Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,223 members, 7,825,849 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! (5116 Views)

Peter Mutharika Accuses T.B Joshua Of Giving A Fake Prophecy / The Act Of 'giving To God' As Explained By Pastor E. A. Adeboye / My Best Praise, Thanks Giving And Worship Song What are Yours? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 1:29pm On May 04, 2010
- What is wrong in giving to a Man of God? I ask

- What is wrong in giving Offerings, when it is given as a means of appreciation?

- What is wrong in preaching prosperity?

- What if i pay my tithes to God thru' the church and still observe my obligations to giving to the poor and needy?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Why is the subject of tithing about the most controversial, when those who give come back with testimonies?

- Why would i stop giving when the instruction is from GOd, just because some MOGs buy metal-birds, and live in flower-cabins?

- Why is everyone who preaches giving tagged a thief?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Is giving a crime?

- Is prosperity a crime, when it is added after one's righteousness?

- If Prosperity was such a crime, why then did the bible give stories of prosperous men, knowing all scriptures are given by God and profitable for learning

- If prosperity was such a crime, why then did Jesus teach about giving, "give and it shall be given back to you, good measures. . . " ?

- If prosperity was such a crime, why then did Paul teach us to give, "God loves a cheerful giver" ?

- If prosperity was mundane, why would God provide it according to His riches in glory?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Are the antis really telling the truth about giving?

- Are the antis really not biaised?

- Are the antis really not sentimental?

- Who really are the hypocrites: the pros or the antis?

- Who really is telling the truth and spreading the true gospel: the pros or the antis

- Who really is honoring God and the lessons of giving: the hypocrites or the doers?

Matt 26:6-13

[list][li]Jesus signifies the Church[/li][/list]
6 While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper,

[list][li]The woman signifies those who give[/li][/list]
7 a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

[list][li]Disciples: KunleOshob, Ogajim, MavenBox(InesQor) Enigma, Jesoul, Ttalks, Alethiea, Nuclearboy et al[/li][/list]
8 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant."Why this waste?" they asked.
9 "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

[list][li]Jesus said: Tonye-t, Image123, anabel, Bobbyaf, Joagbaje, OOLADEGBU et al[/li][/list]
10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me.
11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Bearshare(m): 1:38pm On May 04, 2010
Tonye-t:

Disciples: KunleOshob, Ogajim, MavenBox(InesQor) Enigma, Jesoul, Ttalks, Alethiea, Nuclearboy et al

VS.

Jesus said: Tonye-t, Image123, anabel, Bobbyaf, Joagbaje, OOLADEGBU et al

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by JeSoul(f): 2:29pm On May 04, 2010
Tonye, I see your exams are over lol. I'm less inclined to tussle at the mo' . . . but if being a "hypocrit" is simply Tonye-speak for those who do not bend over to the 'gospel' of modern-day mOGs, then by all means, I and the others are staunch, unrepentant, die-hard and extremely proud hypocrits.
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by nuclearboy(m): 3:11pm On May 04, 2010
- Nothing is wrong with giving to a man of God (if it is not by trickery, fear based or emotionally motivated)
- Offerings and ^ (the line above) are the same EXCEPT to thieves looking for more ways to scam innocent gullible people
- Prosperity was NEVER preached by Jesus or His disciples. If you are following Him, where's your example from Him or the Apostles
- Deut 26 is very clear THAT tithes belong to the stranger, the needy, the widow AND the Levite (BECAUSE the levite has no source of
    income.) But the Scriptures destroyed your standpoint when it tells us that Jesus, a non-levite, Peter (same) and Paul (same)
    WORKED and NEVER COLLECTED TITHE from anybody. Please oppose this by showing where they preached tithe and collected it.

- Bill Gates, Oprah and King Fahd have greater testimonies - who do they pay tithe to?
- And you believe we don't have Bibles to read? Where does the command come from God except to be paid as outlined above? Liar!
- Because they preach it contrary to God's Word. I preach giving to the needy and no-one calls me a thief since I don't gain from that!

- Giving is a beautiful thing but does not include cash alone and is not to be directed towards jobless pastors only. Go find work
- Prosperity is fine, but not at the cost of another's happiness or lying against God or cajoling people for your pocket's benefit

- The Bible gives stories about all kinds of people (rich and poor). Why don't you preach Job' trials and the Apostles sufferings as doctrine?
- Jesus didn't say "Give unto rich pastors and it shall return to you". He said "GIVE". And He said when you bless the poor and clothe them
    and feed them, you feed HIM - so He felt they were more worthy. If you disagree, quote your Bible!
- Yes, God loves a cheerful giver. Pastors should start giving their possessions too, not taking from poorer people.
- Better read your Bible without sunshades colored with Naira notes. "Riches in Glory" on EARTH?  shocked Chei, see "christian" shocked

- The "antis" are saying what the Bible says - Tell us if the Bible is wrong or not
- Sure we're biased - We're biased FOR GOD and are on God's side. What are you doing standing against God?
- Sentimental? Yes! We know poor people need food, shelter, child fees and hospicare. We also know MOG's cannot enter more than one
    car at a time or sleep in more than one room. Plus, how can the disciples be greater than their master Jesus?

- Who was the hypocrite? - David who wanted to kill the guy who "stole" a poor man's only sheep to feed his guest or Nathan who told
    him he it was that had much yet wanted a poor man's inheritance and was wrong?
- The Bible's Gospel is about a Christian reaping his Labors on EARTH in Heaven. Your gospel is about dominion and cash on earth and its
    contrary to the Word of God. Who is right? You or God?
- This thread is about "profit for you" to you and "profit for God" to me! You tell me who has God in mind and honors Him!

Tonye-tithes,

2 Peter Chap 2 does not discuss tithing or earthly money so you likely never heard or read it. Do yourself a favor and read it. Enjoy your day!
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Nobody: 5:31pm On May 04, 2010
tithing - a modern-day avenue to rape the laity in the name of gawd.
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by KunleOshob(m): 5:57pm On May 04, 2010
Daft, useless and dubious thread posted by a hypocrite. angry
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Zikkyy(m): 6:27pm On May 04, 2010
Tonye-t:

[list][li]Disciples of Christ: KunleOshob, Ogajim, MavenBox(InesQor) Enigma, Jesoul, Ttalks, Alethiea, Nuclearboy et al[/li][/list]

Vs

[list][li]Jesus pastor said: Tonye-t, Image123, anabel, Bobbyaf, Joagbaje, OOLADEGBU et al[/li][/list]

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by nuclearboy(m): 8:02pm On May 04, 2010
Zikky wan kill me with laughter !

Mr Tithes:

I think you would have realised with the foregoing that Christians are awake now and tired of the lies and manipulation that enrich "pastors" at the detriment of the society and of the poor. Our monies are meant for God and His people: He defines these HIS needy people as the stranger, the widow, the fatherless, the needy AND levite WHO have no other source of livelihood (Deut 26). Jesus and Paul set the example for "levites" today when they WORKED! Paul informs us that we are a royal priesthood (ALL OF US) with Christ as the ONLY high priest. Where you and fellow lazy-bones get your theology from is your wahala since its definitely not the Word of God.

BTW and in fact, Paul gloried in not accepting "tithes/gifts/etc" from men and was a tent maker all his life. Go find work and get a life
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by noetic17: 10:58pm On May 04, 2010
KunleOshob:

Daft, useless and dubious thread posted by a hypocrite. >:

why not address the posers he raised.

P.S , . . , I have a bowl of yoghurt here eagerly awaiting an EXPLOSIVE encounter here. This thread promises to be good. grin
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:16pm On May 04, 2010
Full time pastors in the churches today are now in deep waters if they dare preach on the truth on tithes and offerings as there will be no funds to pay their wages.  So he has to preach what they want to hear otherwise he would go on a empty stomach.  It seems that satan is succeeding in starving such ministers which in turn forces them to do the work of God part time so as to survive. 

By the way who was that disciple that suggested that the woman with the alabaster oil should not waste it on Jesus but that they sell it and give the money to the poor?  Turn to Psalm 41:9 and find out where these so called disciples get their inspiration from.
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by nuclearboy(m): 11:26pm On May 04, 2010
@Olaadegbu:

What is the truth on tithes and offerings?

And what would the Apostle Paul say to the issue of wages being paid to pastors?

Speaking to myself "where is the tithe monster T-T"
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:58pm On May 04, 2010
nuclearboy:

@Olaadegbu:

What is the truth on tithes and offerings?

And what would the Apostle Paul say to the issue of wages being paid to pastors?

Speaking to myself "where is the tithe monster T-T"

"honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase" (Proverbs 3:9).

God is clear about "rendering" a portion of our wealth to Him.

The New Testament is very specific that "every one of" us (I Corinthians 16:2), indeed, "every man according as he purposeth in his heart" (2 Corinthians 9:7) is to give of his resources to our Lord.  We are further told that it is to be "as God hath prospered him" (I Corinthians 16:2) and that it be "out of that which ye have" (2 Corinthians 8:11).  In more modern terms, we are to give proportionately (a percentage) of what we earn or possess.  The only percentage tribute ever taught in Scripture is the tithe—10% of our "increase."

Give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar (ie your tax) and to God what belongs to God (i.e. your tithes).  Simples wink

Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Nobody: 12:19am On May 05, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

"honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase" (Proverbs 3:9).

God is clear about "rendering" a portion of our wealth to Him.

true but you're quoting an old testament law that doesnt apply to us.

OLAADEGBU:

The New Testament is very specific that "every one of" us (I Corinthians 16:2), indeed, "every man according as he purposeth in his heart" (2 Corinthians 9:7) is to give of his resources to our Lord.  We are further told that it is to be "as God hath prospered him" (I Corinthians 16:2) and that it be "out of that which ye have" (2 Corinthians 8:11).

Excellent. So we are to give "as we purpose in our heart" . . . either 1 % or 10 % or 48 %. As much as we are doing it to honor the Lord in all sincerity.

OLAADEGBU:

In more modern terms, we are to give proportionately (a percentage) of what we earn or possess.

Where in 1 Cor 16:2 did you read that?

OLAADEGBU:

The only percentage tribute ever taught in Scripture is the tithe—10% of our "increase."

this was to the jews in the old testament. they were also taught to share there tithes every 3 yrs with the poor, widow, stranger and the orphan. Wonder why that isnt practiced in any tithe-paying church today.

OLAADEGBU:

Give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar (ie your tax) and to God what belongs to God (i.e. your tithes).  Simples wink

We know that already and that is not the issue sir.
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by nuclearboy(m): 5:55am On May 05, 2010
Olaadegbu:

Honestly (at least to me), you mostly come across as someone who is sincere but when it comes to this "offerings" issue, you suprise me. Read what I wrote in response to Mr Tithes above - do you see me saying its wrong to "GIVE"? What I said is that the compulsion part of it is wrong, unfair and a travesty of truth.

The commandment said to give to the poor, stranger, widow and the levite because has no source of income. Levites were not allowed to have another source of income and so were given part of the tithe in the OT.

Jesus and His apostles set a different tone for the NT. First, everybody became a "priest" with Jesus being the only High Priest. So now, its levites paying tithes to levites?  shocked But again these NT "NEW" priests gave an example and worked for a living.  smiley Paul even boasted that he didn't take from anyone!  smiley Today, nothing and nobody stops a pastor from working and making a living. But they say "the work is too much". As much as what Jesus did? Or what Paul did? Yet I do NOT say they should not be given. I give pastors who I see as doing God's work. But that is not compulsory though nice - it shows they're valued. Once compulsion is involved, that is TAX, not giving.

Anyone who wants to be rich should do business and make investments. The rich guys in the Bible - Abraham, his sons, David, Solomon, Job etc had flocks and great possession they worked or warred for. None of them received tithes as their source of stupendous wealth. It is today that pastors want to own private jets that are purchased by "compulsory gifts". Such are only beggars and beggars don't get rich.

Tithing today is a thieving scam. Prove me wrong and show me levites paying tithes to levites and the Apostles receiving "tithes" as standard operating practice? BTW, you can't eat your cake and have it (except you're 419) - the guy who enters the business of "pastoring" cannot say he won't follow the example of the Apostles who believed their reward was in Heaven. Why do they want it here now?
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Mudley313: 7:30am On May 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

Olaadegbu:

Honestly (at least to me), you mostly come across as someone who is sincere but when it comes to this "offerings" issue, you suprise me. Read what I wrote in response to Mr Tithes above - do you see me saying its wrong to "GIVE"? What I said is that the compulsion part of it is wrong, unfair and a travesty of truth.

The commandment said to give to the poor, stranger, widow and the levite because has no source of income. Levites were not allowed to have another source of income and so were given part of the tithe in the OT.

Jesus and His apostles set a different tone for the NT. First, everybody became a "priest" with Jesus being the only High Priest. So now, its levites paying tithes to levites? shocked But again these NT "NEW" priests gave an example and worked for a living. smiley Paul even boasted that he didn't take from anyone! smiley Today, nothing and nobody stops a pastor from working and making a living. But they say "the work is too much". As much as what Jesus did? Or what Paul did? Yet I do NOT say they should not be given. I give pastors who I see as doing God's work. But that is not compulsory though nice - it shows they're valued. Once compulsion is involved, that is TAX, not giving.

Anyone who wants to be rich should do business and make investments. The rich guys in the Bible - Abraham, his sons, David, Solomon, Job etc had flocks and great possession they worked or warred for. None of them received tithes as their source of stupendous wealth. It is today that pastors want to own private jets that are purchased by "compulsory gifts". Such are only beggars and beggars don't get rich.

Tithing today is a thieving scam. Prove me wrong and show me levites paying tithes to levites and the Apostles receiving "tithes" as standard operating practice? BTW, you can't eat your cake and have it (except you're 419) - the guy who enters the business of "pastoring" cannot say he won't follow the example of the Apostles who believed their reward was in Heaven. Why do they want it here now?

i think this oladegbu of a character is probably a pastor. i dont blame him for defending thievery in the name of the lawd. man must wack
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by jessefly: 8:38am On May 05, 2010
such a funny post grin, justifying reasons to give more than u have to a church
these MOG r damn good hypnotists
could u give to those blind and less priveleged who really need your giving wat u give to your churches
culd u take some orphan n see him thru university giving him fulfillment
we r jus playing to the 48 laws of power 'appeal to their self-interest' cos if we can give selflessly these MOG wont be surviving at all
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by KunleOshob(m): 8:45am On May 05, 2010
noetic17:

P.S , . . , I have a bowl of yoghurt here eagerly awaiting an EXPLOSIVE encounter here. This thread promises to be good. grin

What's there to address in the posers raised   you and i know that we have been through this several times on NL and all this talk about giving to pastors/church is derived mostly from manipulating scriptures. We have thrashed out this issue several times on this forum an i simply don't have the enery for another merry go round. The scripturesis very clear, christian giving is primarily targeted at the poor and the needy, even church collections by the apostles was meant for the needy and not for the apostles themselves. They also warned us of those that would use the gospel to make money from us, which is now very rampant today and you still want me to be giving heretics like tonye audience  angry
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 12:27pm On May 05, 2010
davidylan:

tithing - a modern-day avenue to despoil the laity in the name of gawd.

Big D,

its a honor to having you around, but wait! did you say ancient pathway has now become an avenue to despoil the laity in the name of gawd?

but i thought Jesus admonished the NTestamenters to practise it

Matt.23:23 - practise mercy, practise justice, practise faithfulness and also [size=13pt]do not neglect to practise tithes[/size]

so what exactly is your point?

- would i say you r angry at the way its being practised today?

- or you are abruptly against it for a new testament obligation?
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 12:38pm On May 05, 2010
JeSoul:

Tonye, I see your exams are over lol. I'm less inclined to tussle at the mo' . . . but if being a "hypocrit" is simply Tonye-speak for those who do not bend over to the 'gospel' of modern-day mOGs, then by all means, I and the others are staunch, unrepentant, die-hard and extremely proud hypocrits.

J-babe,

Yeah my projects are over, at least for now  smiley. my use of the word "hypocrite" aint intended to insult anyone but to stir a fact. (*apologies if it read the otherwise).

Your use of the term "gospel" of the modern-day MOGs may mean that you do not go to modern churches as well as listen to their sermons. i guess you are coming from the ancient and prolly still need some time to settle in the present.

but whicheverway it goes, lets both realise that the latter church cannot and i repeat cannot be like the early church. one was intended to plant while the other waters. at least simple logic will tell us that those who build d foundation aint the same as those who'll put the finishings.

My point:

- giving remains a status even in the new testament, do yourself the favor of unsettling the notion that because the act of giving has been widely abuse now means it is evil to give or preach giving.
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:41pm On May 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

Matt 26:6-13

[list][li]Disciples: KunleOshob, Ogajim, MavenBox(InesQor) Enigma, Jesoul, Ttalks, Alethiea, Nuclearboy et al[/li][/list]
8 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant."Why this waste?" they asked.
9 "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

[list][li]Jesus said: Tonye-t, Image123, anabel, Bobbyaf, Joagbaje, OOLADEGBU et al[/li][/list]
10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me.
11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.

Observant readers should spot the similarities between the (highlighted in blue) verses above with what has been posted below and tell us who the Psalm 41:9 (419) disciples are especially their ring leader. shocked

KunleOshob:

What's there to address in the posers raised  you and i know that we have been through this several times on NL and all this talk about giving to pastors/church is derived mostly from manipulating scriptures. We have thrashed out this issue several times on this forum an i simply don't have the enery for another merry go round. The scripturesis very clear, christian giving is primarily targeted at the poor and the needy, even church collections by the apostles was meant for the needy and not for the apostles themselves. They also warned us of those that would use the gospel to make money from us, which is now very rampant today and you still want me to be giving heretics like tonye audience  angry
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 12:42pm On May 05, 2010
^^^^ grin grin grin grin tell them grin grin grin
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 1:00pm On May 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

- Nothing is wrong with giving to a man of God (if it is not by trickery, fear based or emotionally motivated)
- Offerings and ^ (the line above) are the same EXCEPT to thieves looking for more ways to scam innocent gullible people
- Prosperity was NEVER preached by Jesus or His disciples. If you are following Him, where's your example from Him or the Apostles
- Deut 26 is very clear THAT tithes belong to the stranger, the needy, the widow AND the Levite (BECAUSE the levite has no source of
    income.) But the Scriptures destroyed your standpoint when it tells us that Jesus, a non-levite, Peter (same) and Paul (same)
    WORKED and NEVER COLLECTED TITHE from anybody. Please oppose this by showing where they preached tithe and collected it.

- Bill Gates, Oprah and King Fahd have greater testimonies - who do they pay tithe to?
- And you believe we don't have Bibles to read? Where does the command come from God except to be paid as outlined above? Liar!
- Because they preach it contrary to God's Word. I preach giving to the needy and no-one calls me a thief since I don't gain from that!

- Giving is a beautiful thing but does not include cash alone and is not to be directed towards jobless pastors only. Go find work
- Prosperity is fine, but not at the cost of another's happiness or lying against God or cajoling people for your pocket's benefit

- The Bible gives stories about all kinds of people (rich and poor). Why don't you preach Job' trials and the Apostles sufferings as doctrine?
- Jesus didn't say "Give unto rich pastors and it shall return to you". He said "GIVE". And He said when you bless the poor and clothe them
    and feed them, you feed HIM - so He felt they were more worthy. If you disagree, quote your Bible!
- Yes, God loves a cheerful giver. Pastors should start giving their possessions too, not taking from poorer people.
- Better read your Bible without sunshades colored with Naira notes. "Riches in Glory" on EARTH?  shocked Chei, see "christian" shocked

- The "antis" are saying what the Bible says - Tell us if the Bible is wrong or not
- Sure we're biased - We're biased FOR GOD and are on God's side. What are you doing standing against God?
- Sentimental? Yes! We know poor people need food, shelter, child fees and hospicare. We also know MOG's cannot enter more than one
    car at a time or sleep in more than one room. Plus, how can the disciples be greater than their master Jesus?

- Who was the hypocrite? - David who wanted to kill the guy who "stole" a poor man's only sheep to feed his guest or Nathan who told
    him he it was that had much yet wanted a poor man's inheritance and was wrong?
- The Bible's Gospel is about a Christian reaping his Labors on EARTH in Heaven. Your gospel is about dominion and cash on earth and its
    contrary to the Word of God. Who is right? You or God?
- This thread is about "profit for you" to you and "profit for God" to me! You tell me who has God in mind and honors Him!

Tonye-tithes,

2 Peter Chap 2 does not discuss tithing or earthly money so you likely never heard or read it. Do yourself a favor and read it. Enjoy your day!

Nuclearboy,

1.   you said:  - Nothing is wrong with giving to a man of God (if it is not by trickery, fear based or emotionally motivated)

And what exactly do you mean by trickery, fear based or emotionally motivated.

2. you said - Prosperity was NEVER preached by Jesus or His disciples
Luke 6:38 - Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you 'berakah' ." NIV

berakah - meaning the force of attracting wealth, like a seed planted has the ability to generate more seeds.

when last did you read your biblos ?  undecided

i'll come back shortly got some work to do wink wink
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by nuclearboy(m): 1:51pm On May 05, 2010
Tonye:

When you say "the reason you are not doing well is because you are ROBBING GOD", you are using trickery, fear, emotional blackmail and manipulation. Firstly, the "portion" of tithes in the OT that was meant for the levite was meant for them because the levite had no possessions or inheritance. Which of your MOGs today don't have possessions? Secondly, it was a "portion" not all the tithes! Thirdly, we all are levites today being part of a royal priesthood. Fourthly, Christ defines where He lives (i.e. His House) when He said "when you do for the least of these, you do for me" in relation to clothing, feeding and sheltering the poor. Let me rewrite that for you in clear english -

Jesus (OT) said "Bring ye all the tithes into my House (where I live is my house)"

Jesus (NT) said "I live with the poor because when you feed them, it is me you feed. When you clothe them, it is me you clothe etc"

Deut 26 agrees with this and adds levites ONLY because they have no possessions. So when you say Jesus said "not to neglect tithes", YES, He said not to neglect the poor, needy, widow, stranger and the "priest" WHO IS IN NEED, not a billionaire.

Tonye-T, you said "Give and it shall be given to you, full measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over". Yes, but this works both ways for the mature - give pain and you will be given your full complement of pain in return. Give deceit and get same. Give joy and friendship and see your harvest of same.

What kind of baby "skewed" christianity do you subscribe to that tells you the only thing you can give is Naira or Dollars? Did you ever smile at someone unknown to you and see the stranger light up and smile back? What did you give? What did you get back? Dollars?

"berakah" ko, backbone pain ni. The word refers to profit - sowing and reaping as you said with seed not cash. Leave lies and wake up. Those who want earthly wealth plan and work for it not lie with God's name to manipulate gullible people

BTW, after answering each and every single one of your questions, I notice you ignored dealing with them and only just found more questions probably hoping to confuse my steps. Deal with them please, in your next post
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:23pm On May 05, 2010
davidylan:

true but you're quoting an old testament law that doesnt apply to us.

God deserves, and we are responsible to give HONOUR to Him, whether you are in the Old Testament or New. Several forms of "honour" are spoken of in the Scriptures (both New and Old): trust, love, obedience, and so on, but we must not neglect to "honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase" (Proverbs 3:9). It is this PERSONAL "rendering" that seems to bring the most challenging pain both to those who only render "tax" to the government and to those who should render "tribute" to God. I wonder whether you complain when you get your tax deducted from your wages/salary even when you did not give them the permission to do so. undecided

davidylan:

Excellent. So we are to give "as we purpose in our heart" . . . either 1 % or 10 % or 48 %. As much as we are doing it to honor the Lord in all sincerity.

Even though we are not specifically demanded to limit it to 10%, the principle of the tithe should be viewed as a starting place for our thinking. We have both the obligation to give and the opportunity to give more. We are to give cheerfully (Acts 20:35; 2 Corinthians 9:7), lovingly (John 3:16; 2 Corinthians 8:8-9), expectantly (Luke 6:38 and 2 Corinthians 9:10-11), and sacrificially (Mark 12:41-44 and Mark 14:3-9). Our gifts should be directed to God glorifying and Bible-honouring churches and ministries.

davidylan:

Where in 1 Cor 16:2 did you read that?

"Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God has prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come."

Collections were to be taken as God prospered them every Sundays and to be ready for his (Paul's) collection so as to send it to the headquarters (Jerusalem) when he came. This policy among the early Christians was based on the Jews who brought their alms to the synagogue on sabbath days.

davidylan:

this was to the jews in the old testament. they were also taught to share there tithes every 3 yrs with the poor, widow, stranger and the orphan. Wonder why that isnt practiced in any tithe-paying church today.

It is a pity that many Christians today short-change themselves when they only believe that only the NT is relevant to them today. Jesus is the OT concealed and the NT revealed. You cannot fully understand the NT if you neglet the importance of the OT. There are historical and spiritual principles that will help us progress and avoid pitfalls if we are to take them seriously.

davidylan:

We know that already and that is not the issue sir.

Every culture in the world understands their civil responsibility to those in higher authority. What has escaped most people, even many Christians, is that the HIGHEST authority is the Creator and Owner of all things. That is why Jesus Christ told us to do both: give to "Caesar" what belonged to him and to God what belonged to Him.
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Joagbaje(m): 3:21pm On May 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

Tonye:

When you say "the reason you are not doing well is because you are ROBBING GOD", you are using trickery, fear, emotional blackmail and manipulation.

Jesus too must be using trickery when he said:

Luke 6:38
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Firstly, the "portion" of tithes in the OT that was meant for the levite was meant for them because the levite had no possessions or inheritance. Which of your MOGs today don't have possessions?

When God calls a man and h has to resign his job, abandon all for sake of ministry, what are you talking? Was Kumuyi not a great lecturer. What about Adeboye? . Are they in ministry because they were jobless?
Likewise most ministers. The tithe is God's primary way of support for the workers in ministry those days.
See what Paul has to say.

1 Cor. 9:13-14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? [14] Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Secondly, it was a "portion" not all the tithes! Thirdly, we all are levites today being part of a royal priesthood. Fourthly, Christ defines where He lives (i.e. His House) when He said "when you do for the least of these, you do for me" in relation to clothing, feeding and sheltering the poor. Let me rewrite that for you in clear english -

Jesus (OT) said "Bring ye all the tithes into my House (where I live is my house)"

Jesus (NT) said "I live with the poor because when you feed them, it is me you feed. When you clothe them, it is me you clothe etc"

Deut 26 agrees with this and adds levites ONLY because they have no possessions. So when you say Jesus said "not to neglect tithes", YES, He said not to neglect the poor, needy, widow, stranger and the "priest" WHO IS IN NEED, not a billionaire.

You are mumbling scriptures together to say what it didnt say.Your idea of poor priests is unscriptural. The priest is the one who confers the blessing opn the people because of the anointing. The priest is anointed to bless. It is the people who are blessed.So you dont just give to a man of God to meet his need , You give to him because he is anointed and the anointing will cause you to have prophet's reward.

Numbers 18:8
And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them[b] by reason of the anointing[/b], and to thy sons, by an ordinance for ever.

Acts 20:35
I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Tonye-T, you said "Give and it shall be given to you, full measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over". Yes, but this works both ways for the mature - give pain and you will be given your full complement of pain in return. Give deceit and get same. Give joy and friendship and see your harvest of same.

If you beleive this , then why is it hard for you to give the naira and dollar. Jesus should have stopped that old widow. She should rather have been helped and given to. isnt it? But no, a poor man must learn to give, thats what will change his story arround.

Mark 12:41-42
And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. [42] And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

Ofcourse it doesn have to be money a man should sow, we can sow anything. but why would I send perishable tomatoe to church, when the money could have be more useful. money is a universal medium of exchange.

You shold stop all these ideas of , We are all priest in the new testament. They were all priest in the OT too.

Exodus 19:6
And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

But God still anointed some above others. Those who dont understand kingdom structures enter into rebelious trouble.Some tried it with Moses in the name of " We are all anointed"

Numbers 16:3
And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the Lord is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the Lord?

You can read up the rest of the story and see and see what the BIG mouth caused them.
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Mudley313: 3:42pm On May 05, 2010
*shake my head* @ nigerians arguing over ancient jewish traditions. oladegbu n tonye are pastors n u guys wanna take food from their table. leave dem make dem wack o
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 4:35pm On May 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

Another big flaw from you again!.

1. Abraham who was the first to have tithed before the law of moses came, did so to a priest. and guess what? That priest was noted to be a PRINCE of Jeru[i]salem[/i] and at least you and I know that princes lack nothing. So why then would someone(Abraham) give tithe to an already-sufficient pastor (Melchisedec)

2. When Jacob promised to give a tithe, did he promise giving it to a levite or God.

My point: Tithing remains a norm atleast the aramaic/hebrew translation of the word will share more light. search!
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 4:47pm On May 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

Greater testimonies of what? dat they got wealthy because they sold their souls to the devil in return for wealth.

My friend for you to have used Unbelievers of this aeon to compare with the children of the light is really not funny. "The bible says i should not be covetous of the wealth of a Sinner" ever heard that?
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 5:13pm On May 05, 2010
NuclearBoy,

For as long as you keep looking/lurking at the prosperity of God's servant with a sentiment, you'll keep seeing reasons why you should give and why you should not. And that to me spells immaturity and bitterness!

But wait and ask yourself this. Am i really a follower of these MOGs or follower of Christ. if you're of the latter, then sincerity should prick you to go back and get a full grasp of the essence of giving.

Lets take some few instances of those who gave in the nTestament.

- Men from the east : essence- it was a custom to give to a King, now did they give those gifts to the poor or needy? no! why? because it was the status quo.

- The widows mint : essence- for offering in the temple, recall she gave her all, now ever pondered that now she's given her all, what will she survive with. did Jesus know her circumstance? Yes! what did he do? He commended her and nothing more at least from what we read. Why only commendation? Because temple given was a status quo be you a widow, orphan, needy and so on.

- The alabaster woman: essence- to honor a great personality. Since you guys say the WHOLE essence of giving as taught by Christ was to give to the poor and needy, Why didnt Jesus stopped her and sell the ointment/perfume and give it to the poor at least he would have done a noble thing b4 his disciples, but yet he accepted the expensive perfume to be used on HIS FEET of all places and even rebuked the disciples for ever thinking of selling and giving to the poor and needy. Aint Jesus a supposed-greedy guy you'd say! but wait! he accepted all those stuffs to himself alone and in turn blessed her because it was a thing in his time for folks to identify great people and honor them.

- The donkey & the truimphant entry:  Jesus took someone's backside prolly/maybe the only backside of the owner without application or protocol, sat on it and came into the gates of jerusalem where it was recorded THE PEOPLE THREW FLOWERS AND CLOTHES BENEATH THE donkey's FEET. He sat and made a mess of their materials and in turn cursed them. why the waste you'll imagine? but do you know it meant so much for him to using that backside.

Have you ever asked if Paul ever preached/ wrote that WE SHOULD GIVE MONEYS TO THE POOR AND NEEDY. if there was a scripture pls show me maybe i could join your wagon of hallucilant and spread the gospel THAT THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF GIVING WAS FOR THE POOR.

Dont get me wrong i aint saying the poor nor the needy should not receive our benevolence. Afterall its part of the status quo/obligation for believers, but to base/ generalize/channel all giving to the poor because you feel jealous at God's blessings over his servants is simple pathetic!

-
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Tonyet1(m): 5:19pm On May 05, 2010
noetic17:

You really can predict! sure they wont answer the questions, but would rather go about their usual dilly-dallies. cheesy cheesy
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:29pm On May 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

^^^^ grin grin grin grin tell them grin grin grin

While it may not be difficult to pinpoint their ringleader here on NL being the usual suspect, but let me give you a clue to their champion who inspires them to give to the poor instead. Psalms 41:9

"Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me."

If you are familiar with the NT you would have found out who the character described in the verse above is and his motives for selling the oil so as to give to the poor.

It is because of disciples like these that Paul was reluctant to ask for money so as not to be identified with the charlatans. Paul said

"For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloak of coveteousness; God is witness." (1 Thess.2:5).

Our motives for entering the ministry matters in the mind of our Lord. God must bear witness that we do His work without the ulterior motive of seeking honour from men (John 5:41,44), without seeking great things for ourselves (Jer.45:5), without having men's persons in admiration because of personal gain (Jude 16), without having our hearts stained and soiled with coveteousness (1 Thess 2:5; Ezek 33:31), without using flattery in order to take advantage of the congregation (2 Cor.12:17-19; Psalm 5:9; Prov. 7:21-23; Dan.11:21), without seeking glory, praise, applause, approval, or awards from the church or the world (1 Thess 2:6; Galatians 1:10)

Can God witness to many of the so called M.O.G.'s today that they are living and serving God without impure motives of getting rich instead of saving souls and living for the glory of God? Is God witness that in all things and at all times, at any time, they speak and serve without any cloak, pretexts or motives of concealed coveteousness or unrighteous gain?
Re: The Lessons Of Giving And The Hypocrites! by Zikkyy(m): 7:50pm On May 05, 2010
Joagbaje:

When God calls a man and h has to resign his job, abandon all for sake of ministry, what are you talking? Was Kumuyi not a great lecturer. What about Adeboye? . Are they in ministry because they were jobless?
Likewise most ministers. The tithe is God's primary way of support for the workers in ministry those days.

Oga, as usual you are very wrong. There is no such instruction for pastors to be supported with tithe. Christians are not required to tithe sir.

If you refer to tithing under Mosaic Law, you easily forget that the tithe from the people was never meant for the priest. If you must apply the Mosaic Law (illegally that is) in your church, please ensure the church workers (choristers, ushers, cleaners, security e.t.c) get the full tithe (don’t forget widow, orphan, strangers and others in need). You can only receive tithe from your church workers. 

Joagbaje:

See what Paul has to say.

1 Cor. 9:13-14
Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? [14] Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

This is no problem if you believe you must ‘chop’ from the gospel. Simply request for an offering to support the pastor. You don’t need to lie, i am sure the congregation will cooperate because they love you. But you won’t make such attempt because you are scared you will not achieve the desired level of collection. Two reasons for this, it’s either the purpose of the request cannot be justified or the congregation is made up of business people who see giving as an investment (thanks to you). As long as you continue to encourage or breed ‘Christians’ that give only when there is an 100fold or more returns, you will continue to seek innovative (and fraudulent) means of squeezing money out of the congregation. Due to your  inability to make people give out of pure Christ-like love I would say you have failed in your duty/calling (assuming you were called for real) cos you are longer willing souls for Christ.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Has Atheism Ever Gotten U Into Trouble? / What Do Negroes Hope To Achieve By Claiming To Be Jews/israelites? / Anglicanism Questions and Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.