Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! (27055 Views)

Dear Ex-classmates / Who Can Help Me In Translating This Pidgin English To Correct English? / Success Storms Delta Pidgin Radio Station, Drops #DemGoFlogDemGoTire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by BruncleZuma: 3:53pm On Mar 18, 2018
Sirambassador:

Buhari why grin

grin grin grin grin
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Iscoalarcon: 4:41pm On Mar 18, 2018
adidison:

Haba mallam! How pidgin language no common for North? Relax baba! Even people from Northern Cameroon, Niger and Chad speak pidgin well. The whole Nigeria just like the warri pidgin english that's why he was a celeb student.

Northern pidgin just still has the northern accent
chillax bro what I'm saying is that it is not as common in The north as it is in the south cool
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by farouk0403(m): 4:42pm On Mar 18, 2018
Fuckingmallam45:

Nigeria 1970

Thanks
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Nowenuse: 4:45pm On Mar 18, 2018
LordOfNaira:

Forget it, pidgin English is what it is, substandard English. No one has an official language that is a corruption of another language.

Who told you this wrong fact?

Don't you know that Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French etc were all pidgin language forms of Latin language? They have become world languages today.

In Haiti, Haitian creole (a pidgin form of french) is an official language. There are many countries with creole dialects as official languages. Don't be ignorant.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by 1930revival(m): 5:01pm On Mar 18, 2018
internationalman:
What are you saying OP?

Pidgin English doesn't have correction that's why we love it. No fear of embarrassment.

It only has two rules...

1 If you claim to speak it better, you are only diverting to pure English.

2 The more badly you speak it the better you are at speaking it.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Yyeske(m): 5:11pm On Mar 18, 2018
Nowenuse:

Who told you this wrong fact?

Don't you know that Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French etc were all pidgin language forms of Latin language? They have become world languages today.

In Haiti, Haitian creole (a pidgin form of french) is an official language. There are many countries with creole dialects as official languages. Don't be ignorant.
You are right to an extent but but remember that a creole is different from pidgin.
Pidgin is a language developed by speakers of two or more different languages for simple communication while retaining their original native languages as we have in Nigeria and that is why we still have native speakers of Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, Urhobo, Hausa etc speaking pidgin but they still retain the ability to communicate in their various native languages. This is common among the first and second generation of the pidgin speakers.
A creole develops when the pidgin is now so mixed up and nobody can speak any native language except the pidgin, imagine Nigerians speaking only pidgin at home with their parents at home, place of work, their grandparents and not understanding a word of Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Hausa, Urhobo etc but we only speak pidgin as our local language. This is what is obtainable in Haiti, Sierra Leone and some other countries.
Spanish, French, Italian you sited were first pidgins of Latin before becoming creoles and finally defined different languages as we know today.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Mar 18, 2018
EsotericMonk:
Its called PIDGIN because it has no rules. Nigerians just like to complicate simple things and sound smarter than they really are.
Even the normal engish language, we would rather use a higher sounding symonym compared to the English man who would use simpler words. Very soon schools and tutorial centres would spring up for learning pidgin.

I beg even if e no get rules, e get the way wey some illeterate people go speak am wey no dey make sense.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:18pm On Mar 18, 2018
internationalman:

listen that's not pidgin English..
that's Jennifer trying to speak pure English..
oga I said it before. I have never never watched Jennifer's diary. If it looks like sth from the play, it is purely coincidental. I was trying to prove a point to someone who said pidgin has no rules and that the more terrible the English sounds, the better it is as pidgin.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Mar 18, 2018
Xda59:

I beg even if e no get rules, e get the way wey some illeterate people go speak am wey no dey make sense.
I can relate broh, buh that's not limited to the illiterates, infact the learned ones speak worse pidgin.
The quality of pidgin a person speaks is determined by the level of exposure to pidgin environment.
Another factor I observed is that those whose predominant language is their native language speak worse pidgin esp yorubas and Hausas.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by saamebaba: 6:30pm On Mar 18, 2018
Even England striker.. Jarmie Vardy want learn the Language... him dey always gbadun as his Nigerian teammate dey yarn the language
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by saamebaba: 6:32pm On Mar 18, 2018
Even England striker.. Jarmie Vardy want learn the Language... him dey always gbadun as his Nigerian teammate dey yarn the language
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by iamclime(m): 7:02pm On Mar 18, 2018
Nice writeup, Op! Let me just add that we're now moving towards Pidgin (West Africa) or West African Pidgin, if you like. This will make it easier for Nigerians, Beninoise, Togolese, Ghanaians, Cameroonians, etc to have a central Pidgin language. And to be really fluent in Pidgin, you must be able to speak, read, and write. Na so the matter be.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by olatunjithomas(m): 8:30pm On Mar 18, 2018
ortakida:

Let me bust your bubble. Read this:

"If I catch my husband dey sexing with another woman, what I do him?"

That's a combination of Jenifa's English ("What I do him"wink and pure wrong use of Pidgin English ("sexing"wink.

If you SERIOUSLY dare speak this one outside people go laff you die.

if I grab my Bobo for outside dey gbege or dey kolobi another woman... Na die him dey so ooo...

I dey yarn you the matter as he dey hot

make you for no lost.....

make he for no cause yawa.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by chigoizie7(m): 8:52pm On Mar 18, 2018
My friend rukewe
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by JohnQueen(m): 8:52pm On Mar 18, 2018
God bless you for this OP. People nor know say pidgin get rules to follow otherwise we wia sabi go just rule you out altogether say you nor sabi speak English. Wehdone jare
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by supaNOVAE(m): 8:57pm On Mar 18, 2018
We have to give it up for waffarians when it comes to speaking pidgin warri pidgin accent is tha bomb can't trade it with anything in this world

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by sheubaba2013: 9:07pm On Mar 18, 2018
Warri pidgin remains the best ever. Area! We position. Warri no dey worry.
It's Sheubaba on the beat
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Nowenuse: 11:35pm On Mar 18, 2018
Yyeske:
You are right to an extent but but remember that a creole is different from pidgin.
Pidgin is a language developed by speakers of two or more different languages for simple communication while retaining their original native languages as we have in Nigeria and that is why we still have native speakers of Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, Urhobo, Hausa etc speaking pidgin but they still retain the ability to communicate in their various native languages. This is common among the first and second generation of the pidgin speakers.
A creole develops when the pidgin is now so mixed up and nobody can speak any native language except the pidgin, imagine Nigerians speaking only pidgin at home with their parents at home, place of work, their grandparents and not understanding a word of Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Hausa, Urhobo etc but we only speak pidgin as our local language. This is what is obtainable in Haiti, Sierra Leone and some other countries.
Spanish, French, Italian you sited were first pidgins of Latin before becoming creoles and finally defined different languages as we know today.

I very well understand you. The simple reason why most Caribbean countries developed creole languages was simply because they lost their own languages during the slave trade.
Have you heard of TOK PISIN? It is a pidgin language which became a creole not too long ago as it displaced native languages, spoken in New Papua Guinea. It has official status over there, even while it was not yet a creole.

With the way Pidgin is going in the South-south especially, it may displace native languages very soon if frantic efforts are not taken as most of the younger generation are like first language pidgin speakers.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Yyeske(m): 1:12am On Mar 19, 2018
Nowenuse:

I very well understand you. The simple reason why most Caribbean countries developed creole languages was simply because they lost their own languages during the slave trade.
Have you heard of TOK PISIN? It is a pidgin language which became a creole not too long ago as it displaced native languages, spoken in New Papua Guinea. It has official status over there, even while it was not yet a creole.

With the way Pidgin is going in the South-south especially, it may displace native languages very soon if frantic efforts are not taken as most of the younger generation are like first language pidgin speakers.
You are absolutely correct.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Sinistami(m): 9:29am On May 22, 2018
ortakida:

Let me bust your bubble. Read this:

"If I catch my husband dey sexing with another woman, what I do him?"

That's a combination of Jenifa's English ("What I do him"wink and pure wrong use of Pidgin English ("sexing"wink.

If you SERIOUSLY dare speak this one outside people go laff you die.

OP your head geh oil. Di tin bi seh Nigerdeltans nai go undastand wetin Yu de try yarn. MI as dem born me na pidgin na I first start yarn I no bin even know seh anything like English bin de sef plus P-men sef no teach me Ijaw Engenne or Epie dem native language. I've never Understood why people said it didn't have rules I can point out differentl grammatical errors when non native speakers speak it.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Sinistami(m): 10:17am On May 22, 2018
LordOfNaira:

Forget it, pidgin English is what it is, substandard English. No one has an official language that is a corruption of another language.

Bros Kpor well go read history. read the history of Spanish French Portuguese. they all evolved from Vulgar Latin a broken Substandard form of Latin. and look where they are now. I don't want to say too much but English is like the Latin of this age. during those times The Roman Empire was at its peak colonizing different lands with different cultures and languages the people spoke this vulgar Latin combining it with their native tongues. when the Roman Empire collapsed many of this languages and cultures of the many colonized lands had been displaced so their developed this vulgar Latin into different language which are now called the Romance languages. mind you Vulgar Latin differes just Like many Creole and pidgin differs across lands. like I bet if you hear somebody speaking Tok Pisin you wouldnt be able to understand the person no more than the other person could understand Naija Pidgin.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Sinistami(m): 10:27am On May 22, 2018
Yyeske:

Bro you're way back in time. Naija pidgin has already been creolized in the South South Nigerdelta in places like Warri Benin sapele Yenagoa Portharcourt Etc. And ur definition of a creole is misleading the real definition states that A creole is a pidgin which has acquired native speakers this happens when a child is born and it's first language is a pidgin what does it do it expands that pidgin into a language of its own giving it rules grammatical it's own accent. because now the pidgin is no longer under its parent language it's become it's own language the Crepe a natural language. that's the one we speak in the Nigerdelta. it's refined and different from the typical Nigerian own. the first place this happened was in Warri in delta state then Sapele, then Portharcourt then Benin, before Yenagoa which just recently started in the last 20years or so. Iam a proud native speaker of Pidgin Yeniz Yenagoa style. although Iam still trying to speak my parents language with no hope of learning it. and anyway here in the south we speak pidgin with our parents it's very common u make it seem like its a sacrilege. we've accepted it as our language for Betta or for worse.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Kanoute(m): 3:32pm On May 23, 2018
kingxsamz:
nice post.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Loluores: 9:05pm On Aug 06, 2018
OP, the word 'whining' is used as a noun there, so it doesn't count as far as using only the 'present tense' form of the verbs.

For a linguistic treatise on the Nigerian Pidgin, see the book by Nicholas Faraclas.

Who else loved the pidgin commentary of Russia 2018 World Cup? A demonstration simply outstanding!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

17 Things That May Cease To Exist In 2030 / HND And Third Class Students Can Study And Work In USA, Canada And Europe / ASUU Strike: What Is The Resolution Of The ASUU Chapter In Your School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.