Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,345 members, 7,829,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Donald Duke Quits PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Donald Duke Quits PDP (2061 Views)

Ex-Nigerian Ambassador To The UK Dr. Dalhatu Tafida Quits PDP - Sahara Reporters / Marwa Quits Pdp…may Return To APC / Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Donald Duke Quits PDP by DisGuy: 3:22am On May 01, 2010
With the 2011 general elections looming,  the former governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke has resigned from the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, preparatory for the launch of his much rumoured presidential campaign on the platform of another party.

Citing among other reasons for the decision, Duke said the PDP had become “dysfunctional, unable to articulate a road map and lead Nigerians on a clear and concise path to national renewal.”
In his resignation letter dated April 29 and addressed to the Cross River State chairman of the party, Duke said: “When in 1998, we came together and forged a vehicle destined (as we thought at the time) to carry forward our beloved country’s hopes and dreams, there was a sense of being on the cusp of something that would endure. That has not proved to be the case.”

He regretted that PDP rather than building a robust and people-oriented party, “what has endured has been a lack of commitment to the purpose and focus of the founding fathers of the party and our country, which has emasculated the PDP.”
Duke continued: “Faithfulness and favour have been dissipated by a seamless stream of internecine factional warfare.”
He acknowledged that with his departure from the party, he would be leaving behind friends, “many with whom I shared sincerity of purpose but, regrettably, no longer share commonality of purpose.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by DisGuy: 3:23am On May 01, 2010
“I shall always be mindful to speak the truth of our circumstances and our condition,” he said.
Following Duke’s resignation from the PDP, the former governor has suddenly become a beautiful political bride with opposition parties including the Action Congress, Labour Party and the Mega Party Movement intensifying efforts and wooing him to join their respective parties.

It is not known which party Duke will finally pitch his tent with but it was reliably gathered that he would likely join the Labour Party where he hopes to build a “bottom-up grassroots movement to confront the 2011 presidential question.”
Duke was a two-term governor of Cross River State under the platform of PDP and played prominent roles in shaping the party during its teething stage.

However, in the last few years after leaving office, he has become highly disenchanted with goings-on within the party and has been quite critical of the way the party has managed its successes since the return to civil rule in 1999.
Duke’s major angst with the PDP is its unwritten agreement to zone and rotate the presidency between the North and South geo-political zones.

In 2006, his quest to become the party’s flag-bearer was truncated by the party’s last minute decision to zone the presidency to the North forcing him and others from the South to withdraw from the race.
His decision to again throw his hat into the ring is believed to be another chance to challenge the unconstitutional zoning arrangement given fillip by the chairman of the PDP, Vincent Ogbulafor who said the 2011 presidential slot will be retained by the North.

Although there is no official indication as to when he may officially declare his presidential ambition, it was authoritatively gathered that Duke has intensified surreptitious grassroot mobilisation across the country to prepare the grounds for the launch of his presidential ambition by the middle of the month.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by DisGuy: 3:26am On May 01, 2010
Thisday

Saw it coming,

what's the difference between AC, Labour and  Mega Party cant they all just come together instead of playing local champions in their backyard?
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Omolulu(m): 3:26am On May 01, 2010
Lets get REAAAAAADYYYY to

RUMMMMMMMMMBBBBLLEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

2011 wouldnt be funny, PDP should prepare for the loss of states
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by sjeezy8: 3:27am On May 01, 2010
Dis Guy:

Thisday

Saw it coming,

what's the difference between AC, Labour and Mega Party cant they all just come together instead of playing local champions in their backyard?

LB and AC had an alliance in the previous election, so its possible they might again.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by otokx(m): 3:32am On May 01, 2010
He has just made a big mistake.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by DisGuy: 3:41am On May 01, 2010
Depending on how the new party behaves, PDP can lose their big grip in the south,

otoks you dey try o, you blog is still going strong!!!

the chaplain was not too happy that people went to kiss the chair Adeboye sat on when he stood up.
shocked shocked
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by walata44(m): 7:04am On May 01, 2010
He has just made a big mistake.

Mistake for what? If a man is not power hungry, why qiuting a party that has no developmental vision is a mistake to you? If I may get you right Atiku is your hero.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by stormm: 7:57am On May 01, 2010
Good one Donald.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by 9ja4eva: 7:59am On May 01, 2010
I like this.

Goodluck to follow
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 10:02am On May 01, 2010
I WILL VOTE FOR THAT BROTHER ANY TIME ANY WHERE, OH SHIT, I REMEMBER MY VOTE DOESNT COUNT, THIS STILL NIGERIA
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by LoveKing(m): 10:13am On May 01, 2010
This gonna be old news tommorrow. Lets enjoy it while it last.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by KnowAll(m): 10:30am On May 01, 2010
[size=14pt]I am not sure whether I would vote for him, on one hand if u vote for him, u would see our infrastructural liabilities sorted out to some extent, but on a closer and a candid examination of the cons,  our country could be in a more precarious state than Greece after 4 years of Duke's Gung-ho Presidency.

Do we really need this kind of negative growth not really. Talk of a country or a regime punching above its weight  [/size]
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by vigasimple(m): 10:34am On May 01, 2010
IBB said that 'the youth cannot lead Nigeria'

He was talking about historical pattern of apathy among the youth. Donald Duke came out following our suggestion that he should pull out of PDP, now we are saying he can't do it?

It is either we want to take charge of our own future or we allow the past like IBB to do it for us. And since IBB knows that he has few more years to live on the face of the earth, why should he cares what he left behind. Remember the nonsense he left after 'stepping aside' in 1993.

Since he 'step aside'  in 1993 things has marginally improve under OBJ then comes YAR A'CLUELESS, now it went properly sick with Nigeria.

Maradona now wants to 'step back in' because the youth cannot look at someone like Donald Duke and say that he is the future.

Nigeria we hail thee.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by KunleOshob(m): 10:50am On May 01, 2010
Saw this coming grin infact i have been eagerly anticipating this news grin next he officially declares for presidency facing a dis-organized an fractionalized PDP grin after electoral reforms that would minimize rigging grin With God behind him victory is certain and we can look forward to building a great future for our great country. For more on how you can participate in The Duke Revolution, visit http://www.donalddukeorganisation.org/
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by KnowAll(m): 10:59am On May 01, 2010
[size=14pt]Put against IBB, I don't need a soothsayer to even tell me who I should vote for, I would choose Duke over IBB anyday even if I know the results of the elections b4 casting my vote. IBB belongs to another age and era and should by now be extinct like the dinosours, removed completly from the Nigerian Lexicon. But Duke then on the other hand in the land of the Blind, the one eyed man is King.[/size]
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by yemmight(m): 12:24pm On May 01, 2010
Donald, one of those few good candidates. I hope he goes to the right party.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 01, 2010
A vote for Duke is a wasted vote.

I consider him intelligent, pragmatic and quite foppish but with little or no real political clout.
I'm sorry this guy can't match IBB.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by SkyBlue1: 12:45pm On May 01, 2010
OMO IBO:

I consider him intelligent, pragmatic and quite foppish but with little or no real political clout.

That kind of thinking is also one of the reasons why good people never get into power. You can along with many I might add, accept that they are the better candidate but would not go and cast your vote for them come election day, then later come online and complain the country is bad the country is bad?? When would people start voting their conscience?
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 01, 2010
Sky Blue:

That kind of thinking is also one of the reasons why good people never get into power. You can along with many I might add, accept that they are the better candidate but would not go and cast your vote for them come election day, then later come online and complain the country is bad the country is bad?? When would people start voting their conscience?
You think IBB needs your vote to win an election?
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by SkyBlue1: 12:50pm On May 01, 2010
OMO IBO:

You think IBB needs your vote to win an election?

"You might as well not pay taxes since the money is going to be stolen anyway" reasoning. I think I see where this is going so I won't even bother. Don't vote next elections and keep on complaining about how bad leadership is, don't pay your taxes and keep on complaining how poor the infrastructure is; don't pay light bills because NEPA doesn't give you light anyway, and keep complaining that there is no power smiley
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by yemmight(m): 12:51pm On May 01, 2010
OMO IBO:

IBB is not getting anywhere I beg.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 01, 2010
IBB has no real political clout

Most of the noise about IBB's clout is a myth and has never really been tested and because he keeps quiting when he is about to be demystified.

Watch IBB will quit again because OBJ is showing clear signs that he is not willing to back IBB. And trust me without a unified political establishment especially the ones that matter behind IBB he will not contest.

Because he knows the automatic outcome. FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!!

IBB I know will rather chicken out than fail at the polls.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 01, 2010
yemmight:

IBB is not getting anywhere I beg.
Majority of Nigerians hope so too.

Sky Blue:

"You might as well not pay taxes since the money is going to be stolen anyway" reasoning. I think I see where this is going so I won't even bother. Don't vote next elections and keep on complaining about how bad leadership is, don't pay your taxes and keep on complaining how poor the infrastructure is; don't pay light bills because NEPA doesn't give you light anyway, and keep complaining that there is no power smiley
Dude, don't get me wrong.
I am not in support of IBB or any of rapscallions we have in Nigeria but we know people like Duke have a very long way to go in Nigerian politics. And if you are going against the likes of IBB you better come good.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by KnowAll(m): 1:12pm On May 01, 2010
Duke might not be the best candidate in the land,  but then he could be the best amongst a bunch of lameducks, Who in his right mind would choose a beat up old beetle to a brand new Mercedes E- Class. The comparision between IBB and Duke is as far as the North Pole is to the South pole. There is power in Numbers since nobody would choose a beat up old car to a new one,whole communities,Towns,LG's and Cities should be mobilized en-masse in rejecting IBB's Candidacy for a much more younger and verile candidate like Duke.  Already the mobilization has started in earnest and IBB by the day is turning into a pariah.

Like I said earlier, Duke would never be my first choice when picthed amongst equals but on a head to head with IBB he takes my vote and a whole swarth of younger Nigerian votes.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 01, 2010
Donald Duke should start now and raise the level of the game. (It is not impossible to unsit the PDP)

It is difficult to build a credible grass-roots movements within 6 months.

This is why I am concerned that Donald has not even started work.

He has not even identified a base.

Labour Party will be good but he should form a base with workers, graduate professionals, students and use this base to carry his message to everyone else in rural areas and markets.

He has not started this and for this reason I am frustrated.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by DisGuy: 8:09pm On May 01, 2010
He is looking for a party that will do all that for him,

Atiku went to AC with supporters, business supporters and political heavyweights and foot soldiers ready to switch alliance immediately there's a way

Buhari moves about with loyal supporters, political heavyweight, traditional rulers

Donald Duke skates about with his iPhone, International degree and supporters that wont vote! they'll set up facebook pages though its only 5 clicks afterall
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by otokx(m): 8:20pm On May 01, 2010
You will soon hear that this guy is the running mate of IBB; it is then all of you will start shouting. Running mate or not; this guy has nothing to offer.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 14, 2010
ha
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by olabukola: 3:50pm On May 14, 2010
@Mikeansy

You support the "good work" of GJ at the same time you want Donald Duke to unseat him come 2011. Is that not double standard? where exactly do you belong. I don't understand Nigerians at times.
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 14, 2010
The Duke! He certainly doesn't fit in the PDP. Such a bedazzling figure. Handsome in appearance. Handsome in manners. Handsome in the spoken word. Handsome in ideas. Handsome in ideals. Handsome in deed. Handsome indeed!

If only we'd have free and fair elections, and with a well planned campaign, I think he stands a fair chance to charm his way to the presidency. With his colour and candour, there is no doubting the fact that he is the closest thing we have to an Obama.

If only the barbaric and primodial 'establishment' would permit. . .good things would surely sprout out of this man's presidency. In any case he'll surely get my vote!
Re: Donald Duke Quits PDP by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 14, 2010
olabukola:

@Mikeansy

You support the "good work" of GJ at the same time you want Donald Duke to unseat him come 2011. Is that not double standard? where exactly do you belong. I don't understand Nigerians at times.

I guess you don't understand the difference between chosing between situations in the world as it is right now and voting for an Ideal leader come 2011.

While it is fair to say Jonathan is an improvement on Yar'adua. He is not necessarily a great President.

The coalition around Jonathan is a coalition to uphold truth and Nigerian constitution. It has nothing to do with Jonathan's leadership quality.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Efcc Re-arraigns Audu Over N5bn Scam / Boko Haram's Letter To Kano People / Pope Benedict XVI Resigns Papacy, Converts To Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.