Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,921 members, 7,952,707 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:57 PM

Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back (62339 Views)

How I Got My NAFDAC Number(my Personal Experience) / I Just Got My Inheritance; I Need Your Advice / Allen Onyema Indicted For Bank Fraud And Money Laundering In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by pyrex23(m): 9:30am On Apr 02, 2018
Hofbrauhaus:
So what happened to th3 fraudsters?
What if the criminals had emptied th3 account...would th3bank lose money paying back for what's not their fault?

I don't know if I'm high...but I don't really understand what I just read...
so far the bank can't prove he authorized the transaction.
they are to be held accountable.. simple.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Codyt(m): 9:37am On Apr 02, 2018
CriticMaestro:
Lemme get this straight
Is it that the person that stole your phone made that transaction and the bank helped u tracked him or was it a mistake done by the bank

Cc, Jeron1
As far as I'm concerned, the OP took the liberty of explaining this as simple as possible. Not that hard to comprehend.

READ!

3 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by BlueScholar(m): 9:51am On Apr 02, 2018
shocked Thank you for sharing
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Chidonc(m): 10:02am On Apr 02, 2018
obstead200:
now this is possible, reason why I wonder why the op did not block his line as soon as his phone got missing.
If I were the bank, he is a big joker, let's go to court. He will have to hire lawyers, the banks have lawyers and a legal dept on their payroll.
Nonsense.
naa u will always win the bank in court, and it is not also good for there image, reason be that there anti-fraud case should be able to track any fraud reported on an account, secondly, ur password was reset ted from someone inside as ur sim and bvn is not just enough to transfer out of ur account by a third party, except in a situation whereby u are forced to withdraw cash by urself from an atm, nothing can be done in dis situation

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Festy4u(m): 10:04am On Apr 02, 2018
TexasCowboy:

So you and the police let him off just like that, without prosecuting him and sending him to jail for a long time? This is a serious case of fraud for Pete's sake.

This country is really fuckedd. In saner climes, he'll be cooling off in jail.

As someone deposed earlier that if it was in the US, one wouldn't have gone through such horrific experience alone but be credited with the amount debited from his account while the bank prosecute whoever was involved. But this is Nigeria, where your bank leaves everything to you and tells you they are working on it and of which they are doing nothing. So much was involved b4 we arrived at that agreement. I needed back my money and wasn't prepared to spend more money as I have already spent so much after the incident. So I did what I thought best for me at the time!
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by sirmustysherif: 10:17am On Apr 02, 2018
Please i would like to have the email of the CBN because presently I'm in such a mess, I'm just waiting for tomorrow to go and complain at the bank as a matter of fact it's the issue that's keeping at Ibadan and I live Ilorin. All my complains to the customer care mail and line were not treated. #20000 was deducted from my account on Friday and uptill now, I have never received debit alert on my phone and the money has not been reversed according to what the customer care said. On Friday, I tried collecting money but the ATM failed to dispense with the caption ISSUER OR SWITCH but gbam I tried making transfer via my mobile money and discovered 20000 has gone, I rushed to check my statement of my account and discovered it was from that same ATM I tried using that failed to dispense that the money was deducted from.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by sholatech(m): 10:28am On Apr 02, 2018
johhnnie:

May be you did not go through the right channels at the CBN. Remember the guy said in his story that each floor had different access and even, that some of the employees In the same CBN office did not know that such a held desk was operational.

The ideal channel at CBN Is the Consumer Protection Dept. You don't even need to be there physically. We have official letters from them redirecting us to the bank.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by sholatech(m): 10:46am On Apr 02, 2018
LorDBolton:

Abeg No make me laugh... Abeg Abeg

This Nairaland shaaaaaa

One person go dey here dey believe your story.

First Ngozi Iweala CANNOT order CBN to do anything, obviously you don't know the CBN is independent sha, only the CBN gov can give such order.

Like I said don't say what you don't know... No be everybody wey dey here be small boy.

Be talking theory that you do not know or have experience with. Every independent MDA can be reported to a supervisory ministry and NASS. No body doubts the independence of the CBN Governor(which makes him refuse orders from even the President) but the fact remains that CBN is still a parastatal under the Ministry of Finance and relationships defined by the CBN act and BOFIA.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by LorDBolton(m): 11:03am On Apr 02, 2018
sholatech:

Be talking theory that you do not know or have experience with. Every independent MDA can be reported to a supervisory ministry and NASS. No body doubts the independence of the CBN Governor(which makes him refuse orders from even the President) but the fact remains that CBN is still a parastatal under the Ministry of Finance and relationships defined by the CBN act and BOFIA.

Look lemme save you time by informing you you're replying a Banker so don't school me on my industry dynamics.

This your story is totally fake.

If not fake then elaborate on the transaction and what led to him loosing " millions of dollars " which thr Bank REFUSED A CBN ORDER to refund.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by sholatech(m): 11:10am On Apr 02, 2018
LorDBolton:

Look lemme save you time by informing you you're replying a Banker so don't school me on my industry dynamics.

This your story is totally fake.

If not fake then elaborate on the transaction and what led to him loosing " millions of dollars " which thr Bank REFUSED A CBN ORDER to refund.

You neednot tell me u are you banker. I knew from your initial myopic response. I probably left banking before you even joined. Are you at top management executive level? May you or your client never have transactions that will pit you against banking CEOS that are friends to CBN Governor. There abound many cases where the courts have eventually awarded huge sums against the banks after CBN banking supervision and Consumer Depts looked the other way.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ak22(m): 11:25am On Apr 02, 2018
jeron1:
Dec 16th, 2017. A day I can NEVER forget hurriedly in my life. Got to shoprite Surulere, bought something's and made payment via POS. I didn't get SMS transaction Alert as my phone was stolen two days before.

Drove down to Lawanson (same place my phone was stolen) to make some transaction and found out that some money was missing from my account, . I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure, Three Hundred and Ninety Nine thousand, Four hundred and sixty Naira was missing (399,460).

I called my bank through the Number written on the back of the ATM card and they verified the transaction, I was a Victim of Sim card BVN fraud, first ever of Its kind in Nigeria .

Then I told them to Freeze the account with immediate effect.

I realise many people had also one time or the other gone through this kind of experience but they never got their money back as they didn't know the process to take on how to get their money back from Fraud that occurred on their account either via ATM, Online or any other platform

Here is what I did to get my money back as I it was a transaction I didn't authorised

1. I didn't keep quiet, I told a lot of people about the update. I wasn't ashame, I even posted on my timeline on Facebook. I wasn't looking for pity but to notify people about the new fraud in town and also seek for advice. I knew 90% of people won't even care as they will even laugh but that 10% of people that cared will give me solution and truly it worked.
One of the guys I told gave me the option that started the solution and that option was to write a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria, Lagos office

2. I immediately sent a mail to my bank, telling them about the debit that occurred on my account and it wasn't from me. The bank replied telling me they will investigate, I had to put a lot of pressure on them because these bank people can be very funny, they will tell you they are working on it but that's a lie

3. I wrote a petition/Complain to the "Banking Supervision Department" and "Customer Protection Department" of Central bank of Nigeria, Lagos Branch. The office is at the 11th floor of the building. Most of the workers don't know, some told me 8th floor, some said 5th floor. I had to walk that building up and down more than 6times that day before I could get the right office cos the access cards for the floors are different and I have to come down to take new access card for the different floor

Ps- make sure a copy with you is acknowledged, also provide your Email address and Phone number on the letter as they will reach you through the platform provided and tell you to negotiate with your bank and if no progress after 30 working days then write them again via the e-mail they used in communicating with you. I will provide screen shot of the mail they sent but I am trying as much as possible not to mention the bank. I never knew many Organisation in Nigeria work if I had not gone through it.

I was actually told at CBN that it will take time but I will surely get my money back that the CBN mandated banks to known your Customer (KYC) so since the money was transferred to Access bank then Access bank need to produce their customer

4. I wrote an official letter also to my branch bank Manager, informing him about the fraud on the account and telling him how it has really affected me. I Also made sure that a copy of the letter was acknowledged.

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight as the bank would want to put the blame on me but I was ready for them.

I was always sending them mail, calls via the telephones at any bank branch. I gave them heat and after 30 working days I sent a mail back to CBN telling them the bank is frustrating me and they are yet to refund my money and I didn't want to go to court because the matter was before the APEX bank. I didn't receive any reply from them

I went to a branch and also shouted and told them I want to see the branch manager which I saw her and also made my complain and she decided to also send a mail to the fraud unit.

Sorry to say, I received a call from the fraud unit after I wrote a petition to CBN and CBN queried them telling me how my money was transferred and giving me the account number and bank the money was transferred to, they also gave me the address of the person that owns the account but I refused to follow up as I told them that wasn't my work that they should do it.

Lastly, I called them from the bank and told. Them that was the last time I was going to talk to them in the issue that I will get a lawyer, told the Lady that picked the call to tell the management about my development, I actually got a lawyer but before the lawyer could write, I received my money back on Thursday hot afternoon via an alert...

Is the person that wired the money now go free?
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by LorDBolton(m): 11:38am On Apr 02, 2018
sholatech:

You neednot tell me u are you banker. I knew from your initial myopic response. I probably left banking before you even joined. Are you at top management executive level? May you or your client never have transactions that will pit you against banking CEOS that are friends to CBN Governor. There abound many cases where the courts have eventually awarded huge sums against the banks after CBN banking supervision and Consumer Depts[b] looked the other way.[/b]

Oga your story is fake SIMPLE ... that's why you keep shifting from your ORIGINAL stance.

#1- you claimed Banks are not afraid of CBN (Banks think CBN can't bite)

-#2- you claim you (A FORMER BANKER ooo ) had personal experience

#3- you claim your friend also had experience where he lost millions and bla bla.

#4- you're claiming your friend's case is happening cos it's BBANKER CEO - CBN gov relationship.

#5- Telling me there are other cases bla bla bla

Baba calm down and sip tea jare. Keep forming maradona.

"Bankers ain't scared of CBN ? No Ex-Banker can say that.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by sholatech(m): 11:47am On Apr 02, 2018
LorDBolton:

Oga your story is fake SIMPLE ... that's why you keep shifting from your ORIGINAL stance.

#1- you claimed Banks are not afraid of CBN (Banks think CBN can't bite)

-#2- you claim you (A FORMER BANKER ooo ) had personal experience

#3- you claim your friend also had experience where he lost millions and bla bla.

#4- you're claiming your friend's case is happening cos it's BBANKER CEO - CBN gov relationship.

#5- Telling me there are other cases bla bla bla

Baba calm down and sip tea jare. Keep forming maradona.

"Bankers ain't scared of CBN ? No Ex-Banker can say that.

Don't worry. We know your inexperienced shakara type claiming 'Banker' as if you owned a bank. . I'm sure you only see the Cbn auditors in branch operations. Mtchew. I stand with all my posts as clearly stated & your responses are also here for public viewing. We are proud of The poster's success story which is against the odds that the banking public face regularly.

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by LorDBolton(m): 12:07pm On Apr 02, 2018
sholatech:

Don't worry. We know your inexperienced shakara type claiming 'Banker' as if you owned a bank. . I'm sure you only see the Cbn auditors in branch operations. Mtchew. I stand with all my posts as clearly stated & your responses are also here for public viewing. We are proud of The poster's success story which is against the odds that the banking public face regularly.

Lols... keep it up
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Baronnaire: 12:19pm On Apr 02, 2018
Had to just check.

If the bank and account number is correct, then the fraudster is a woman....

See attached.

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Baronnaire: 12:22pm On Apr 02, 2018
cityofindustry:
Why did he have to go through this stress, in the US, you will be credited within 24 to 48 hrs .

It's called chargeback

Tech is so dynamic...

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by KingOfSkills: 12:39pm On Apr 02, 2018
Simonrom:

At the end of the day, you agreed with me that it's impossible to complete a transaction on an account without having the account card details or 737 pin and the registered phone number.
Even though I'm not trying to argue with you, all your assertions may be true but invalid.
Thanks for disliking me but I don't like you either
ur monicker should have been "SillyComment"
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 02, 2018
My sister ATM card got stolen recently and d card was used to withdraw money from her account d sum of 160000 naira. Pleas how do we go about it to get her money back..
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by xclusiveguy4(m): 1:24pm On Apr 02, 2018
jeron1:

I am an Engr, I deal with spanners and screw drivers.

Never did anything on essays bro.

We can't all be in one direction
nice reply

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 1:28pm On Apr 02, 2018
obstead200:
I DONT really KNOW WHY U were REFUNDED, I guess u were lucky. Ur phone was stolen December 14th, a working day and u did not ask for ur account to be immediately blocked, u did not obtain a police report, u just carried on till u lost money abi?
My opinion is that u know someone who used his influence, either in ur bank or in CBN.
Cos this matter is very easy for the banks to go free. U really don't have a tight case.

So cos my fone was stolen will make fraudsters have access to my bank account. Use ur brain na. If they can have access to my bank account, why can't I just leave my money at home?

2 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 1:30pm On Apr 02, 2018
missbronze:
Thanks for sharing this op.

My Aunty and her husband lost all their savings almost this way, lost her phone and didnt know the fruadsters have wiped all the money in their account.

I will screenshot this your writeup and send to her

U can contact me, I will give them more in for info I forgot to post here... They need to get their money back... It must be traceable cos it must be transferred to an account

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by AceVentura: 1:34pm On Apr 02, 2018
cityofindustry:
Why did he have to go through this stress, in the US, you will be credited within 24 to 48 hrs .

It's called chargeback

This transaction wasn't a chargeback. It's simply a fraudulent transaction.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Nobody: 1:52pm On Apr 02, 2018
jeron1:

U can contact me, I will give them more in for info I forgot to post here... They need to get their money back... It must be traceable cos it must be transferred to an account
Thanks for reaching out. I really do appreciate.

I sent a mail and i dont think it delivered.

pls, how can i reach you?
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Emmybreezy(m): 2:55pm On Apr 02, 2018
missbronze:

please I need to contact you as well..
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by overdrive(m): 3:33pm On Apr 02, 2018
lekibraky:
It happened to me too when some used my card do online shopping and 29000 was deducted from my account I went to gtb to complain it wasn't me that initiated the transfer and I was credited after 45 working days

How did you go about it.it also happened to my mum but first bank refused to take responsibility.someone swapped her ATM card and used it to shop online last year.she lost #250000
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 3:43pm On Apr 02, 2018
missbronze:

Saw it and I have replied
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 3:44pm On Apr 02, 2018
overdrive:

How did you go about it.it also happened to my mum but first bank refused to take responsibility.someone swapped her ATM card and used it to shop online last year.she lost #250000

When did it happen?

Contact me via mail let's talk

She will get d money back

Those bankers are thieves
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 3:45pm On Apr 02, 2018
Oliviaonyinye:
My sister ATM card got stolen recently and d card was used to withdraw money from her account d sum of 160000 naira. Pleas how do we go about it to get her money back..

How did they get d pin?

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2018
sholatech:

You neednot tell me u are you banker. I knew from your initial myopic response. I probably left banking before you even joined. Are you at top management executive level? May you or your client never have transactions that will pit you against banking CEOS that are friends to CBN Governor. There abound many cases where the courts have eventually awarded huge sums against the banks after CBN banking supervision and Consumer Depts looked the other way.

We are wiser now...

That can't happen now

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by overdrive(m): 4:24pm On Apr 02, 2018
jeron1:

When did it happen?

Contact me via mail let's talk

She will get d money back

Those bankers are thieves

Sent you a mail sir
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2018
overdrive:

Sent you a mail sir

Replied. Check ur mail
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by cityofindustry: 7:32pm On Apr 02, 2018
Does not matter in the USA, so long as the transaction was unauthorized... you will be credited within 24 to 48hrs

AceVentura:

This transaction wasn't a chargeback. It's simply a fraudulent transaction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Hilarious No Smoking Sign At An Nnpc Mega Station (pictured) / N50 Stamp Duty Imposed On Bank Customers By FG / Oyinda Adenuga Weds Adeolu Abayomi Olufeko (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.