Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,806 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria (21034 Views)

Things I Found Out About Sweden! / Planning Of Relocating From North To The South West. / My Tour Round North West Nigeria.(completed).. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Hemanwel(m): 10:16am On Mar 19, 2018
OP, you are permitted to add Kwara to this your list for all we care! But when it comes to getting allocations from Abuja, we know where it belongs.

BTW:

I hope you also learnt mining activities over there? I mean, skull-mining activities.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by hermosa7: 10:16am On Mar 19, 2018
What's the colour code for cabs in Osun State?
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by SAMBARRY: 10:17am On Mar 19, 2018
Tribal bigots where art thy fury and venom

NO breakfast for you today to feast on tongue

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Ofemmanu1: 10:18am On Mar 19, 2018
You for inform us before you visit Lagos, you wouldda experienced the BEST of everything.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by debuscket(m): 10:20am On Mar 19, 2018
Nice one, however I must add these.

1. Ankara is like a general uniform especially among the youths, thanks to plenty parties each with its own material

2. Yorubas don't joke with their language, no matter how educated, travelled or exposed a yoruba person is, they must always speak their language (atimes unconsciously to a non-yoruba)

3. They are very superstitious and are mostly pantheists

4. Very very respectful

5. Yorubas generally don't know how to keep a secret

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by edogu(m): 10:20am On Mar 19, 2018
OBALORLA:

In a journey which started in 2017, when i started my travel expedition of the world starting out with south-west Nigeria, I have come to learn a lot traveling round these states by the interaction and subliminal immersion into their cultures and norms.

All these are in a bid to reveal the tourism potentials of the world to both locals and strangers in the most interesting way.

Here are the things I’ve learned from my travels around South west Nigeria and would want you to go through them to see if there’s any you can relate to.

(1) Components of the South Western region

In the real sense of it, 6 states basically make up the south-western Nigeria and they include: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo, but for the sake of this post, I’d like to add Kwara to the list for reasons best known to me.

(2) The People

The friends I made when I hiked up the mountains of Ado awaye

In case you think it’s a fluke, there are people here on earth who are ready to grill their eyes for you for dinner if that’s what you crave as a stranger. Guess what, a very tiny portion of these people reside in South west Nigeria. From the locals who took their time in showing me directions to the traders who’d voluntarily add extra to the things I buy, down to the hosts who joyously accommodate me and show me round town when I’m down on cash, I say a big thank you.

(3) Cab colours
Every state has a unique colour code for taxis.

Lagos

yellow and black

This was before the advent of ride hailing services like Uber and Taxify and the introduction of varying colours of taxis by the Lagos state government.

Oyo

Dark brown and cream

This used to be white and green until few years ago.

Ekiti

Green with 2 yellow stripes from bonnet to trunk.

Ondo

Blue on both sides with yellow from the bonnet to boot.

Kwara

Kwara state’s taxis have the highest number of colour combination: red, green, yellow and black.

Ogun

Green and two yellow stripes on each side.

(4) Traveling isn’t as Expensive as we think it is
Yeah, take that from me. It actually costs less than you think. On the average, it costs N2,000 to travel by bus from one state to another within south-western Nigeria. N7,000 to any Eastern and Northern state.
It costs on the average, N4,000 to sleep in a decent hotel and N0 if you have a host. Street food ranges from N20-N100. Accessing any tourist attraction on the average is N500 anywhere within Nigeria.

(5) Roads

The road which leads to Ikogosi warm and cold spring, Ekiti.

I Haven’t really traveled to other regions of the country but with what I’ve experienced so far, It’d be safe to say the road network is somewhat fair in the south-west region. And were I to choose the states with the best road condition, Osun will have to take my vote then Ekiti.

(6) Best tourist sites
It has to be firstly cleared that all the tourist destinations in south-west Nigeria have the potentials to be great if the government and citizens do their bits in improving the facilities and frequenting the sites respectively.

Idanre hills- 3,000 feet above sea level.

The destinations I’ve enlisted below are solely based on how well maintained and awesome they are. In no particular order, I present to you:

- Olumo rock
- Erin Ijesha
- Idanre Hills
- Badagry

(7) Travel time
It takes approximately 4 hours to travel from Lagos to any south-western state. Ogun is the closest to Lagos while Kwara is the farthest.

Have you any contributions? Drop it in the comment section.

Source: http://www.nomadicnegro.com/south-west-nigeria/

Lalasticlala help tame this snake
In the South East, I think it cost about 500 naira to move from Ebonyi to Enugu State, 800 to Anambra, 1500 Abia, 1500 to Imo. However, from Umuahia to Enugu, is between 800 to 1000; 500 to Owerri etc. My point? Travelling in the East is equally affordable!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by zeenaman: 10:23am On Mar 19, 2018
Nice job, but not detailed. Well done

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by dfrost: 10:24am On Mar 19, 2018
pinnket:
angry

I give it to Kwara state... The life in Ilorin is so cool and cheap... Transportation is as cheap as #50 and a very friendly environment too... The girls in Tanke Road are very good too (don't ask how I got to know)... I didn't regret staying there.!

OP, You forgot to add that they are good skull harvesters...!!

See wetin carry you come Ilorin, yeye dey smell. You no reach Taiwo Road?
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Redomi(m): 10:26am On Mar 19, 2018
I rep Ondo State. God bless PMB

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by zeenaman: 10:28am On Mar 19, 2018
debuscket:
Nice one, however I must add these.

1. Ankara is like a general uniform especially among the youths, thanks to plenty parties each with its own material

2. Yorubas don't joke with their language, no matter how educated, travelled or exposed a yoruba person is, they must always speak their language (atimes unconsciously to a non-yoruba)

3. They are very superstitious and are mostly pantheists

4. Very very respectful

5. Yorubas generally don't know how to keep a secret
You are quite on point, especially as regards ankara. They wear simply short sleeves without any designs. I think it's relative cheap to dress in ankara
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by baddosky1: 10:30am On Mar 19, 2018
conductorL5:
8. Yorba people are always wearing burial clothes.

9. They are predominantly skull miners cheesy cheesy

10. They are the leaders in "Open Defecation" in Nigeria

11. Ritual Killing and Assassination is like an embedded culture and norm

[img]https:///media/3-19-2018/PIQBTA.gif[/img]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OnyeOGA(m): 10:32am On Mar 19, 2018
edogu:

In the South East, I think it cost about 500 naira to move from Ebonyi to Enugu State, 800 to Anambra, 1500 Abia, 1500 to Imo. However, from Umuahia to Enugu, is between 800 to 1000; 500 to Owerri etc. My point? Travelling in the East is equally affordable!
true.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by zillonnair(m): 10:34am On Mar 19, 2018
OP nice work, but you really need to leave your comfort zone and see the East and the North. The North will wow you!

Start with Obudu Mountain, Mambilla - Gashaka Gumti, Kajuru Castle in Kaduna, Tinapa, Ogbunike Cave, Visit Enugu and you will know that Nigeria is truly blessed with abundant natural resources and tourist destinations.

Obudu and Mambilla is a must go, if you love hiking.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Firstpage: 11:00am On Mar 19, 2018
Hemanwel:
OP, you are permitted to add Kwara to this your list for all we care! But when it comes to getting allocations from Abuja, we know where it belongs.

BTW:

I hope you also learnt mining activities over there? I mean, skull-mining activities.

what do you mean? Is their allocation added to the east?

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 11:00am On Mar 19, 2018
zillonnair:
OP nice work, but you really need to leave your comfort zone and see the East and the North. The North will wow you!

Start with Obudu Mountain, Mambilla - Gashaka Gumti, Kajuru Castle in Kaduna, Tinapa, Ogbunike Cave, Visit Enugu and you will know that Nigeria is truly blessed with abundant natural resources and tourist destinations.

Obudu and Mambilla is a must go, if you love hiking.
mambilla is no more safe

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by LilSmith55(m): 11:00am On Mar 19, 2018
pinnket:
angry

I give it to Kwara state... The life in Ilorin is so cool and cheap... Transportation is as cheap as #50 and a very friendly environment too... The girls in Tanke Road are very good too (don't ask how I got to know)... I didn't regret staying there.!

Those Unilorin Girls.... For tanke reach Zango
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by olumbest(m): 11:02am On Mar 19, 2018
miqos02:
Cool @ op, how about "extra curricular activities" in the hotels?

LAPTOP HARD DRIVES AVAILABLE

80gb @3.5k
160gb @ 4.5k
250gb @ 5k
320gb @ 6.5k
500gb @ 9.5K
750gb @ 12k
1tb @ 15k

Have any quotes on Ram (2Gb)? It's an Amd processor.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Gkemz: 11:03am On Mar 19, 2018
How many skull mining industries did you discover. It's a thing of testimony for you to come back with your head after your touring. Check whether your private organs are complete.

Someone once said that after spending a year in that region eating ewedu and amala, he noticed a dramatic decrease in his height.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Olril18(m): 11:03am On Mar 19, 2018
conductorL5:
8. Yorba people are always wearing burial clothes.

9. They are predominantly skull miners cheesy cheesy
you are so daft..apodaa

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Ajalekoko76(m): 11:08am On Mar 19, 2018
Yoruba nation leads others follow....

God Bless Odua Republic

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 11:14am On Mar 19, 2018
ModsWillKillNL:
Good
@Obalorla
Some places in Ondo state are about 8 to 9 hours away from Lagos.
Yes, you are very correct. What I was however referring to was the average time it takes to travel from Lagos to any south-west state.
Ogun state for instance is about 45minutes to an hour while the likes of Kwara takes as much as 5 hours.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 11:27am On Mar 19, 2018
debolayinka:
When it comes to tourist sites, South West leads.
Not in the real sense of it. Every region in Nigeria is blessed somewhat equally in terms of tourism potentials.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by olumbest(m): 11:28am On Mar 19, 2018
pinnket:
angry

Osun state is also cool and cheap. #50 bike.
Only issue is that Yoruba speaking is necessary else, they'll hike the price of everything.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 11:33am On Mar 19, 2018
pinnket:
angry

I enjoyed my stay in Kwara as well. I however beg to disagree with your stance on westerners being skull harvesters. Even though undeniable is the fact that ritualists exist. Please don't be ignorant by acting according to hear-says.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 11:35am On Mar 19, 2018
hermosa7:
What's the colour code for cabs in Osun State?
Thanks for that!
Cabs aren't popular in Osun state as a major means of transportation. Instead, mini buses are used and they have no uniform colour.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Gaddafiyusf(m): 11:37am On Mar 19, 2018
Lagos to onisha is 7hr. How come.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by debolayinka(m): 11:51am On Mar 19, 2018
OBALORLA:

Not in the real sense of it. Every region in Nigeria is blessed somewhat equally in terms of tourism potentials.
True.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Chukazu: 12:03pm On Mar 19, 2018
Nice Job!

But not comprehensive enough, are you having a second part to this?

Because nothing was really said about different lifestyles and cultures

Nothing about their women in case someone wants to marry from there cool

What is bride price ?

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 12:14pm On Mar 19, 2018
Chukazu:
Nice Job!

But not comprehensive enough, are you having a second part to this?

Because nothing was really said about different lifestyles and cultures

Nothing about their women in case someone wants to marry from there cool

What is bride price ?

It's actually intended to be a summary as I usually put down every of my trip on my blog (www.nomadicnegro.com)
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by olumbest(m): 12:15pm On Mar 19, 2018
OBALORLA:

Thanks for that!
Cabs aren't popular in Osun state as a major means of transportation. Instead, mini buses are used and they have no uniform colour.

Korokpe, as they call it, is mostly blue.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Funkybabee(f): 12:23pm On Mar 19, 2018
Nice one

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Accident Involving Keke And Bus Leaves 2 Abraka Market Traders Unconscious -pics / 5 People You Meet At The Airport / Flood Sacks Ugwueke, Abia Community, 500 People Displaced (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.