Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Things I Found Out About Sweden! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things I Found Out About Sweden! (85180 Views)

Ikenna Nweke: I Declined 10% Of Money I Found In Japan / My Experience When I Moved To Sweden! / Do You Know Anything About Sweden Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:04am On Jul 19, 2023
Things I found out in Sweden.

• I paid commission to exchange my US dollars to Swedish krone! Foreign currency is actually not craved for here like we do in Africa

• Everyone is helpful, nice & kind. Can give up their food for you. Their social welfare system is the best in the world.

• It's a totally cashless economy here. Yes, you actually dont need a paper money. Everything is digitalized including buying anything!

• Everyone works. The bills are crazy so any krones is needed. The Swedes are naturally, big, brawny, smart and strong. So working hard is never a problem.

* Work resumes by 10 am here due to weather changes. I mean formal jobs, not non skilled jobs.

• During summer, the sun doesn't go down. Meaning, there's no night. You can get sick due to body adopting these time changes. My first night i Stockholm, i slept around 1am without knowing its that late.

• Its really stable here. Count your self lucky like me if you have access to Sweden, it takes a lot to get their papers! Their paper can straighten out some shits in your life. I am a testimony.

• Stockholm is an idea City to raise up a child as everything is cool, lovely and good! World class primary & secondary schooling FREE.

• Crime rate is really low. Yahoo, fraud or other social vices can not work here. You will be caught easily as there are traits to everything you do

• Swedes are normally thieves, they are the original Vikings or sea faring thieves of past, so to curb that natural trait to steal, the government has done a lot to ensure everything can be tranced, this gave rise to a cashless, contactless economy that has proved to very efficient! In order words, it has made the Swedes to be law abiding because off what use is it to steal when you know you will be caught? Well, their prison is better than most average homes in Africa!

• Transportation is relatively fixed. For 3.9$ (39SEK) you can get a ride on the bullet train to anywhere in Stockholm for 75minutes. No other fee applies.

• Beside Rent, food, anyone can survive in Stockholm without much of a deal! With a Salary of $3000 per month, you'd live like a king! Especially if you work remotely!

• You don't really need public transport/a car to move around city, except you are hopping from one island to another. A scooter or bicycle would be more helpful!

• Swedes are Innovative, they have customized bicycles to various roles in the house, or work.

• I prefer living in Stockholm than anywhere in USA or Canada.

• The gap between rich and poor is low compared to France or UK. Here the richest man might be that fellow riding an electric scooter, or drinking low beer with you in the pub.

• Most houses in Stockholm do not have physical keys... They use codes type into the door to open. So if you have no business there, you gat no reason

• Almost everyone drives a bicycle, or scooter to move from one place to another.

• Sweden is really expensive to live in, but has one of the highest quality of life you can imagine.

• Everyone drink tap water. It's squeaky clean & safe. pH value is almost 7.0 on the dot!

• I met several Nigerians, most of them left Italy to reside here. They're always preferred before other African nationalities.

• Nigerians here, as in Kigali keep the law.

432 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:09am On Jul 19, 2023
The most enjoyable way to explore Stockholm is on foot. The oldest part of the city, Gamla Stan, is extremely compact, and lots of Stockholm’s main sights are within a half-hour walk of that neighbour hood. To enjoy this walk around, just go to any Train Center, ask the booking officer to help you with a Map, off you go! Incredible sights awaits you!

144 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:14am On Jul 19, 2023
The tunnelbana (subway)
Stockholm’s tunnelbana, or T-bana, consists of three colour-coded lines. We have the RED, BLUE & GREEN Metro. Stations are marked at ground level with a large ‘T’ and are dotted around the city centre.

Train arrive every 10-15 minutes to pick people. Your train ticket is valid for 75 minutes. Even if you gat 30 seconds left, you can still use the ticket.

Inside the train, alway listen to the word "Vasta", what follows is the Train stop name.....

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:19am On Jul 19, 2023
Other means of moving around
Buses
For many journeys, especially if you’re heading out into the suburbs, buses are the best option. There are dozens of lines crisscrossing the city and the buses are generally clean and reliable, even when it’s snowing.

The buses also have an advantage over the metro in that they provide scenic views of the city. We particularly like route #55 from Kungsträdgården to Södra Station, which gives great views of the waterfront en route.

Trams
Trams only really serve Djurgården. There’s no subway service on the island so the trams provide a scenic alternative, linking central Sergels Torg with Waldemarsudde at the southern tip of Djurgården, passing a few excellent museums en route.

Ferries
Ferries are one of the joys of travelling around Stockholm, and there are three routes that are included on the SL network. Boats run from the city centre to the Stockholm archipelago, but there are also a couple of really useful city-centre lines that make it easy to hop between central islands.

Personally, i prefer the Bus for moving around as it gives you an wholesome view of the city

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:23am On Jul 19, 2023
The other part of Sweden that any new visitor might find challenging is that, the Swedish economy runs a contactless or cashless economy. So if you have been so used to paper money, your first two nights might be a bit challenging. I came with some USD, but to make some payments, i have to depend on the good will of a friend to make payments for me while i give him cash to deposit on his account.

For visitors who are only making a couple of journeys a day by public transport, the easiest way to pay is by contactless debit or credit card, which must be backed by Mastercard, Visa or American Express.

You can also use digital wallets such as Samsung Pay, Google Pay, Apple Pay and Fidesmo Pay.

The vast majority of stations on the tunnelbana (Subways) have automated barriers, while buses, boats and trams have a reader that you need to hold your card over as you climb aboard.

No one cheats anyone!

93 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:25am On Jul 19, 2023
SL travelcards
If you plan to make more than four journeys a day on public transport, you’re best off buying an SL travelcard.

These are available in 24-hour (165 SEK; 110 SEK for students, seniors and under-20s), 72-hour (330 SEK; 220 SEK for students, seniors and under-20s), seven-day (430 SEK; 290 SEK for students, seniors and under-20s) and 30-day versions (970 SEK; 650 SEK for students, seniors and under-20s).

The cards are valid from the first time you touch in on a card reader on your first journey.

Travel cards and single journey tickets can be bought via the app or an electronic smart card. The reusable green SL smart card costs 20 SEK, and can be bought through the SL App, at metro and commuter rail stations and at ticket agents around Stockholm.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:26am On Jul 19, 2023
People sleep a lot here! As the weather is cold and work time varies. Expect nobody to have your time please!

98 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:31am On Jul 19, 2023
This is one of the web app to book a bus ride

37 Likes

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:40am On Jul 19, 2023
The best way to get visas to Sweden and much of Schengen is no longer through Schooling, Covid-19 disrupted their economies hard. Its now through business, especially tech business! They will approve your visas sharp sharp.

They even have flexible working permits so entrepreneurs can come provide jobs for lots of people who came from a 3rd country, have work permits but no jobs. So in other words they are giving you papers so you can employ asylum seekers, graduates from universities who are mostly Africans or Indians. I know an east African Masters holder, doing a cleaning job. I shudder in horror. Well, that's what the city can provide though.

To survive and live like a king in Sweden, just have excellent IT Skills, have a remote job that pays you good. My dear, you will understand that Life is extremely good!

171 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 6:40am On Jul 19, 2023
Just read..... Dont send personal messages. Drop all msg here!

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by meobizy(f): 6:42am On Jul 19, 2023
Okay. Good to know.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by pansophist(m): 6:50am On Jul 19, 2023
Malmo is better in my opinion.

Just 30 mins away from Copenhagen, and it's warmer than Stockholm. Life in Malmo is also fabulous. it is lively and awesome.

And yes I agree with you. Sweden can straighten all the shit away from your life. If you have a legal residence there, then materially, you are set for life.

The things most people worry about have been taken care of. You will be paid to study, so you don't disturb yourself with hustle. Your rent paid for, with free healthcare, doesn't matter if your sickness needs 1M USD per month for medicine.

Safe, civilized, and beautiful., and exceptionally clean.

259 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by ify2016: 7:20am On Jul 19, 2023
Wow. I pray I find myself there one day

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 7:42am On Jul 19, 2023
With Resident Permit, hopping off to Copenhagen now & then is just a tiny issue.....
I cringe in amazement when people put Canada or rubbish UK as first choice. In my apartment, other EU citizens are rsuhing to the Scandinavia countries, even our fellow Africans in places like Italy, France, Belgium etc. Compared to Sweden or Norway or even Denmark, Only Germany make sense!

pansophist:

Just 30 mins away from Copenhagen, and it's warmer than Stockholm. Life in Malmo is also fabulous. it is lively and awesome.

And yes I agree with you. Sweden can straighten all the shit away from your life. If you have a legal residence there, then materially, you are set for life.

The things most people worry about have been taken care of. You will be paid to study, so you don't disturb yourself with hustle. Your rent paid for, with free healthcare, doesn't matter if your sickness needs 1M USD per month for medicine.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by CalmTravels: 7:44am On Jul 19, 2023
You will be amazed how most of the things you pray is actually provided for by govt here!

ify2016:
Wow. I pray I find myself there one day

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:53am On Jul 19, 2023
pansophist:

And funny enough some Nigerians were complaining the other day about how hard life is in Sweden. Fucking ungrateful lots

87 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by Tino2017(m): 8:50am On Jul 19, 2023
Following
Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by Astra101: 8:51am On Jul 19, 2023
How is night life there I mean clubbing and socializing with people. Are they racist?

Can one get a nice girlfriend easily?

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by BigDawsNet: 8:56am On Jul 19, 2023
CalmTravels:
Things I found out in Sweden.

• I paid commission to exchange my US dollars to Swedish krone! Foreign currency is actually not craved for here like we do in Africa

• Everyone is helpful, nice & kind. Can give up their food for you. Their social welfare system is the best in the world.

• It's a totally cashless economy here. Yes, you actually dont need a paper money. Everything is digitalized including buying anything!

• Everyone works. The bills are crazy so any krones is needed. The Swedes are naturally, big, brawny, smart and strong. So working hard is never a problem.

* Work resumes by 10 am here due to weather changes. I mean formal jobs, not non skilled jobs.

• During summer, the sun doesn't go down. Meaning, there's no night. You can get sick due to body adopting these time changes. My first night i Stockholm, i slept around 1am without knowing its that late.

• Its really stable here. Count your self lucky like me if you have access to Sweden, it takes a lot to get their papers! Their paper can straighten out some shits in your life. I am a testimony.

• Stockholm is an idea City to raise up a child as everything is cool, lovely and good! World class primary & secondary schooling FREE.

• Crime rate is really low. Yahoo, fraud or other social vices can not work here. You will be caught easily as there are traits to everything you do

• Swedes are normally thieves, they are the original Vikings or sea faring thieves of past, so to curb that natural trait to steal, the government has done a lot to ensure everything can be tranced, this gave rise to a cashless, contactless economy that has proved to very efficient! In order words, it has made the Swedes to be law abiding because off what use is it to steal when you know you will be caught? Well, their prison is better than most average homes in Africa!

• Transportation is relatively fixed. For 3.9$ (39SEK) you can get a ride on the bullet train to anywhere in Stockholm for 75minutes. No other fee applies.

• Beside Rent, food, anyone can survive in Stockholm without much of a deal! With a Salary of $3000 per month, you'd live like a king! Especially if you work remotely!

• You don't really need public transport/a car to move around city, except you are hopping from one island to another. A scooter or bicycle would be more helpful!

• Swedes are Innovative, they have customized bicycles to various roles in the house, or work.

• I prefer living in Stockholm than anywhere in USA or Canada.

• The gap between rich and poor is low compared to France or UK. Here the richest man might be that fellow riding an electric scooter, or drinking low beer with you in the pub.

• Most houses in Stockholm do not have physical keys... They use codes type into the door to open. So if you have no business there, you gat no reason

• Almost everyone drives a bicycle, or scooter to move from one place to another.

• Sweden is really expensive to live in, but has one of the highest quality of life you can imagine.

• Everyone drink tap water. It's squeaky clean & safe. pH value is almost 7.0 on the dot!

• I met several Nigerians, most of them left Italy to reside here. They're always preferred before other African nationalities.

• Nigerians here, as in Kigali keep the law.

Very nice

Can you survive and get job if you only speak English?
I hope people who feel UK and Canada is too expensive for studies can actually focus on sweden

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:26am On Jul 19, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Very nice

I hope people who feel UK and Canada is too expensive for studies can actually focus on sweden

Sweden is actually more expensive than the UK is study in and the visa is very difficult to get.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by kmaster007: 10:29am On Jul 19, 2023
How much you tak run am... What am I supposed to do first

8 Likes

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by mrcrabs(m): 11:16am On Jul 19, 2023
How is it for students who want to come over for studies, is it a good place to start life after studies , is the language barrier an issue and what about racism.

I really would appreciate your reply.

Thank you

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by 9japride(m): 11:24am On Jul 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

And funny enough some Nigerians were complaining the other day about how hard life is in Sweden. Fucking ungrateful lots
[/color][color=#006600]

Don't let beautiful pictures and stories fool you. Sweden is not that nice to foreigners.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:30am On Jul 19, 2023
9japride:
[/color][color=#006600]

Don't let beautiful pictures and stories fool you. Sweden is not that nice to foreigners.

Yes. Nigeria is great to Nigerians

118 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by Gerrard59(m): 11:32am On Jul 19, 2023
mrcrabs:
How is it for students who want to come over for studies, is it a good place to start life after studies , is the language barrier an issue and what about racism.

I really would appreciate your reply.

Thank you

Anytime I read the bold from Africans, esp Nigerians, I shake my head. People who trade in tribalism used it to flog other people who went to vote, exterminate communities because the indigenes are of a different ethnic group, and many more are suddenly worried about racism. Tribalism is way worse than racism because you both are of the same race aka share the same skin colour. The annoying thing about the tribalism is the privation bedevilling both people. People wey poverty don nack their head pass talking drum dey carry tribalism for head like gala. A South Korean and Japanese might have issues because of their histories, but both persons are citizens of rich countries. Somewhere in Africa, two people go get problem even if their ethnic groups never had one historically, but these people are both poor. Most of them inhale generator fumes for a living. Others don turn camel because of fuel at N700. Tomorrow, they want to japa and are bothered about racism.

Nansense!

As always, better to reside with racists in a prosperous land than live with tribalists in the world's poverty capital. If you must discriminate against others, ensure you're prosperous at global levels.

244 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by Gerrard59(m): 11:33am On Jul 19, 2023
9japride:
[/color][color=#006600]

Well, no Swede has entered a Norwegian village to slaughter more than 500 farmers. Yen yen yen, they are not nice to foreigners. Una dey nice to una selves? undecided

208 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by Gerrard59(m): 11:38am On Jul 19, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Very nice

That should be mainly in tech. But why survive when you can thrive by learning the language? Una go enter country where English is not spoken begin dey ask if one can survive with only English or complain say they don't know how to speak English. Una no read the country before una apply to am? Shey if the person learns Swedish, he or she can integrate fully and enjoy his/her stay?

BTW, Swedish universities are way more expensive than British or Candian counterparts. Similar to US levels. Scholarships are extremely competitive, and student visas are hard to come by. No be 90K Nigerians wey apply for one kind scholarship the other month? grin

They are even mulling laws to curtail migration because of wetin Arabs don cause for Stockholm. They are learning from their Danish brothers.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by dopedan(m): 11:40am On Jul 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Lol abi, as fuel don dey reach 650

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by Gerrard59(m): 11:40am On Jul 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Their major complaint was the language. Niggas migrated to where English is not spoken then began complaining that the natives don't speak English and everything is tied to the language. Did they return to Nigeria? Big Fat NO! angry

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by Maxxim: 11:41am On Jul 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by Squillionaire: 12:46pm On Jul 19, 2023
CalmTravels:
The most enjoyable way to explore Stockholm is on foot. The oldest part of the city, Gamla Stan, is extremely compact, and lots of Stockholm’s main sights are within a half-hour walk of that neighbour hood. To enjoy this walk around, just go to any Train Center, ask the booking officer to help you with a Map, off you go! Incredible sights awaits you!

Walking through Stockholm is a delight, especially the walk from Gamla Stan to skeppsholmen, along the waterfront all the way to the Royal Institute of Art.

7 Likes

Re: Things I Found Out About Sweden! by pansophist(m): 1:02pm On Jul 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Life is hard because Nigerians hardly integrate.

My problem with countries is never the culture, it's the natural factors. For example, Canada speaks English but I don't like it. Not because I want to integrate, but because it's too cold, too big, everything is too far, a car-dependent society, flying within and out of Canada is so far, etc.

But hardship? Sweden can never be hard. How is it hard? Even if it's hard, the high quality of life compensates for it. To each his own.

17 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Luxurious Suites In Yankari Game Reserve Bauchi State / The Beauty Of Abuja Airport Runway At Night As It Nears Completion / Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.