Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,660 members, 7,816,691 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name (20072 Views)

What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die / "It's Time To Delete Your Facebook Account" - Brian Acton, Whatsapp Co-founder / Official Video!! How To Make Your Facebook Name Become Invisible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by ClintonNzedimma(m): 1:17pm On Mar 10, 2018
true
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by omoadeleye(m): 1:18pm On Mar 10, 2018
you go even see Otunba western union, thebossladypouchberry, i nearly faint when i saw that the name belongs to a short fat girl
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Yewandequeen(f): 1:18pm On Mar 10, 2018
Facebook was created to link up with old long lost friends. I don't see a reason why someone should customize his name to avoid being stalked or found by others.

If you don't want to be found by Tom, dick and Harry then I believe the person shouldnt have an acct in the first place. angry
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by GhanaMustGoo: 1:19pm On Mar 10, 2018
Op u just gave reasons why people SHOULD NOT use their real names
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by BlueButter(f): 1:20pm On Mar 10, 2018
thesicilian:
One solid reason why I customize mine: I don't want to be found by every Tom, Dick and Harry looking for me. If I need you I'll find you.

that's the spirit
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by umarshehu58(m): 1:23pm On Mar 10, 2018
Kanu sef changed his facebook name na

Igbos
Abi i lie?

Bcox if him no change na, him no go get chance dey chop suya for Ghana
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by IamProdigy: 1:26pm On Mar 10, 2018
thesicilian:
One solid reason why I customize mine: I don't want to be found by every Tom, Dick and Harry looking for me. If I need you I'll find you.

Seriously....?
what if they behaved like you...?
How wud you find them....

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Chukazu: 1:31pm On Mar 10, 2018
Every platform has got it "selling point"

1.Facebook is for show off-- women enter toilets at every Mr Biggs eatery snap selfies in front of mirror and tag it " home sweet home" shocked

Guys posing in front of a stranger's car at end of church service , take some selfies and tag..."Sunday morning ride"... customization is allowed here

2.Twitter is for witty and intelligent discuss

3.LinkedIn is professional work/career networking..u want to find my real name go to LinkedIn not Facebook

4.Nairaland is for tribalism and Buhari nemesis..

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by ImmaculateJOE(m): 1:32pm On Mar 10, 2018
Very true
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 10, 2018
thesicilian:
What if d person u are searching for customized his/her FB name, how would u find him/her?

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by jack00000: 1:36pm On Mar 10, 2018
thesicilian:
u have small brain. what if others do same? how will you get them
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Holysucker(m): 1:37pm On Mar 10, 2018
dammiedot:
Is it the same Facebook that is going old school, I am contemplating deleting my account sef

I dey tell u...facebook dis days is notin to write home about..will soon delete mine..e don tire me I swear
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by ohem007(m): 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2018
I nearly customize my own sef to skrr pa pa ......

Facebook no allow me

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by TheUpsetGirl(m): 1:51pm On Mar 10, 2018
mtcheeeeew... what has FB got to do with all those crap you listed there.. undecided
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by GhanaMustGoo: 1:53pm On Mar 10, 2018
IamProdigy:

Seriously....?
what if they behaved like you...?
How wud you find them....

How did people survive b4 Facebook?

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Coldfeets: 2:30pm On Mar 10, 2018
Nonsense.

So Facebook don turn to national id card abi us visa where you are supposed to say the truth and nothing but the truth?

Bia OP, nkita lachapukwa ma gi ma mark nsukkaberg anya!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by DNA9(m): 2:38pm On Mar 10, 2018
CR77:
angry funny you

I swear.. very funny..
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by InvertedHammer: 3:05pm On Mar 10, 2018
sketcherJ:
You would have noticed that crazy trend now on Facebook for some years, in which some users intentionally register their names incorrectly or change, edit, and customize their Facebook names or IDs to look cool, posh or trendy.. whereby you would see a guy who was named Akinola Davis from birth and has this name on all his professional certifications and IDs, would be Harkinola Darviss on Facebook, and Sandra Smith would likely be Cuteberry Smith, although it seems harmless and just fun catching on the social media, but allow me to be a spoilsport this once (sorry please!) by saying that on the real sense of it..customizing your name on Facebook actually has its own disadvantages which you might find costly at the end of the day.. Let's get into it..

It could lose you a job : Do you know that customizing your name on Facebook could lose you a sweet deal or a job?
There have been cases of many job applicants whose applications letters have been reportedly thrown into the trash can because the Hiring Firms crosschecked the applicants contacts and their Social media profiles and because of the inconsistency, they were rejected. Nowadays Firms run background check on their prospective employees just to get little or no information about them, and your Facebook account is one of those things they use to judge your character, know things about you, your level of seriousness etc ,and it all starts from your Facebook ID.
Although not all Recruiting agencies or companies do this, but you don't want to take that chance of not getting your dream job, because of just a harmless Facebook customized name.. I will enjoin you to treat your Facebook Profile professionally like your LinkedIn profile.

The Idea behind Facebook itself : Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook to be an avenue where people could connect with each other and most especially reunite people that have lost contacts. there are many of your colleagues and friends whom might have lost your contact details and would like to reach you, their main destination would be Facebook, where they d hoped to search your real name and hook up with you, now if you had spelt your name wrongly or changed your Facebook name, they might not be able to get to your account, then the purpose of having an account on Facebook would have been defeated..
A guy once shared a testimony on how his old time friend was able to link him for a job in his company. his story goes thus " my friend, who knew that I could do a certain task with ease then in the school days, remembered my name when the opportunity came up, But we have lost contacts then, he was able to get me tracked via my facebook. if I had used funny name like "horpheyemi, Holuwhathobi, Wizdaddy etc. what will have become of me"
For your friends, your loved ones, your colleagues to find you on Facebook with ease, Your Real Name is key.

It is not professional : Customizing your Facebook Name is not professional as it makes you look like (let's be frank) an unserious fellow who still has a lot to learn, it is not allowed and advisable in the corporate world and you could look bad to your prospective clients or partners If they checked your facebook profile,and your names are spelled wrongly.

It makes your Facebook Account looks phoney : Having a customized or fake Name on your facebook profile makes your account appears fake and not trustworthy since cyber fraudsters who prowl social media especially Facebook creates fake accounts with a fake name to swindle and dupe the unsuspecting public.Having or operating a Fake Social media Profile is considered Illegal in many parts of the world and may carry big punishments.

Source : http://www.dandywriter.com/2017/12/five-solid-reasons-why-you-shouldnt.html?

People who understand the full concept of facebook stay away from it or the least use a moniker to sign up.

But if you have nothing to lose, go ahead and tell "the story of your life" on facebook.

/
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Stevengold(m): 3:05pm On Mar 10, 2018
this post should make fp , I've been looking for my friend all over but no avail. person I know her full name can't be found on facebook, twitter, or even instagram. I just tire.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by sketcherJ(m): 4:03pm On Mar 10, 2018
Coldfeets:
Nonsense.

So Facebook don turn to national id card abi us visa where you are supposed to say the truth and nothing but the truth?

lol ,speak in English please

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by sketcherJ(m): 4:05pm On Mar 10, 2018
TheUpsetGirl:
mtcheeeeew... what has FB got to do with all those crap you listed there.. undecided
crap? Lol..can you debunk those facts there? I think they got everything to do with fb...and i hope your fb username isn't the ugly girl wink
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Coldfeets: 4:05pm On Mar 10, 2018
sketcherJ:
lol ,speak in English please

Sorry, why not try and listen in Igbo? wink
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Etesam(m): 4:35pm On Mar 10, 2018
Coldfeets:

You suck#
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Coldfeets: 4:36pm On Mar 10, 2018
Etesam:
You suck#

You're welcome. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by LaudableXX: 5:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
sketcherJ:
You would have noticed that crazy trend now on Facebook for some years, in which some users intentionally register their names incorrectly or change, edit, and customize their Facebook names or IDs to look cool, posh or trendy.. whereby you would see a guy who was named Akinola Davis from birth and has this name on all his professional certifications and IDs, would be Harkinola Darviss on Facebook, and Sandra Smith would likely be Cuteberry Smith, although it seems harmless and just fun catching on the social media, but allow me to be a spoilsport this once (sorry please!) by saying that on the real sense of it..customizing your name on Facebook actually has its own disadvantages which you might find costly at the end of the day.. Let's get into it..

It could lose you a job : Do you know that customizing your name on Facebook could lose you a sweet deal or a job?
There have been cases of many job applicants whose applications letters have been reportedly thrown into the trash can because the Hiring Firms crosschecked the applicants contacts and their Social media profiles and because of the inconsistency, they were rejected. Nowadays Firms run background check on their prospective employees just to get little or no information about them, and your Facebook account is one of those things they use to judge your character, know things about you, your level of seriousness etc ,and it all starts from your Facebook ID.
Although not all Recruiting agencies or companies do this, but you don't want to take that chance of not getting your dream job, because of just a harmless Facebook customized name.. I will enjoin you to treat your Facebook Profile professionally like your LinkedIn profile.

The Idea behind Facebook itself : Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook to be an avenue where people could connect with each other and most especially reunite people that have lost contacts. there are many of your colleagues and friends whom might have lost your contact details and would like to reach you, their main destination would be Facebook, where they d hoped to search your real name and hook up with you, now if you had spelt your name wrongly or changed your Facebook name, they might not be able to get to your account, then the purpose of having an account on Facebook would have been defeated..
A guy once shared a testimony on how his old time friend was able to link him for a job in his company. his story goes thus " my friend, who knew that I could do a certain task with ease then in the school days, remembered my name when the opportunity came up, But we have lost contacts then, he was able to get me tracked via my facebook. if I had used funny name like "horpheyemi, Holuwhathobi, Wizdaddy etc. what will have become of me"
For your friends, your loved ones, your colleagues to find you on Facebook with ease, Your Real Name is key.

It is not professional : Customizing your Facebook Name is not professional as it makes you look like (let's be frank) an unserious fellow who still has a lot to learn, it is not allowed and advisable in the corporate world and you could look bad to your prospective clients or partners If they checked your facebook profile,and your names are spelled wrongly.

It makes your Facebook Account looks phoney : Having a customized or fake Name on your facebook profile makes your account appears fake and not trustworthy since cyber fraudsters who prowl social media especially Facebook creates fake accounts with a fake name to swindle and dupe the unsuspecting public.Having or operating a Fake Social media Profile is considered Illegal in many parts of the world and may carry big punishments.

Source : http://www.dandywriter.com/2017/12/five-solid-reasons-why-you-shouldnt.html?

How does having a Facebook account determine whether I have the experience, expertise, skill and talent to handle a particular job? So for people like us that DO NOT have Facebook accounts, what happens? Honestly, the HR people we have these days are just too damn lazy! mtcheew!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by LaudableXX: 5:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
Coldfeets:
Nonsense.

I wonder, o!! shocked I no know say you sef don see am! cheesy
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by LaudableXX: 5:13pm On Mar 10, 2018
Chukazu:
Every platform has got it "selling point"

1.Facebook is for show off-- women enter toilets at every Mr Biggs eatery snap selfies in front of mirror and tag it " home sweet home" shocked

Guys posing in front of a stranger's car at end of church service , take some selfies and tag..."Sunday morning ride"... customization is allowed here

2.Twitter is for witty and intelligent discuss

3.LinkedIn is professional work/career networking..u want find my real name go to LinkedIn not Facebook

4.Nairaland is for tribalism and Buhari nemesis..

Thank you! Only an unserious boss or a jobless HR person, would base his hiring decisions on Facebook entries! So what happens when 3, 4, or 5 people bear the same name as yours,' and do not have a picture attached to their profile? I have seen it happening before.... would that HR person or boss, simply think the first account is your own?

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by zarakikenpa(m): 5:20pm On Mar 10, 2018
thesicilian:

Follow this poster only if u ain't a job seeker. With the competitive nature of the labour market, you can well loose out on an offer for far less concerns. If you've got a fb account, it should bear your correct name and display your picture. If you claim you don't own one in this age and time, some companies will feel you are hiding something which is bad for their business. At least maintain a decent profile during the hunt and thereafter u can do whatever.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by zarakikenpa(m): 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

Thank you! Only an unserious boss or a jobless HR person, would base his hiring decisions on Facebook entries! So what happens when 3, 4, or 5 people bear the same name as yours,' and do not have a picture attached to their profile? I have seen it happening before.... would that HR person or boss, simply think the first account is your own?

Pls don't mislead job seekers o. There was an instance where two guys sailed through all stages of interview including medicals and the company needed to employ just one. Right in front of the MD they were asked to identify their social media accounts to peruse what type of content they posted. So aside the name and picture, what you post on social media can be used against you.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by olamariamjonez(m): 5:28pm On Mar 10, 2018
you re right bro.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by sketcherJ(m): 6:01pm On Mar 10, 2018
Coldfeets:

cos i am not.. wink
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Buffalo2(m): 6:06pm On Mar 10, 2018
Point 1. I don't accept friend request with customized names
Point 2. If any of my fbk contacts should customize his/fbk id, I unfriend IMMEDIATELY! I won't like anyone to link me with any kin fellow as fbk friend.
One of my close friends who's a Human Resource Officer once told me that even e-mail address that sounds childish may deprive someone of getting an appointment e.g "Buffalo2sticaforreal@coldmail.com.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Here Comes The Infinix Hot Note Pro / Photos From The Galaxy S8 Launch Event In Lagos / Gionee M3 Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.