Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

No More 'How Was Your Night?'! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No More 'How Was Your Night?'! (29320 Views)

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English / Best Answer For How Was Your Night! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by wayne4loan: 7:41am On Apr 03, 2018
samwobi:
The reason I Was Expecting You To Present Is Not The One You Gave. I Read Somewhere That When Someone Ask You You 'how Was Your Night?' It Means How S3z Of Last Night Went, On This Basis I Believe It Is Wrong

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Offpoint: 7:41am On Apr 03, 2018
op how was your night? I dey my house come beat me.

I can't believe I woke up and wasted the first 3 minutes of my Tuesdays reading Jargons
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by oyetunder(m): 7:41am On Apr 03, 2018
���this epistle because of a common useless question that requires 'fine o, I bless God' as an answer...Next please!

3 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 03, 2018
I don't die when i speel bro. And yes, you can actually have a fantastic night. Try sleeping without light for 2 hours at night and getting sucked to death by mosquitos versus sleeping 8 hours under an AC

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 03, 2018
erad:
I feel Nigerians lack a sense of priority.
Imagine the pressing problem to some is the question, "How was your night"?
I guess different strokes for different strokes though.
That said, I really see nothing wrong with the question.
While you might decide to be hypersensitive about it, that's strictly your opinion and feeling.
It would have made more sense if you stated not to like it and move on to state your reasons, rather than trying to speak for everyone else.
Personally, I appreciate when my friends ask how my night was especially considering the fact that I suffer from insomnia and don't get to sleep that often.
Someone asking how your night was doesn't warrant you narrating your night's activities to them, it's just their way of caring. Should they feel guilty for caring about you?
If you don't like the question, you tell them and that's that.

All those jargons up there is strictly my opinion.
Thank you.
You are correct
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Prettyyemi(f): 7:42am On Apr 03, 2018
This is what I do!!..
I don't ask strangers or my neighbours, how was ur night??..
I only ask my family members and my friends..
Asking that question shows that u wanna know how their night went..
It doesn't mean u have to start asking people living around u..
Good morning is good enough for them!!!
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by viktor88: 7:43am On Apr 03, 2018
Good morning beautiful how was your night?
I was wonderful with you by my side, open my eyes and see your sweet face.......
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Rubbiish(m): 7:45am On Apr 03, 2018
Listic1:
There is a growing but troubling trend in Nigeria. When your neighbours see you in the morning, they exchange the normal pleasantries: 'Good morning'. Immediately after that they go forcefully: 'How was your night?'. The (reluctant) response most times is: 'Fine'. But is this correct? Hold it for a second. Is the question even proper in the first place? Let us see.

When people sleep, they practically die. They are unaware of their environment and so, cannot truthfully answer any question relating to that episode. On those occasions when they did not really sleep, do we expect them to relay their activities to their interrogator? How do we expect a married person, for instance, to bare out their nightly activities with their partner to a neighbour? This cannot be right. To put it in very plain terms, it is inappropriate!

Well, how can we go around this faux pas? It is pretty straightforward. Instead of asking: 'How was your night?', we could say: 'I hope you had a good night's rest?' or 'I hope you slept well!' or something along those lines. In that case, the one being asked can truthfully say: 'Yes, thank you'. However, if the respondent's experience was unpalatable, they could, at their discretion, explain why that was so.

As a rule of thumb, in conversing with friends, acquaintances and even strangers it is best to concentrate on or limit oneself only to what is before the parties: the person! There is actually no point asking very personal and private questions. It does not show that one truly cares. As we take these suggestions on board, we introduce decorum into our conversations.

@ODNEsq; Listic1
This post doesn't make sense...
Do u know people get attacked in the night?
Do u know people get to see harmful animals within their house at night?
Do u know a healthy person can fall sick at night?
Do u know people don't get up to one hour sleep at night?
Asking someone how was your night only bespeaks u care about them....Same way u ask people how are u doing?....

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Rubbiish(m): 7:47am On Apr 03, 2018
erad:
I guess different strokes for different strokes though.
While you might decide to be hypersensitive about it, that's strictly your opinion and feeling.
It would have made more sense if you stated not to like it and move on to state your reasons, rather than trying to speak for everyone else.
Personally, I appreciate when my friends ask how my night was especially considering the fact that I suffer from insomnia and don't get to sleep that often.
Someone asking how your night was doesn't warrant you narrating your night's activities to them, it's just their way of caring. Should they feel guilty for caring about you?

Thank you.
God bless u...

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Johnsown1(m): 7:47am On Apr 03, 2018
Where is ikombe and wizsolzy it has been a while.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by websiteguru30: 7:51am On Apr 03, 2018
samwobi:
I said i read somewhere. I don't knw hw true it is. That Is The Origin According To What I Read.
you are right.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by firo08(m): 7:52am On Apr 03, 2018
Bro your unwarrantable claim or assumption is nothing but a mere fallacy. You never back your claims with facts. Hope you had a good night? Or how was your night? Still bore down to Question. For me I see nothing wrong with asking someone how was your night.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by IamFisherman(m): 7:54am On Apr 03, 2018
Nice piece
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Enemyofpeace: 7:58am On Apr 03, 2018
Lalasticlala,seun,mukina2,mynd44,rokia2,labake1,ajepako,funjosh,aminat508 and edwife how was your night? Una put something inside something?
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by jiorhemen(m): 8:01am On Apr 03, 2018
Listic1:
There is a growing but troubling trend in Nigeria. When your neighbours see you in the morning, they exchange the normal pleasantries: 'Good morning'. Immediately after that they go forcefully: 'How was your night?'. The (reluctant) response most times is: 'Fine'. But is this correct? Hold it for a second. Is the question even proper in the first place? Let us see.

When people sleep, they practically die. They are unaware of their environment and so, cannot truthfully answer any question relating to that episode. On those occasions when they did not really sleep, do we expect them to relay their activities to their interrogator? How do we expect a married person, for instance, to bare out their nightly activities with their partner to a neighbour? This cannot be right. To put it in very plain terms, it is inappropriate!

Well, how can we go around this faux pas? It is pretty straightforward. Instead of asking: 'How was your night?', we could say: 'I hope you had a good night's rest?' or 'I hope you slept well!' or something along those lines. In that case, the one being asked can truthfully say: 'Yes, thank you'. However, if the respondent's experience was unpalatable, they could, at their discretion, explain why that was so.

As a rule of thumb, in conversing with friends, acquaintances and even strangers it is best to concentrate on or limit oneself only to what is before the parties: the person! There is actually no point asking very personal and private questions. It does not show that one truly cares. As we take these suggestions on board, we introduce decorum into our conversations.

@ODNEsq; Listic1

There is nothing wrong with the phrase 'how was your night?' You are only trying to make it look like it's inappropriate because the phrase is now being used all the time by everyone (both good and bad English speakers). My guess is that you are someone who doesn't like overused and worn out phrases and words just like me. The use of the phrase has become too common that it can be classified as worn out phrase. You are only trying to suggest alternative phrases that can be used in the morning instead of the overused and worn out "how was your night". I have met native English speakers who greeted me with the phrase in the morning. It's not a bad form of greeting.

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Yankiss(m): 8:08am On Apr 03, 2018
It is colloquial use and therefore excusable. Nothing is wrong about it. The inquirer merely wants to know you had a trouble-free night. No interpolations. You are not expected to say blow by blow what happened. A terse summary like , fine, always suffices. Let us be guided.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 03, 2018
Jackossky:

So na your own point be that abi

Abeg, someone should help me with the meme

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by princeade86(m): 8:26am On Apr 03, 2018
pls what is d different between HOLDUP & GO SLOW.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by rolams(m): 8:29am On Apr 03, 2018
Nothing bad in asking "how was your night" the questioner didnt ask you to narrate what went wrong or right about your night. Infact, it is the same as "how are you" It only shows you care about that person.

The above point is just my opinion though
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by daclint(m): 8:29am On Apr 03, 2018
Na when u live for Edo state u go know say how was ur night na better question

1 Like

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by SoNature(m): 8:40am On Apr 03, 2018
Listic1:

@ODNEsq; Listic1

Someone should be mindful of what they post online.

'How was your night?' is a very normal way of furthering a conversation.

I had to ask some Americans and British people, whose first language is English, and they opined that they use it in their regular colloquial. I could provide a link to their answers, if you want.

Again, let's stop making a mountain out of a molehill.

'How was your night' is likened to how are you doing.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Ramaa(m): 8:47am On Apr 03, 2018
nonsense....

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by princejenks(m): 8:48am On Apr 03, 2018
COPIED from Mrs Olukemi Ajayi's Wall:

The phrase ' How was your night?' In the English language means, , ' How was last night's sex?'

Or, if for instance, we are close and you know I went home with a man or woman last night and you ask as an accomplice ' How was your night?' In this case it simply means, ' so did it go well or did it go as expected?'

I'll give you two real life examples. One was mine and one happened in my cousins office. She consults for the UN.

In my own case, I jog most mornings. Years back, having just returned to the country, this young man will greet me every morning and I'll answer. Then one day, he asked me, 'How was your night?' He went merrily on his way, I stopped, turned looking at him in anger fuming. My thoughts were, ' it's not your fault, if I hadn't been responding to your 'good morning' will we graduate to 'How was your night?'

Second occurrence, at my cousins office.

English woman comes in and everyone exchange the usual good morning. Then, one 'nice' Naija brother goes, 'How was your night?' English woman flares up ' How dare you!?'. ' How is my night your business?' Etc, it took major intervention to calm the woman down.

The answer to ' How was your night?' Is actually 'none of your business!'

I have checked our local languages, I am fluent in two, and passable in one. Even as transliteration, no Nigerian language asks 'How was your night?' I am checking because this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 7years ago. I suspect,some 'oversabi wannabe' heard it on a music video somewhere and wanted to form posh or as my Doctor friend said to me, it may have come from hospitals. It's common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths to May occur at night. So a doctor's question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually 'How was your night?' If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at deaths door?

The proper address for mornings is simply 'good morning' and if you want to spice it up by being overtly friendly, you may add 'hope you slept well?' A person's night. Is not our business.

If we are Igbo it's either, ibolachi- have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, ekaro- good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won't to do by adding ",se daada Leji' - hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks 'How was your night?' So, No! It is not African either.

So let us be well aware when we leave our lanes to go measuring that of others.....

#Brainzy

Have u learnt something here?
Pls put it to use. A call for repentance��. Copied. I certainly learnt something here so I shared. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Igweann979(f): 8:52am On Apr 03, 2018
AuntyAmope:
Nonsense! I was actually expecting him to grammatically prove how wrong it is. Not the friday sermon he wrote. undecided
what is "Grammatically prove" explain sharp sharp or remain a olodo for ever
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by boyjo: 8:55am On Apr 03, 2018
Listic1 You hate the question because you had sex and think that that is what they are referring to.

How are you?
How was your night?
How was your night rest rest?
How was your weekend?
How was the public hols?

...are all correct okay?
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Oduwils222(m): 9:01am On Apr 03, 2018
erad:
I guess different strokes for different folks though.

Thank you.
U r very correct bro. He wants to speak 4 evry1
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by 2kris(m): 9:03am On Apr 03, 2018
Fabulous47:
So," how was your night" is wrong? undecided
the question is misplaced not wrong
I think how did your night go is ok
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by boyjo: 9:07am On Apr 03, 2018
2kris:
the question is misplaced not wrong
I think how did your night go is ok

How was the public hols?
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 03, 2018
sirgalahad26:
nice write up and very educative
bcoz u were never educated
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 03, 2018
ilevic:
I can't even make any sense out of the crap written by the Op.

Now look at this

My neighbor: Good morning Mr Ilevic, How was your night

me: My night wasn't too good

my neighbour: Heyaa sowie. What happened?

me: I couldn't sleep. I battled with mosquitoes all night

My neighbor: That's serious, I think you need to buy XYZ brand of insecticide

me: I Used ABC

my neighbor: Oh that is not effective. Buy XYZ

me: thanks am grateful

Op abeg tell where did u see anything like "how was last night s3x in the above conversation?. Pls don't miseducate us jare.
no mind d idiot op.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by sirgalahad26(m): 9:18am On Apr 03, 2018
pesinfada:
bcoz u were never educated
i hope u can finish what u wanna start??!!!
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by poseidon12: 9:24am On Apr 03, 2018
erad:
I guess different strokes for different folks though.

Thank you.

People generally ask those questions, not because they care, but just to fulfill all righteousness. What would they really do for you if you start telling them about your insomnia?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mention That Topic In Mathematics, That You Still Do Not Understand. / Covenant University Suspends Final Year Students For Missing Easter Programme / NDU Students Escaping From Amassoma Through Forest And River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.