Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? (14132 Views)

The Difference Between Grace For Salvation And Grace For The Saved / Prayer Of Thanksgiving And Mercy For The Month Of July. / Grace And Our Offerings As Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by beetown(m): 10:23am On Mar 11, 2018
lastchild:
Mercy is the punishment we deserve which was not given to us while grace is what we don't deserve that was given to us

why is Grace not the same for everyone??
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Gentledammie(m): 10:25am On Mar 11, 2018
lonikit:
yes, grace and mercy belong to same semantic field but they are slightly different.
from the biblical view: grace has out ruled law in the new testament. we can nw go to God any time any day which was not so in the old time. we now live by grace.

mercy is having compassion on somebody. when u deserved to be punished but u are pardoned. that mercy.

Grace brings about mercy!!!
mercy is superior to grace. mercy brings grace.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 11, 2018
When you have God's grace, you are covered and some things you do will be overlooked by God because grace is covering you.

When God have mercy on you, he has compassion and he forgive your sin.

I prefer grace to mercy.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by izombie(m): 10:33am On Mar 11, 2018
Your pastor is right @op. When someone has grace, everything just happens for you. You don't even need to ask God for his mercy or favour because you already have them. Grace summarily means unmerited favour.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Theomarvelus(m): 10:40am On Mar 11, 2018
in a nutshell, Grace is the key that open mercy, by HIS grace you are alive and for you been alive you are entitle to some outstanding mercy that makes you totaly different among your friend and family
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by amstamon: 11:05am On Mar 11, 2018
Apostlenathan1:
"GRACE" means God giving you what you don't deserve.

While

"MERCY" means God not giving you what you deserve.
Mercy " God not giving you The consequences or the punishment you deserve you mean?

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by awoluyi(m): 11:28am On Mar 11, 2018
beetown:

Grace is open and the same for whosoever is ready for it. See John 3:16.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Robisky001(m): 11:43am On Mar 11, 2018
Grace is an unmerited God's favour while Mercy is an extension of love.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by alanka(f): 11:44am On Mar 11, 2018
What i know be say, in the beginning there was no grace because everybody was fine to get what he deserved. Nobody wanted to get what he did not deserve therefore there was no reason for grace. JESUS CAME AND BEGGED FOR GRACE I CREATED IT FOR HIM

In the beginning there was no mercy, everyone was fine and perfect, they all followed the rules and trillions of years no sorrows, no fight, no disobedience because i did not give anything that would cause trouble chance. JESUS BEGGED FOR MARCY I CREATED IT FOR HIM

HE BEG FOR GRACE AND MERCY BELIEVING WITH THAT HE COULD SAVE YOU.

NOW HE KNOWS YOU ARE NOT SAVEABLE

HE WOULD ACCOUNT FOR IT ALL
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by omega2128(m): 11:58am On Mar 11, 2018
in my own opinion, it's like say borrow and lend. same action but position differentiate them. we receive GRACE from God, grace comes from God only, we carry out no deed to receive it but MERCY is based on human action. many people in Bible called for mercy but nobody ever calls out for Grace.
many received their mercy through Jesus because price had been paid, they are called children but only one person received grace. woman with the sick child. Jesus told her that mercy is not for her but for the children but her faith seek grace. something she ought not to receive in the first place.

Yoruba calls mercy :anu
while grace is called: Ore ofe, it's free. no price is paid for it
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by femtoj2: 12:07pm On Mar 11, 2018
Grace and Mercy are not same although they look alike.

Grace is already prepare package for All but it your choice and decision to access and subscribe for same 2 Corinthians12 vs 9 says...
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”

Mercy is released by God choices and decision. It has no known requirement to receive same.

Romans 9vs 15&16
For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by daviefm(m): 12:07pm On Mar 11, 2018
Breezzy:
GRACE is a supernatural GIFT. as for MERCY hmmm Lord have mercy for I am a sinner probably gonna sin again Lord forgive me
AS IF I KNOW U WAN USE STYLE SING 'BITCH DON'T KILL MY VIBE' BY KENDRICK LAMAR

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Oracle16(m): 12:11pm On Mar 11, 2018
Apostlenathan1:
"GRACE" means God giving you what you don't deserve.

While

"MERCY" means God not giving you what you deserve.

Perfect! Grace is God giving us the blessings we don't deserve, while

Mercy is God not giving us the punishment we deserve.

Nice one.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by rezzy: 12:14pm On Mar 11, 2018
Following
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Tmercy(m): 12:23pm On Mar 11, 2018
beetown:
i was in first service this morning and my pastor preached from Romans 3:20-24 emphasizing so much on the Grace of God, saying it was the greatest gift God has given to man even greater than His mercies.

So Nairalanders, is there any difference between God's grace and His tender mercies?
Mercy sustains where Grace has been exhausted
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by toye440: 12:25pm On Mar 11, 2018
in simple terms; Grace: God giving u the good u don't deserve. Mercy: God taking away the evil u deserve. As simple as ABC.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by mollymotion(m): 12:32pm On Mar 11, 2018
Grace is divine enable things u cant do u see urself doing them at ease from God while Mercy is God's forgiveness.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Igba123: 12:53pm On Mar 11, 2018
beetown:
i was in first service this morning and my pastor preached from Romans 3:20-24 emphasizing so much on the Grace of God, saying it was the greatest gift God has given to man even greater than His mercies.

So Nairalanders, is there any difference between God's grace and His tender mercies?
it is not greater dan mercy but they are two sides of same coin.
Mercy holds back from us d punishment we deserve(forgiveness) while grace gives us d salvation we never deserve. In light of above explaination which is greater? None. We need both to b what we are; God's children.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by GreatrAnalyst: 12:54pm On Mar 11, 2018
femtoj2:
Grace and Mercy are not same although they look alike.

Grace is already prepare package for All but it your choice and decision to access and subscribe for same 2 Corinthians12 vs 9 says...
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”

Mercy is released by God choices and decision. It has no known requirement to receive same.

Romans 9vs 15&16
For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

Good one. At least someone used Scriptures to justify explanation. Most comments are based on individual's perception.
Two are related, but not same.
Mercy is known much in Old Testament, while grace becomes known and revealed much in New Testament according to John 1:17, Jesus brought grace, this was why it wasn't truly known in the Old Testament.

But again, mercy which couldn't be easily accessed in the Old Testament became more accessible through Jesus Who brought grace to whoever who will be willing to receive grace, as it is written that we should come boldly to the throne of grace that we might obtain mercy, Hebrews 4:16;

Grace through Jesus introduced us to God's mercy. Grace works to save us through salvation, for mercy to deliver us from judgement as it is written that mercy rejoices over judgement, James 2:13; and by His mercy we are not consumed. Lam. 3:22

They work together.
And I believe there is more to them than we may know.
Thank God for His mercies and grace
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Breezzy(m): 1:03pm On Mar 11, 2018
daviefm:

AS IF I KNOW U WAN USE STYLE SING 'BITCH DON'T KILL MY VIBE' BY KENDRICK LAMAR
na so bro
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by larryclemperfec(m): 1:03pm On Mar 11, 2018
lonikit:
yes, grace and mercy belong to same semantic field but they are slightly different.
from the biblical view: grace has out ruled law in the new testament. we can nw go to God any time any day which was not so in the old time. we now live by grace.

mercy is having compassion on somebody. when u deserved to be punished but u are pardoned. that mercy.

mercy is superior to grace. mercy brings grace.
Mercy can never be superior to Grace, Grace is a person i.e Jesus John 1:14.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by shomorindotun(m): 1:04pm On Mar 11, 2018
Mercy start it and deliver the opportunity but grace finish it all.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by beetown(m): 1:11pm On Mar 11, 2018
Igba123:
it is not greater dan mercy but they are two sides of same coin.
Mercy holds back from us d punishment we deserve(forgiveness) while grace gives us d salvation we never deserve. In light of above explaination which is greater? None. We need both to b what we are; God's children.

i like this explanation....shows that there's a difference between the two but they're equal

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by terrezo2002(m): 1:18pm On Mar 11, 2018
It was the mercy of God that brought grace.
Grace is an unmerited favour received from God. It is the gift of God received at the expense of Christ.
So before grace comes mercy. For it is the Mercies of God that makes us enjoy God's love which grace is part of.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by larryclemperfec(m): 1:18pm On Mar 11, 2018
[quote author=Tmercy post=65742878]Mercy sustains where Grace has been exhausted[/quote
Grace exhausted? That's not correct. Jesus himself is grace personified. CAN HE be exhausted? That's why he has not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. Every requirements of the law have been fulfilled by Jesus, so when you accept him and believe in him, you are automatically under grace. Mercy is what is shown to an offender. When you sin against God and you were not punished, you've just received mercy by GRACE (Jesus). Grace produces mercy. Even mercy can be shown to sinners through Grace since he doesn't want the death of a sinner but for all men to come to repentance.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Apostlenathan1(m): 1:44pm On Mar 11, 2018
amstamon:

Mercy " God not giving you The consequences or the punishment you deserve you mean?

Yes sir
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by hysteriabox(m): 1:50pm On Mar 11, 2018
Mercy is not getting what you deserve
Grace is getting what you don't deserve

Gbam
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by colp2015: 1:53pm On Mar 11, 2018
Mercy is an aspect of grace. It: is pardon for a crime or sin

Grace, in a broader sense, is enabling power.

Mercy reconciles man and God, while grace enables the recipent live a godly life.

In God's kingdom, there are three dimensions to the work of grace:

1. Induces character in keeping with godliness.

2. Grants access to revelation knowledge.

3. Makes divine power available for service.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by lastchild: 1:55pm On Mar 11, 2018
beetown:

I don't understand what you mean by that, elaborate plz
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by Lightening: 1:58pm On Mar 11, 2018
beetown:

Grace - Receiving what you neither deserved for worked for free.

Mercy - Not being punished for a wrong done that deserves a punishment.
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by femi4: 2:01pm On Mar 11, 2018
beetown:

Grace is for sinners, before you think you are righteous, no one was righteous cos all have sinned.
The grace that save you from lies is the same grace that save an armed robber

Mercy of God is always available for a sinner that's ready to repent
Re: What's The Difference Between Grace And Mercy? by beetown(m): 2:07pm On Mar 11, 2018
lastchild:
I don't understand what you mean by that, elaborate plz

some people are saying it's more for the sinners and less for the ones who are saved already

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? / T.B Joshua Predicted The Nigeria Floods / Why Do Sinners Immediately Go To Hell, But Satan And Demons Are Not There Yet ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.