Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,455 members, 7,812,395 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC (18676 Views)

List Of NUC Accredited Courses In University Of Uyo / Son Of Nuc executive secretary Graduate From Uk Univeraity / Irresponsibility Of University Portal Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by J2381: 3:50pm On Apr 04, 2018
SammieJayh:

Not in this case because its clearly a Christian school and its indicated in the handbook that chapel defaulters are liable to face expulsion.

So by default if you arent a christian, you apply at your own risk and must bend to their rules(doctrines). So its not even forceful indoctrination(case no dey here)

If I attend Al-Hikmah, I'm expected to go to the mosque.
My aunt turned down a Qatar visa a few years ago because she couldn't live by their rules.

If you don't want indoctrination, then go to ABUAD, AUN, BAZE, Turkish Nile, Elizade e.t.c. and don't come here wailing about CU.
So you're telling me their rule(s) supersede that enacted by the NUC? Or they (Covenant University) didn't follow NUC guidelines when establishing their university?

So can we see where it's indicated in their school rule book that chapel defaulters will be expelled?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 3:53pm On Apr 04, 2018
HRHQueenPhil:
their website has all their rules written dere, u can go and read it, hairstyle and grooming is very important there. before students apply to the school, go and read dier by laws. dats why banks are defrauding customers becos dey wont read d terms and conditions

Yes, I was even asked if I had read the handbook during my screening last year, what I feel about them, if I was ready to follow them and if I was ready to face the punishment for defaulting.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by drmuri(m): 3:56pm On Apr 04, 2018
since the tin god of covenant university is bald, every student must look like him, to be religiously correct you know.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by XaviDayo(m): 4:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
SammieJayh:

NUC can't even regulate CU's fees when they clearly know how much it costs to run a school and there are even schools with 3 to 5 times the fees of CU.

Lobatan.... Government can sit with these institutions and come up with a workable plan as regards fees so the citizens pay what can be termed fair to both the students and institution.

U get point sha
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 4:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
WinningSun:

maybe you should read the case on Rosa park V the state of Alabama.

have you heaerd of anything called civil disobedience.

or you're just another educated mugu

This issue has no similar ingredient with the case you are citing.

Are you, in your own educational/legal prowess trying to equate normal and reasonable school regulations with racial segregation-induced bus driver nonsense

Oh common!
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 04, 2018
eodavids:

This issue has no similar ingredient with the case you are citing.

Are you, in your own educational/legal prowess trying to equate normal and reasonable school regulations with racial segregation-induced bus driver nonsense

Oh common!

oh so a case of human rights breach being committed within an institution that is located in a lawful country is bull shot. ok

I hear you.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by DrayZee: 4:27pm On Apr 04, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:
This is not going anywhere. They did not force you to apply to Covenant University
I know you'll feel the need to defend the school because you think this is just one of those 'hater' threads.
Let me inform you that the students who got shaved actually had compliant hair styles and lengths before the punishment occurred.
This was done because they apparently did not carry their Bibles to a particular chapel service.

Now that you have a more detailed understanding of the matter, do you still think it's justified?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Osama801: 4:28pm On Apr 04, 2018
CORPORAL PUNISHMENT ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF PUPILS IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN ITU LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA
....You can get the full project material for the above topic and lot more on:
http://www.greatmindsprojectmaterials.com
OR
http://achieversprojectmaterials..com.ng
....You can also reach us on 08058580848 AND 08140350866
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 5:10pm On Apr 04, 2018
WinningSun:

oh so a case of human rights breach being committed within an institution that is located in a lawful country is bull shot. ok

I hear you.

You should know that RIGHTS CORRELATE WITH DUTIES AND THE DUTIES OF THESE STUDENTS BEGINGS WITH OBEYING THE RULES AND REGULATIONS OF CU.

Its your opinion that a right has been infringed upon. But, I find it insufficient to claim that right to carry bushy hair is one of the "Human Rights"

Do not trivialize human rights. These matter does not fall within the recognizable ingredients of human right violation.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 5:11pm On Apr 04, 2018
J2381:
So you're telling me their rule(s) supersede that enacted by the NUC? Or they (Covenant University) didn't follow NUC guidelines when establishing their university?

So can we see where it's indicated in their school rule book that chapel defaulters will be expelled?

http://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/Downloads/pdf/2013-2017-student-hand-book

And please tell me the rules enacted by NUC.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by J2381: 5:21pm On Apr 04, 2018
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by MrRichmond: 6:01pm On Apr 04, 2018
kingreign:
I owe you a beer
beer in Cannan land? it's like you want your dick to be chopped off grin
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 6:02pm On Apr 04, 2018
XaviDayo:

Lobatan.... Government can sit with these institutions and come up with a workable plan as regards fees so the citizens pay what can be termed fair to both the students and institution.

U get point sha

Workable plan
Is it the same governments that have not been able to fund her own universities that will help out with private schools?
I guess you haven't seen the news where the 'honourable' minister of education said private unis shouldn't expect any form of funding, subsidy or assistance from the FG.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by kingreign(m): 6:27pm On Apr 04, 2018
MrRichmond:

beer in Cannan land?
it's like you want your dick to be chopped off grin

Some over 'holy boys' wanted to cut my head here. Got to an extent one idiot called me over the phone to talk trash I had to shut his filthy mouth up! angry

grin

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by uyiekpenn(m): 6:39pm On Apr 04, 2018
SammieJayh:

Please what school is this?
Western Delta University.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 7:45pm On Apr 04, 2018
J2381:
http://nuc.edu.ng/project/scopu/

And which of them has covenant university broken?
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 7:49pm On Apr 04, 2018
eodavids:

You should know that RIGHTS CORRELATE WITH DUTIES AND THE DUTIES OF THESE STUDENTS BEGINGS WITH OBEYING THE RULES AND REGULATIONS OF CU.

Its your opinion that a right has been infringed upon. But, I find it insufficient to claim that right to carry bushy hair is one of the "Human Rights"

Do not trivialize human rights. These matter does not fall within the recognizable ingredients of human right violation.
you don't even know what you're saying.

good night
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by J2381: 8:32pm On Apr 04, 2018
SammieJayh:

And which of them has covenant university broken?
You refuse to tell if the rules of Covenant University supersede that of NUC?
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by flawedkay(m): 8:40pm On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd:

I just think that our brand of Christianity in Nigeria is very loveless and strange. And I am beginning to see and get tired of it myself.

The privileges and goodwill the early missionaries enjoyed due to their selflessness and love is being eroded today by several misdeeds of the Nigerian church. That lack of self regulation has put members constantly on defense either trying to defend the pastors, schools or the church as a whole.

I remembered how one of my friends who had to drop out of Covenant for academic reasons promised not to go to church again, since according to him all the services he has attended compulsorily in CU was going to compensate for a life of no more church. He left for Canada to continue schooling. But I doubt the guy has ever stepped into church ever since...

Covenant is not the first Christian school so they should calm down abeg. Yonsei is one of the three most reputable universities in South Korea and is a Christian university but the school focuses on sharing, community service and volunteering... How about CU starts focusing on love and tolerance too, because Christianity without love is unrecognizable.

Highered...i really admire ur vastness and indepth knowledge on tertiary institutions worldwide, i dnt wantu believe u got all dat from ur fone.....right from the time u explained skul rankings, i was just thrilled dt sum1 culd invest much time and attention in that...I'm soo impressed by d way...and i think u mentioned something abt building ur own ranking system...i look forward to dat....... and u post accurate information....see as i dey feel u like say i be girl grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:09pm On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd:
Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of National Universities Commission

Covenant University today has become the epitome of religious oppression, mockery and is proof of how terrible the Nigerian educational space can get if not well regulated.

Today we witnessed possibly hundreds of the so called "Kings and Queens of Hebron" having their hair scrapped to humiliate and shame them for not bringing bibles to Church. Worse still, is that the instrument used in scrapping the hair of possibly hundreds of students was not safe as they use it on students after students without visibly sterilizing it.

It saddens me that an institution with so much potential to become one of Africa's best universities has decided to go this path of oppression and senselessness and the National Universities Commission is complicit in allowing this evil happen unchecked, by failing to protect the rights of Nigerian students or creating regulations preventing them from oppressing students.

The irresponsibility of NUC not only shows in their lack of desire to protect students of private universities but even students of public universities who have also been subjected to ridiculous treatments in their universities

As a nation we've failed our people in the public education system and we are equally failing our people in the private educational system. We've failed to check the educational activities of our religious organizations not minding the oppression and sometimes, indoctrination that happens silently in those organizations. We've made higher education an all comers affair without putting in regulations binding church or islamic universities from doing just as they like. I hope we would not wake up someday to realise an entire segment of the population of the country indoctrinated thanks to our nonchalance.

It is time for NUC to do better by creating a comprehensive guideline for Private universities which would prevent students from being forced to go to chapel or mosques, attend prayers or unofficial meetings and equally scrutinize the handbooks of all universities making sure it doesn't violate the constitutional rights of students.

For purpose of emphasis and clarity there is no section of Covenant University's handbook of 2013-2017 where it is written that students hair can be scrapped with an unsterilized equipment because students refused to bring bibles to church.

This is also a wakeup call to students of Covenant university to challenge Covenant over their non constitutional behavior in a federal high court over the public health risks they were subjected to by Covenant University. By HigherEd

Lalasticlala pls help move to fp

Its a vicious cycle.
First their parents were indoctrinated and convinced to fund their education in Convenant; next the children are oppressed.
A new generation of sheep being raised.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 9:17pm On Apr 04, 2018
J2381:
You refuse to tell if the rules of Covenant University supersede that of NUC?

your link didnt list any rule, it only demanded for the school's philosophy and objectives, then I saw a place that requires a draft of the university's law.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by J2381: 9:25pm On Apr 04, 2018
SammieJayh:

your link didnt list any rule, it only demanded for the school's philosophy and objectives, then I saw a place that requires a draft of the university's law.
school's philosophy and objective?

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by HigherEd: 9:36pm On Apr 04, 2018
flawedkay:

Highered...i really admire ur vastness and indepth knowledge on tertiary institutions worldwide, i dnt wantu believe u got all dat from ur fone.....right from the time u explained skul rankings, i was just thrilled dt sum1 culd invest much time and attention in that...I'm soo impressed by d way...and i think u mentioned something abt building ur own ranking system...i look forward to dat....... and u post accurate information....see as i dey feel u like say i be girl grin
Thank you cheesy yes I plan on building a ranking system and its something I am currently working on.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 9:58pm On Apr 04, 2018
J2381:
school's philosophy and objective?

I see your point now.

The school is open to all Nigerians, the issue now is having to follow the rules of the institution.
I have a muslim friend who can't attend covenant university(she knows the quality of education there but won't apply) because she cant attend church services...this is the same reason why I can't attend Al-hikmah or Al-qalam because I cant follow their doctrines.

But I can definitely apply to them and get admitted...that's what the clause on NUC's page means.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by HigherEd: 11:11pm On Apr 04, 2018
flawedkay:

Thank you cheesy yes I plan on building a ranking system and its something I am currently working on with some other guys.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 11:56pm On Apr 04, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:
This is not going anywhere. They did not force you to apply to Covenant University
It doesn't mean they should be treated that way like a baby in secondary school. There is a limit they can go in doing this or better still update the by laws in matters like this. The students still share part of the blame by not adhering to the school rules.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 05, 2018
tayoccu:

you have no idea how fast rule evolve there, it's almost impossible to graduate from that school without getting into trouble
It is very possible to graduate from there. It boils down to your up bringing and training you had. It is only those that are loose that can really fit in since they might be uncomfortable
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by CodeTemplar: 2:55am On Apr 05, 2018
HigherEd:

Thank you cheesy yes I plan on building a ranking system and its something I am currently working on with some other guys.
Cool. We need sane ranking system. Not some ranking based on the population of 3rd class and pass.

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by J2381: 5:24am On Apr 05, 2018
SammieJayh:

I see your point now.

The school is open to all Nigerians, the issue now is having to follow the rules of the institution.
I have a muslim friend who can't attend covenant university(she knows the quality of education there but won't apply) because she cant attend church services...this is the same reason why I can't attend Al-hikmah or Al-qalam because I cant follow their doctrines.

But I can definitely apply to them and get admitted...that's what the clause on NUC's page means.
all the same, doesn't give the school the right to shave the heads of students just because they didn't bring bibles to chapel.
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by tayoccu(m): 9:36am On Apr 05, 2018
asuustrike2009:

It is very possible to graduate from there. It boils down to your up bringing and training you had. It is only those that are loose that can really fit in since they might be uncomfortable

did you read what I wrote or did you just skim through it?
in a school where rules evolve by the second, where rules are reviewed on a whim, It is Almost IMPOSSIBLE to graduate without getting into trouble
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by TheVictorious(m): 12:01pm On Apr 05, 2018
Thank you for publishing this HigherEd 'cos all these nonsense just have to stop!
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by TheVictorious(m): 12:06pm On Apr 05, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:

Stop typing nonsense. Which way Nigeria, must we always defend oppression? Even those of us that graduated from CU attest that this is insane and call for sanction of whoever came up with this idea if the current management ever wants to be taken serious again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Celebrating Great Ife @ 50 / Coronavirus: Kwara Govt To Shut Down Schools From March 23 / Henry Ogorchukwu Abanum: UNIBEN Best Student Gets N250k From Engr Osifo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.