Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,425 members, 7,830,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Reps Okay 10 New States - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Okay 10 New States (15596 Views)

The List Of New States To Be Created In Nigeria Approved By The CONFAB / House Of Reps Okay Gov. Jang’s ‘operation Rainbow'. / House Of Reps Okay's 10 New States + Ban Nigerian's In Diaspora From Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 1:36am On May 01, 2010
sjeezy8:

NIGERIA CAN BREAK UP I DONT CARE.

but the same argument youre making for anioma state can be made for nwga state. so whats the big deal?
what makes anioma more important than nwga in state creation? either way its 1 more state.

Anioma NEEDS a state because like 006 pointed out; there is an identity crisis of sorts over there with Delta state having almost two capitals -Asaba and Warri.  So, a state will help Anioma people. Ngwa people DON'T need a state. There is NO NEED for one. Igboland has many groups. I personally can agitate for Nnewi or Anaedo state, but it is idiotic.

These states are not viable. We need resource control first. Then, regions can decide to divide as they feel.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 1:41am On May 01, 2010
006, So since you recognize my Ngwa identity, then what is the problem? As for your "village capital" statement, funny. It just goes to show your resentment for Aba state. As for where we Ngwa come from, it is definitely not Nri (if you're wondering), and there are currently two theories, one involving Umunneoha in Owere.

As for what we stand to gain, I've said it over and over again, in this discourse. If you truly care to know, then read through my previous posts in this topic. If you refuse, then I know you're not serious.

Onlytruth, I only sound this way to you because you simply don't agree with where I'm coming from. In your perfect Igbo world, you equate related lexicon and similar culture to same identity (a view so far off from reality). Me, I have a different, less wishful understanding of it all. You think I'm warped, because you refuse to actually try to understand and consider what I'm saying.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by 006(m): 1:44am On May 01, 2010
@ ChinenyeN
And where did Owere people come from?

I've read thru your posts but saw nothing in them expect to fulfil your identity classification.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 1:47am On May 01, 2010
ChinenyeN:

006, So since you recognize my Ngwa identity, then what is the problem? As for your "village capital" statement, funny. It just goes to show your resentment for Aba state. As for where we Ngwa come from, it is definitely not Nri (if you're wondering), and there are currently two theories, one involving Umunneoha in Owere.

As for what we stand to gain, I've said it over and over again, in this discourse. If you truly care to know, then read through my previous posts in this topic. If you refuse, then I know you're not serious.

Onlytruth, I only sound this way to you because you simply don't agree with where I'm coming from. In your perfect Igbo world, you equate related lexicon and similar culture to same identity (a view so far off from reality). Me, I have a different, less wishful understanding of it all. You think I'm warped, because you refuse to actually try to understand and consider what I'm saying.

I've been around long enough to know that when someone starts hacking out unnecessary word craft, anyone interested in truth should guard his loins!

Bottom line is that we are both Igbo.  cool Now that's simple and refreshing.  cool cool cool
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 2:08am On May 01, 2010
006, there is no knowledge of origin outside of Owere. The Owere have basically been in their area for as long as they can remember. Also, go back to my earliest posts; not these recent ones where you and I discussed.

Of course we are both Igbo, Onlytruth. You think I don't recognize that? By the way, that bolded statement is rather simple and straight forward. No craft in it at all. Do you not understand it?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ezeagu(m): 2:57am On May 01, 2010
All of you people (ALL) are confused. grin Give Ngwa a few years now and they'll be a whole new ethnicity. Infact I'm going to go and advice the Brummies, Cornish, Manx, Scousers and Londoners to create a Brummy, Cornwall, Isle of Man, Scouse and London state in England. grin

St. Georges Day what? grin
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by AloyEmeka5: 3:29am On May 01, 2010
006:

Anioma could be added to Anambra, i don't give a hoot!
Delta is not a state. How could a state be operating 2 state capitals? We care more about Igbo unity than anything else because that's the only way we could do great things.

Since when?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 3:33am On May 01, 2010
Ezeagu, really? As if to say you don't know. . . The Ngwa (like other Igbo groups) have always been their own ethnic identity. Igbo "ethnicity" is a new concoction; an attempt to establish what still isn't.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by 006(m): 3:35am On May 01, 2010
ezeagu:

All of you people (ALL) are confused. grin Give Ngwa a few years now and they'll be a whole new ethnicity. Infact I'm going to go and advice the Brummies, Cornish, Manx, Scousers and Londoners to create a Brummy, Cornwall, Isle of Man, Scouse and London state in England. grin

St. Georges Day what? grin

Well said. wink
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by 006(m): 3:38am On May 01, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Since when?

Don't you know there's a government house annex in Warri, in fact, Warri is more than active in Government activities in Delta state.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by AloyEmeka5: 3:39am On May 01, 2010
Esan people wants a state from Edo

Egun people wants a state from Lagos

Benin people wants  a state from Edo

Yoruba kwarans wants a state from Kwara

Uneme people wants a state from Edo and Delta

Anioma people wants a state from Anambra and Delta

Ngwa people wants a state from Abia

Awori people wants a state from Ogun

Calabari people wants a state from Rivers

Idoma people wants a state from Kogi

Tiv people wants a state from Benue and Kogi

Isoko wants a state

Awgu wants a state from Anambra

It is the so called Hausa/Fulani who are not agitating for replication of their massive lands.

When will the noble citizens of Ajegunle demand for their own personal state?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ezeagu(m): 4:00am On May 01, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Ezeagu, really? As if to say you don't know. . . The Ngwa (like other Igbo groups) have always been their own ethnic identity. Igbo "ethnicity" is a new concoction; an attempt to establish what still isn't.

Igbo ethnicity isn't new. The general use of the word might be new but the Igbo, who's trade routes went on for thousands of miles weren't stupid enough to not know their own ethnicity. The Nri knew this and used it to their advantage to extract tribute, they gave the yam the power it has today. Like every other 'fraction' of the Igbo, the Ngwa originated somewhere between Orlu and Okigwe. Communities in Igboland, especially in the 'borderlands' which include the very recently Igbo settled Abia can trace their communities back to another village/city/town over the Imo. Many of these communities (now from 'different groups') still come together at times to meet up with their kinsmen, yes kinsmen. Many of them share the same village progenitor. Here, click, Coleman tells your peoples story. I know at least Umuahia isn't more than 500 years old, its name and the concept of it being a town that it is now is not any older than Lugard; I don't know about Aba.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 4:30am On May 01, 2010
That isn't enough to determine identity. Regardless of the progenitor, we did not begin to develop a single group conscience until post-colonial era. That conscience is key to defining ethnic groups. The Igbo are still, to this day, not an ethnic group. That larger body conscience has yet to fully take root. Most Igbo still see themselves as members of their respective group conscience, while their Igbo identity is relegated to the back burner.

As for Coleman's write-up, I've been knowing that, and it is exactly what I've been stating here this entire time, regarding my Ngwa people. We've been having our own consciousness. You're only presenting confirmation of my stance. We Ngwa, in pre-colonial times had a constitution, general, yearly all-Ngwa gatherings, and have always recognized Ngwa-Ukwu as "foundation capital". This is something I already knew, and it is the foundation of my viewpoint and understanding of 'Igbo Identity'.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by KnowAll(m): 6:59am On May 01, 2010
Diasporas State in the SW is the way forward.

[size=14pt]The Goverments of Oyo,Oshun, Ondo and Ogun should give the Diasporas community Land so that a new state called the Diasporas State in the SW can come into fusion. We would like to have our own Little London in Nigeria, since the Nigeria State system has failed the majority of Nigerians and to be frank there is noting to write home about as it stands.

I think BecomeRich made mention of creating a new Oduduwa City in the SW, I go one step further and suggest enough land should be made available to us so that we create our own idea of Eldorado in the SW where all and sundry would be welcomed. Diasporas State in the SW is what we would be pushing for. Another Good thing is we hope not to draw money from the FG. We would raise our own capital.

Perharps a much more better and realistic idea,  Lagos State should excise Badagry to us because of its history of Slave Trade, and the wider diasporas community  which includes Slaves taking to the Americas, Brazil and the Carribeans, all this people can all have somewhere in the shores of Africa they can call home. The Black American tourist industry is a multi billion dollar industry we can exploit.  [/size]
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Nobody: 9:58am On May 01, 2010
THIS IS HEART BREAKING, LET ME TELL YOU WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN ABIA STATE, IF THEIR IS AN "ABA " STATE, THOSE NGWA PEOPLE WILL Bleep THE NON INDEGINES UP. FIRST THE WILL DECLARE ABANDON PROPERTY AND TAKE OVER ANY HOUSE THAT IS NOT OWNED BY AN NGWA PERSON, THEN ALL THE LANDS THAT THEY HAVE SOLD, THEY WILL TAKE BACK, THESE REPS HAVE JUST STARTED A SERIOUS UP RISING THAT WILL LEAD TO BLOOD SHED, GOD SAVE US ALL
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by LoveKing(m): 10:42am On May 01, 2010
This is a sure way to shut the mouths of 'BREAK UP NIGERIA' advocates,
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Nobody: 11:12am On May 01, 2010
I have watched with keen interests various contributions to this thread but my question is:
'will further state creation translate to rapid development ?'
will the process reflect true federalism in our system?
what are the motives behind state creation?

I askes these questions because i dont think state creation is really the problem of nigeria.what nigeria need is true federalism.A system of govt where there wont be anything like minority or majority.A system of govt where hausa can be elected to public office in yorubaland or in the east.
State creation to me is just like upgrading minority ethnic to becoming a majority and to me,doesnt change the status quo on ground.if ten states are created next year,some other small tribes would still feel bad if they are not given their own state.as for me,i would rather canvass for true federalism than support state creation that is meant to further disintegrate the bond already existing among nigerians.we should see ourselves as nigerians first not as yoruba,hausa or igbo.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by karfe(m): 11:34am On May 01, 2010
IMO, the best reason to create any new states in Nigeria would be to adjust boundaries to keep 'compatible' peoples together.

Examples:

The Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi should be combined while the rest of Kwara should be tranferred to Niger State.

The Igbos(some may disagree with this identity?) of Delta and Rivers should be grouped into Anioma and Port Harcourt States respectively.

The Hausa-Fulani of Kaduna State should be separated and renamed Zaria State while the rest of the state is renamed Gurara State.

This should reduce dividing lines within the different regions.

The different regions (or geo-political zones) should then be given a reasonable level of autonomy to control their resources and handle issues dealing with Power, Roads, Water Supply, Education and Health issues specifically.

This suggestion may be modified or completely rejected depending on each Nairalander's view
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Abagworo(m): 11:43am On May 01, 2010
ChinenyeN:

006, there is no knowledge of origin outside of Owere. The Owere have basically been in their area for as long as they can remember. Also, go back to my earliest posts; not these recent ones where you and I discussed.

Of course we are both Igbo, Onlytruth. You think I don't recognize that? By the way, that bolded statement is rather simple and straight forward. No craft in it at all. Do you not understand it?
some igbos know little about igbo history.those are the igbos that think central igbo existed in the past and was spoken in south east.central igbo is a very recent product of trade,colonialism and boardroom agreement.each igbo group called the other igbo and it was even a forbidden word in some areas.this is same with ijaw who until today have not been able to develop a central language.most igbos are not of nri origin.maybe anambra,delta and enugu but definitely not much of imo,abia,ebonyi or rivers.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Abagworo(m): 11:48am On May 01, 2010
@topic.no need for states
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by hedoyad(m): 12:14pm On May 01, 2010
IMO, the best reason to create
any new states in Nigeria would
be to adjust boundaries to keep
'compatible' peoples together.
Examples:
The Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi
should be combined while the
rest of Kwara should be
tranferred to Niger State.
The Igbos(some may disagree
with this identity?) of Delta and
Rivers should be grouped into
Anioma and Port Harcourt States
respectively.
The Hausa-Fulani of Kaduna State
should be separated and
renamed Zaria State while the
rest of the state is renamed
Gurara State

This should reduce dividing lines
within the different regions.
The different regions (or geo-
political zones) should then be
given a reasonable level of
autonomy to control their
resources and handle issues
dealing with Power, Roads,
Water Supply, Education and
Health issues specifically.
This suggestion may be modified
or completely rejected depending
on each Nairalander's view

the bolded part will suit me just fine.

@topic.no need for states
Well that's your opinion.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 01, 2010
I'm just watching.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Nobody: 1:04pm On May 01, 2010
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by UcheUwadi(m): 1:17pm On May 01, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I should have known that was you my Igbo brother. Not only are you arguing about this on Facebook, but also on Nairaland.

The Ngwa are only a clan, not something that be considered an ethnic identity. Our language is what unites us. If an Aro man can understand the Igbo being spoken by a Ngwa person, then they are of the same ethnicity since they both speak the same language even though their dialects are different. Consider the dialects spoken among the British, but they are still one people.

We Igbos need to leave our clan loyalties and join the wider Igbo Cause. When you are in a nation that has MANY ethnic groups, then numbers matter. If we Igbos had our own nation, then people like my Ngwa brother can talk about his particular clan loyalty, but not in a nation where Igbos still face marginalization no matter what clan you come from.

I think Igboland is in dire need for an Otto Von Bismark type of leader to unite the various Igbo states under one Igbo man. Germany once had this problem in which the German people operated in such a clannish and feudal way until Otto Von Bismark under the auspices of the Prussian Emperor united all the German speaking people except in Austria. Even the Chinese was made up of different people. I blame the British for getting involved in Nigeria. If we Igbos were able to advance like any society would do, a strong Igbo clan would have conquered the other clans until we became one united people. This did not happen and some of us like my foolish Ngwa brother who shall remain nameless will continue to whine and cry about having a ridiculous "Aba" State.

We Igbos are still evolving in which many of our brothers such as the Ngwa and Ikwerre are still looking to their pre-modern society while some of us are more progressive in looking for a more united Igbo federation.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by spicyhoney(f): 1:30pm On May 01, 2010
karfe:

IMO, the best reason to create any new states in Nigeria would be to adjust boundaries to keep 'compatible' peoples together.

Examples:

The Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi should be combined while the rest of Kwara should be tranferred to Niger State.

The Igbos(some may disagree with this identity?) of Delta and Rivers should be grouped into Anioma and Port Harcourt States respectively.

The Hausa-Fulani of Kaduna State should be separated and renamed Zaria State while the rest of the state is renamed Gurara State.

This should reduce dividing lines within the different regions.

The different regions (or geo-political zones) should then be given a reasonable level of autonomy to control their resources and handle issues dealing with Power, Roads, Water Supply, Education and Health issues specifically.

This suggestion may be modified or completely rejected depending on each Nairalander's view

YOUR SUGGESTION IS EXACTLY WHAT I RECOMMEND TO BE DONE. I dont see any reason for instance why whoever created Kogi State will bring Yorubas and other tribes that do not have anything in common and put them together in a state thereby creating a state that has so many DIFFERENT TRIBES THAT ARE IN NO WAY CULTURALLY, TRADITIONALLY, HISTORICALLY REMOTELY RELATED.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by AndreUweh(m): 1:52pm On May 01, 2010
Aba state creation movement has been old as state creations in Nigeria. Though some call it Enyimba state but what matters here is that it should be created.
This state when created will incorporate all the Ndoki people balkanised into Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Abia states together.
It will also include Obigbo and Omuma areas of Rivers state. I give full support for the creation of Aba state or Enyimba state.
Having said that, What Ndigbo need most is Njaba state. Though am not from that region but it is the most qualified.
Second is Anioma
Third is Aba.
4th is Adada or Nsukka state. But this one has only seven LGA's, so I doubt it.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by UcheUwadi(m): 2:08pm On May 01, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Aba state creation movement has been old as state creations in Nigeria. Though some call it Enyimba state but what matters here is that it should be created.
This state when created will incorporate all the Ndoki people balkanised into Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Abia states together.
It will also include Obigbo and Omuma areas of Rivers state. I give full support for the creation of Aba state or Enyimba state.
Having said that, What Ndigbo need most is Njaba state. Though am not from that region but it is the most qualified.
Second is Anioma
Third is Aba.
4th is Adada or Nsukka state. But this one has only seven LGA's, so I doubt it.

We do not need anymore states being created in Alaigbo. Maybe include Igbo speak areas within the states we currently have. We Igbos are already balkanized already, we do not need anymore balkanization.

At this time, we should be fighting to move back to regional governments, not the creation of more states. It is out of pure greed that people want more states.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 01, 2010
spicyhoney:

YOUR SUGGESTION IS EXACTLY WHAT I RECOMMEND TO BE DONE. I dont see any reason for instance why whoever created Kogi State will bring Yorubas and other tribes that do not have anything in common and put them together in a state thereby creating a state that has so many DIFFERENT TRIBES THAT ARE IN NO WAY CULTURALLY, TRADITIONALLY, HISTORICALLY REMOTELY RELATED.
point of correction.yoruba in kogi state and in places like auchi and akoko edo in edo ONLY speak yoruba but do not have any link whatsoever with the tribe.i asked a friend of mine who happened to be an ijaw man the origin of ijaw but he couldnt tell me instead,he claimed ondo state is an ijawland and not yorubas'.
If equality is to be adopted,then,all ethnic group ought to have a state of their own.state creation is product of ethnic distrust
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by udezue(m): 2:14pm On May 01, 2010
Chinyen,ngwa deserves no aba state right now. what is the excuse for your silly and misguided agitation? are u the only unique group of igbo around? the quicker we nip this nonsense in a bud the better. the people who deserve a state of their own or if not, to be merged with another igbo state are the anioma for obvious the obvious reasons not aba just because your overly clannish behinds see anything non-ngwa as not worthy enough to deal with. Instead of coming together you are promoting division all in the name of "i am pure ngwa". Do you think the rest of us are not aware of our uniqueness within the larger Igbo community? whether the term became widely fashionable to use to describe is nothing because it did not stop igbo groups from interacting. the aro settled in many parts of igbo land, ibibio land coz they are related to them. Amaobia is a town made up different igbo clans in anambra state.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 01, 2010
UcheUwadi_:

We do not need anymore states being created in Alaigbo. Maybe include Igbo speak areas within the states we currently have. We Igbos are already balkanized already, we do not need anymore balkanization.

At this time, we should be fighting to move back to regional governments, not the creation of more states. It is out of pure greed that people want more states.
this is what i 'm talking about.the so-called state creation was not made in a good intention.every minority group want to produce a state governor but nobody want good for the nation itself.before the creation of states by gowon,the regions were strong and more united than what we see today.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by fuke(m): 2:31pm On May 01, 2010
More states, more rubbish.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by AndreUweh(m): 2:38pm On May 01, 2010
Igbo people need more states to maintain parity.
What fed.govt can do at the moment is to create Njaba from the existing south east.
Create Anioma state from South South and zone to the south east.
Create Upland Rivers state and zone them with their Igbo brothers in the south east.
Alternatively an attempt to include Asa, Ndoki, Obigbo and Omuma people in Aba zone will be welcomed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

"Save Agatu" Protest In Abuja (Photos) / 2023: Tinubu Unfit For Presidency - Chukwuemeka Ezeife / Calabar Was Never The Capital Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.