Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Tennis: Masters Series! - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis: Masters Series! (3446 Views)

London Olympics Tennis Final : Serena Willams Vs Sharapova / Tennis: Roland Garros 2011 (where Are All These Yeye Tennis Fans Self) / Tennis: Rome Masters! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by McKren(m): 4:20pm On Mar 25, 2007
Na only PDF dey watch lawn tennis
Nobody wan contribute for this thread.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by Seun(m): 7:18pm On Mar 25, 2007
What about you, Oga McRen? Oya, contribute!
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by roflmao: 3:39am On Mar 26, 2007
What's there to contribute anyway?
And besides most cats on here claiming allegiance with tennis ain't in-depth tennis fans in my opinion.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 10:23am On Mar 26, 2007
@ rof-lmao. . . your first contribution on this thread shows u know the sport very well. I'm sure many of us would love to read more of such intelligent inputs as often as possible.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 10:35am On Mar 26, 2007
Some Third Round Results:

Mathieu - Gonzalez 6-3, 7-6
Murray - Kendrick 6-3, 6-1
Ferrer - Bolelli 7-6, 6-2
Roddick - Simon 6-4, 6-4
Lopez - Serra 7-6, 6-3
Djokovic - Llodra 6-4, 6-1
Del Potro - Youzhny 7-6, 6-4
Nadal - Rochus Retired

Rafael Nadal was given a walkover into the fourth round, after Oliver Rochus confirms that a foot injury will prevent him playing last night.

Federer, Ljubicic, Davydenko play later in the day.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 11:42pm On Mar 26, 2007
Argentina's Guillermo Canas sets up a fourth round clash with Roger Federer at the Miami Masters in a replay of their match at Indian Wells, where Canas ended the world number one's 41-game winning streak. Canas beats Frenchman Richard Gasquet 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 to advance.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 9:54pm On Mar 28, 2007
Fourth Round Fixtures:

Guillermo Canas (ARG) vs. Roger Federer (SUI)
Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs. Radek Stepanek (CZE)
Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) vs. Amer Delic (USA)
Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) vs. Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Andrew Murray (GBR) vs. Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)
Andy Roddick (USA) vs. David Ferrer (ESP)
Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs. Juan Marin Del Potro (ARG)
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 9:56pm On Mar 28, 2007
Argentine Guillermo Canas stunned world number one Roger Federer for the second time in a fortnight in a 7-6 (7-2) 2-6 7-6 (7-5) classic to advance to the Miami Masters quarter-finals.

The two-time defending Miami champion, who lost to Canas 7-5 6-2 in the second round of Indian Wells two weeks ago, made an uncharacteristic 51 unforced errors shocked shocked shocked as the Argentine played the back of the court brilliantly to defeat the 25-year-old Swiss.

"I really expected to win, it was one of those matches I shouldn't have lost," Federer said.

"But he's a great competitor. He played well both times and I just couldn't put him away."

Canas advances to face Tommy Robredo in the quarter-finals after the Spaniard eliminated Czech Radek Stepanek in another dramatic clash 7-6 (7-4) 5-7 7-6 (7-3).

"I don't know what it is the key to beat him, I fight for every point and I think for that I beat him," said Canas, who had to qualify for his place in the last two events.

"I think I have luck because I played very well the two matches.

"I think I played great tennis today, for me it's like a dream. To beat two weeks in a row the world number one, it's amazing.

"I don't know what I do, I just know I played very good tennis."

The 29-year-old claimed two tension-filled tie-breaks in the first and third sets after Federer routed his opponent with normal precision in the second.

When Canas beat Federer in Indian Wells he ended a near-record 41-match winning streak by the Swiss, and with the Miami victory he keeps Federer from becoming only the second man to win the tournament three consecutive years.

In addition to numerous unforced errors, Federer failed to take an enormous number of break chances against the Argentine only converting only four of 16 break points.

"I was in almost total control for almost all the match once I broke back in the first set," said Federer.

"I thought it was a great match, so it was disappointing to lose.

"He dug deep and played well, I was just not in the end very happy with the way things went. I could have won but I didn't do it."

Though Canas won just two of five on break chances, most of Federer's breaks came in his dominant second set, while Canas took the first break in the opening set and responded wonderfully to Federer's challenge in the third rallying back from a break down.

Fourth Round Results:

Canas - Federer 7-6, 2-6, 7-6
Robredo - Stepanek 7-6, 5-7, 7-6
Chela - Delic 6-3, 6-2
Ljubicic - Nieminen 7-6, 6-4
Murray - Mattieu 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
Roddick - Ferrer 7-5, 6-3
Djokovic - Lopez 6-0, 6-3
Nadal - Del Potro 6-0, 6-4
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 10:00pm On Mar 28, 2007
QuarterFinal Fixtures:

Guillermo Canas (ARG) vs. Tommy Robredo (ESP)
Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) vs. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
Andrew Murray (GBR) vs. Andy Roddick (USA)
Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 6:03pm On Mar 29, 2007
After losing to Rafael Nadal in last week's final at Indian Wells, Serb Novak Djokovic took quick revenge, shocking the Spaniard 6-3 6-4 to advance to the Miami Masters semi-finals without dropping set.

The men's draw took a surprising turn for the second successive day with second seed Nadal and number three Andy Roddick joining world number one Roger Federer on their way out of the tournament.

The 19-year-old Serbian will now meet Britain's Andy Murray, who reached the final four when Roddick was forced to retire with a hamstring injury trailing 5-3 in the first set.

Earlier in the week, Nadal ruled himself out of Spain's Davis Cup tie because of a sore foot but refused to use the nagging injury as an excuse for his loss.

Federer lost to Argentine Guillermo Canas on Tuesday.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by roflmao: 2:57am On Mar 30, 2007
That Djokovic victory caught me off-guard completely. As good a player as he is I never thought he could actually pull that one off especially after being blackballed just a week ago in California. He's got my respect, at least for now. Shame he will be playing Murray next though. I'd have love to see them both in the final. These youngies have come out all gunz blazing so early this season slapping the ol' heads off-court left right and center. Just a pity my favourite - Gasquet - is yet to find that consistency to take him to the next level. Oh well, it's only a matter of time. Just a matter of time.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 3:10pm On Mar 30, 2007
I couldn't also believe in-form Nadal could be dismissed in straight sets by Djokovic. Yea. . . it's only a matter of time before he reaches the top 5, provided he remains injury-free.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 3:13pm On Mar 30, 2007
Number seven seed Ivan Ljubici[/b]c delivered a composed performance to move past Juan Ignacio Chela 6-3 7-5 and into the semi-finals of the Miami Masters.

He will now go on to meet [b]Guillermo Canas
in the last four after Roger Federer's conqueror battled past Spanish sixth seed Tommy Robredo 7-6 6-1.

Back on the ATP Tour after serving a 15 month drugs suspension, Canas had eight break points in the opening set and could not convert any of them but prevailed in the tiebreak 7-5.

The Argentine then pounced on the dejected Spaniard, sweeping through the opening four games of the second set to take control of the match.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 30, 2007
Djokovic is a guy to watch!!! Fantastic player, i expect him to be in the top 5 by the end of the year. Master class performance in eradicating that overhyped Scottish fellow, Andy Murray.

Wow 6-1, 6-0. . . How bad could it get? So much for the much touted clash of the 19 yr olds!
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 10:13pm On Mar 30, 2007
Djokovic does not need the media to tell him his capabilities. The guy is just a wonder. The guy simply silenced the british media. Murray, on the other hand, has a great future too, if only he doesn't allow the press to manipulate him. He is a very good player. no doubt. He's just not 'there' yet.

Who's his opponent in the final gonna be? Canas?
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by Seun(m): 10:17pm On Mar 30, 2007
Was Nadal injured? I'm downloading this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS9_ngRLctY
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 10:36pm On Mar 30, 2007
Well, Nadal said he had a foot injury before his match with Djokovic that had been bothering him for some time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2815919
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by roflmao: 2:55am On Mar 31, 2007
That's part of the frustrations I get with Murray: unexplainable "out-of-the-blue" acute inconsistence! He plays awesome to beat a top player Roddick one round and then put on a sub-par performance the next round, SMH. Nadal got spanked fair and square by a better player on the day. Wasn't he "injured" when he bageled Del Potro in the previous round?

And BTW Seun, that was the final match in California not the semi a couple of days ago. I have to say both finalist thoroughly deserve that title but I'll be rooting for Djokovic just because he a young thundercat like myself, er, okay may be I ain't young like him but I'm closer to him than Canas agewise, yaaay! grin
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by Seun(m): 4:41am On Mar 31, 2007
Yeah, I just noticed that. Nadal won that one.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 5:15pm On Apr 01, 2007
The final match between Djokovic and Canas is underway.

Here are some basic facts regarding what’s at stake in the fight for the Sony Ericsson Open men’s trophy today.

-  Djokovic, at 19 years, 10 months old, is hoping to become the youngest Sony Ericsson Open champion in the tournament’s 23-year history.
-  Guillermo Canas is looking to become the first qualifier and only the second unseeded player to win this tournament. (FYI: Tim Mayotte, the first champion of this tournament, was unseeded when he won the title in 1995).
-  This is the second time that both of these players have played in a final of a coveted ATP Masters Series event. Canas won the biggest title of his career at the ATP Masters Series Toronto event in 2002. Djokovic, reached the Indian Wells final two weeks ago.
-  Djokovic has not lost a set in five matches played here, while Canas has lost three sets in five matches.

Maybe I should add that Djokovic has never defeated Federer, while Canas has beaten Federer twice.

Who takes the Miami crown?
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 10:48pm On Apr 01, 2007

Serbian teenager Novak Djokovic won his first Masters title as he defeated Guillermo Canas 6-3 6-2 6-4 to take the Sony Ericsson title.

With his first ATP Masters Series title, Djokovic became the youngest men's champion in the tournament's 23-year history. He won every set he played.

Djokovic saved all five break points he faced in the final and held serve 59 of 60 service games through the tournament, including his last 28 service games.

Seeded 10th, Djokovic will improve to a career-high No. 7 in the rankings Monday.

Djokovic earned $533,350. Canas received $266,675.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by Seun(m): 2:35am On Apr 02, 2007
That's an interesting amount of money! wink
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 9:31pm On Apr 14, 2007
Monte Carlo Masters:

Argentine Guillermo Canas has pulled out of the Monte Carlo Masters Series, organisers have confirmed.

Canas, who beat world number one Roger Federer at the Indian Wells and Miami Masters Series, is suffering from leg pains.

Americans James Blake and Andy Roddick have also withdrawn from the claycourt tournament, which starts on Sunday.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 9:32pm On Apr 14, 2007
Two-time defending champion Rafael Nadal was shown no favor at Saturday’s main draw ceremony at the Masters Series Monte-Carlo presented by Rolex. The World No. 2 Spaniard could play his first match against in-form Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela (who is off to a flying 20-6 start on the year.

Beyond that, in the third round Nadal could face one of a quartet of threats – former World No. 1 Marat Safin, No. 16 seed Jarkko Nieminen, French wild card Paul-Henri Mathieu and Belgian Kristof Vliegen.

Top seed Roger Federer, who lost to Nadal in four sets in last year’s final, will play his first match against a qualifier. He would expect to face either former Roland Garros champion Carlos Moya or 13th seed Mikhail Youzhny in the third round, with a possible fourth-round showdown with newly-crowned Sony Ericsson Open champion Novak Djokovic.

http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/1/en/news/2007/draw.asp
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 5:03pm On Apr 15, 2007
Seeds: 1Roger Federer (SUI), 2Rafael Nadal (ESP), 3Nikolay Davydenko (RUS), 4Fernando Gonzalez (CHL), 5Tommy Robredo (ESP), 6Novak Djokovic (SRB), 7Ivan Ljubicic (CRO), 8Andrew Murray (GBR), 9David Nalbandian (ARG), 10Tomas Berdych (CZE), 11Richard Gasquet (FRA), 12David Ferrer (ESP), 13Mikhail Youzhny (RUS), 14Marcos Baghdatis (CYP), 15Jarkko Nieminen (FIN), 16Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 9:40pm On Apr 16, 2007
Monte Carlo Masters Draw

Roger Federer (SUI) vs. - Bye 01
Andreas Seppi (ITA) vs. Teimuraz Gabashvili (RUS)
Hyung-taik Lee (KOR) vs. Jonas Bjorkman (SWE)
Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) vs. Carlos Moya (ESP)
David Ferrer (ESP) vs. Gilles Simon (FRA)
Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs. B. Balleret (MCO)
Gaston Gaudio (ARG) vs. Dimitry Tursunov (RUS)
Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. - Bye 02
Fernando Gonzalez (CHL) vs. - Bye 03
Igor Andreev (RUS) vs. Jose Acasuso (ARG)
Nicolas Massu (CHL) vs. Filippo Volandri (ITA)
Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) vs. Tim Henman (GBR)
Richard Gasquet (FRA) vs. Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
Albert Portas (ESP) vs. Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs. Gaël Monfils (FRA)
Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) vs. - Bye 04
Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs. - Bye 05
Arnaud Clement (FRA) vs. Florent Serra (FRA)
Benjamin Becker (GER) vs. Thomas Johansson (SWE)
Nicolas Almagro (ESP) vs. Tomas Berdych (CZE)
Max Mirnyi (BLR) vs. Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Sergio Roitman (ARG) vs. Jurgen Melzer (AUT)
Robin Soderling (SWE) vs. Olivier Rochus (BEL)
Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) vs. Bye 06
Andrew Murray (GBR) vs. Bye 07
Marc Gicquel (FRA) vs. Florian Mayer (GER)
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. Andrei Pavel (ROU)
David Nalbandian (ARG) vs. Federico Luzzi (ITA)
Marat Safin (RUS) vs. Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Kristof Vliegen (BEL) vs. Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)
Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) vs. Martin Verkerk (NLD)
Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs. - Bye 08
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 7:57pm On Apr 17, 2007
British number one Andy Murray has pulled out of the Monte Carlo Masters after injuring his back in a doubles match with brother Jamie.

Lucky loser Guillermo Garcia Lopez replaces the Briton in the draw and will face Gicquel in the second round.

Spain's Garcia Lopez will receive the prize money for his second-round appearance against Gicquel, but will not earn the ranking points unless he beats the Frenchman.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 8:02pm On Apr 17, 2007
First Round Results:

Seppi - Gabashvili 6-1, 6-3
Lee - Bjorkman 7-6, 6-1
Youzhny - Moyà 6-2, 3-1
Ferrer - Simon 6-3, 6-1
Benneteau - Balleret 7-5, 5-7, 6-2
Gaudio - Tursunov 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
Andreev - Acasuso 6-4, 6-1
Massu - Volandri 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
Ferrero - Henman 7-5, 6-2
Gasquet - Verdasco 7-5, 6-7, 7-6
Hrbaty - Portas 7-6, 7-5
Stepanek - Monfils 6-0, 2-0
Clément - Serra 6-4, 7-6
Becker - Johansson 7-6, 6-2
Berdych - Almagro 5-0
Mirnyi - Baghdatis 7-5, 6-4
Roitman - Melzer 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
Soderling - Rochus 6-4, 6-4
Gicquel - Mayer 7-5, 5-7, 7-5
Kohlschreiber - Pavel 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
Nalbandian - Luzzi 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
Safin - Nieminen 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
Vliegen - Mathieu 7-5, 6-3
Chela - Verkerk 7-5, 6-2
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 8:11pm On Apr 17, 2007
Second Round Fixtures:

Roger Federer (SUI) vs. Andreas Seppi (ITA)
Hyung-taik Lee (KOR) vs. Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
David Ferrer (ESP) vs. Julien Benneteau (FRA)
Gaston Gaudio (ARG) vs. Novak Djokovic (SRB)
Fernando Gonzalez (CHL) vs. Igor Andreev (RUS)
Nicolas Massu (CHL) vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
Richard Gasquet (FRA) vs. Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs. Arnaud Clement (FRA)
Benjamin Becker (GER) vs. Tomas Berdych (CZE)
Max Mirnyi (BLR) vs. Sergio Roitman (ARG)
Robin Soderling (SWE) vs. Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) vs. Marc Gicquel (FRA)
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. David Nalbandian (ARG)
Marat Safin (RUS) vs. Kristof Vliegen (BEL)
Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 10:14am On Apr 18, 2007
Roger Federer was far from convincing on his first clay court appearance of the season but still managed to grind out a 7-6 7-6 victory over Andreas Seppi in the second round of the Monte Carlo Masters.

"I knew it was going to be very hard because I haven't played on clay in over 10 months," he told Sky Sports after the game.

"I'm just happy to go through because the conditions were very tough out there and there were so many bad bounces.

"For me moving to clay is a tough change because it is slippery and slidey."

Kristof Vliegen saved four matchpoints and came back from a set down to defeat Marat Safin, and set up a third round clash with Rafael Nadal.

Korea's Hyung-Taik Lee beats Mikhail Youzhny 6-4 6-3 in Monte Carlo Masters first round. Despite a first-serve percentage of 46% and no aces, Lee restricts the Russian to two breaks, while winning five breaks of his own on the way to victory in 94 minutes.
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 7:08pm On Apr 18, 2007
Second Round Results:

Federer - Seppi 7-6, 7-6
Lee - Youzhny 6-4, 6-3
Ferrer - Benneteau 6-1, 7-5
Djokovic - Gaudio 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
Andreev - Gonzalez 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
Ferrero - Massu 6-2, 6-0
Gasquet - Hrbaty 6-3, 6-2
Ljubicic - Stepanek 7-6, 7-6
Robredo - Clément 6-3, 6-2
Berdych - Becker 6-1, 6-2
Mirnyi - Roitman 7-5, 6-4
Soderling - Davydenko 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
Garcia-Lopez - Gicquel 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
Kohlschreiber - Nalbandian 7-5, 4-1
Vliegen - Safin 0-6, 7-6, 6-4
Nadal - Chela 6-3, 6-1
Re: Tennis: Masters Series! by PDF: 7:12pm On Apr 18, 2007
Third Round Fixtures:

Roger Federer (SUI) vs. Hyung-taik Lee (KOR)
David Ferrer (ESP) vs. Novak Djokovic (SRB)
Igor Andreev (RUS) vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
Richard Gasquet (FRA) vs. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs. Tomas Berdych (CZE)
Max Mirnyi (BLR) vs. Robin Soderling (SWE)
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) vs. Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)
Kristof Vliegen (BEL) vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Super Falcons Vs Lionesses Of Cameroun / Nairaland Basketball Fantasy League / Rollover Journey: #950 - 500k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.