Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,564 members, 7,955,089 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:40 PM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (285) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (313448 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) ... (301) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:45pm On May 19, 2023
CoolUsername:

TV ratings have been going down across the board because of streaming. That's a disingenuous argument.
fair enough.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:51pm On May 19, 2023
CoolUsername:

This isn't even legit criticism you're just a hater at this point.

fine. I was kidding. Even though we don't know whether its a big or a small role, Rollins still deserves his flowers. But if you still look at it, WWE didn't make him per say. Tyler Black was already made before E picked him. They just gave him a spot light and a place to grow. And what has he done since 2019? Jumping from one gimmick to another like a midcarder. It's really dissapointing.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 10:20pm On May 19, 2023
ValeeLove:
fine. I was kidding. Even though we don't know whether its a big or a small role, Rollins still deserves his flowers. But if you still look at it, WWE didn't make him per say. Tyler Black was already made before E picked him. They just gave him a spot light and a place to grow. And what has he done since 2019? Jumping from one gimmick to another like a midcarder. It's really dissapointing.

Bro was on ROH doing less viewers than NXT 2.0. He came to WWE where he has continued to step up his game.

After his 2019 championship run he improved on his character work to the point that he's somehow more over than he was as world champ. He had never really been the most convincing face before now. Come Night of Champions, I am certain that he will be crowned world champion once again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 11:33am On May 20, 2023
How is Rey still delivering amazing performances at his age? Truly a generational talent.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 12:09pm On May 20, 2023
Kaycee7:
How is Rey still delivering amazing performances at his age? Truly a generational talent.

Easy to look young when you're a deadbeat dad.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 12:24pm On May 20, 2023
CoolUsername:

Easy to look young when you're a deadbeat dad.
Won a custody match just to leave the kid fatherless.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 3:55pm On May 20, 2023
Kaycee7:
Won a custody match just to leave the kid fatherless.

To be fair, Eddy would've done the same if he'd won it. 😔

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 4:51pm On May 20, 2023
CoolUsername:

To be fair, Eddy would've done the same if he'd won it. 😔
Ooof! That's dark grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 11:30pm On May 20, 2023
Kaycee7:
Ooof! That's dark grin

At least Dom-Dom has a mami now
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:33am On May 21, 2023
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

One question I had headed into this week’s episode of Friday Night SmackDown was in regards to how it would feel to go back to Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn squaring up with Roman Reigns, even if this time it’s over the tag team titles and also includes Solo Sikoa. Would there be the same heat as before?
The short answer is “no” but that’s only natural. Despite being champions, Owens and Zayn have been moved into a bit of a secondary role here, helping push along the story of The Usos falling out of favor with their Tribal Chief.
They came together right at the start of this week’s show, and Reigns claimed his sole regret in his career is wasting any of his life on Zayn. Sami responded by saying his sole regret is not blasting Roman with that chair even sooner.
But what really hit was when Sami said that Reigns won’t get what he wants, finally, because “you’re not as good as us” and then really hit him hard with “you’re not as good as The Usos either.”
That one hit hard.
Naturally, Reigns tried to respond and couldn’t because Jimmy & Jey hit the ring to put the boots to Sami & Kevin, thinking they were helping. They were, of course, but not in the way Roman wanted, because it wasn’t the plan he had laid out. As he stormed off, he bumped into Solo and there was a brief moment of tension.
Or at least the tease of as much. It didn’t last long but there was definitely some electricity there.
Cut to backstage, and Reigns berated the The Usos for not following his rule. It’s worth noting how much of an emotional mess he was here, both because he couldn’t keep his family in line and because he’s still very much upset about how the entire ordeal with Zayn went down.
It adds an extra layer to the match at Night of Champions.
Of course I’m buying in again.
Later in the evening, The Usos took on the LWO in the main event. Paul Heyman brought word that while Reigns had decided to forgive the duo, he wouldn’t be out there for support.
The match itself was fantastic — I’m convinced The Usos are incapable of having a bad match at this point in their careers — and saw the LWO win when Santos Escobar pinned Jimmy after Owens and Zayn made their presence felt simply by showing up ringside. The distraction was enough.
Roman’s reaction? Disgust.
The rift grows wider.

We got our first look at Grayson Waller on the main roster in the form of his hosting an episode of his show-within-the-show, “The Grayson Waller Effect.” AJ Styles was his special guest.
And they took no chances with the segment:
Waller played it straight at first, and Styles talked about beating Seth Rollins to win the new world heavyweight championship at Night of Champions. It was all standard fare.
To close it out, because he spent almost zero time being antagonistic before this, Waller said he couldn’t wait to hear the announcement of the new world heavyweight champion being Rollins. Styles responded by staring him down, and that’s how they faded out of the segment.
It was an underwhelming debut appearance for Waller, who didn’t show much of what made him so compelling in NXT. It was just one show, of course, but you only get one chance to make a first impression.
If anything, this makes me wonder if surprise call ups are the better play than drafting folks and struggling to find a way to naturally fit them into ongoing storylines.
Again, though, it’s still plenty early and he’s a talented wrestler who will surely be just fine.

LET ME TALK TO YA!
YEAH!
I’m happy to report that yet another city responded to LA Knight like the absolute mega star he is, wildly cheering for his entrance and going right along with all his catchphrases. If this man doesn’t win the Money in the Bank ladder match, I’m going to start getting concerned with Triple H’s eyes and ears.
Meanwhile, his partner, Rick BOOGS, was pinned by Montez Ford to lose their match against The Street Profits. Knight responded by picking him up and hitting him with the BFT.
What this means above all else is WWE was never planning to stick him in a lame tag team for any extended period of time. Here’s to hoping they do more to capitalize on his growing popularity before it gets away from them.

All the rest
-Pretty Deadly made their debut on the main roster with a pre-tape introducing them followed by the elaborate slo-mo entrance and a match against The Brawling Brutes, Ridge Holland & BUTCH. The crowd wasn’t reacting much to Wilson & Prince but it was their first showing on the blue brand. The match was well worked, and they scored the victory with “some shenanigans,” as Michael Cole referred to it.

-Asuka, who is challenging Bianca Belair for the Raw women’s championship at Night of Champions, defeated Zelina Vega in a singles match. What was strange was the way they called attention to the hugely touching response to Vega at Backlash in Puerto Rico and even mentioned how she needs to capitalize on the momentum of that evening, even if she came up short. I’m not sure how having her lose to the next top contender to the title does that. They actually had a fun match and Zelina showed flashes of what she could be as a babyface underdog. The crowd was hugely into her, and it looks clear to this writer she deserves a bigger push. Meanwhile, Belair hit the scene to run Asuka off and got mist spit in her face again. I’m having trouble being terribly excited about them running this back, especially seeing how good Vega was.

-Cameron Grimes wants to go to the moon. Just a quick reminder.

-Karrion Kross showed the latest tarot card for the guy he will be coming for next — AJ Styles. Tick tock.

-Alba Fyre & Isla Dawn won a squash match for their debut match on the blue brand. They brought the NXT tag team titles along with them, and were announced that way too. It adds to the confusion around multiple titles in WWE right now more than anything. But, hey, they’re here!

-They revealed Liv Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez have been forced to relinquish the women’s tag team titles due to Morgan’s injury and then booked a Fatal 4-Way for Raw in two weeks. That match, by the way, will not include Fyre & Dawn. I’m not sure what that says about the NXT women’s tag team titles but there you go.

-Austin Theory cut a promo on Sheamus saying he expected better when he first showed up on the blue brand after the Draft. He ran Sheamus down a bit before The Celtic Warrior workout guru hit the scene to lay him out and drop the mic without a word. This was all the setup needed for a United States championship match next week.

This was an okay show.

Grade: C+

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by emmanex2000: 3:53pm On May 21, 2023
Good evening sir/ma,

In need of a content writer or copy writer with years of experience? If yes, search no further!!!!

I can write on various niches and subjects such as blog writing, automobile articles, seo-writing including surfer, tech, b2b tech, YouTube scripts, financial articles, cryptoarticles, academic writings, product reviews, rewriting and so on. These also includes ebooks ranging from fiction, non-fiction, and course contents.

I deliver non-plagiarised and 100% grammar articles within the stipulated time. I also check my works with professional plagiarism tools.

It will be my pleasure working with you to making your projects a huge success.

Contact me via 07012809662
Email@emmanueloladiti31@gmail.com.

Always at your service.
Thank you.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 2:35pm On May 22, 2023
pu7pl3:
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

One question I had headed into this week’s episode of Friday Night SmackDown was in regards to how it would feel to go back to Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn squaring up with Roman Reigns, even if this time it’s over the tag team titles and also includes Solo Sikoa. Would there be the same heat as before?
The short answer is “no” but that’s only natural. Despite being champions, Owens and Zayn have been moved into a bit of a secondary role here, helping push along the story of The Usos falling out of favor with their Tribal Chief.
They came together right at the start of this week’s show, and Reigns claimed his sole regret in his career is wasting any of his life on Zayn. Sami responded by saying his sole regret is not blasting Roman with that chair even sooner.
But what really hit was when Sami said that Reigns won’t get what he wants, finally, because “you’re not as good as us” and then really hit him hard with “you’re not as good as The Usos either.”
That one hit hard.
Naturally, Reigns tried to respond and couldn’t because Jimmy & Jey hit the ring to put the boots to Sami & Kevin, thinking they were helping. They were, of course, but not in the way Roman wanted, because it wasn’t the plan he had laid out. As he stormed off, he bumped into Solo and there was a brief moment of tension.
Or at least the tease of as much. It didn’t last long but there was definitely some electricity there.
Cut to backstage, and Reigns berated the The Usos for not following his rule. It’s worth noting how much of an emotional mess he was here, both because he couldn’t keep his family in line and because he’s still very much upset about how the entire ordeal with Zayn went down.
It adds an extra layer to the match at Night of Champions.
Of course I’m buying in again.
Later in the evening, The Usos took on the LWO in the main event. Paul Heyman brought word that while Reigns had decided to forgive the duo, he wouldn’t be out there for support.
The match itself was fantastic — I’m convinced The Usos are incapable of having a bad match at this point in their careers — and saw the LWO win when Santos Escobar pinned Jimmy after Owens and Zayn made their presence felt simply by showing up ringside. The distraction was enough.
Roman’s reaction? Disgust.
The rift grows wider.

We got our first look at Grayson Waller on the main roster in the form of his hosting an episode of his show-within-the-show, “The Grayson Waller Effect.” AJ Styles was his special guest.
And they took no chances with the segment:
Waller played it straight at first, and Styles talked about beating Seth Rollins to win the new world heavyweight championship at Night of Champions. It was all standard fare.
To close it out, because he spent almost zero time being antagonistic before this, Waller said he couldn’t wait to hear the announcement of the new world heavyweight champion being Rollins. Styles responded by staring him down, and that’s how they faded out of the segment.
It was an underwhelming debut appearance for Waller, who didn’t show much of what made him so compelling in NXT. It was just one show, of course, but you only get one chance to make a first impression.
If anything, this makes me wonder if surprise call ups are the better play than drafting folks and struggling to find a way to naturally fit them into ongoing storylines.
Again, though, it’s still plenty early and he’s a talented wrestler who will surely be just fine.

LET ME TALK TO YA!
YEAH!
I’m happy to report that yet another city responded to LA Knight like the absolute mega star he is, wildly cheering for his entrance and going right along with all his catchphrases. If this man doesn’t win the Money in the Bank ladder match, I’m going to start getting concerned with Triple H’s eyes and ears.
Meanwhile, his partner, Rick BOOGS, was pinned by Montez Ford to lose their match against The Street Profits. Knight responded by picking him up and hitting him with the BFT.
What this means above all else is WWE was never planning to stick him in a lame tag team for any extended period of time. Here’s to hoping they do more to capitalize on his growing popularity before it gets away from them.

All the rest
-Pretty Deadly made their debut on the main roster with a pre-tape introducing them followed by the elaborate slo-mo entrance and a match against The Brawling Brutes, Ridge Holland & BUTCH. The crowd wasn’t reacting much to Wilson & Prince but it was their first showing on the blue brand. The match was well worked, and they scored the victory with “some shenanigans,” as Michael Cole referred to it.

-Asuka, who is challenging Bianca Belair for the Raw women’s championship at Night of Champions, defeated Zelina Vega in a singles match. What was strange was the way they called attention to the hugely touching response to Vega at Backlash in Puerto Rico and even mentioned how she needs to capitalize on the momentum of that evening, even if she came up short. I’m not sure how having her lose to the next top contender to the title does that. They actually had a fun match and Zelina showed flashes of what she could be as a babyface underdog. The crowd was hugely into her, and it looks clear to this writer she deserves a bigger push. Meanwhile, Belair hit the scene to run Asuka off and got mist spit in her face again. I’m having trouble being terribly excited about them running this back, especially seeing how good Vega was.

-Cameron Grimes wants to go to the moon. Just a quick reminder.

-Karrion Kross showed the latest tarot card for the guy he will be coming for next — AJ Styles. Tick tock.

-Alba Fyre & Isla Dawn won a squash match for their debut match on the blue brand. They brought the NXT tag team titles along with them, and were announced that way too. It adds to the confusion around multiple titles in WWE right now more than anything. But, hey, they’re here!

-They revealed Liv Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez have been forced to relinquish the women’s tag team titles due to Morgan’s injury and then booked a Fatal 4-Way for Raw in two weeks. That match, by the way, will not include Fyre & Dawn. I’m not sure what that says about the NXT women’s tag team titles but there you go.

-Austin Theory cut a promo on Sheamus saying he expected better when he first showed up on the blue brand after the Draft. He ran Sheamus down a bit before The Celtic Warrior workout guru hit the scene to lay him out and drop the mic without a word. This was all the setup needed for a United States championship match next week.

This was an okay show.

Grade: C+

Elton Prince ended the match with a bloody nose but at least it wasn't Ridge Holland's fault this time.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 3:36pm On May 22, 2023
CoolUsername:

Elton Prince ended the match with a bloody nose but at least it wasn't Ridge Holland's fault this time.

Ridge has promised to be a safe worker from now on.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:42am On May 23, 2023
So in WWE the RAW women's champion is on Smackdown, while the Smackdown women's champion is on RAW. Totally not strange guys.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:08am On May 23, 2023
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

The Watcher
Interesting contract signing between Trish Stratus and Becky Lynch. And not for all the right reasons.
Trish seemed a bit off on the mic tonight. Or, at least a far cry from her promo a few weeks ago and her performance a couple weeks ago. She stumbled on a few words and didn’t bring the emotion she usually does. But I liked her theory of the case: This is her first contract signing while Becky knows many contract signings only because of the walls Trish tore down.
Becky’s retorts might sting more if they didn’t beat around the bush. Trish demanding gratitude for paving the way demands a little interrogation. Trish, and women in her era, did a lot of things WWE never asked of someone like Becky. Thankfully.
Becky hinted at that, saying Trish did things that gives Becky nightmares and referencing that time a creepy old man made her bark like a dog on television. And no, But there’s something there that WWE can’t really touch because they like to rewrite their past, a lot of that stuff involved the Chairman, and they’re a family company now.
That’s unfortunate because a compelling narrative exist between the current woman in charge and the former woman in charge. Both took different routes during very different times in WWE. Interrogating Trish’s past, however, means examining WWE’s past. It also means exploring how today’s women feel about the things yesterday’s women did. How do they feel about the eye candy, the breast implants, the bra & panty matches, the lack of match time, etc.
And how does Trish feel about that? Her character wants her props but also clearly resents the fact Becky avoids all the sex over substance of the Attitude era. That’s why, as she said, it’s a big deal she finally gets a contract signing. But it’s also sad and indicative of her time on top. WWE often shows us her highlights in the ring with Lita but they don’t show her managing a tag team named T&A. They don’t show the aforementioned story with the creepy old man, his wife, and his daughter. Or any other time WWE treated her as a sexual fantasy instead of a professional wrestler.
When she said she came into the company on day one as a star and didn’t have to break her nose to achieve that status, she’s doing a disservice to those of us who like context. I don’t know how Trish Stratus feels about those things when the cameras are off, but I want to know how her character feels.
Becky and Trish detailing those things paints a fuller picture for the story and for the audience. While obviously a chunk of the audience remembers, that’s still at least 20 years ago. That’s a long time. Any story about legacy demands the storyteller catch the audience up so they know what the characters know. Or at least know most of it.
I didn’t expect the story to go here but now that they are, maybe I’m expecting too much. Wrestling companies, especially this one, don’t usually criticize their history. Sure, they get flippant about some things they can joke about, like Kofi losing his accent, all of Kane’s personas, or other obviously silly creative choices.
But criticizing themselves for how they treated an entire gender? Or even how they mythologize their own story while ignoring the stuff that makes them look bad? Yeah, that seems like a lot.
That said, they opened the door. Asking them to walk through it seems fairly reasonable. Right?

B-Sides
Beware
Bronson Reed challenged Ricochet because he believes the One and Only cost him a match against GUNTHER. He’s not entirely wrong, either.
I like when the person who talks that talk delivers on said talk. Bronson Reed did that and more in a very solid match with Ricochet. Ricochet made Bronson look like an agile monster who takes a licking and keeps ticking.
I like what they’re doing with Bronson and hope it continues. Him vs. GUNTHER might rock the world.

The Start of Your Ending
Haitch sees big things in Zoey Stark. We got a video before her match, where she proudly proclaimed the time of heroes is over, and then she made pretty quick work of Candice LeRae. Even with Nikki Cross’ companionship, Candice proved no match for Zoey.
WWE often does a lot of telling and not showing with their storytelling, but that changed with Zoey. She said she’s here to destroy our favorites and before the bell rang, before she even took off her jacket, she attacked Candice.
That’s great presentation for someone WWE wants us to care about and take seriously.

Shut ‘Em Down
Raw kicked off with Brock Lesnar jumping Cody Rhodes. There’s no other way to say it. Well, maybe there is, but that’s the most visceral way. During said jumping, Brock injured Cody’s arm to the point he needed a sling.
This is Brock Lesnar at his best. Continuing his animalistic rage from last week, Brock showed no remorse for the man who claims he wants to fight Brock.
Things got worse for Cody later in the show when Brock hit the ring and called Cody out.
From that point? Violence. All Violence. Brock trapped Cody’s injured arm in a Kimura Lock. With Adam Pearce and co. begging Brock to let go, Brock held on to Cody’s arm like younger me holding on to a Power Ranger toy. And he yelled “fight me!” with all the chaos happening.
Unhinged Brock is the man. Like I said last week, he brings a believability and reality to everything he does, which puts him head, shoulders, knees, and toes above the rest of the roster.
I don’t know if this means Cody wins at Night of Champions since a one-armed man beating Brock just feels wrong, but he already looks like a hero on the strength of stepping in the ring with this beast. Triple H showing up in Cody’s locker room during the show’s closing moments didn’t really tell us anything we don’t know: Cody needs a doctor, the arm is probably broken, and Cody’s the toughest cat in the world. While I always appreciate a Haitch sighting, this one fell flat for those reasons.
The man competed with a torn pec. We already know nothing stops him from getting in that ring outside of an act of God. So, yeah, we get it.
The only thing I see is maybe sowing seeds for Triple H to stop the match this weekend if it gets out of hand since he knows he’s not stopping Cody from showing up in Jeddah.

Dirt All By My Lonely
Shinsuke Nakamura needs a crew. That’s his story on Raw so far, and one progressed in his match with Finn Balor. The two got into it last week after the credits rolled and Shinsuke, despite the numbers against him with Damian Priest standing ringside, walked to the ring solo.
He felt the effects too. Damian interfered with a massive clothesline early on, and took Finn out of harm’s way while Shin loaded up his finisher.
Good story, good match, and the right man won as it relates to that story. When does Shinsuke reach his breaking point? Or does he find a way through all these factions as a man without a country?

Friends
Speaking of solo acts, Raquel Rodriguez started the night sans partner. After defeating Sonya Deville, but not before Sonya started with a lot of aggression, Raquel found a friend: Shotzi.
WWE gave us a very brief prelude to next week’s Fatal 4-Way for the women’s tag team championships, with Shotzi taking Liv’s place by Raquel’s side and showing no love or mercy towards Sonya & Chelsea Green.
That’s a good spot for Shotzi, who might finally make her mark on the red brand. Shout out to Graves for that Micheal Keaton batman reference. "You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts".
Make sure to see The flash in theaters next month.

Hate Me Now
“People fear what they don’t understand, hate what they can’t conquer...” Corey Graves called Nas, my second fav rapper of all time, a great American and quoted that line from “Hate Me Now.” He used it in reference to Dom and I don’t even care.
Dom won his match against Apollo Crews thanks to more Mami interference but it doesn’t matter because someone shouted out Nas on Raw.
Dom may become my favorite wrestler now on principle now.

Soul Brother #1
Matt Riddle stepped up as Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn’s partner against Imperium. Matt helped them during the show’s opening segment and continued into the main event. That’s all part of Matt doing everything he can to solidify his friendship with the tag champs.
The three vanquished the big bad villains and sent the crowd home happy. While it made the tag champs look good, it didn’t do much for getting me excited for GUNTHER’S Intercontinental title match against Mustafa Ali. In fact, the only time we saw Ali tonight came during an impassioned backstage promo that Brock promptly interrupted.
Not saying Ali needs a presence during this tag match, although that makes sense now that I write it, but showing those two bumping heads even once goes a long way.
A six-man tag between these men will deliver in the ring. But I never got the “why.” Last week, it looked like Imperium setting their sights on tag team gold and WWE teeing up a story of the champs beset on all sides with no breathing room. But Matt shows up this week and everything is cool.
Nothing against the match at all, but this hardly feels like the best way to end Raw before Night of Champions.

I enjoyed this episode for the most part. The main event didn’t do much for me and I think they missed some opportunities throughout the show’s second half. And I still wish they didn’t make it so obvious Seth Rollins is beating AJ Styles.
That said, the story with Lita and Trish intrigues me the most. If WWE just got out of their own way, they might have something truly memorable on their hands.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 6:33pm On May 24, 2023
ValeeLove:
So in WWE the RAW women's champion is on Smackdown, while the Smackdown women's champion is on RAW. Totally not strange guys.

"Oh no! This makes both shows unwatchable!"
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:39pm On May 24, 2023
CoolUsername:

"Oh no! This makes both shows unwatchable!"
just the women side sha. Because how can?! What ridiculousness.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:58am On May 25, 2023
CoolUsername, please explain to me why women wear heavy makeup to wrestle?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:39am On May 25, 2023
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Come Home with Me
After playing ping pong for weeks with Bron Breakker’s motivation and character going into his match at Battleground, NXT finally found a groove this week. And, more importantly, they played to Bron’s strengths. We got a taped segment with him explaining why he turned on Carmelo Hayes (doesn’t like passing the torch to someone he believes is beneath him), how he feels about the fans, and why he can’t wait to see Melo in the champ’s backyard. And he never once mentioned the NXT championship.
I still think it’s a bad look selling a championship match with an opponent not interested in said championship, but I at least understand why Bron wants to dismantle his opponent. Not doing that in front of a live audience worked wonders as well. We got a crisp, scary Bron. Not one tripping over his feet or struggling for an audible in front of a hostile crowd. Obviously he can’t do that forever, but you gotta crawl before you can walk and NXT previously did the big man no favors.
And then there’s Melo. The differences between his video and Bron’s video struck me. While Bron focused solely on beating Melo, Melo set his sights on coming home and all that entailed. We saw Melo doing radio spots, meeting fans, showing up at a Boston Celtics playoff game, and getting treated like wrestling royalty. He referenced Bron once but only when prompted on a radio show.
It’s usual good guy schtick but disconnected from what happened last week when they left each other laying in the ring. And doesn’t seem fitting for a guy Bron put in the hospital. On one hand, Melo soaking up the hometown love plays into Bron’s logic that Melo wants to show off for his city and fold under the pressure. On the other hand, it just feels out of sync with everything beforehand.
That feels like a symptom of a larger sickness: NXT not knowing what to do with this feud. I love seeing Melo get his props from his people, but I want to see the guy who defended his best friend even though his ribs disagreed. I want to see the guy who called out Bron without hesitation because beating him means more than anything else.
At this point, you’re either sold on the match or you’re not. NXT knows that, so this feels like them throwing up their hands. I’m sure the match will rock the world but, as I often say, these two deserved a lot better than this.

B-Sides
Rockafella (R.I.P.)
I’m labeling this match between Cora Jade and Lyra Valkyria “Rockafella” because it’s a very short song on Redman’s second album. Like that song, this match ended rather abruptly. But unlike that song, I didn’t enjoy the match. Actually, it barely got started before it ended!
Lyra hit Cora with an awkward looking roundhouse kick and that was that. Grand closing.
Cora took lots of umbrage with the loss and went after Lyra’s knee post match. First she used a chop block, then she beat that knee with a bat.
I guess the injury angle is why it ended so quickly and weirdly? I’m still confused, so please forgive me.

I’m Back
Reggie is officially back. Even with no Dana Brooke by his side.
Axiom took on Dabba-Kato and, surprisingly, took a L.
Dabba-Kato went off on Axiom post match until Reggie made the save. Reggie got the big man out of the ring with his usual acrobatics and theatrics, then initiated a convo with Axiom. Unforuntatley, they cut to Tony D’Angelo’s “interrogation footage” before Axiom and Reggie reached a resolution.
NXT has a recent history of not letting things breathe before moving to the next thing. This is exactly that.

S.N.I.T.C.H.
So...we finally know why Tony D’Angelo is getting interrogated in a Performance Center office: Gallus.
That’s right, Gallus boys...will snitch. Apparently they turned into singers and got Tony D knocked last week, thus, putting him out of commission and putting the Family out of line for a tag team championship match.
On one hand, I get the heel thing behind it. But on the other hand...Gallus don’t strike me as snitches in the least. I don’t know what to think of it because it seems so against character. And since when do they shy away from a fight of any kind? Heel tactics in a fight? Most definitely. But heel tactics to avoid a match? That’s a Reed Richards stretch.
Their admission enraged Stacks, who promptly helped the Creed Bros. as Gallus started a three on two beatdown after accepting Julius and Brutus’ challenge for a tag team championship match at Battleground.

When My Homie Calls
Wes Lee doesn’t know who to trust. He sat ringside for Tyler Breeze’s match against Eddy Thorpe. Solid match with two solid dudes. Thorpe still looks good and more matches with Breeze might do wonders for him.
But that’s not the story here. Neither is Tyler’s win. It’s the fact Joe Gacy attacked Tyler afterward and Wes, after a little hesitation, came to Tyler’s aid.
BUT, timeout..there’s more. Wes mistakenly punched Tyler, which caused enough commotion for Joe to send them both to the Upside Down.
And that’s the story of the match, isn’t it? Wes and Tyler let their emotions for each other get the better of them and Gacy picks their bones clean. Wes tried apologizing after both men recovered, but Tyler said nah. This is one time where Joe’s plan actually...worked.

Animal Instinct
Nathan Frazer and Noam Dar are dogs. They put on a clinic this week not just in the ring but using outside storytelling as well. Watch the match, watch it now. And peep how Noam got so worried about Dragon Lee touching his Heritage Cup that he lost focus and, as a result, lost the match.
I loved the match and like establishing Noam’s fatal weakness that might cost him at Battleground.

One on One
Hank Walker vs. Tank Ledger fittingly ended when both men crashed into each other in the middle of the ring. Hank got the W only because he rolled over first. I loved that bit, along with them entering the ring together.
But Bron Breakker showed up and cut all of that short. Once again, he speared people he deems unworthy and a waste of time.

A Most Violent Year
Gigi Dolin and Jacy Jayne chose violence.
Next week, we get the well-earned blow off to their rivalry with a weaponized cage match.
This is necessary escalation for their feud and taken to its logical place.
Their verbal session had its moments towards the end but it felt a little too rehearsed for me in the beginning. They found the groove, made the match, and got everyone hyped. Mission accomplished.

Drugs
Tiffany always had her persona down pat and, in my mind, understood her character better than most women on the NXT roster. Her in-ring work is catching up and she finally took the next step this week with a win over Roxanne Perez. A clean win at that.
A fun match between two good wrestlers with huge stakes. What more can we ask for?
These two really went to war, and that’s just the type of match I want with a title shot on the line. And I loved the fact that Tiffany missed the Prettiest Moonsault Ever the first time, which either set up a Roxanne win or a Tiffany win. Tiffany hit it the second time after reversing Roxanne’s Pop Rox attempt. All of that worked and is just solid storytelling.
My prediction for Battleground? Besides pain? Tiffany Stratton is your new NXT Women’s champion.
As an aside, the “hooded individual” attacked Roxanne after the match and vanished like a thief in the night.

Street Fighter
NXT did a marvelous job with Dijak and Ilja Dragunov this week. Much better than whatever that was last week. Infinitely better.
Dragunov attacked Dijak when the show kicked off, then Dragunov returned the favor. When Dijak hit the ring for the contract signing, Dragunov attacked him again and the two just battled until the show ended. And it was awesome.
Some things with Dijak are silly but when they just let him fight and choose violence, everything works. Ilja might be his perfect opponent.
Bring it on and put it in my veins.

The show got off to a very rocky start but picked up towards the end of its two hours. We got set up for next week, preludes to Battleground, and we’re one step closer to a new NXT Women’s champ. It’s weird we got no Chase U segment this week since they’re such a huge part of Tuesday nights and in the middle of a pretty engrossing story. Makes me wonder what’s going on with Andre Chase.
NXT is better when it slows down and lets the wrestlers find their rhythm, whether on the mic or in the ring. Once they consistently do that, the sky is the limit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 11:48am On May 25, 2023
ValeeLove:
CoolUsername, please explain to me why women wear heavy makeup to wrestle?

To look like superstars on TV.

Are you also going to ask why Sting, Jeff Hardy, and Goldust take the time to paint their faces or do you only have trouble understanding why women do it?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:15pm On May 25, 2023
CoolUsername:

To look like superstars on TV.

Are you also going to ask why Sting, Jeff Hardy, and Goldust take the time to paint their faces or do you only have trouble understanding why women do it?
there's difference between face paint and makeup. The first guys wear it out of their own choices for personal reasons, while the other is worn due to an instruction from above and for beautification purposes. Also the first guys don't NEED it while the second do (at least in their mind).
Things like these are why women's wrestling still looks phony. And I respect ladies that don't wear it.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 1:50pm On May 25, 2023
ValeeLove:
there's difference between face paint and makeup. The first guys wear it out of their own choices for personal reasons, while the other is worn due to an instruction from above and for beautification purposes. Also the first guys don't NEED it while the second do (at least in their mind).
Things like these are why women's wrestling still looks phony. And I respect ladies that don't wear it.
Stardust looking at the bolded
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by triggaSG(m): 4:15pm On May 25, 2023
Its getting a bit stale now. Don't watch or follow news about the entertainment again. We don agree, na badly written film. Abeg. This is not how to live life.

Other real sports out there. We use God beg you.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 5:58pm On May 25, 2023
Kaycee7:
stardust is no more though. We got Cody 'get beat up by Brock every week and his gonna fight him with a broken arm' Rhodes. Momentum is just decreasing every day. Chai.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:12pm On May 25, 2023
triggaSG:
Its getting a bit stale now. Don't watch or follow news about the entertainment again. We don agree, na badly written film. Abeg. This is not how to live life.

haba. For a free platform again. I don't see the problem, cos this place is usually silent till Pu7pl3 drops something. I'm dropping opinions on how pro-wrestling can be better, I don't see how that makes me hate entertainment.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:13pm On May 25, 2023
triggaSG:

I watch UFC (thanks to WWE).
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 10:04pm On May 25, 2023
ValeeLove:

Women wear make-up. Even to work. Deal with it.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 10:06pm On May 25, 2023
Kaycee7:

Hot take incoming: I liked Stardust.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:06am On May 26, 2023
ValeeLove:
haba. For a free platform again. I don't see the problem, cos this place is usually silent till Pu7pl3 drops something. I'm dropping opinions on how pro-wrestling can be better, I don't see how that makes me hate entertainment.

Continue dropping your opinions bruh, it's highly welcomed.

And I'm sure you've been ready for pushbacks so there are no issues here.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:27am On May 26, 2023
pu7pl3:

Continue dropping your opinions bruh, it's highly welcomed.

And I'm sure you've been ready for pushbacks so there are no issues here.
thanks bro. I appreciate the encouragement.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:33am On May 26, 2023
CoolUsername:

Women wear make-up. Even to work. Deal with it.

depending on the work. Woman don't wear makeup to go for a hectic engineering work, not to talk of for a fight combat. Don't you see how UFC women look in their matches? No makeup and a short and packed hair; now that's everything different for someone like a Bianca Belair. Those things are excesses and the spoil the show and make wrestling look phony. And I'm sure these women are being told to look so and not of their own will.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 1:34pm On May 26, 2023
ValeeLove:
depending on the work. Woman don't wear makeup to go for a hectic engineering work, not to talk of for a fight combat. Don't you see how UFC women look in their matches? No makeup and a short and packed hair; now that's everything different for someone like a Bianca Belair. Those things are excesses and the spoil the show and make wrestling look phony. And I'm sure these women are being told to look so and not of their own will.

You can't wear face paint or makeup in the UFC because visible damage is one of the criteria used to award points. Pro wrestling doesn't work that way.

It still brings me back to the Jeff Hardy point, though. Do Jeff Hardy, Ultimate Warrior, and Sting also make wrestling look phony to you? It's even funnier that you'd use Bianca Belair as your scapegoat when she's twice as strong and athletic as 90% of the women's roster.

(1) (2) (3) ... (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) ... (301) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.