Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? (22485 Views)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by datimogal(f): 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2018
in my place where I come from, bride price is discussed among the elders and then given to the brides father who will return it back to the groom but most surely collect from it at least 500 or above because its tradition you must collect from it
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Funkybabee(f): 8:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
Sagamite:

You are a fccktard.

Can you tell me what is your understanding of the word "sale"?

You are a do^key

Oponu

Oti dun.....

Stop saying pooh-pooh to another person tradition and they didn't even force or beg u to come nd marry their daughter

Tradition is Tradition
Respect others tradition even if they didn't teach u well.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 8:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
Funkybabee:

You are a do^key

Oponu

Oti dun.....

Stop saying pooh-pooh to another person tradition and they didn't even force or beg u to come nd marry their daughter

Tradition is Tradition
Respect others tradition even if they didn't teach u well.

You are a cretinous fccktard!

What is your understanding of the word "sale", moooooron!

You go school?

Tradition is tradition? Statement of a cretin.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by happy200(m): 9:18pm On Mar 06, 2018
The essence of bride price is to discourage irresponsible and lazy men from geting married. In other words you must be financially boyant before thinking about marriage.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Funkybabee(f): 9:21pm On Mar 06, 2018
Sagamite:

What is your understanding of the word "sale", moooooron!

You go school?

Tradition is tradition? Statement of a cretin.

A f0ol will always be a fo0l
Oponu olori pelebe omo ale jatijati

My last quote though u can bark
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 9:42pm On Mar 06, 2018
Funkybabee:

A f0ol will always be a fo0l
Oponu olori pelebe omo ale jatijati

My last quote though u can bark

So you no do well at school?

Now you will start making money as ashawo? That is your only option now?

Daft c*nt!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by dragonking2: 9:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
Welrez:
Is religion not part of the tradition/culture of a people?

Of which people?
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Delivar(m): 10:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
XhosaNostra:
In some cultures, it is believed that once a woman is married, she is no longer part of her biological family, but a new daughter/ family member to her husband's family. So by paying a bride price, you're showing gratitude to the people who raised her, fed her, sent her to school & instilled some values in her. They prepared her just for you & your family, so you must give them something back as a reward for all the work they had to put in. At least that's how we look at it in my culture. In the olden days you couldn't even run back home if your husband is troubling you, they'd send you back so you can go discuss your issues with your "new mother".
This is rubbish. Then what will the girl's parents pay me for taking care of their daughter after marrying her? And don't you the girl's parents should also show gratitude to my family for raising me, sending me to school and preparing me for her?
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 10:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
Delivar:

This is rubbish. Then what will the girl's parents pay me for taking care of their daughter after marrying her? And don't you the girl's parents should also show gratitude to my family for raising me, sending me to school and preparing me for her?

Why should they pay you anything? You're taking from them, not the other way around.

Funny how you're referring to African traditions as rubbish & yet you're going to expect your wife to fulfill her traditional duties as a wife. You wanna be a modern man & not follow tradition, then be prepared to clean the house, cook & look after the children like a modern man. You can't pick & choose a side that only benefits you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Ishilove: 10:28pm On Mar 06, 2018
Fmartin:
Why do one have to pay bride price?

Nairalanders i need your views cheesy
What a question.

I lay hot curses upon whoever scrapped History from the curriculum
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by BabaRamota1980: 12:30am On Mar 07, 2018
Fmartin:
Why do one have to pay bride price?

Nairalanders i need your views cheesy

Look, when you need answers to marital questions you ask people like me with wives. Ok?

Stop asking riff raffs who dont have a means to raise money for the dowry if a girl were bethrothed to them.

Dowry is honor money. It is very significant. A man goes into marital contract with a woman, the dowry he pays her is a seal on that contract and a reminder to him of her virtue.

There are two most important rituals of marriage.

1 - the request and the acceptance
2 - acknowledgement and honor

1 is asking the girl to marry him, and she in turn accepts his proposal. This voids any claim of rape as long her acceptance lives on.

2 is the transfer of all roles, like feeding, clothing, shelter, care and wellbeing of the girl from her father to her husband. This is contractual. It is the rites of honor that calls for the dowry and a seal of the contract.

At the completion of these two rites the man and his woman are now husband and wife. They can copulate.

All the other stuffs about rings and party and registry and flowers and kisses to the bride are all fanfare...staged for the public entertainment and merriment. grin
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:06am On Mar 07, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Look, when you need answers to marital questions you ask people like me with wives. Ok?

Stop asking riff raffs who dont have a means to raise money for the dowry if a girl were bethrothed to them.

Dowry is honor money. It is very significant. A man goes into marital contract with a woman, the dowry he pays her is a seal on that contract and a reminder to him of her virtue.

There are two most important rituals of marriage.

1 - the request and the acceptance
2 - acknowledgement and honor

1 is asking the girl to marry him, and she in turn accepts his proposal. This voids any claim of rape as long her acceptance lives on.

2 is the transfer of all roles, like feeding, clothing, shelter, care and wellbeing of the girl from her father to her husband. This is contractual. It is the rites of honor that calls for the dowry and a seal of the contract.

At the completion of these two rites the man and his woman are now husband and wife. They can copulate.

All the other stuffs about rings and party and registry and flowers and kisses to the bride are all fanfare...staged for the public entertainment and merriment. grin

u need education oga dowry is d gift from Bride family to couple...while Bride price is d traditional fee so to say from d groom...moreover what's so special in Bride price jingoism self....marriage shd be about two happy united people coming together...in india d Bride family is mandated to give d couple gifts...a man must not die cos he wan marry
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by cococandy(f): 4:25am On Mar 07, 2018
Because men are greedy and want to make money from their daughters? All of the world’s problems stem from the greed of men. Come and bite me

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by dammy222(f): 6:10am On Mar 07, 2018
Because it's tradition and it's a way of showing gratitude to the parents for raising her and preparing her for you to marry
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by mujeebkoko(m): 7:03am On Mar 07, 2018
It is ordained my God which cut across several cultural heritage.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Fmartin(m): 7:26am On Mar 07, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Stop asking riff raffs who dont have a means to raise money for the dowry if a girl were bethrothed to them

grin
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by BabaRamota1980: 6:07pm On Mar 07, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
u need education oga dowry is d gift from Bride family to couple...while Bride price is d traditional fee so to say from d groom...moreover what's so special in Bride price jingoism self....marriage shd be about two happy united people coming together...in india d Bride family is mandated to give d couple gifts...a man must not die cos he wan marry

Let me educate you. Have you ever paid dowry?
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Let me educate you. Have you ever paid dowry?
comot here if u can't accept correction
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by BabaRamota1980: 1:07am On Mar 08, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
comot here if u can't accept correction

OP, where u dey?

Look this guy well well. This is one of the riffraffs I told you. He has never in his life paid dowry. He has several baby mamas out there. He thinks everytime he pay babymama to go buy hair attachment he has contributed something to dowry.

He want argue with a man with two housewives, each with full dowry paid and sealed.

OP ask about dowry you begin talk bride price, you think say you dey village?

Onye akpu there! angry
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:01am On Mar 08, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

OP, where u dey?

Look this guy well well. This is one of the riffraffs I told you. He has never in his life paid dowry. He has several baby mamas out there. He thinks everytime he pay babymama to go buy hair attachment he has contributed something to dowry.

He want argue with a man with two housewives, each with full dowry paid and sealed.

OP ask about dowry you begin talk bride price, you think say you dey village?

Onye akpu there! angry
shame on u for thinking marrying women is acheievment ur mate are having investment employing pple...Oga wat u pay officially is called Bride price not dowry...last time I ll respond to u
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by BabaRamota1980: 11:01pm On Mar 08, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
shame on u for thinking marrying women is acheievment ur mate are having investment employing pple...Oga wat u pay officially is called Bride price not dowry...last time I ll respond to u

See this cockroach.

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Ngokafor(f): 9:48am On Mar 09, 2018
LordIsaac:
It is a poverty inspired act....held onto, because it profits women.
As can be seen from the responses thus far, no logical answers, yet, the practice is in force. You wonder why the superiority complex of a gender over another persists...because, you cannot eat your cake, albeit symbolically, and have it!

You have no idea what you are talking about..if you had the foggiest idea what you are talking about,you would know that the bride-price(using Igboland as an example)...is collected by men...They demand and collect the bride-price not women..The mother of the bride is not allowed to touch the bride-price so how does it favour women? angry....

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by BabaRamota1980: 3:10am On Mar 10, 2018
Ngokafor:

You have no idea what you are talking about..if you had the foggiest idea what you are talking about,you would know that the bride-price(using Igboland as an example)...is collected by men...They demand and collect the bride-price not women..The mother of the bride is not allowed to touch the bride-price so how does it favour women? angry....

This why i cant marry Ibo. My third wife go come from Tshekiri.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by Delivar(m): 12:59pm On Mar 10, 2018
XhosaNostra:

Why should they pay you anything? You're taking from them, not the other way around.

Funny how you're referring to African traditions as rubbish & yet you're going to expect your wife to fulfill her traditional duties as a wife. You wanna be a modern man & not follow tradition, then be prepared to clean the house, cook & look after the children like a modern man. You can't pick & choose a side that only benefits you.
Please how am I taking from them and the girl's family NOT taking from me? Kindly explain cos I don't understand the tilt in favour.
I am already a modern man and have no problem cooking, cleaning and looking after children as long as my lady is also a modern woman who make her own equal contribution.
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by massagecenter: 2:14pm On Mar 10, 2018
Thanks for all the good work. Your posts are always knowledgeable and interesting to read. I really appreciate how you guys have been updating consistently for years.

http://www.massagehulk.com/body-massage-parlour-in-bangalore/
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by massagecenter: 6:36am On Mar 12, 2018
I like your post. Your posts are always knowledgeable and interesting to read. Thanks for sharing with us.

http://www.mymassage.in/
Re: Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? by 2breast4me: 9:31pm On Aug 17, 2022
I will only pay bride price for a virgin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife: "Why I Don't Dance In Public Anyhow" / Oba Jimoh Oyewumi Ajagungbade: Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies At 95 / Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Lagos House Of Assembly (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.