Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? (22599 Views)

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? / Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by LaudableXX: 11:40pm On Mar 04, 2018
Innobee99:
Pls i need a candid advise on how to deal with this situation at my work place.
I got this job August Last year after waiting for years after my NYSC. There is something going on here which is strictly against my believe and practice.
Some senior staff will come with receipts for me to sign. Receipts on goods and services that has not even taken place so that they can forward it to the headquarter for approval. How do i tell them its against my believe cuz i always feel that guilt after signing .
I need advise on how to go about it without offending anyone and without affecting my job.

Guy, aren't there procedures, documented guidelines and rules in your organisation, to cover such processes? shocked Refer them back to the rules, or respectfully ask them to submit proof that such goods and services have been delivered, before you sign. sad If you append your signatures to such invoices, without proof of delivery or evidence that the job has been executed, you are the one that would end up behind bars! Also speak to the Head of Finance or Chief Accountant in your organisation about your concerns, and ask him for advice!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by LaudableXX: 11:43pm On Mar 04, 2018
Innobee99:
Not my job

Receipts are meant to be signed from where u buy goods nah
Don't be funny. angry It shows you do not even know the job you were recruited to do. Where is the evidence that the jobs and services you are signing off, were actually carried out? Where is the confirmation? Are you merely a rubber stamp?

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Alariiwo: 11:45pm On Mar 04, 2018
The best thing for you is to resign and look for job elsewhere, but trust me you'll still meet something like that anywhere you go.

Your only offence here is conscience which most Nigerians lack. May God help you take the right step.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Hotzone(m): 11:49pm On Mar 04, 2018
Your story weak me, how can u sign document or memo if u are a junior staff?
But my advise as an investigator is that u make a diligent observation concerning the amount involved, if it worth the risk, u can either negotiate, withdraw or report them silently to EFCC!!!!
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by jaxxy(m): 12:02am On Mar 05, 2018
Innobee99:
I always think about how my actions today can affect me tomorrow

If its not ur job or duty to verify the goods or services done b4 signing then shut up and drive(i mean sign) bt if its ur duty to ensure such notify any other superior in ur office so atleast they are aware ure not part of it or they advise u further. U can't just report to the head office without knowing the implications of ur actions thereafter.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by digitsolution: 12:32am On Mar 05, 2018
TMemos:
Generally,

Generally, you should be more concerned about your integrity than the loss of job and subsequent prosecution which may lead to conviction.

But before I can give you a specific advice, you need to shed more light on the following:

Is it a private sector company or a government establishment?

How many people come to you for signature? You only said some senior people. Is your direct boss/supervisor one of them?

Has your appointment been confirmed? What's the confirmation period and procedure?

What's the frequency of signing?

Is there any part of your job description which says you should sign such?

You have said it all. may we be wise. what is bad is bad and what is good is good. life is either black or white. if you know something is bad you don't manage because trust me it will eventually catch up no matter of smart you try to cover it up there will always be a blindspot.
when you do something good the feeling is priceless aside from its cosmic rewards. that feeling of peace being able to sleep every night without worries. Total and good overall well-being of a Man.

its a delicate matter requiring delicate measures. May we be wise.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Nobody: 12:41am On Mar 05, 2018
BlueScholar:
If they have the power to sack you or you're directly under them, then keep your mouth shut.
is not like you're sharing the money, plus God knows if you have the power to stop it you will. so until you have gotten a better job or way to stop it without getting fired you should keep quiet

I agree.

We have a saying in Yoruba, "Until he has control of the Matchette, one never asks what killed his Dad".

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Nobody: 12:41am On Mar 05, 2018
raystar96:
Are u naturally rude or am I missing something.. shut ur mouth too,if u don't have any reasonable comment.#Mr_perfect

You are missing something.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Tinyemeka(m): 12:42am On Mar 05, 2018
BlueScholar:
If they have the power to sack you or you're directly under them, then keep your mouth shut.
is not like you're sharing the money, plus God knows if you have the power to stop it you will. so until you have gotten a better job or way to stop it without getting fired you should keep quiet
Would you say the same thing if you were the owner of that company?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by nedzuby: 1:07am On Mar 05, 2018
For the fact that you have started signing, they will use it to blackmail you. But you need to report the matter to HQ no matter what confess that you have signed because of fear and you are reporting the matter because of your conscience. Trust me everything will turn out better. But if you don't, it will be assumed that you get you own share from the money. So wise up

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by wisekings: 1:20am On Mar 05, 2018
BlueScholar:
what whud you have done to her if the company was urs?
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by joedejoe: 1:22am On Mar 05, 2018
My dear get in touch with your control department and confide in him in writing or involve the management at head office and report the matter under cover. They will protect while investigation lasts.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by pressplay411(m): 1:40am On Mar 05, 2018
Innobee99:
I got this job August Last year after waiting for years after my NYSC. There is something going on here which is strictly against my believe and practice.
Some senior staff will come with receipts for me to sign. Receipts on goods and services that has not even taken place so that they can forward it to the headquarter for approval. How do i tell them its against my believe cuz i always feel that guilt after signing .
I need advise on how to go about it without offending anyone and without affecting my job.

The Christian thing to do obviously is to stop appending your signature. But I'll suggest to see your pastor or someone is your field who can counsel you about it. Perhaps the reason your predecessor was fired was for lack of cooperation.
It's crazy how most jobs especially in Lagos nowadays are designed to disunite us from our faith. Even the sabbath is not longer kept in some offices cos some staff work overtime Saturdays and Sundays.

Don't do anything rash just yet, cos the labour market really is unfriendly. Yet we must walk by faith. Pray about it and read your bible too for God's guidance.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 05, 2018
BlueScholar:
I can't believe an adult will say this. so a man should support fraud and risk jail just cos of a job? once he's in jail he will still apply for other jobs abi?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Kobicove(m): 2:17am On Mar 05, 2018
Innobee99:
I always think about how my actions today can affect me tomorrow

This has nothing to do with your belief.

You don't have to be religious before you know right from wrong!

What is going on there is fraud and you are aiding and abetting it

This is one of the reasons why Nigeria has refused to develop!

What I would advise you to do is to go outside and create a dummy email address then use it to send an email to the Head Quarters with a narrative of what is going on, be sure to copy all the relevant bosses including the CEO if you have his email.

Make sure you create the new email address in a cybercafé and also send out the email from a cybercafé so that it cannot be traced to you

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by deb(m): 2:26am On Mar 05, 2018
You should send anonymous email using probably a newly created email without any trace to you to the HQ.

Express how action you are forced to take is going against your will. Also express the threat you face and why you need to be protected in case anyone among the guilty is smelling rat.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by trumpcoat(m): 2:34am On Mar 05, 2018
BlueScholar:
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by OShepherd: 3:01am On Mar 05, 2018
Femsyn:
Let me speak for my religion - Christianity. One of things that really confirms your dedication to Christ is your standing right with your maker, in the face of temptation. Being a Christian is not bread and butter. God must be able to trust us in little things like this, so he could confirm our endurance, like Job did.

There is a reason God brought you there, make it count!
Great one bro especially if you don't believe in d " dirty prosperity" that some of our MOGs parade around. Try audio record & gradually let your stand b known; with time you will overcome. It won't b easy though but you will overcome. Am a living witness!
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by CHANCEMAN: 3:34am On Mar 05, 2018
Innobee99:
Not my job

Receipts are meant to be signed from where u buy goods nah
That means you are signing as the seller of the goods.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Nobody: 4:35am On Mar 05, 2018
U may kindly but firmly request to be transferred to another job position or department in ur company. If this is not possible, call a meeting with the strong voices of the bosses involved and politely and smartly lay out your concerns with logic. U got a chance to survive it. They would soon realise your make up personality and free u from similar stuffs in d future.

I have been there too.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Nobody: 5:33am On Mar 05, 2018
Before one can answer, one needs to know what the actual culture is within your company.
Do they have a zero tolerance policy towards corruption or is it lip service?

Are all the ogas running their own scams?

Who can you safely report to?

Also, your story has k leg. Why would you repeatedly be asked to sign different receipts? Your ogas can do that themselves or get any Tom dick or Harry to do that.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by jolyment: 5:35am On Mar 05, 2018
You don't need to sign what you know it is illegal.I was working in a private company and later I was told to involve in unlawful things which I refused.They could not sack me and luckily I got a federal job within 30 days that they asked me to do unlawful things.Just do the right thing.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Innobee99(m): 6:02am On Mar 05, 2018
CHANCEMAN:
That means you are signing as the seller of the goods.
Exactly bro
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Peterosky(m): 6:42am On Mar 05, 2018
raystar96:
Are u naturally rude or am I missing something.. shut ur mouth too,if u don't have any reasonable comment.#Mr_perfect
.It will not be a bad idea if you learn to comprehend comments before quoting. Stop making yourself a fool on a public domain. That was a very good advice from the person you quoted.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Shineq(m): 6:45am On Mar 05, 2018
my guy follow ur heart, whatever it tells u do it....i thing that the right thing to do
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by Nobody: 6:53am On Mar 05, 2018
Guy shocked
Was that part of your job description when they employed you?
Signing as the seller is a clear case of fraud , and no way you can explain your way out it when shit hits the fan. Next time kindly and firmly ask them to get it signed by the seller. Then proceed to confirm this purchase before signing. If I'm right your role is to confirm that purchase was actually made before signing no?
Innobee99:
Exactly bro
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by apprentist(m): 6:57am On Mar 05, 2018
Get a sound recorder (your phone if it's safe and secure). Involve in a discussion with any of them that indicts them on the issue (this could be an argument on the said issue), ones you have their voice on the matter, send it to a higher office. Probably the HQ with a report of all the receipts you have signed. And prepare for the challenge. But I'd advice, if you're not ready for strokes, don't even attempt this. Good luck.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by anyicash(m): 6:57am On Mar 05, 2018
Innobee99:
if change can't begin with you, then expect no change.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by frozen70(f): 6:58am On Mar 05, 2018
Innobee99:
Is your head of department aware, is your sectional head aware, are your other colleagues aware, have you asked questions to know if it has been the normal practice, so they finally get supply of such goods and get it delivered and you witnessed its delivery, does those that take inventory of stucks aware if it was delivered.
Just try and be sure you are not signing for them to take delivery and get it diverted or share the loots with out your concent, pls let the management be aware of your fears before it will be used against you
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by anyicash(m): 7:00am On Mar 05, 2018
Innobee99:
Bros, am talking about senior staff dat can sack and unsack here.....Am new here and scared of loosing my job.
and the same Senior staffs when seated together will be discussing how Politicians are corrupt and should be jailed...if you are clean, please cast the first stone.
Re: How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? by anyicash(m): 7:01am On Mar 05, 2018
The system of the Country is built on corruption, it's in our DNA..so if you can't be part of the system,then resign..like they say "if you can't beat them, avoid them"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Widow Who Rides A Keke Napep For A Living Shares Her Emotional Story (photos) / I Was Slapped By My Employer / PHOTOS: Public Worker Sweeping The Streets Backing Her Baby In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.