Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! (27056 Views)

Dear Ex-classmates / Who Can Help Me In Translating This Pidgin English To Correct English? / Success Storms Delta Pidgin Radio Station, Drops #DemGoFlogDemGoTire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by farouk0403(m): 11:16am On Mar 18, 2018
horia:
did it originate from. You say?

Yea that's the question.

Ghana or Liberia
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by duwdu: 11:17am On Mar 18, 2018
sammytexy:
This Nigeria Ehnnnnn.

We been run commot English unto say rules plenty.
The pidgin wey dey save us dem still dey generate rules for am. cry cry cry cry

gringringrin

P34c3
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by emmyfizzy12(m): 11:19am On Mar 18, 2018
OP abeg sharply gimme ur pigin dico? which part of speech is that in pigin
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by ganie(m): 11:30am On Mar 18, 2018
Yoruba pidgin be like you wan help me fight no..... Se o fe bami ja ni cheesy grin
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by braimeddy: 11:56am On Mar 18, 2018
Seriously na that babe even make me dey enjoy the program sef wit do good himsef
ikechizoba:
Waffi pigin na the bomb,e dey scatter brain. That kevwe girl for MR DO GOOD series,wet them dey show for Africa magic ,that girl dey use pigin English mesmerize the viewers...

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by internationalman(m): 12:05pm On Mar 18, 2018
EsotericMonk:
Its called PIDGIN because it has no rules. Nigerians just like to complicate simple things and sound smarter than they really are.
Even the normal engish language, we would rather use a higher sounding symonym compared to the English man who would use simpler words. Very soon schools and tutorial centres would spring up for learning pidgin.
Exactly.... when I watch foreign movies they speak English as it comes naturally and simple..

But all Nigerians do is applying unnecessary grammar in a sentence with bad conjunction and past tense in places of presents tense and vise versa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by horia: 12:06pm On Mar 18, 2018
farouk0403:

Yea that's the question.

Ghana or Liberia
I think the people who were first thought English. Or?
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Warripikin08(m): 12:11pm On Mar 18, 2018
ikechizoba:
Waffi pigin na the bomb,e dey scatter brain. That kevwe girl for MR DO GOOD series,wet them dey show for Africa magic ,that girl dey use pigin English mesmerize the viewers...
d way that kevwe dey speak for Mr do good ehn she nor b like warri girl self she nor get warri accent
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by internationalman(m): 12:12pm On Mar 18, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
ah ah... But you concur say if e bad well well Na him better pass na
listen that's not pidgin English..
that's Jennifer trying to speak pure English..
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by TOMMYS: 12:18pm On Mar 18, 2018
[quote author=ortakida post=65936652]

pigin for Abuja here different o.
you see "baa"
you dey look me "baa"
as I see the girl "baa" I just like ham.

i dey tell them say "baa" no dey pigin. Dem no wan hear.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Warripikin08(m): 12:21pm On Mar 18, 2018
Hustle that Africa magic program, that guy named Ochuko that guy get thick warri accent.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Scepters(m): 12:27pm On Mar 18, 2018
2baba needs to see dis. bt b4 den
I have a dream that one day Pidgin English will be recognized globally and respected just as English language.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by mysticwarrior(m): 12:36pm On Mar 18, 2018
waffi pidgin English na first class and every one na counterfeit, we dey represent and na there we for no dey carry last, like we dey do am for kpoko FM for warri I troway salute to every warri pikin and say a very big kpokolicious kpoko to everybody wey dey speak the original standard language of my proud warri dialect, we remain the same and our teeth complete.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by donmatin(m): 12:46pm On Mar 18, 2018
ikechizoba:
she is good...i also enjoy Edosa,Pepstico and I miss abroad.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by wyzoe: 12:50pm On Mar 18, 2018
ortakida:
Do you know that Pidgin English is one of the most popular languages in the world? In Nigeria, it is spoken by at least 70 million people. In the South South region of Nigeria, it is the first language of a lot of people. Pidgin is also spoken in Ghana, Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Sierra Leone, and beyond.

Pidgin English is the most popular language used in Nigerian songs. At least 5 in every 6 Nigerian songs contain a fairly large amount of Pidgin. Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, the late famous musical legend, sang most of his songs in Pidgin. And he was still extremely popular!

At one point, Nigeria almost made the language one of its official languages.

Despite its popularity, a lot of people still get a lot of things wrong about Pidgin English. The main thing is that Pidgin also has its own basic rules too. And I share 3 of those basic rules below. But first, why is the language so darn popular?!

Why is Pidgin English So Popular?
The popularity of Pidgin English can be traced to its simplicity and usage. Although Pidgin is usually blended with local languages, it is somewhat easy to learn and understand if you can speak English.

This is the chief reason why Pidgin English became popular. It is a language that synthesizes English and other native languages to make communication easier. But it doesn’t mean it is extremely easy to speak though.

Over the years still, Pidgin English has evolved greatly. Speaking Pidgin English is not just about meshing two languages together for the sake of communication. Pidgin English now has its own form, its own structure and, yes, its own “grammatical errors”.

And lately, I found out that a lot of people don’t know this.

Sometimes I hear people say sentences in Pidgin English, and I’ll be like: “which kain Pidgin be this again?” That is not a joke; I get quite stupefied by how some sentences sound.

In the past, though, I had no idea what made them wrong. So I started checking.

Rules of Pidgin English
First Rule
While checking, I discovered the first rule of Pidgin English: Always speak in English present tense.

Let’s always keep in mind that Pidgin English is, hmmm, a “fork” (Github?) of the regular English language. And the most important thing that Pidgin English forked from regular English is present tense.

Pidgin English must always be spoken in present tense. Anything else just sounds plain wrong.

Here’s an example. “I dey cum now now.”

Translated to regular English, this is “I will soon be back”.

Other examples are: “Oga show quick”, “I don dey go oo”, “You don dey come?”, “You dey count money?” among others.

You can say these in several types of Pidgin you like, but they must always be in the present tense. Failure to observe this rule will let you make a fool of yourself. And that sucks.

This rule may not be fixed though, even though the language is so widely spoken and undocumented. The only word I can remember for now that breaks this rule is “whine”. You can say “Your whining don dey too much.” Its present continuous and it passes the first rule.

Second Rule
A second rule of Pidgin English is that you must use real words. For any word you use, make sure it exists in the English dictionary, exists in a local language or is slang. Anything outside of these is just damn wrong.

Words like wakaa, shege, collat, oga, padi, shebi, nna, abi, pesin, oyinbo, trafficate and others, may or may not be in the English dictionary. But we use them because they are either in our local languages or they are slangs.

Keep this rule in mind.

Third Rule
A third rule, or principle, in Pidgin English is that the language is very flexible, or rather, extendable. That is you can create your own words and if they go viral enough, then congratulations, you’ve invented a new word.

A word like “yori-yori”, was never in the popular Pidgin English dialect until the music group, Bracket, used it as the title of their popular song some years back.

“Science students” has always been there as a harmless phrase. But when Olamide used it as the title of his song, the phrase got a whole new meaning.

Shaku Shaku”, is another word that just went popular recently.

Bonus: There's also a very interesting principle that may or may not count. Pidgin English is usually spoken with an accent! And there are so many accents. For instance, you've got the Warri Pidgin accent, the Igbo pidgin accent and the regular Lagos pidgin accent.

A lot of people don't immediately realize how important this is, until they remember Warri jokes.

And I dare say that this is the hardest part about speaking Pidgin. The language get as eh dey roll for tongue, if you no grab am well eh go hard to speak.

Conclusion
So yeah, Pidgin English is alternative language. It is popular amongst illiterates. But it is also popular amongst business men, academics, presidents, wives of presidents (Patience Jonathan), and pretty much everybody that wants to broaden their communication outreach in West Africa.

But Pidgin English is not a silly language that can be spoken anyhow. It has evolved and now has its own form and maybe structure. Understanding the three basic rules above will help you understand how to speak and understand the language easily.

https://africanjotter.com.ng/pidgin-english-basic-rules/

Only your third point is valid and it contradicts the first two.
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Captain8(m): 12:54pm On Mar 18, 2018
I gbadu dis yarn no b smol o
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Captain8(m): 12:55pm On Mar 18, 2018
I dey gbadu dis yarn no b smol
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by lonlytroy(m): 12:56pm On Mar 18, 2018
They should just declare pigin english Nigeria official language since na zoo we dey
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by 2cute(m): 1:12pm On Mar 18, 2018
OP, you try nor be small. Thank you for the educate. Abeg take cold water:

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 18, 2018
donmatin:
she is good...i also enjoy Edosa,Pepstico and I miss abroad.

Lol..l miss abroad
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by prettyboi1(m): 1:39pm On Mar 18, 2018
The first rule of pidgin is that it is called "NIGERIAN PIDGIN", "NAIJA PIDGIN" or simply "PIDGIN" & not "pidgin English".
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Mar 18, 2018
Warripikin08:
d way that kevwe dey speak for Mr do good ehn she nor b like warri girl self she nor get warri accent

l didn't notice it sha but she sabi speak everything for pigin,even English wey go hard to turn to pigin,she dey speak am wella
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Nobody: 1:42pm On Mar 18, 2018
braimeddy:
Seriously na that babe even make me dey enjoy the program sef wit do good himsef

l dey tell you,adaku,etuk and edosa try too
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by writeamysas: 1:55pm On Mar 18, 2018
email me to get free paypal money adder software, i have bet9ja money adder software too as me more about it ................lets add money and spen away, money adding software for Bitcoin, money adding software for skrill account..... email me writeamysas@gmail.com and get your software today perfect money adder, ebay gift card generator................................email me today and get it free limited offer only......

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Sirambassador(m): 2:25pm On Mar 18, 2018
BruncleZuma:
Fuçk Off
Buhari why grin
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Sirambassador(m): 2:27pm On Mar 18, 2018
imstrong1:
And pidgin is the only language that the question means almost the same thing with the answer eg
Question:they don come?
Answer :they don come
Question:she clean house?
Answer :she clean house
Question:na you be this?
Answer :na me be this

Give this man one bottle of legend grin
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Sirambassador(m): 2:29pm On Mar 18, 2018
sammytexy:
This Nigeria Ehnnnnn.

We been run commot English unto say rules plenty.
The pidgin wey dey save us dem still dey generate rules for am. cry cry cry cry

As the matter dey turn laidis.... Na another language go soon enter... GBESE
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by adidison(m): 2:47pm On Mar 18, 2018
Iscoalarcon:
I remember when I was in SS1 there was a boy in our class when he is speaking in this pidgin almost all the class will gather around him just to listen to him speak. You know the pidgin language isn't common in the North except those Nyamiris doing business or soldiers. That boy is fluent in pidgin as Balewa is English and he has that warri accent. He was a celebrity student grin

Haba mallam! How pidgin language no common for North? Relax baba! Even people from Northern Cameroon, Niger and Chad speak pidgin well. The whole Nigeria just like the warri pidgin english that's why he was a celeb student.

Northern pidgin just still has the northern accent
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by adidison(m): 3:00pm On Mar 18, 2018
[quote
ortakida:

pigin for Abuja here different o.
you see "baa"
you dey look me "baa"
as I see the girl "baa" I just like ham.

i dey tell them say "baa" no dey pigin. Dem no wan hear.

Lol yeah that's Northern pidgin or "ko"
You see ko? Na so them dey do am ko?

But I think southern it's "en" or "o"
"You see en" "if I catch you en"

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Fuckingmallam45(m): 3:33pm On Mar 18, 2018
DrPurple:
Even The President Of Nigeria Sabi Pidgin...

#PURPLE
boss who no sabi pidgin
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Fuckingmallam45(m): 3:37pm On Mar 18, 2018
Kanoute:
Mr OP your head dey there.... E clear say you bad well for pidgin...I dey see the mistakes when some people dey speak am... Correct yarning... As na pidgin we dey talk about, I need flow for the language... cool
The word "WHEN" is pure English
Re: Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! by Fuckingmallam45(m): 3:39pm On Mar 18, 2018
farouk0403:
Where was pidgin English originated from?
Nigeria 1970

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: What Is The Resolution Of The ASUU Chapter In Your School? / HELP: How To Complete My I.T Log-book. / Latest Webometrics Ranking For Nigerian Universities July 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.