2:02am On Mar 07, 2018
MizMyColi:

I actually used the scripture because your antecedents shows you are quite apt at using it.
I am that diplomatic.

Really?
Well, again, that's your opinion.

Diplomacy is not what was demanded for. Truth is all there is. Truth does not engage in diplomacy. It simply IS!

Whats your truth?
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 3:22am On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

Diplomacy is not what was demanded for. Truth is all there is. Truth does not engage in diplomacy. It simply IS!

Whats your truth?

I do not wish to share with you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 5:58am On Mar 07, 2018
MizMyColi:

I do not wish to share with you.

Of course you don't. You have no truth that's why. wink
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 7:47am On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

Of course you don't. You have no truth that's why. wink

Okay.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by rinrin23(f): 9:07am On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

*sigh!

Although we share fundamentally different views, I enjoyed reading your posts when you first came on this thread. I liked the way your mind broke things down and intertwined them. I was impressed.

However you had to degenerate this into calling names and throwing "Satan " and "devil " around.
This further buttresses my initial post. This is why people stay mute with their divergent opinions. Your emotional attachment to your beliefs is all too evident.

Frankly from looking at the way your mind works, I truly think you will learn much more about "God" if you let yourself. I have been emotionally attached to my beliefs in the past. I have been an arrogant Christian and an even bigger arrogant Atheist. When I stopped being arrogant, the universe opened to me and lessons poured in.

Well we are each on our own journeys, to arrive is to be dead to knowledge in an ever changing and ever discovering world.

@MizMyColi I wish there was a fist bump emoji on here

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MizMyColi(f): 9:24am On Mar 07, 2018
rinrin23:

*sigh!

Although we share fundamentally different views, I enjoyed reading your posts when you first came on this thread. I liked the way your mind broke things down and intertwined them. I was impressed.

However you had to degenerate this into calling names and throwing "Satan " and "devil " around.
This further buttresses my initial post. This is why people stay mute with their divergent opinions. Your emotional attachment to your beliefs is all too evident.

Frankly from looking at the way your mind works, I truly think you will learn much more about "God" if you let yourself. I have been emotionally attached to my beliefs in the past. I have been an arrogant Christian and an even bigger arrogant Atheist. When I stopped being arrogant, the universe opened to me and lessons poured in.

Well we are each on our own journeys, to arrive is to be dead to knowledge in an ever changing and ever discovering world.

Fist bumps right back at you.

Lol
Just what i didn't feel like telling him.

Best to cane my lane.

It's Sarassin that has his medicine in full dosal quantitiesgrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Seun(m): 9:32am On Mar 07, 2018
This thread is about being lonely as an atheist. Back away if you are not addressing the topic.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 07, 2018
Yes I do because I hardly have anyone IRL to talk about stuff like that with that cares to listen. Also, even though I've been explained to, logically, why I shouldn't, I seem to be too preoccupied with death. That was one of the reasons I became a 'freethinker' in the first place. I don't know why, but I feel detached from life/reality far too often.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by obiZEAL(m): 10:37am On Mar 07, 2018
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by obiZEAL(m): 11:29am On Mar 07, 2018
Seun:
This thread is about being lonely as an atheist. Back way if you are not addressing the topic.
No, I don't agree with this.
We have atheist and Muslims on Christian threads bashing and taunting their faith so why should this thread be exclusive to atheist?

Also, I think one of the biggest injustice on Nairaland is having to swear to believe in Muhammad before airing your view on a thread in a public forum.

You should address that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by TheLastDon1(m): 1:46pm On Mar 07, 2018
butterflyl1on:

So do you think there is extreme wisdom in walking in the knowledge of God?

Yes I think there is..but I dont think it is all or none..do or die..heaven or hell...God or a purposeless life

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Mar 07, 2018
obiZEAL:
I don't think the ratio part is true...I have never seen a female atheist offline, I go out to functions searching for one, just one to be friends with. Five years of being a closet atheist and the only female atheists I know are online.
He said male to female ratio is high lol. That is, the number of males compared to females is higher.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by obiZEAL(m): 3:36pm On Mar 07, 2018
AnonyNymous:

He said male to female ratio is high lol. That is, the number of males compared to females is higher.
....I misinterpreted that. Thanks.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by budaatum: 5:39pm On Mar 07, 2018
superhumanist:

Lol....what is the main point of going to church if not to worship God? Intelligence is lacking mennnn.
One can go to church to see what they do there. To understand what is said there and to acquire knowledge about what people worship there. That's why I went, and to see if what is done there is catching.

What I found though, was different to what they read, say, and by most, even believe, and that, it was not catching me.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by budaatum: 5:50pm On Mar 07, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Freethinking is a gamblers approach to personal enlightenment. They have no foundations. Just personal opinions (logic, reason, and empiricism) which on it's own can be hugely flawed as logic, reason and Co are not universally acceptable to all but self imposed.
Yet, no human operates without "logic, reason, and empiricism". Even one's religion is based on these things, or would you claim they do not underpin your belief, though, flawed?

Most people ask if their thoughts, and beliefs, are logical, rational, and if they are based on empirical evidence. Those who don't are the sort who would cross the road without checking they would not get run down by their unfounded belief that the car approaching is not approaching or that some spirit would make sure they don't get run over by it. Stupid, dead, or soon to die people, basically.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by budaatum: 6:05pm On Mar 07, 2018
Martinez19:
lucky you bro. At least you started early but I started at 20 as an atheist. Wasted my teenage years reading and memorising the bible, couldn't date my dream girl because of church doctrines and being too spiritual. If only I had sat down earlier to think. All I needed was to sit down and think. It is well bro, seeing the world as it is and knowing the truth brings freedom.
It's sad that people have to be put through what you were put through. It's like being convinced that father Christmas really exists, except one soon finds out the grownups don't believe in such stuff and one grows out of such beliefs.

I used to go to Church as a child, as it was the only reason I could get out the house on a Sunday. There was once this beautiful woman from Four Square Gospel Church who used to come and get us kids in the neighbourhood, and there'd be about a thousand of us worshipping in a huge hall. They would ask us to pray for our parents, because "they are going to hell", and lots of kids will be crying their little hearts out, "O Lord Jesus, save my mummy and daddy. Don't let them burn in hell". I used to just look at them thinking, "Whao, they must have really bad parents! My nice parents are not going to any hell".

Now that I think of it, quite a lot of the believers on here fear that hell, which in my opinion, is some imaginary place cooked up by some to control others. I'm just glad that I always spent the 20 kobo my parents gave me for offerings, on sweets, and dundu, and kulikuli!

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 6:06pm On Mar 07, 2018
rinrin23:

*sigh!

Sorry if you think I "degenerated" but to me i did not.

I am the kind of person who sees a beautiful rose yet will still mention the thorns. I am the kind of person who calls a spade by its name regardless of what you or anyone else might think.

I am open to being criticised or having my life as a Christian criticised because I am not hiding the truth unlike some here.

What is hard about opening up about your ideologies and how you arrived at them "if" you strongly believed it to be true and a right approach.

Such a person should be bold to stand on a mountain top and shout it out loud with no apologies to anyone.

From my perspective I see Satan in the details. Something you perhaps have become blind to now that you have found excuses/reasons to chalk him away with. I on the other hand am still kicking and seeing clearly enough to say it as it is.

If you do not like it then sorry about that (as a courtesy) and not as an apology.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by budaatum: 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2018
butterflyl1on:

1) What is truth!
Truth, as in the floor exists, and I will not fall into a void if I take steps on it?

Experience, basically, or what you call empiricism, and logic.

butterflyl1on:

2) How do you know that the world you are seeing is actually how it is?
Experience, basically, and reason. It pretty soon shows me if my assumptions are incorrect. And if they are, I better adjust my assumptions, or I would not get very far at all.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by budaatum: 6:23pm On Mar 07, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Value is everything! How valuable and weighty are these views you hold and how far reaching are they?
And if you mean, valuing people, regardless of their beliefs, I will agree. It's why I find people, on the whole, amusing.

I once had a Jehova Witness, a friend of my mum, ask me if I Believed. I said I didn't, and he refused to talk to me for months. He was in his 90s and eventually was placed in a home and ma and I used to visit him every week. He got so touched one day and said, "You may say you don't believe, but deep down God belief is in you". I guess he just couldn't understand that one could be kind without a belief in God making one so. Says something about him, in my book.

That reminds me of my darling SC. How he finds himself loving that atheist buda so much must trouble him!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Martinez19(m): 6:35pm On Mar 07, 2018
budaatum:

It's sad that people have to be put through what you were put through. It's like being convinced that father Christmas really exists, except one soon finds out the grownups don't believe in such stuff and one grows out of such beliefs.

I used to go to Church as a child, as it was the only reason I could get out the house on a Sunday. There was once this beautiful woman from Four Square Gospel Church who used to come and get us kids in the neighbourhood, and there'd be about a thousand of us worshipping in a huge hall. They would ask us to pray for our parents, because "they are going to hell", and lots of kids will be crying their little hearts out, "O Lord Jesus, save my mummy and daddy. Don't let them burn in hell". I used to just look at them thinking, "Whao, they must have really bad parents! My nice parents are not going to any hell".

Now that I think of it, quite a lot of the believers on here fear that hell, which in my opinion, is some imaginary place cooked up by some to control others.I'm just glad that I always spent the 20 kobo my parents gave me for offerings, on sweets, and dundu, and kulikuli!
grin it seems you were very sensible right from time.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by budaatum: 7:08pm On Mar 07, 2018
Martinez19:
grin it seems you were very sensible right from time.
I was lucky. Neither of my parents had much time for religion when I was a child. Ma was a nurse so relied much on evidence, and pa was a lawyer and would lawyer you to death. One dared not make a claim one could not justify. "Dad, please give me money to buy a book", and all you'd get was, "Why?' And you'd better come up with much better than, "Because you wouldn't want your child to be stupid', or else, "Why?"

It was tedious at the time, but I'm glad for it now.

3 Likes

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by MuttleyLaff: 7:39pm On Mar 07, 2018
Seun:
This thread is about being lonely as an atheist.
Back way if you are not addressing the topic.
You are wrong my dear sir because the thread never at all, specified being lonely, as an atheist
rather it is titled:
Freethinkers - Do You Ever Feel Lonely.

I immediately related to the thread, the second, the thread was published,
because I can identify with a freethinker.

I meditate and ask questions to a void
or ask and when I get an epiphany, back off.

People, get to be lone, sometimes by choice, due to circumstances, can be deliberate & planned

Such lone rangers or one man MOPOLs,
end up, not just only keeping to themselves
but also keep a lot to themselves too,
especially when they sense that others don't understand
or aren't on the same page or coach, as they are.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Martinez19(m): 7:59pm On Mar 07, 2018
budaatum:

I was lucky. Neither of my parents had much time for religion when I was a child. Ma was a nurse so relied much on evidence, and pa was a lawyer and would lawyer you to death. One dared not make a claim one could not justify. "Dad, please give me money to buy a book", and all you'd get was, "Why?' And you'd better come up with much better than, "Because you wouldn't want your child to be stupid', or else, "Why?"

It was tedious at the time, but I'm glad for it now.
nice.
Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by Letzdothething: 8:12pm On Mar 07, 2018
rinrin23:

Lol. Hi MizMyColi, glad you could drop in.

In the past I have spoken my truth freely, but what I notice is people getting defensive. I understand that people are emotionally attached to their beliefs and tend to feel judged or insulted by anyone who poses a different view (even when not trying to impose it on anyone). It is because of this that I keep my views to myself so as not to step on toes. However the thought of doing this "forever" is terrifying, especially when you consider bringing children into the mix.

On every other aspect, I have never been more "compatible" with anyone as much as I am with him. I agree with the emboldened, I think that is very key.
you are not alone.

I have gone past this years ago. In fact, it almost made me run mad. But I tell you today, my parents are the only ones I cannot allow know about this. I even go to church every sunday and listen to the word of God. No harm, I get some wise lessons there too.

But let me tell you, when I almost ran mad against god I realized I could not win the battle. A battle of the foolish and the wise. Why do i have to fight what is not fighting me? Then I stopped fighting an unknown being now I stand in between.

Extremes are bad. Never try to bring your kids in the way of extreme atheism, it causes as much harm as extreme religiousness. In life there should be balance in every aspect.

You are not alone, tell that to the man you want to get married to, if he is truely a wise man he will not rebuke you.

Adios

2 Likes

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by superhumanist(m): 8:58pm On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

Sorry if you think I "degenerated" but to me i did not.

I am the kind of person who sees a beautiful rose yet will still mention the thorns. I am the kind of person who calls a spade by its name regardless of what you or anyone else might think.

I am open to being criticised or having my life as a Christian criticised because I am not hiding the truth unlike some here.

What is hard about opening up about your ideologies and how you arrived at them "if" you strongly believed it to be true and a right approach.

Such a person should be bold to stand on a mountain top and shout it out loud with no apologies to anyone.

From my perspective I see Satan in the details. Something you perhaps have become blind to now that you have found excuses/reasons to chalk him away with. I on the other hand am still kicking and seeing clearly enough to say it as it is.

If you do not like it then sorry about that (as a courtesy) and not as an apology.

See hypocrisy. Please go to Saudi Arabia and proclaim your Christianity or better, go to china

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 8:59pm On Mar 07, 2018
superhumanist:

See hypocrisy. Please go to Saudi Arabia and proclaim your Christianity or better, go to china

Already being done. Or you think there are no Christians in China or Saudi Arabia? cheesy

We are not like atheists who hide behind online forums to make noise. We back our talk up with action.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by superhumanist(m): 9:04pm On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

Already being done. Or you think there are no Christians in China or Saudi Arabia? cheesy

We are not like atheists who hide behind online forums to make noise. We back our talk up with action.

There are Christians in Saudi and China. They are very reserved.

Out of ignorance, you keep running your mouth. You have no idea what it means to be a minority with beliefs that can get you killed.

So, go to Saudi or China, then let's see how open you are on your Christian beliefs.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? by butterflylion: 9:07pm On Mar 07, 2018
superhumanist:

There are Christians in Saudi and China. They are very reserved.

Out of ignorance, you keep running your mouth. You have no idea what it means to be a minority with beliefs that can get you killed.

So, go to Saudi or China, then let's see how open you are on your Christian beliefs.

Now it's they are minority grin

I thought you assumed they were none and asked me to go there.

Those who are there are preaching and winning new converts. In Saudi Arabia the population has grown to almost 3 million with some coded.

In China it's on record that the christian population is rapidly spreading and China is close to experiencing the biggest boom in Christianity for a long time in that country. And this is projected to happen by 2030.

The so called minority are making a huge change. cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

OPM Admits Boy Who Was Learning Mechanic Into Its Free School / 10 Good Reasons Why You Should Go To Church / Crazy Things That Religious People Believe - Add Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.