Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,217 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? (22540 Views)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by DonroxyII: 5:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
nanizle:

To compensate the bride's family for the money resources they spent training her... and also compensation for the lost 'labor'... lady that would otherwise have been working the farm and doing home chores. undecided
What about me, my parents sent me to school, raised me, nurtured me to become a full fledged man to take responsibilities for my home and household ..

I think I deserve the compensation and appreciation so, we guys deserve the "Bride price" or grooms' price ....

Whado u think Na ?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by shaybebaby(f): 5:11pm On Mar 06, 2018
LordIsaac:
It is a poverty inspired act....held onto, because it profits women.
As can be seen from the responses thus far, no logical answers, yet, the practice is in force. You wonder why the superiority complex of a gender over another persists...becaise, you cannot eat your cake, albeit symbolically, and have it!
How does it profit women? Or are you saying that the decision makers in the typical African set up are women?

Let me help you out, who is the bride price paid to? The elderly women of the bride's family or men?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by princeade86(m): 5:15pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

True, it is a money making scheme. More like a return on their investment tongue Remember that they're "losing" a valuable member of their family, while your family is gaining & also receiving all that they've spent years cultivating in her.
pls what is valuable in it? am I not valuable also? what of members of a family that don't even know the child exist, but they will be d one to lobby for bride price.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by kishbee41(m): 5:17pm On Mar 06, 2018
they are selling their daughter to you
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 5:19pm On Mar 06, 2018
princeade86:
pls what is valuable in it? am I not valuable also? what of members of a family that don't even know the child exist, but they will be d one to lobby for bride price.

Well, I can't counter-argue the practises of YOUR culture because i don't know why or how they do things.

She's valuable to her family, if you don't like that, don't marry her. Finish. You're also valuable to your family, I'm sure, but they're not marrying you off, now is it?
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by princeade86(m): 5:23pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Well, I can't counter-argue the practises of YOUR culture because i don't know why or how they do things.

She's valuable to her family, if you don't like that, don't marry her. Finish. You're also valuable to your family, I'm sure, but they're not marrying you off, now is it?
OK ma. but is greediness
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by brownhawk: 5:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Dude, it's your choice. Nobody is forcing you to marry. Let the people with deep pockets show gratitude to the elders.
u think it's majorly about pocket. It's ok Africans will always be Africans but all I know is that it stops being gratitude the moment there is fact that they wouldn't consent your marriage if u don't pay them (sic) keep up the good practise
#Godblessthewest
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 5:25pm On Mar 06, 2018
princeade86:
OK ma. but is greediness

It is but we gotta preserve "our ways" grin
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Culin(f): 5:25pm On Mar 06, 2018
histemple:

Of course we know it's culture. What we want to know is the meaning or importance of such cultural practice.

Oh sorry, I thought you didn't know.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 5:27pm On Mar 06, 2018
brownhawk:
u think it's majorly about pocket. It's ok Africans will always be Africans but all I know is that it stops being gratitude the moment there is fact that they wouldn't consent your marriage if u don't pay them (sic) keep up the good practise
#Godblessthewest

So you want a "free" wife? shocked grin
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Pricelessangel0(f): 5:30pm On Mar 06, 2018
Bride Price Is Biblical
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by princeade86(m): 5:31pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

It is but we gotta preserve "our ways" grin
what I believe is that we shud love one another
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 5:32pm On Mar 06, 2018
princeade86:
what I believe is that we shud love one another

Love doesn't pay the bills grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by princeade86(m): 5:35pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

and if I pay d bill finish, non of them should come my way again for money . shikena.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 5:36pm On Mar 06, 2018
princeade86:
and if I pay d bill finish, non of them should come my way again for money . shikena.

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by brownhawk: 5:37pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

So you want a "free" wife? shocked grin
theres nothing like free wife 1.i hate any form of blakmail.
2.whats the essence of paying big as submission to blackmail with curse and tears when I can willingly and conveniently appreciate them how I want
3. Africans can barely see beyond what they have seen. That's the bitter truth so no point in trying to convince anyone further.
4.all I know is that no in law or gf (of your mindset, though I can't mistakenly hook up with one embarassed)can push me into paying an extortive and mean bride price or "gratitude" if I don't want because I consider relationship paramount to family members wishes
5.bows out
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 5:41pm On Mar 06, 2018
brownhawk:
theres nothing like free wife 1.i hate any form of blakmail.
2.whats the essence of paying big as submission to blackmail with curse and tears when I can willingly and conveniently appreciate them how I want
3. Africans can barely see beyond what they have seen. That's the bitter truth so no point in trying to convince anyone further.
4.all I know is that no in law or gf (of your mindset, though I can't mistakenly hook up with one embarassed)can push me into paying an extortive and mean bride price or "gratitude" if I don't want because I consider relationship paramount to family members wishes
5.bows out

2. It's not up to you, it's their daughter. Take it or leave it.
3. Let them be then.
4. Good. At this point we'll call in the stand-ins. Next!
5. See ya!
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by princeade86(m): 5:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

hope u don marry sha
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Lionessza(f): 6:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Sad but true.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 6:22pm On Mar 06, 2018
Lionessza:

Sad but true.

grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 06, 2018
Fmartin:
Why do one have to pay bride price?

Nairalanders i need your views cheesy
People were not consumed with competition and collecting wealth when it started.

Actually, this is a secret that only the real elders know. Dowry was a covenant ceremony. For some ethnicity, elders say some words as they slaughter the animal that will be eaten - to bind the two families (and some curse anyone who breaks the union). Breaking the kola but and sharing traditional brew has the same purpose too.

Nowadays, society is gone. People are only looking for money.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Awww, don't worry, I've been here long enough to sift through the rubble tongue

kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Welrez(m): 6:40pm On Mar 06, 2018
dragonking2:

Lol. It's smart of you to quickly end the conversation with that guy.

Bride price is a traditional thing, yet they always drag their religion to it.
Is religion not part of the tradition/culture of a people?
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by gwama: 6:42pm On Mar 06, 2018
It is a compensation for the person who leaves his family, his clan to go to a new family. But it is not always the family of the man who brings the dowry, in other countries, it is the family of the woman who pays the dowry, example in many European countries such as France, in India also. wink wink
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:37pm On Mar 06, 2018
LordIsaac:
It is a poverty inspired act....held onto, because it profits women.
As can be seen from the responses thus far, no logical answers, yet, the practice is in force. You wonder why the superiority complex of a gender over another persists...becaise, you cannot eat your cake, albeit symbolically, and have it!

Seconded.

Originally meant as a gift from groom's family to that of the bride, it has now become a tax. Poverty warps the mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
Muafrika2:

People were not consumed with competition and collecting wealth when it started.

Actually, this is a secret that only the real elders know. Dowry was a covenant ceremony. For some ethnicity (sic) elders say some words as they slaughter the animal that will be eaten - to bind the two families (and some curse anyone who breaks the union). Breaking the kola but and sharing traditional brew has the same purpose too.

Nowadays, society is gone. People are only looking for money.

You may have a point.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 8:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:
In some cultures, it is believed that once a woman is married, she is no longer part of her biological family, but a new daughter/ family member to her husband's family. So by paying a bride price, you're showing gratitude to the people who raised her, fed her, sent her to school & instilled some values in her. They prepared her just for you & your family, so you must give them something back as a reward for all the work they had to put in. At least that's how we look at it in my culture. In the olden days you couldn't even run back home if your husband is troubling you, they'd send you back so you can go discuss your issues with your "new mother".

That is not showing gratitude, that is a sale.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Funkybabee(f): 8:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
[quote author=Chochovini post=65611272].
NO MIND That aboki ojare. Them even get tradition? He think say na cow matter we de discuss here. Terrorists![/quote

Lwkm grin
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 8:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
Sagamite:

Ok.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by kingspeter42(m): 8:09pm On Mar 06, 2018
ask ur mother op
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Funkybabee(f): 8:13pm On Mar 06, 2018
Sagamite:

You mean sale?
How much do you want to pay or will they collect from you will amounts their spends on her...

Foolish word

Hope u know the meaning of 'sale'
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 8:20pm On Mar 06, 2018
Funkybabee:

You mean sale?
How much do you want to pay or will they collect from you will amounts their spends on her...

Foolish word

Hope u know the meaning of 'sale'

You are a fccktard.

Can you tell me what is your understanding of the word "sale"?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom State Carnival 2017 (Photos) / Ibadan 32 Kings: Olubadan-in-council Disagrees With Olubadan, Backs Governor / Ibadan Students Visit Ooni Of Ife In His Palace -Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.