Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

No More 'How Was Your Night?'! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No More 'How Was Your Night?'! (29323 Views)

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English / Best Answer For How Was Your Night! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Dearlord(m): 9:33am On Apr 03, 2018
OP! Is that all u have to say by waking up to exhaust ener
gy that you could have channeled into producing a good cup of coffee ?

I am throwing this one to the bin
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by AuntyAmope(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2018
Igweann979:
what is "Grammatically prove" explain sharp sharp or remain a olodo for ever
undecided
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 03, 2018
Nigerians don't know how wrong that question is as a form of greeting until they leave the shores off their country and are forced to learn by... well, force.

2 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by obailala(m): 10:33am On Apr 03, 2018
Listic1:
There is a growing but troubling trend in Nigeria. When your neighbours see you in the morning, they exchange the normal pleasantries: 'Good morning'. Immediately after that they go forcefully: 'How was your night?'. The (reluctant) response most times is: 'Fine'. But is this correct? Hold it for a second. Is the question even proper in the first place? Let us see.

When people sleep, they practically die. They are unaware of their environment and so, cannot truthfully answer any question relating to that episode. On those occasions when they did not really sleep, do we expect them to relay their activities to their interrogator? How do we expect a married person, for instance, to bare out their nightly activities with their partner to a neighbour? This cannot be right. To put it in very plain terms, it is inappropriate!

Well, how can we go around this faux pas? It is pretty straightforward. Instead of asking: 'How was your night?', we could say: 'I hope you had a good night's rest?' or 'I hope you slept well!' or something along those lines. In that case, the one being asked can truthfully say: 'Yes, thank you'. However, if the respondent's experience was unpalatable, they could, at their discretion, explain why that was so.

As a rule of thumb, in conversing with friends, acquaintances and even strangers it is best to concentrate on or limit oneself only to what is before the parties: the person! There is actually no point asking very personal and private questions. It does not show that one truly cares. As we take these suggestions on board, we introduce decorum into our conversations.

@ODNEsq; Listic1
Seriously, how can I unread this nonsense I just read now?

The person who came up with this pointless lecture is just seeking undeserved attention and couldnt think of any meaningful way to go about it. Like seriously, what's the difference between "how was your day?" and "hope you had a good day?"

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking a neighbour "how was your night?" If the person had a good night, the person could truthfully answer "fine", or could decide to divulge more info if they so wish. Likewise if the person had a bad one, they could easily say "fine" if they dont feel comfortable duvulging further info. Too many oversabis just litter the world confysing themselves (and others) everyday. angry
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by obailala(m): 10:39am On Apr 03, 2018
5thElement:
Nigerians don't know how wrong that question is as a form of greeting until they leave the shores off their country and are forced to learn by... well, force.
Mr, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that statement. If the people in Uk typically say "hope you had a good night" and the people in Brazil say "how was your night" , the simple fact about it is that the people in UK say "hope you had a good night" and the people in Brazil say "how was your night"

None of them is wrong, people just have what they are used to and what the Op has put up there is absolute trash. Stop undermining yourself simply because you think the other person in the other country is 'better' than you and so therefore whatever they say must be more correct than yours.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 03, 2018
obailala:
Mr, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that statement. If the people in Uk typically say "hope you had a good night" and the people in Brazil say "how was your night" , the simple fact about it is that the people in UK say "hope you had a good night" and the people in Brazil say "how was your night"

None of them is wrong, people just have what they are used to and what the Op has put up there is absolute trash. Stop undermining yourself simply because you think the other person in the other country is 'better' than you and so therefore whatever they say must be more correct than yours.

Don't be silly Mr.

I've got a right to my opinion. You surely can make your point without being a d1ck, can't you? Or are you one of those teenagers running amok here on Nairaland.

I maintain my opinion. You can hold on to yours. Understood?
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 03, 2018
jaymichael:
Listic1 op, Following your logic, saying sunrise and sunset is wrong because technically, the sun neither rises nor set. The earth just rotate and revolve around the sun giving the 'appearances' of sunrise and sunset from the earth.

tongue
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Kobicove(m): 10:49am On Apr 03, 2018
firo08:
Bro your unwarrantable claim or assumption is nothing but a mere fallacy. You never back your claims with facts. Hope you had a good night? Or how was your night? Still bore down to Question. For me I see nothing wrong with asking someone how was your night.

Next time you see an American or European ask him "How was your night?" and see the kind of stare he would give you

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 03, 2018
Na when I live near your mamma u go know say how was ur night na better question
daclint:
Na when u live for Edo state u go know say how was ur night na better question
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by pkasso(m): 10:51am On Apr 03, 2018
The OP is totally on point! I thought I was the only one slightly uncomfortable with that question. I just cringe every time i hear it. 'How was your night?' has a rather mischievous and awkward tone to it. Like what was I up to during the night?
Well, it's none of your business.

To be fair though, in most cases, the question is usually innocent.

I think there are more appropriate expressions you can use e.g 'Did you sleep well?' 'Hope you had a good night rest'.

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by damselicious1(f): 11:10am On Apr 03, 2018
hmm.... you better leave English for the oyinbo
we are Nigerians,so we can also use the word the way we like. Is it by force to live according to the English man standard ?
Nairalanders how was your night (or nighties) jare
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by lorhema(f): 11:10am On Apr 03, 2018
5thElement:

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by wman(m): 11:15am On Apr 03, 2018
I hate hearing that question.
Very cringe worthy.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by obailala(m): 12:04pm On Apr 03, 2018
5thElement:

Don't be silly Mr.

I've got a right to my opinion. You surely can make your point without being a d1ck, can't you? Or are you one of those teenagers running amok here on Nairaland.

I maintain my opinion. You can hold on to yours. Understood?
When you go back and read my comment, you would realise clearly who really is running amok like a child over another's opinion.

I simply pointed out to you that there's nothing wrong with the greeting "how was your night". You mentioned something about the statement being wrong in some geographic locations and I pointed out that different localities have different greeting patterns and ours being different from some other location doesnt make ours wrong.

I do not see how my opinion was an insult to you except you are probably one of the unruly kids you talk about who read every different opinion as an insult.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 12:15pm On Apr 03, 2018
obailala:
[s]When you go back and read my comment, you would realise clearly who really is running amok like a child over another's opinion.

I simply pointed out to you that there's nothing wrong with the greeting "how was your night". You mentioned something about the statement being wrong in some geographic locations and I pointed out that different localities have different greeting patterns and ours being different from some other location doesnt make ours wrong.

I do not see how my opinion was an insult to you except you are probably one of the unruly kids you talk about who read every different opinion as an insult.[/s]

Mi o raye. Come back next year.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2018
lorhema:

Thank you.

You welcome. kiss
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Bimpe29: 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2018
I still can not see what's wrong with that (How was your night). Is just an interrogative statement, that simply requires your response of fine, cool, not fine etc.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by StillDeoye(m): 12:37pm On Apr 03, 2018
jaymichael:
Listic1 op, Following your logic, saying sunrise and sunset is wrong because technically, the sun neither rises nor set. The earth just rotate and revolve around the sun giving the 'appearances' of sunrise and sunset from the earth.

This head is full of oil. I love the angle you answered from.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 03, 2018
whats this one saying??......how was your night.......it was good or if you don't want to answer...you simply say "i Thank God".....
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 03, 2018
Bimpe29:
I still can not see what's wrong with that (How was your night). Is just an interrogative statement, that simply requires your response of fine, cool, not fine etc.
you dey mind the op.....
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by ilevic(m): 4:00pm On Apr 03, 2018
princejenks:

Second occurrence, at my cousins office.

English woman comes in and everyone exchange the usual good morning. Then, one 'nice' Naija brother goes, 'How was your night?' English woman flares up ' How dare you!?'. ' How is my night your business?' Etc, it took major intervention to calm the woman down..

What's this one saying now? So because one English woman, who probably had issues with her husband all night went mad because she was asked "how was your night" now makes it wrong? Abeggiiii Say another thing
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by ikombe: 10:41pm On Apr 03, 2018
Johnsown1:
Where is ikombe and wizsolzy it has been a while.
hey brother
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Johnsown1(m): 10:54pm On Apr 03, 2018
ikombe:
hey brother
How u been doing
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by ikombe: 11:01pm On Apr 03, 2018
Johnsown1:
How u been doing
been good man
and you
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Bifrost: 11:17pm On Apr 03, 2018
Just ask; "did you sleep well/Hope you slept well?" (This is more appropriate.)

From the question; "Did you sleep well/Hope you slept well?" we can have various responses like;

Oh, yes I did. Did you sleep well too?

Not quite, I had a nightmare.

I didn't get some sleep as I was up all night coding.

Went for a vigil.

Was up all night studying for a test.

I went for a party. yada yada yada!

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by wizsolzy(m): 3:29pm On Apr 04, 2018
Johnsown1:
Where is ikombe and wizsolzy it has been a while.
We dey here na

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Johnsown1(m): 6:26pm On Apr 04, 2018
wizsolzy:

We dey here na
Bad guys

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Johnsown1(m): 6:28pm On Apr 04, 2018
ikombe:
been good man

and you

Nice
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Listic1: 10:02pm On Apr 04, 2018
erad:
I feel Nigerians lack a sense of priority.
Imagine the pressing problem to some is the question, "How was your night"?
I guess different strokes for different folks though.
That said, I really see nothing wrong with the question.
While you might decide to be hypersensitive about it, that's strictly your opinion and feeling.
It would have made more sense if you stated not to like it and move on to state your reasons, rather than trying to speak for everyone else.
Personally, I appreciate when my friends ask how my night was especially considering the fact that I suffer from insomnia and don't get to sleep that often.
Someone asking how your night was doesn't warrant you narrating your night's activities to them, it's just their way of caring. Should they feel guilty for caring about you?
If you don't like the question, you tell them and that's that.

All those jargons up there is strictly my opinion.
Thank you.

OK
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Listic1: 10:07pm On Apr 04, 2018
Rubbiish:

This post doesn't make sense...
Do u know people get attacked in the night?
Do u know people get to see harmful animals within their house at night?
Do u know a healthy person can fall sick at night?
Do u know people don't get up to one hour sleep at night?
Asking someone how was your night only bespeaks u care about them....Same way u ask people how are u doing?....

OK
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Listic1: 10:08pm On Apr 04, 2018
obailala:
Seriously, how can I unread this nonsense I just read now?

The person who came up with this pointless lecture is just seeking undeserved attention and couldnt think of any meaningful way to go about it. Like seriously, what's the difference between "how was your day?" and "hope you had a good day?"

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking a neighbour "how was your night?" If the person had a good night, the person could truthfully answer "fine", or could decide to divulge more info if they so wish. Likewise if the person had a bad one, they could easily say "fine" if they dont feel comfortable duvulging further info. Too many oversabis just litter the world confysing themselves (and others) everyday. angry

OK.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Listic1: 10:11pm On Apr 04, 2018
ilevic:
I can't even make any sense out of the crap written by the Op.

Now look at this

My neighbor: Good morning Mr Ilevic, How was your night

me: My night wasn't too good

my neighbour: Heyaa sowie. What happened?

me: I couldn't sleep. I battled with mosquitoes all night

My neighbor: That's serious, I think you need to buy XYZ brand of insecticide

me: I Used ABC

my neighbor: Oh that is not effective. Buy XYZ

me: thanks am grateful

Op abeg tell where did u see anything like "how was last night s3x in the above conversation?. Pls don't miseducate us jare.

OK.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mention That Topic In Mathematics, That You Still Do Not Understand. / Covenant University Suspends Final Year Students For Missing Easter Programme / NDU Students Escaping From Amassoma Through Forest And River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.