Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,573 members, 7,820,059 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 - Travel (300) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 (787082 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) ... (517) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by NeyofeedNigEnt: 4:57pm On Jul 22, 2018
yk05:

She should go early. No need to book appointment.

Thank u
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Ogedadiva: 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
Please, my gurus, how do one link paper application online and when is it appropriate to do so? Thanks for your response in advance...
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Kuffour1267: 7:08pm On Jul 22, 2018
I did mine on Thursday and i got there 10am and left 11.10am

MeinKampf:

@NeyofeedNigEnt, No your sister doesn't need to book an appointment for biometrics. Did mine 2 weeks ago and got to VFS around 11 am and left there before 3pm.
@Biakwa, the application is obviously online as paper routes applicants do their biometrics when submitting same day
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by aybee4991: 8:29pm On Jul 22, 2018
odimbannamdi:

congrats brov
Thanks so much! I'm a lady btw..
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by muizzzz: 8:40pm On Jul 22, 2018
Hello House,

Can I use my father landed property documents to support my application.

Kindly advice.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Unlimited22: 8:51pm On Jul 22, 2018
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm thinking of earning a Bsc online from Athabasca University in Computer Science, with the hope of using it to pursue an Msc in Canada physically. The issue is that I have mailed a couple of schools, and the response has been that they don't consider degrees earned online in applications, and this is kinda a career switch as In currently a final year student of Optometry here in Nigeria.
My question is, are there any reputable universities which I can apply to for Msc in Computer Science with a Bsc earned online from Athabasca University?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by makano: 9:03pm On Jul 22, 2018
ok bro. Thought as much, just wanted to be sure.. Tnks
Kishkosh:

Mr Makano, do u know where your application will be treated?, I guess your answer is No
So, you address whatever you write to their Lagos address.
Even the bank references we do get is always addressed to their Lagos office.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by makano: 9:04pm On Jul 22, 2018
Yea, that can serve as an home tie..
muizzzz:
Hello House,

Can I use my father landed property documents to support my application.

Kindly advice.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 22, 2018
Unlimited22:
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm thinking of earning a Bsc online from Athabasca University in Computer Science, with the hope of using it to pursue an Msc in Canada physically. The issue is that I have mailed a couple of schools, and the response has been that they don't consider degrees earned online in applications, and this is kinda a career switch as In currently a final year student of Optometry here in Nigeria.
My question is, are there any reputable universities which I can apply to for Msc in Computer Science with a Bsc earned online from Athabasca University?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by hurricanesgrace: 9:23pm On Jul 22, 2018
Good evening everybody,
Gurus in the hous, I want to ask. Is it true that when you get denied TRV 3 times you get ban from applying for one year.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Unlimited22: 9:25pm On Jul 22, 2018
yuloz:
Don't do online for Masters rather try Premasters for Masters in Computer Science. You would be required to take few undergraduate courses to be fully qualified in the masters program. You only need to write an essay explaining why you are switching. In my opinion, online degrees are not valuables to employers
Will I be eligible for one? I don't have a Bsc in Computer Science. That's why I want to get that Bsc from Athabasca.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by kpizzle: 11:22pm On Jul 22, 2018
Thanks @COPR and@jnyuwa02 and every other gurus in the house. Your views on the issue on SOP have prompted me to share my thoughts openly. I have been following this topic since March/April and I have seen many approval and refusal (including mine) and this has shape my view about the whole process.

There is this general believe that we cannot second guess the VO and they take their decisions based on impulse. I am not sure about this assumption, the VOs are professionals and they cannot be playing "Russia roulette" or throwing dices to take their decisions. As someone with several years of working experience in a professional environment, there will sure be standard operational procedure or guideline they follow when taking their decisions.

Students that finished with first class and are given full or partial scholarship are almost 90% or more to granted visa. This is no brainer because the VO wants to filter out the talents from other countries and support Canada to get the cream de la cream of the brains around the world. I have seen such people unnecessarily panicking on this forum and giving themselves unwarranted high blood pressure.

Also, people with “good” sponsor in term of cash only need to show proper ties to the sponsor via their relationship. The VO clearly needs to be comfortable that when one get into their country they will not become nuisance and start hustling on the street of Canada. They need to be sure someone will not get struck and desperate in their country. Instead it is more like a FDI (foreign direct investment) into their country.

This issue of family ties is the most confessing for me and this is my own thinking about it. The VO definitely knows that if someone is married with or without children, the person will want to bring their spouse and children to Canada too and it is could serve as a means of relocating. Landed properties belonging to the applicant can be sold at any time and cannot be a stumbling block to relocate. For me, I think home ties are favorable if ones family/spouse or the applicant has a company to return to or some establishment has guaranteed a job offer or the Dad or Mom has properties willed or transfers to the applicant.

As for me, part of the reason I was refused was based on poor academic record which was weird. Although I had a 2’1 but I was able to get admission into a top school, University of Waterloo. My argument was that “wetin concern VO with academic qualification, no be the school suppose check that one” but hey, we need to understand the Mordi of operadi of the VOs. They see themselves as a gate to Canada and they have to make sure they get the best into their country. They logical analyses all scenarios to decide on the visa via their “checklist”. They have seen all sort of people from those that get to Canada and don’t even attend school to those that could not cope with the rigor of academic and also those that decided to ship all their families into Canada immediately. They are just trying to protect their country from being “invaded” by someone who was able to “con” their schools to get admission.

I want to conclude with this note that we cannot continue with the narrative that we don’t know how the VO takes their decision. From all the shared approval and refusal we can have a better idea of what is going on. For those of my brothers and sisters who are in my shoes, maybe you are self-sponsored or has a weak sponsor and maybe you don’t have a first class with no offer of scholarship and maybe one is going for PGD, please don’t just give up. Keep fighting on, pour you heart into those SOP/LOE and pray that the God lord will Favour you.

COPR:

SOP is optional. So it is not a big deal if someone's application is approved without it.

A lot of people here are misusing SOP.

SOP can only be used when the applicant has an explanation to make to the VO with regards to his/her application.

For instance, if you sold a land and want to use the money as POF. You need to explain with SOP the lump sum in your acct despite submitting the land docs. If you've a gap in your education, SOP can rescue you on that. You need SOP to explain previous visa denial and how you've addressed the concerns raised.

Dont expect the VO to understand your application when you know that there is little explanation needed. Do that with SOP.

Best of luck.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jul 22, 2018
Unlimited22:

Will I be eligible for one? I don't have a Bsc in Computer Science. That's why I want to get that Bsc from Athabasca.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Unlimited22: 11:41pm On Jul 22, 2018
yuloz:
If you graduated with a 2.1, you stand a chance. I don't believe any public funded Universities will accept an online degree. once again, this is my personal opinion. This was why premasters was introduced. You can backup your essay, for instance, by explaining that you have worked in an IT firm and maybe through this work experience you developed this passion for Computer Science. Also, if you have worked in an IT company, your work experience might count as well. This is just an idea, but your essay has to be convincing enough.
My degree is an OD. In Optometry. Anyway, I would have been freelancing for a very long while by the time I'll be ready to apply. I also thought of doing the online Bsc and then applying for a premasters with it. My Doctor of Optometry degree is unclassified, but my Cgpa is certainly in the upper 2.1 echelons.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Austinpee4: 1:15am On Jul 23, 2018
kpizzle:
Thanks @COPR and@jnyuwa02 and every other gurus in the house. Your views on the issue on SOP have prompted me to share my thoughts openly. I have been following this topic since March/April and I have seen many approval and refusal (including mine) and this has shape my view about the whole process.

There is this general believe that we cannot second guess the VO and they take their decisions based on impulse. I am not sure about this assumption, the VOs are professionals and they cannot be playing "Russia roulette" or throwing dices to take their decisions. As someone with several years of working experience in a professional environment, there will sure be standard operational procedure or guideline they follow when taking their decisions.

Students that finished with first class and are given full or partial scholarship are almost 90% or more to granted visa. This is no brainer because the VO wants to filter out the talents from other countries and support Canada to get the cream de la cream of the brains around the world. I have seen such people unnecessarily panicking on this forum and giving themselves unwarranted high blood pressure.

Also, people with “good” sponsor in term of cash only need to show proper ties to the sponsor via their relationship. The VO clearly needs to be comfortable that when one get into their country they will not become nuisance and start hustling on the street of Canada. They need to be sure someone will not get struck and desperate in their country. Instead it is more like a FDI (foreign direct investment) into their country.

This issue of family ties is the most confessing for me and this is my own thinking about it. The VO definitely knows that if someone is married with or without children, the person will want to bring their spouse and children to Canada too and it is could serve as a means of relocating. Landed properties belonging to the applicant can be sold at any time and cannot be a stumbling block to relocate. For me, I think home ties are favorable if ones family/spouse or the applicant has a company to return to or some establishment has guaranteed a job offer or the Dad or Mom has properties willed or transfers to the applicant.

As for me, part of the reason I was refused was based on poor academic record which was weird. Although I had a 2’1 but I was able to get admission into a top school, University of Waterloo. My argument was that “wetin concern VO with academic qualification, no be the school suppose check that one” but hey, we need to understand the Mordi of operadi of the VOs. They see themselves as a gate to Canada and they have to make sure they get the best into their country. They logical analyses all scenarios to decide on the visa via their “checklist”. They have seen all sort of people from those that get to Canada and don’t even attend school to those that could not cope with the rigor of academic and also those that decided to ship all their families into Canada immediately. They are just trying to protect their country from being “invaded” by someone who was able to “con” their schools to get admission.

I want to conclude with this note that we cannot continue with the narrative that we don’t know how the VO takes their decision. From all the shared approval and refusal we can have a better idea of what is going on. For those of my brothers and sisters who are in my shoes, maybe you are self-sponsored or has a weak sponsor and maybe you don’t have a first class with no offer of scholarship and maybe one is going for PGD, please don’t just give up. Keep fighting on, pour you heart into those SOP/LOE and pray that the God lord will Favour you.

Spot on! I couldn't agree more. One ishi-ewu for you dia! wink
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by wealth360: 1:43am On Jul 23, 2018
You have really studied the thread very well. Nice observation with your third eyes grin. I believe you have pass a message to someone. Thanks
kpizzle:

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by jnyuwa02: 2:57am On Jul 23, 2018
Biakwa:

On point...
If I should understand you clearly if after 9weeks no response,one can do medical and send them the result and start waiting for final vedict...

After 9 weeks you might want to email them first and inquire the result of your application. If you feel time is running out for your resumption, you have less than 3 weeks to resume from the 9weeks , I will advice you take medicals and send them the result.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by jnyuwa02: 3:02am On Jul 23, 2018
makano:
Hello House, Please to those that applied through the online route, which embassy address did u put on your SOP/LOE/AFFIDAVIT OF SPONSORSHIP e.t.c. Is it that of Ghana, Kenya or Nigeria. Please its urgent. About submitting. Thanks

Address all letters to the High Commission of Canada in the host country you reside and applying in, regardless of the medium you are applying through.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by jnyuwa02: 3:13am On Jul 23, 2018
reichwolf:
Hello please how many days does the “Review of Eligibility” take?

Moreover in my application they’re saying that “No Background Check needed” & I have no idea what it means

Correction, background check is not reading “background check not needed,” but reading “not applicable.” It has to change one more time to background check “processing.” Then your decision will come rapidly. You are very close to a decision been rendered. Nobody can tell you how long the decision will come, as some of the profiles are known the change all within 24 hours and a decision rendered. Only thing I can surmise from the profile, is that it is in its final stages and a decision is in the offings.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by jnyuwa02: 4:55am On Jul 23, 2018
kpizzle:

I think everyone worries and rightfully so, including the first class students here with full scholarship, because there is no one size fits all solutions that guarantees a visa approval. Last fall, a fully funded first class student walked sadly away from a 20k a year masters scholarship because a VO denied him visa based on home ties.

I don’t think they are trying to get the cream of the crop to their country, but the most credible who will strictly adhere to their purpose of visit. The law’s requirement they are trying to interpret and enforce when it comes to a student permit, is one of non-immigrant, not immigrant. The process of attracting the cream of the crop is within the purview and direction of the skilled workers entry program.

About the VOs been professionals, yes they are, but humans as well, therefore subjected to human limitations. That means some of their decisions will miss target. That is why some of their decisions are reversed by Canadian high courts on judicial review. It will help not to paint a VO and their decisions as beyond reproach or infallible. Not every VO takes their time to read an application carefully. Some may wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Some faced with limited time have been known to just skim through people’s SOP and therefore miss an important explanation, therefore rendering a flippant decision. That is why we advice here on this forum that you do your best and hope and pray that your best is good enough. Nothing guarantees a visa, not a first class, not a full scholarship. That well written SOP might come off as implausible to a VO. That heart poured out SOP might sometimes be misconstrued by a VO as a sign of desperation. They are only humans. That is why I advice people when writing SOP to stay off from emotions and sentiments, stay neutral and communicate effectively and factually.

Yes, the VOs see themselves as gatekeepers and enjoy considerable discretion under the law to do and undo. They can use whatever means they deem feasible to reach a decision, including using your low academic performance against you even when the school has offered admission. The gist is not usually whether you have conned the school into given you an admission. They certainly mean no disrespect to the school on its intelligence. It is only based on the realization that as gatekeepers, they must admit only the best who will serve out their purpose of visit. And nobody is better by training in enforcing that gate keeping provision than a VO. A low performance in Nigeria often leads to the belief among the VOs that if you cannot succeeed well in such a low standard atmosphere of learning as Nigeria, you might have troubles doing well in Canada, therefore likely not to serve out your purpose of visit. So they deny you visa based on your performance even when the school gave you admission. It’s a fine separation of power and respect that goes on between the school and the High Commission with each not stepping on each other’s toes. The school certainly understands this when it happens and does not take it personal.

Finally, yes, the VOs don’t make their decisions in the vacuum. There is a pattern we can infer to on how they make their decisions to be able to make our applications better. I guess that is why we are all here sharing information and ideas. Good luck to everyone.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by uyplus(m): 7:04am On Jul 23, 2018
jnyuwa02:

Correction, background check is not reading “background check not needed,” but reading “not applicable.” It has to change one more time to background check “processing.” Then your decision will come rapidly. You are very close to a decision been rendered. Nobody can tell you how long the decision will come, as some of the profiles are known the change all within 24 hours and a decision rendered. Only thing I can surmise from the profile, is that it is in its final stages and a decision is in the offings.

Sometimes this can take much longer even after background check changes to the "we are processing" status and eligibility review changes to "we are reviewing eligibility". I am saying this because my little brother's application profile has been like this for almost 2weeks now, yet no decision has been communicated to him. His application is in its 7th week now!

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by sogima(f): 7:12am On Jul 23, 2018
Hello my ppl..

Please is anyone here going to University of Windsor this Fall?

If yes kindly reply..
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by jnyuwa02: 7:54am On Jul 23, 2018
uyplus:

Sometimes this can take much longer even after background check changes to the "we are processing" status and eligibility review changes to "we are reviewing eligibility". I am saying this because my little brother's application profile has been like this for almost 2weeks now, yet no decision has been communicated to him. His application is in its 7th week now!

Two weeks is not long. Nobody knows how long it will take. Only from the profile, one can for sure say the application is in its final stages of been decided.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Josh1996: 8:21am On Jul 23, 2018
This was on point

jnyuwa02:

I think everyone worries and rightfully so, including the first class students here with full scholarship, because there is no one size fits all solutions that guarantees a visa approval. Last fall, a fully funded first class student walked sadly away from a 20k a year masters scholarship because a VO denied him visa based on home ties.

I don’t think they are trying to get the cream of the crop to their country, but the most credible who will strictly adhere to their purpose of visit. The law’s requirement they are trying to interpret and enforce when it comes to a student permit, is one of non-immigrant, not immigrant. The process of attracting the cream of the crop is within the purview and direction of the skilled workers entry program.

About the VOs been professionals, yes they are, but humans as well, therefore subjected to human limitations. That means some of their decisions will miss target. That is why some of their decisions are reversed by Canadian high courts on judicial review. It will help not to paint a VO and their decisions as beyond reproach or infallible. Not every VO takes their time to read an application carefully. Some may wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Some faced with limited time have been known to just skim through people’s SOP and therefore miss an important explanation, therefore rendering a flippant decision. That is why we advice here on this forum that you do your best and hope and pray that your best is good enough. Nothing guarantees a visa, not a first class, not a full scholarship. That well written SOP might come off as implausible to a VO. That heart poured out SOP might sometimes be misconstrued by a VO as a sign of desperation. They are only humans. That is why I advice people when writing SOP to stay off from emotions and sentiments, stay neutral and communicate effectively and factually.

Yes, the VOs see themselves as gatekeepers and enjoy considerable discretion under the law to do and undo. They can use whatever means they deem feasible to reach a decision, including using your low academic performance against you even when the school has offered admission. The gist is not usually whether you have conned the school into given you an admission. They certainly mean no disrespect to the school on its intelligence. It is only based on the realization that as gatekeepers, they must admit only the best who will serve out their purpose of visit. And nobody is better by training in enforcing that gate keeping provision than a VO. A low performance in Nigeria often leads to the belief among the VOs that if you cannot succeeed well in such a low standard atmosphere of learning as Nigeria, you might have troubles doing well in Canada, therefore likely not to serve out your purpose of visit. So they deny you visa based on your performance even when the school gave you admission. It’s a fine separation of power and respect that goes on between the school and the High Commission with each not stepping on each other’s toes. The school certainly understands this when it happens and does not take it personal.

Finally, yes, the VOs don’t make their decisions in the vacuum. There is a pattern we can infer to on how they make their decisions to be able to make our applications better. I guess that is why we are all here sharing information and ideas. Good luck to everyone.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Carlz1: 9:32am On Jul 23, 2018
Hello Good morning. I have a question, when filling the CIC forms. In the aspect of “funds available for my stay” Does it include both tuition fees, living expenses and other expenses? Or just living expenses excluding tuition fees. Please I need a little explanation
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by kpizzle: 9:47am On Jul 23, 2018
It is looking like we are turning "the exceptions" to norm here. If something is true for 90-95% of the time then it is better to look at it not the 5%. We are dwelling on the 5% quite a lot. Like we all have agreed, there is some basic requirement that does not require any extra explanation and it works most of the time not because a "bullet-proofed" SOP is added to the application.

The VOs can't be perfect and we all know that. There can be slips here and there but overall they definitely try to be consistent. I have gone through the required document (imm5483e) for student permit and SOP/LOE is not part of it and a VO can refuse to consider it or read it.

from On-line search, Lawyers don't advise anyone to take CIC to court because they know it is a long and turbulent process. CIC also have their legal team and if you read all the agreement we have been signing when we apply then you will know they are fortifying themselves too.

Being the "creame of the crop" includes one's ability to be law abiding. They are also concern that some sicko can wake up go to a mall and start shooting or some dude can just get to canada and start producing babies knowing the welfare will take care of them. I mean just as our schools say both in academics and character.

jnyuwa02:

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by ify85: 11:02am On Jul 23, 2018
Hello Nairalanders,

I was refused student permit in 2016 based on purpose of visit and they also indicated that I have academic of higher or equal value with the program I intended going for. That's because I have already studied MSc in the UK and also applied to go for M.Eng in Canada. After the refusal I consulted Immigration lawyer he told me to get an admission for PhD instead going for another MSc. Since then I have been looking for PhD admission in Canada and I finally secured one this year.

I have applied for another study permit since June 30 with SOWP and two visitors visa for my children ages 3 and 1. We are yet get update for medical but a friend told me that PhD visa applications are treated within 3 weeks. Please is this true?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Aghatise: 11:04am On Jul 23, 2018
God has done it! Received my passport today via Courier with the visa on it. My profile still shows background check and eligibility processing..... PhD MUN.

However, I did not receive any other letter as noted on this site except my passport (paper route) .

Altogether , God is faithful...................

14 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Frankrobbn1: 11:22am On Jul 23, 2018
Aghatise:
God has done it! Received my passport today via Courier with the visa on it. My profile still shows background check and eligibility processing..... PhD MUN.

However, I did not receive any other letter as noted on this site except my passport (paper route) .

Congratulations!

Check your Mycic account messages, you will find the correspondence letter! If there is none, you can email the lagos visa office: lagos.immigration@international.gc.ca and it will be updated in your account.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by ify85: 11:23am On Jul 23, 2018
Aghatise:

Congratulations. Please when did you apply?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Aghatise: 11:26am On Jul 23, 2018
Thanks..

Frankrobbn1:

Congratulations!

Check your Mycic account messages, you will find the correspondence letter! If there is none, you can email the lagos visa office: lagos.immigration@international.gc.ca and it will be updated in your account.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 by Aghatise: 11:27am On Jul 23, 2018
May 18

ify85:

Congratulations. Please when did you apply?

(1) (2) (3) ... (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) ... (517)

Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.