Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,970 members, 7,814,282 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? (14136 Views)

The Difference Between Grace For Salvation And Grace For The Saved / Prayer Of Thanksgiving And Mercy For The Month Of July. / Grace And Our Offerings As Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by rottennaija(m): 2:27pm On Mar 11, 2018
beetown:

so you're saying no one can really make heaven because God's law are hard to obey?

You miss the point. Try reading romans chapters 1 to 3. Then you will see it. God's law, the Ten commandment are perfect, they are basic laws you can find in every country. But what the apostles referred to was the mosaic law, expanded by the pharisees to include about 600 prohibitions, called the Talmud

This was what was the burden to people (Acts 15:10), it was the burden Jesus often accused the pharisees of using to weigh people down. It included things like hand washing, sabbath, circumcision, what a person can and can't do in the sabath etc.

This was what Jesus achieved in taking it away. Only two laws were his followers to obey. Love of God and Love of neighbors.

As you may have noticed in Ro 3:20, the people couldn't keep up with the laws, they couldn't be right with God through keeping of these laws. That is why, with having faith in Jesus and being baptized, anyone is declared right with God and will have everlasting life. Such was the grace of God.

In today's church and religious organizations, the churches or organizations have taken over the place of the pharisees in setting up new laws and it is based on this law that members are judge to be righteous or not. They are basically turning the hand of the clock to the time the pharisees held authority before Jesus.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by beetown(m): 2:33pm On Mar 11, 2018
rottennaija:

You miss the point. Try reading romans chapters 1 to 3. Then you will see it. God's law, the Ten commandment are perfect, they are basic laws you can find in every country. But what the apostles referred to was the mosaic law, expanded by the pharisees to include about 600 prohibitions, called the Talmud

This was what was the burden to people (Acts 15:10), it was the burden Jesus often accused the pharisees of using to weigh people down. It included things like hand washing, sabbath, circumcision, what a person can and can't do in the sabath etc.

This was what Jesus achieved in taking it away. Only two laws were his followers to obey. Love of God and Love of neighbors.

As you may have noticed in Ro 3:20, the people couldn't keep up with the laws, they couldn't be right with God through keeping of these laws. That is why, with having faith in Jesus and being baptized, anyone is declared right with God and will have everlasting life. Such was the grace of God.

In today's church and religious organizations, the churches or organizations have taken over the place of the pharisees in setting up new laws and it is based on this law that members are judge to be righteous or not. They are basically turning the hand of the clock to the time the pharisees held authority before Jesus.
wow sir.... this is the best piece I've read all day.
Thanks to you, everything is clear to me now.

more fire to your furnace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by MMADE(m): 3:09pm On Mar 11, 2018
Simply put, Grace is getting what you do not deserve while Mercy is not getting what you deserve. For example, a sinner receive MERCY from the punishment of the sins he/she should ideally be punished for. While for grace, God'd GRACE is sufficient for you where/when you are limited.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by rottennaija(m): 3:51pm On Mar 11, 2018
beetown:

wow sir.... this is the best piece I've read all day.
Thanks to you, everything is clear to me now.

more fire to your furnace

Thanks too. I didn't know of it until recently. It was like I was learning something new.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by mightiepluz(m): 4:18pm On Mar 11, 2018
Mercy precedes Grace! It is the mercy of God that qualifies one for his grace!!
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Moinoni123(m): 4:34pm On Mar 11, 2018
CuteMadridista:
Grace and Mercy are different

Grace is the girl I lost my virginity to while Mercy is my 5th girlfriend
SAVAGE
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by igirabata123(m): 6:31pm On Mar 11, 2018
Grace is fat and dark, mercy is slim and chocolate.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by jwals: 9:05pm On Mar 11, 2018
For great and effectual door is open unto us, but their are many adversaries, MERCY OPENS A DOOR OF OPPORTUNITY, GRACE KEEPS THE DOOR OPEN
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by awoluyi(m): 9:20pm On Mar 11, 2018
It's very unfortunate that many Nigerian christians do not have basic knowledge of things that are fundamental and upon which their faith is expected to be built.
Things like justice, mercy and grace should be well understood before professing being a christian.
Justice is getting what we deserve.
Mercy is being SPARED what we deserve.
Grace is being given what we do not deserve.
The grace (undeserving free gift) emphasized in New Testament is God giving His Son on behalf of undeserving sinners. See Jn3:16.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Tpresh(f): 10:10pm On Mar 11, 2018
hush15:

Lemme help you rephrase that,

Mercy is more like forgiveness while grace in layman language is unmerited favor...

grin

Lolss, thankss
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Osezua: 10:13pm On Mar 11, 2018
Mercy and grace are often confused. While the terms have similar meanings, grace and mercy are not the same. To summarize the difference: mercy is God not punishing us as our sins deserve, and grace is God blessing us despite the fact that we do not deserve it. Mercy is deliverance from judgment. Grace is extending kindness to the unworthy.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by 400billionman: 9:00am On Mar 13, 2018
lonikit:
yes, grace and mercy belong to same semantic field but they are slightly different.
from the biblical view: grace has out ruled law in the new testament. we can nw go to God any time any day which was not so in the old time. we now live by grace.

mercy is having compassion on somebody. when u deserved to be punished but u are pardoned. that mercy.

mercy is superior to grace. mercy brings grace.
Grace is bigger, involves Favour** long life "" riches blessings" succeeding where others fail.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Kobojunkie: 2:58am On Nov 22, 2023
beetown:
■ i was in first service this morning and my pastor preached from Romans 3:20-24 emphasizing so much on the Grace of God, saying it was the greatest gift God has given to man even greater than His mercies. So Nairalanders, is there any difference between God's grace and His tender mercies?
The grace of God we receive in the person of Jesus Christ is the Eternal Life which He gifts to each and everyone who becomes born-again- born of water(The new Fountain of Living Water) AND born of Spirit(of Eternal Life).

God's mercy is however God's kindness which God pours out daily on all of mankind, irrespective of belief or leaning.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Kobojunkie: 3:12am On Nov 22, 2023
Unionised:
Grace - even though you are living in sin, I will continue to love you and overlook them and bless you on this earth.
Mercy - when you turn to me, I will forgive you. Because without My forgiveness (mercy) you cannot enter My Presence or heaven.
I am afraid these are merely religious lies with no bearing whatsoever in Scripture. undecided
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Kobojunkie: 2:12pm On Nov 22, 2023
lonikit:
yes, grace and mercy belong to same semantic field but they are slightly different.
from the biblical view: grace has out ruled law in the new testament. we can nw go to God any time any day which was not so in the old time. we now live by grace.
■ mercy is having compassion on somebody. when u deserved to be punished but u are pardoned. that mercy. mercy is superior to grace. mercy brings grace
There is no truth to the statement in bold as God's servants in the Old were equally able to speak to God anytime any day. undecided

2. This statement is also not true..God's mercy is not a pardon of any kind. Rather it is a kindness even to those already condemned scheduled to die by God. undecided
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by MightySparrow: 7:15am On Nov 23, 2023
beetown:
i was in first service this morning and my pastor preached from Romans 3:20-24 emphasizing so much on the Grace of God, saying it was the greatest gift God has given to man even greater than His mercies.

So Nairalanders, is there any difference between God's grace and His tender mercies?

Grace is an all encompassing thing. It brings all the God's disposition to man.

God's nature is holy.
Holiness means the knowledge, wisdom, the justice, purity,

When man fell, God had to reach to man. Man could no longer reach God in his deplorable state.

Grace on one hand means divine positioning and on the other hand, divine enablement.

So grace is larger has these: ,

Mercy is overlooking flaws; empathy, putting one into your shoes ( reason Jesus came to identify with us, calling us brothers); compassion,; willingness to help,; goodness , showing us the bright side of judgment, pardon; favour, pleasant disposition; compassion, seeing our helplessness.

Because God cannot deny His qualities, especially, justice, he designed grace to help.
The most seemingly potent part of grace is mercy. But mercy is a part of grace not the other way round.

Moses asked for grace, God responded with all of these and defined them.
Exodus 33: 15 - end.
Study this passage.

Grace be multiplied unto you.
Amen.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:18am On Nov 23, 2023
They are both related the slight difference is that GRACE (undeserved kindness) is for all humans while MERCY is for those who were once worshiping God faithful but fell into sin due to imperfection.

So GRACE is what all humans had as God gave His only begotten Son for us all while we were yet sinners but MERCY is for servants of God who already knew God's standard and failed to live up to it due to imperfection.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by orisa37: 5:53pm On Nov 23, 2023
GRACE IS IN BUILT IN US IN CHRIST JESUS.
MERCY IS POWER, MIGHT, SECURITY AND SAFETY SHOWERED ON US IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by orisa37: 5:59pm On Nov 23, 2023
GRACE IS IN BUILT IN US IN CHRIST JESUS.
MERCY IS POWER, MIGHT, SECURITY AND SAFETY SHOWERED ON US IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

U.S UK AND ISRAEL ARE USING THE GRACE OF THE LORD IN GAZA(OMEGA).
AND NETANYAHU IS HAVING GOD'S MERCY TO DESTROY THE WICKEDNESS OF HAMAS.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

British Agency Clears WINNERS CHAPEL Of N3.4bn Allegation / “ GEJ To Bankrupt Nigeria” Sermon: Police Looking For Pastor Bakare / Why Do Sinners Immediately Go To Hell, But Satan And Demons Are Not There Yet ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.