Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,302 members, 7,829,708 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Reps Okay 10 New States - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Okay 10 New States (15595 Views)

The List Of New States To Be Created In Nigeria Approved By The CONFAB / House Of Reps Okay Gov. Jang’s ‘operation Rainbow'. / House Of Reps Okay's 10 New States + Ban Nigerian's In Diaspora From Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 5:14pm On May 02, 2010
I would go one step to predict that as long as Nigeria continues to create more states, Nigeria would NEVER implement resource control.

State creation is an indirect war against resource control. cool
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 02, 2010
kokoA:

Wow! I can't wait fou our Apa state.
sorry dude 'Apa' means hand.so you guys need a another name,please
Onlytruth:

I would go one step to predict that as long as Nigeria continues to create more states, Nigeria would NEVER implement resource control.

State creation is an indirect war against resource control. cool

this is exactly why i'm against this so-called state creation.it is a trick to divert attention of nigerians while politicians go on perfecting strategies to rig 2011 election and loot our treasury.nigerians need to wise up
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by UcheUwadi(m): 5:26pm On May 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

Our decentralized nature is not good if we want to survive in Nigeria, and by the way it is NOT chiseled on iron. Under Biafra, even non-Igbos created and identified with one identity. Though Ojukwu is from Anambra, to this day, he still enjoys love and loyalty in ALL parts of Igboland. You may not believe it, but if the federal government stays away from internal Igbo politics, we can actually create one identity and ensure common values like we had before and during the civil war. Which is why state creation is a war strategy. undecided  States will be created because it serves a strategic goal -it divides people. Which is manifested in our argument and disagreements on this thread.  If you can pause and actually think, you would realize that state creation is NOT a good thing even for the Igbo subgroup in Ngwa land.

Thank you my Igbo brother for those very wise words. Our Ngwa brother needs to understand that division causes more problems for us since we still reside in Nigeria. Group cohesion is needed so that we can face outside threats. The Ngwa would not be able to prevent an invasion in their land without the support of their fellow Igbo brothers. Instead of these silly clan loyalties, we should be united along our ethnic group in order to face any external threat.

It is sad that our Ngwa brothers are trying to take a chapter from our Ikwerre cousins, who are now starting to realize the error of their ways.

I like to use the examples of Germany and China and how unity was achieved at all cost. Otto Von Bismark used the power of Prussia to subdue the other German speaking states. And China's first emperor, Qin Shi Huangdi  in 224 BC united all of the Han Speaking states and even streamlined the Chinese language that we see today. Because prior to unification, the Chinese language had a lot of differences, just like we Igbos have a vast differences in the dialects of our language.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by kokoA(m): 5:30pm On May 02, 2010
Apa state for sure!
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 5:31pm On May 02, 2010
Okay, so we're in agreement then. There should be no reason why you all should throw a hissy fit because I don't see my identity as being synonymous with yours.

As for making it in Nigeria, we can do that without forceful "oneness". Treat our collective "Igbo identities" as a multi-group agreement (as it should be), rather than a one-group initiative (forced annexation), and I can almost guarantee you that things would be a lot smoother.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2010
UcheUwadi, maybe you're not using your brain. . . Since when have the Ngwa wanted to disassociate and work without other Igbo? We simply don't see our identities as synonymous. That does not mean that we are planning to turn our backs on Igbo. Anyone who is familiar with the Ngwa knows that we are proud Igbo. Why is that so difficult for you all to grasp?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by sley4life(m): 5:42pm On May 02, 2010
another means to siphon money. Why 5 states in the North?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 5:43pm On May 02, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Okay, so we're in agreement then. There should be no reason why you all should throw a hissy fit because I don't see my identity as being synonymous with yours.

As for making it in Nigeria, we can do that without forceful "oneness". Treat our collective "Igbo identities" as a multi-group agreement (as it should be), rather than a one-group initiative (forced annexation), and I can almost guarantee you that things would be a lot smoother.

That is exactly what the Ralph Uwechue-led Ohanaeze Ndiigbo is trying to achieve. In his first days in office, Uwechue was really frustrated by the type of Igbo leadership in Ohanaeze. He almost lamented that the organization is a toothless bulldog unlike the Arewa. I'm sure he would have come to terms with what Ohanaeze is by now.

We will eventually get that "oneness" (we have to undecided), it doesn't have to be by force and it will likely not be by force. It will happen nevertheless. If Ohanaeze can't step up to the plate, MASSOB is already far along that line.
So Igbo unity is inevitable. MASSOB is even unifying the whole East sef undecided cool
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 5:49pm On May 02, 2010
Well I highly doubt that, Onlytruth, but never say never, I guess.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by CrudeOil2(m): 5:50pm On May 02, 2010
Gowon started all these states creation mess. He ruined this country in a bid to destabilize the eastern region.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 5:56pm On May 02, 2010
Crude Oil:

Gowon started all these states creation mess. He ruined this country in a bid to destabilize the eastern region.

Spot on bro!

I cannot say more than that! cool

Some folks here don't even know the origin of state creation and its true intent.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 5:57pm On May 02, 2010
Implement resource control today and state creation agitations will die a natural death. cool
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by kcblast(m): 6:00pm On May 02, 2010
If dats gonna make naija better,let dem do it  undecided
but i doubt dat angry angry angry
Damned motherfuckers**shiooo** angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by CrudeOil2(m): 6:04pm On May 02, 2010
I dont see the govt implementing a resource control law in Nigeria.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 6:07pm On May 02, 2010
States are the only option. It's the closest thing to resource control.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 6:09pm On May 02, 2010
Especially giving the centralized gov't.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 6:22pm On May 02, 2010
ChinenyeN:

States are the only option. It's the closest thing to resource control.

Actually, in the Nigerian context, they are OPPOSITE.
If any new state creation come with a requirement that the new state fund itself completely independent of the FG, Ngwa will not get a state ever. You know that.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 6:30pm On May 02, 2010
Hold on, Onlytruth, you didn't answer my question. Am I not entitled, as an Igbo, to identity with and be identified by my own group consciousness?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 6:32pm On May 02, 2010
Ok. . But is that the case? Are states required to fund themselves?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by sjeezy8: 6:34pm On May 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

Implement resource control today and state creation agitations will die a natural death. cool

I dont think so-

You cant have your cake and eat it too- either  you support state creation with Anioma being one or you are against it and against igbos in delta having their own state.

The way your talking is if resource control is a big thing in what determines state creation, if there was resource control anioma people would still want an anioma state.
but then again I see that youre talkin directly about nwga people.

~Bluetooth:

sorry dude 'Apa' means hand.so you guys need a another name,pleasethis is exactly why i'm against this so-called state creation.it is a trick to divert attention of nigerians while politicians go on perfecting strategies to rig 2011 election and loot our treasury.nigerians need to wise up

what about yorubas in the north who are marginalized and want their own yoruba state?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by sjeezy8: 6:45pm On May 02, 2010
the FG can create how many states they want and can even have resource control it still doessnt change the demographics of Nigeria.

whether resource control or not there will be people who want their own state even if it is TERRIBLE.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 6:46pm On May 02, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Hold on, Onlytruth, you didn't answer my question. Am I not entitled, as an Igbo, to identity with and be identified by my own group consciousness?

I thought I answered that already by highlighting my Nnewi affinity and pride. Every Igbo group is conscious of itself. What we are saying is that the larger Igbo group serves us better. Other ethnic groups in Nigeria (Yoruba for instance) have the same sub groups and sub group "consciousness", but you don't see them here trying to create separate ethnic group out of the bigger Yoruba group. Frankly I don't know of any ethnic group that can claim single consciousness without going out of their ways to achieve it through dint of hard work.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 6:49pm On May 02, 2010
sjeezy8:

the FG can create how many states they want and can even have resource control it still doessnt change the demographics of Nigeria.

whether resource control or not there will be people who want their own state even if it is TERRIBLE. 

If FG implement full resource control, about 70% of current states in Nigeria will die a natural death. They would have to merge or die off.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by sjeezy8: 6:52pm On May 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

If FG implement full resource control, about 70% of current states in Nigeria will die a natural death. They would have to merge or die off.

theres no such as dying off . . . the outcome will be that people will just leave those states, but they will definately still exist.

People want a state for their own ethnicity and dont care if its a terrible state.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 6:55pm On May 02, 2010
Okay. So there really should be no problem, then. You ought not be offended by my stance then. So there really was no reason for us to have had that discussion, since you understand that I am entitled, as an Igbo to simply just be loyal to Ngwa, then.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 6:57pm On May 02, 2010
We wasted bandwidth, arguing about what we apparently agree on.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by AndreUweh(m): 6:59pm On May 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

I thought I answered that already by highlighting my Nnewi affinity and pride. Every Igbo group is conscious of itself. What we are saying is that the larger Igbo group serves us better. Other ethnic groups in Nigeria (Yoruba for instance) have the same sub groups and sub group "consciousness", but you don't see them here trying to create separate ethnic group out of the bigger Yoruba group. Frankly I don't know of any ethnic group that can claim single consciousness without going out of their ways to achieve it through dint of hard work.

You are right. You hardly see Ijebus, Ekitis, Offas, Igbominas arguing like this. Some of this groups do not believe in Oduduwa till date, yet they do not project their groups in the same image as Ndigbo here.
Prior to 19th centuries, some groups such as the Ijebus will lock horns with any one who identifies them as Yorubas. Even around 18th century up to first half of 19th century, they fought constant wars amongst themselves. However, today, they are very proud Yoruba people. One of their sons-Awolowo has become the most celebrated Yoruba leader and not Ijebu leader.Ndigbo, please stop all this divisions.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by ChinenyeN(m): 6:59pm On May 02, 2010
What about my question as to whether or not states are required to soley fund themselves? Mind answering that?
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 7:07pm On May 02, 2010
ChinenyeN:

What about my question as to whether or not states are required to soley fund themselves? Mind answering that?

You should know that I am against state creation because it destroys something bigger and better. We can keep creating states and running to Abuja for funds, but don't cry when your child cannot speak Igbo (or Ngwa if you like), because he who pays the piper dictates the tunes. undecided
I know Nigerians are mostly lazy and cannot think of survival without Abuja hand outs, but I would rather struggle on my own without those hand outs, but retain something bigger and more precious. Today, some of the conducts of politicians in the south east is so arcane and weird. You find folks behaving like Hausa (eat today and don't worry about tomorrow undecided).
Life is much much much more than money and handouts. undecided
That other people are doing it does not mean the Igbo must do it too.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 7:09pm On May 02, 2010
^^^
That is why I tied in autarky to merit based state creation. In a land of sane people, you would not create a state that cannot fund itself.
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 02, 2010
ChinenyeN:

what if each region is made a power bloc with its own premiere and develop as their own pace with their resources and a little support from the central govt.i think that would be better as opposed to this state creation
Re: Reps Okay 10 New States by Onlytruth(m): 7:12pm On May 02, 2010
That is why Nigeria is a poor country today. The system is only consuming and not creating. It is an unfortunate system.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Calabar Was Never The Capital Of Nigeria / ‘Buhari Was Briefed Before Shiite Clampdown’ - Islamic Movement In Nigeria / Ondo: South-West PDP Loyal To Sheriff Heads To Supreme Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.