Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,623 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly (10146 Views)

DIARY OF A FIRST TIME DOG OWNER. (GSD) / Kano State Dog Walk(first Time Ever) / Caucasian And GSD Mix For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Ebendo123(m): 2:06pm On May 16, 2018
Ur dog look just like my Randy! Are they blood sisters? Their growth is amazing.
Lovely dog u got there.

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by teemzi: 2:13pm On May 16, 2018
Lovely cauc u got... i have this female for new home incase u interested add on whtsP for more dtails 09056188427

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 4:25pm On May 27, 2018
Teemothymass:
She is really growing real good
Please can you snap the cod liver bottle you bought at the pet store. Thank you

oh so sorry, we have thrown the bottle away, but you can go to a vet shop and request for a good one
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 4:28pm On May 27, 2018
Ebendo123:
Ur dog look just like my Randy! Are they blood sisters? Their growth is amazing.
Lovely dog u got there.

This dog has a nice coat, how old is she? (female right?) who did you buy yours from? it's possible they are from same parents
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 5:01pm On Jun 01, 2018
[color=#990000][/color] Almost 9 months old now

Feeding
Arion puppy dry food
indomie and grounded fish
Pedigree can food mixed with rice, indomie etc
pap made from Grounded corn, soya beans, groundnut and fish waste
And on some days whatever we eat at home and chicken bones.

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 5:03pm On Jun 01, 2018
more

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 5:04pm On Jun 01, 2018
Her face when she sees food though

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 9:05am On Jul 12, 2018
walk

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 9:09am On Jul 12, 2018
Lexi has started shedding and changing her coat again. She is 10 months old now, no heat yet. I have been informed large dogs don't come on heat quickly.

PS I don't intend getting her a stud till maybe second or third heat. So I was advised to help her grow to her full size.

3 Likes

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by frowland(m): 9:39am On Jul 12, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:
Lexi has started shedding and changing her coat again. She is 10 months old now, no heat yet. I have been informed large dogs don't come on heat quickly.

PS I don't intend getting her a stud till maybe second or third heat. So I was advised to help her grow to her full size.

The shedding is because of our temperate climate and it will continue this way and mostly during rainy season. Nothing to worry about there....the cool thing about shedding is that beautiful and shiny ones will take over.
expect her first heat around her 11th month thereabout. ..and its tough to know when a femal have grown to her full size unlike males that even at 2years are still growing.
Lovely dog you got there by the way.

1 Like

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by JerryUS: 9:29am On Jul 28, 2018
hello brothers Abeg mak una help me I don tire for my dog. she was mated last 5wks ago and going 6weks Now and I can't spot signs of pregnancy. I only notice that her stomach added a lil but I can't feel any thing when I touch t. I also notice her changes in picking and lying down on cool places. and a clear mucus discharge this morning but she licks it up. I'm so worried because I paid heavily for the stud service. the doctor run a blood test and said the test reads undefined and he wld run another one. pls those who have female cauc what's your experience at first pregnancy?
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by jayned: 7:02am On Jul 30, 2018
[quote author=JerryUS post=69772555]hello brothers Abeg mak una help me I don tire for my dog. she was mated last 5wks ago and going 6weks Now and I can't spot signs of pregnancy. I only notice that her stomach added a lil but I can't feel any thing when I touch t. I also notice her changes in picking and lying down on cool places. and a clear mucus discharge this morning but she licks it up. I'm so worried because I paid heavily for the stud service. the doctor run a blood test and said the test reads undefined and he wld run another one. pls those who have female cauc what's your experience at first pregnancy? [/quote

My cauc's first and second pregnancies were both successful and were very visible by 6 weeks. Due to the success, I assumed it was a given that all her pregnancies will be successful. This isn't the case with her third. I still can't tell what happened as I didn't notice any miscarriage. But it's 5 months now and no puppies (yes, I am still counting, lol)

Hmmm I really hope there are puppies in there but also prepare your mind for the worse.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 2:01pm On Aug 04, 2018
So one day I will also get to this dog pregnancy hurdle? lol
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2018
jayned:

Funny the only lesson my 4month old knows is never pooing in her cage. Everything else has failed.

We trained her by taking her to a desired place where we wanted her to poo (on a leash) and waiting till she was done. We did this for a couple of days till she figured it out.
We started this when she was about 10weeks.

I almost gave up initially cos it was really a long wait.

We let her out twice a day. In the morning and evening. She always gets the poo business done during these periods.

You have tried with the other commands though like I said I wasn't able to achieve that.

Best of luck.

My dogs too used too be find of shiting in the cage even though I let them out to relieve themselves they kept on shiting in the cage. Then I started beating them, anytime they shit in the cage I would flog them with their chains then gradually they stoped, now they don't shot in the cage anymore.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 11:48am On Aug 11, 2018
well mine stopped by herself, I guess she outgrew it as we started releasing her every night
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 7:56am On Sep 04, 2018
I am not home with lexi at the moment but my younger ones called to inform me she isn't eating, infact she has refused to eat for 2 days now, when they called me yesterday I told them to prepare just meat and fish for her, they should cut it into bits. I was surprised to hear she didn't still eat that. They reported she likes isolating herself now, staying under the car for most part of the day. No watery stool or they can't even know as she as refused to eat or drink. Neither can they know if she is vomiting.

So I asked them to take her to the vet immediately

Yesterday they got there and explained to the vet who checked her temperature and told them her temperature is fine. He asked them if her urine was dark yellow but they would not know either as she isolated herself and refused to drink or eat.
So the doctor de wormed her and gave her another injection which I can't remember, and told us it might be fever we should try to feed her and check her urine also, that if it's dark it, we should bring her back for a three days treatment.

Till this morning she has refused to eat and chose to remain in her cage even when it is opened, they also said she acts aggressive if you try to force her out. Lexi is a big eater and since I bought her till now she has never rejected any food, even if it's gala you throw at her.

Any solution? Anyone had similar experience?

Come and help me end my dog's by force fast o grin

Thanks
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by divinest: 8:10am On Sep 06, 2018
Pls I have a question WATS is the difference between a Caucasian and a Caucasian ovchaka
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 06, 2018
Hmmn.. What's her(lexi) update?
I got this from a site which I think can be helpful

When a dog won’t eat, it is referred to as anorexia. This is different from anorexia nervosa, an eating disorder found in humans. Instead anorexia describes a complete loss of appetite in dogs.

Because loss of appetite in dogs can indicate illness, it is important to seek veterinary care if you notice changes in your dog’s eating habits. It is especially important to respond promptly to a refusal to eat in dogs that usually eat well.

Even though most dogs can go a couple of days without food having without significant bad effects, it is best to address the problem as early as possible.

Reasons your dog won’t eat

Just like in people, there are a variety of reasons dogs might refuse to eat. These include:

Illness. A decreased appetite in dogs is often a sign of sickness, especially if your dog is exhibiting other symptoms at the same time. Although a loss of appetite in dogs doesn’t necessarily indicate serious disease, prompt veterinary attention is important because it could be a sign of significant illness, including cancer, various systemic infections, pain, liver problems, and kidney failure.
Dental disease. Your dog may not want to eat because something in their mouth is causing pain. Have him checked for a broken or loose tooth, severe gingivitis and even an oral tumor.
Recent vaccination. Fortunately, vaccinations are available for many serious and contagious dog diseases. Although these injections have saved the lives of millions of pets in the past 100 years, they do sometimes have adverse effects. The majority of these are minor and brief, including a temporary loss of appetite in dogs.
Travel and unfamiliar surroundings. If your dog’s appetite was fine until you went on a trip with him or moved to a new location, it may be that your dog won’t eat because of traveling or the unfamiliar surroundings. Some animals may get motion sickness, and others become nervous or uncomfortable in new places.
Pickiness or behavior issues. Some dogs are just picky, or their refusal to eat may be caused by feeding them in situations where they aren’t comfortable, such as around an aggressive dog or from a bowl at an uncomfortable height. Because a decreased appetite in dogs may be caused by illness, never assume that your dog is picky without investigating other possibilities first.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by jayned: 7:58pm On Sep 06, 2018
JerryUS:
hello brothers Abeg mak una help me I don tire for my dog. she was mated last 5wks ago and going 6weks Now and I can't spot signs of pregnancy. I only notice that her stomach added a lil but I can't feel any thing when I touch t. I also notice her changes in picking and lying down on cool places. and a clear mucus discharge this morning but she licks it up. I'm so worried because I paid heavily for the stud service. the doctor run a blood test and said the test reads undefined and he wld run another one. pls those who have female cauc what's your experience at first pregnancy?

Any update on her pregnancy and her health?
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 7:46am On Sep 07, 2018
PawsEmpire:
Hmmn.. What's her(lexi) update?
I got this from a site which I think can be helpful

When a dog won’t eat, it is referred to as anorexia. This is different from anorexia nervosa, an eating disorder found in humans. Instead anorexia describes a complete loss of appetite in dogs.

Because loss of appetite in dogs can indicate illness, it is important to seek veterinary care if you notice changes in your dog’s eating habits. It is especially important to respond promptly to a refusal to eat in dogs that usually eat well.

Even though most dogs can go a couple of days without food having without significant bad effects, it is best to address the problem as early as possible.

Reasons your dog won’t eat

Just like in people, there are a variety of reasons dogs might refuse to eat. These include:

Illness. A decreased appetite in dogs is often a sign of sickness, especially if your dog is exhibiting other symptoms at the same time. Although a loss of appetite in dogs doesn’t necessarily indicate serious disease, prompt veterinary attention is important because it could be a sign of significant illness, including cancer, various systemic infections, pain, liver problems, and kidney failure.
Dental disease. Your dog may not want to eat because something in their mouth is causing pain. Have him checked for a broken or loose tooth, severe gingivitis and even an oral tumor.
Recent vaccination. Fortunately, vaccinations are available for many serious and contagious dog diseases. Although these injections have saved the lives of millions of pets in the past 100 years, they do sometimes have adverse effects. The majority of these are minor and brief, including a temporary loss of appetite in dogs.
Travel and unfamiliar surroundings. If your dog’s appetite was fine until you went on a trip with him or moved to a new location, it may be that your dog won’t eat because of traveling or the unfamiliar surroundings. Some animals may get motion sickness, and others become nervous or uncomfortable in new places.
Pickiness or behavior issues. Some dogs are just picky, or their refusal to eat may be caused by feeding them in situations where they aren’t comfortable, such as around an aggressive dog or from a bowl at an uncomfortable height. Because a decreased appetite in dogs may be caused by illness, never assume that your dog is picky without investigating other possibilities first.

Thank you, she finally started eating yesterday.
She completed a three days treatment for fever Yesterday also, It was caused by illness.
This is the first time she has been sick since she was bought. She is quite a healthy dog.

Thanks for your assistance, God bless

1 Like

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 3:11pm On Nov 06, 2018
My dog is a year and 2 months old now

Growing everyday
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by johnclement: 9:21am On Nov 07, 2018
Bro. mine is a year and 7months now no sign of first heat

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by space9880: 9:02am On Nov 08, 2018
johnclement:
Bro. mine is a year and 7months now no sign of first heat

no need to worry ask jayned her dog came on heat at 2yrs.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 12:40pm On Nov 08, 2018
cheesy
same with mine, no heat yet... abeg let her take her time

Not rushing her

Just a random question though, so is it advisable to cross them big dogs on first heat since they delay till 2 yrs? As they would have grown to their full potentials then.
Just asking so I will know of to instruct my brothers not to carry any male dog near lexi, I want the best practice followed for her
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by space9880: 1:27am On Nov 09, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:
cheesy
same with mine, no heat yet... abeg let her take her time

Not rushing her

Just a random question though, so is it advisable to cross them big dogs on first heat since they delay till 2 yrs? As they would have grown to their full potentials then.
Just asking so I will know of to instruct my brothers not to carry any male dog near lexi, I want the best practice followed for her

yes Sir
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by jayned: 6:54am On Nov 09, 2018
space9880:

no need to worry ask jayned her dog came on heat at 2yrs.

very true. that way u won't need to skip u just mate once she comes on. My Isis is 1 year now and no sign of heat even as she is around a male and a female on heat. Maybe she is following in her mama's footsteps.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 9:26am On Nov 11, 2018
just came into town, she is way bigger than I left

2 Likes

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by netsurfer01(m): 12:59pm On Nov 16, 2018
thefunclubenterprise, nice dog you've got there.. Goodluck : wink
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 7:20pm On Nov 17, 2018
netsurfer01:
thefunclubenterprise, nice dog you've got there.. Goodluck : wink

Thanks
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 11:31pm On Mar 11, 2019
I might need a dog lover in lagos to adopt lexi for a few months pending when I return from a work trip.

Would have easily left her for my neighbours but I think she will come on heat during this period and they will not be savvy enough to know or do anything about.

Advice pls or show interest

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Diary Of My Boy "Bullet" / Which Feed Is The Best For My New Caucasian. Plz Help! / Lady Breastfeed Her Puppies With her own Breast Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.