Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,102 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T (1735 Views)

Cobbler Returns Painter's Lost N200k, Says "I Do Am For Allah" / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Oluwo Of Iwo All Swagged Up, Says "I Got The Right Dose Of Swags" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by ariesbull: 6:34am On Mar 13, 2018
America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, says.. "I AM VERY HAPPY TO BE OF IGBO DESCENT AND LOVE #AKACHUKWU AS MY TRIBAL NAME. �

By Lawrence Patterson

DNA tested last December with NO CLUE of my African roots just like most descendents of enslaved Africans. I received my results before my 35th birthday in January. I used Ancestry's autosomal DNA test because I wanted to know my entire genetic makeup and I loved the fact that it matches you with relatives through DNA.. Since then, I've found cousins that I haven't seen in years.. While scrolling through matches, I started to encounter cousins with foreign names.. I messaged them and through conversation found out they were Igbo. It all made sense! My family were slaves in Virginia initially and the Igbos were unfortunately the majority of enslaved Africans... I quickly came to the realization that the majority of my ancestors whom I respect were from Biafra.. I've met 5 distant Igbo cousins hailing from Anambra, Imo and Abia state.. They all live in the U.S. minus one who lives in London. I've been a soldier my entire adult life(17 years)... I felt a deep pain learning about the 1967 war. I'm here to learn about my lost culture and one day visit AND contribute to Igboland.. I would like to believe my ancestors will look down upon me favorably for that... I'm VERY proud to be of Igbo descent...

The Republican News

4 Likes

Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by shortgun(m): 6:41am On Mar 13, 2018
Welcome home Brother, you are indeed a son of the Sun.
A warrior's head is never lost in a foreign land.
May the gods of our fathers direct you and other brothers back to the land of the rising Sun.
iseeeee.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by ameri9ja: 6:53am On Mar 13, 2018
I'm very proud of u too, my stolen Igbo brother.

1 Like

Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by Zaikon(m): 7:08am On Mar 13, 2018
Hhmmmm I can't just....
Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by ariesbull: 7:34am On Mar 13, 2018
dannyville2:
Where is Biafra? What is a Biafra? BTW, I saw nnambdi cownu queing up to withdraw the money fg bought him with. Afterall all cows have prices

Why are you guys so insecure ...why

This morning you wake up with insecurities...how can you make it with this attitude

3 Likes

Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by TheKingdom: 4:51pm On Mar 13, 2018
ariesbull:
America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, says.. "I AM VERY HAPPY TO BE OF IGBO DESCENT AND LOVE #AKACHUKWU AS MY TRIBAL NAME. �

By Lawrence Patterson

DNA tested last December with NO CLUE of my African roots just like most descendents of enslaved Africans. I received my results before my 35th birthday in January. I used Ancestry's autosomal DNA test because I wanted to know my entire genetic makeup and I loved the fact that it matches you with relatives through DNA.. Since then, I've found cousins that I haven't seen in years.. While scrolling through matches, I started to encounter cousins with foreign names.. I messaged them and through conversation found out they were Igbo. It all made sense! My family were slaves in Virginia initially and the Igbos were unfortunately the majority of enslaved Africans... I quickly came to the realization that the majority of my ancestors whom I respect were from Biafra.. I've met 5 distant Igbo cousins hailing from Anambra, Imo and Abia state.. They all live in the U.S. minus one who lives in London. I've been a soldier my entire adult life(17 years)... I felt a deep pain learning about the 1967 war. I'm here to learn about my lost culture and one day visit AND contribute to Igboland.. I would like to believe my ancestors will look down upon me favorably for that... I'm VERY proud to be of Igbo descent...

The Republican News

Thanks for being proud unlike some bearing Igbo/Biafran names and disassociating themselves with their own people or movements.

Igbo amaka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cfZEY3R6Io
Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by Nobody: 3:28am On Mar 23, 2018
Awesome.
Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by IGBOMRS: 1:26pm On Mar 23, 2018
Make I correct our new igbo brother. Igbos were not the most enslaved people. we igbos refuse to be enslaved and in Igbo Landing, we choose suicide in river rather than be enslaved. It is central africa that have most slaves
Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by khiaa(f): 11:17am On Mar 25, 2018
IGBOMRS:

Make I correct our new Igbo brother. Igbos were not the most enslaved people. we Igbos refuse to be enslaved and in Igbo Landing, we choose suicide in a river rather than be enslaved. It is central Africa that has most slaves

You're wrong, the suicide mission was from one voyage and one ship, there were many, many voyages after that and many Igbo's were enslaved, and yes Igbo's were the most sold into slavery to America.

2 Likes

Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by Blackfire(m): 3:58pm On Mar 28, 2018
Weldone soldier...

Knowing your root gives u alot of insight.

But i keep wondering which tribe lil wayne ,tupac, biggie and 50cent will be.
Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by drips8(m): 7:21pm On Mar 28, 2018
Blackfire:
Weldone soldier...

Knowing your root gives u alot of insight.

But i keep wondering which tribe lil wayne ,tupac, biggie and 50cent will be.

tupac had Tuareg(Sudan)

biggie and 50 cent are jamaican

don't know about lil Wayne tho
Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by Nobody: 11:29pm On Mar 30, 2018
shortgun:
Welcome home Brother, you are indeed a son of the Sun.
A warrior's head is never lost in a foreign land.
May the gods of our fathers direct you and other brothers back to the land of the rising Sun.
iseeeee.

I appreciate you welcoming him "home", and love that he isn't ashamed of his ancestry.
Question for you though.
Would you guys truly be willing to accept Black Americans back home...like the Ghanaians do?
Or would there be some huge problems?
Could both people co-exist?
Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by shortgun(m): 12:24am On Mar 31, 2018
Mobilia:

I appreciate you welcoming him "home", and love that he isn't ashamed of his ancestry.
Question for you though.
Would you guys truly be willing to accept Black Americans back home...like the Ghanaians do?
Or would there be some huge problems?
Could both people co-exist?

Blood they say is thicker than water.
We will be willing to receive our kinsmen and unite them with them with our community.
This is not the 1st time this is happening, you need to see d funfair,gun salutes and celebrations in our land whenever people like this comes back home.
Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by Nobody: 1:22am On Mar 31, 2018
shortgun:

Blood they say is thicker than water.
We will be willing to receive our kinsmen and unite them with them with our community.
This is not the 1st time this is happening, you need to see d funfair,gun salutes and celebrations in our land whenever people like this comes back home.

That's awesome....and nice to know. Black Americans, Black Islanders and Black Africans are the same people.
Love hearing this smiley

1 Like

Re: America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:33pm On Apr 01, 2018
FB_IMG_1522356622815 by Frank Obi, on Flickr

vllkyt6f8e6stq8up.1aaff493

(1) (Reply)

Who Are The Mokole? / Strange And Fascinating Courtship Traditions Around The World / Need A Wife? Go To Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.