Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? (4270 Views)

Christians From Other Denominations Will Bow Before You - Adeboye Prays For RCCG / Can You Cancel Marriage Because Of Church Denominations Difference? / Do You Still Honour Church Invitation To Other Denominations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 11:55pm On Apr 03, 2018
Religions like Christianity claim they worship one true god, YAHWEH. They also claim that the Bible contains the word of god inspired by the holy spirit but what I find amusing is that they find it difficult to agree on basic doctrines such as the trinity which are the bedrock of the christian faith.

This gives rise to numerous denominations which keeps springing up every day. Each denomination hates the other and are always at logger heads. You can see their debates and arguments everywhere even here on nairaland. Can anyone explain this or is the holy spirit a spirit of confusion and chaos??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Eze4tonyTc(m): 11:58pm On Apr 03, 2018
FTC this really is a pressing issue one God tho
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by DrPurple(m): 12:21am On Apr 04, 2018
I Think It The Difference In Belief And Doctrine And The Way Individuals Understand The Bible...
I Also Think That Difference In Ethnicity And Culture Too.

#Purple
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Apr 10, 2018
sKeetz:
Religions like Christianity claim they worship one true god, YAHWEH. They also claim that the Bible contains the word of god inspired by the holy spirit but what I find amusing is that they find it difficult to agree on basic doctrines such as the trinity which are the bedrock of the christian faith.

This gives rise to numerous denominations which keeps springing up every day. Each denomination hates the other and are always at logger heads. You can see their debates and arguments everywhere even here on nairaland. Can anyone explain this or is the holy spirit a spirit of confusion and chaos??

To identify the true Christians you need to read about Jesus and carefully study His comments on every issue,by so doing you'll be able to identify the group following His footsteps. As for many different religions claiming Christian it's because every nation around the east have realized that Israelites have a God that's invincible so they're all trying to relate with the God of Israel! Even Arabs who are eternal enemies of Israelites are also trying to relate with the God of Israel,referring to all ancient faithful Israelites as prophets and insisted on calling them in Arabic. But all these religions are different because they believe in their founders they revered as prophets "not Jesus" including Muslims who are following Muhammad(an Arabian who tried to copy the Catholic Church during the 6th century)

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by hopefulLandlord: 6:25pm On Apr 10, 2018
In a nutshell, its because Yahweh, Jesus and holy spirit are imaginary

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Butterflyleo: 6:29pm On Apr 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

That's your opinion and to be honest, its a silly opinion to have when looked at from a Christian perspective and a deluded one to have when looked at from an atheists persprctive especially since you talk more about this Jesus and Yahweh whom you say is imaginary than you do about yourselves.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 8:36pm On Apr 12, 2018
Christianity is just so confusing. You can derive different meaning to verses or chapters in the bible and have other chapters and verses to back it up. Armed with this bibles verses/chapters, you can start your own denomination and win thousands of converts in no time.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 8:39pm On Apr 12, 2018
Riofidelio:
To identify the true Christians you need to read about Jesus and carefully study His comments on every issue,by so doing you'll be able to identify the group following His footsteps. As for many different religions claiming Christian it's because every nation around the east have realized that Israelites have a God that's invincible so they're all trying to relate with the God of Israel! Even Arabs who are eternal enemies of Israelites are also trying to relate with the God of Israel,referring to all ancient faithful Israelites as prophets and insisted on calling them in Arabic. But all these religions are different because they believe in their founders they revered as prophets "not Jesus" including Muslims who are following Muhammad(an Arabian who tried to copy the Catholic Church during the 16th century)

So which of the numerous Christian denomination is authentic and the original?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 12, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 12, 2018
sKeetz:
Christianity is just so confusing. You can derive different meaning to verses or chapters in the bible and have other chapters and verses to back it up. Armed with this bibles verses/chapters, you can start your own denomination and win thousands of converts in no time.

rubbish,if u know little engage me and I will enlighten u and hopefully open ur eyes
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 9:40pm On Apr 12, 2018
Chidorx60:
rubbish,if u know little engage me and I will enlighten u and hopefully open ur eyes

We are not fighting. If you have something tangible to say then say it, I don't need to engage you.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 12, 2018
sKeetz:

We are not fighting. If you have something tangible to say then say it, I don't need to engage you.
sorry to have sounded harsh, replying me was what I meant by engaging me. in Christianity diversities in ministry leads to what u tag as denominations because people are not the same everywere eg peter proclaimed Christ among Jews in Israel but Paul was commissioned to the gentiles,also spiritual gift are very essential in diversifying ministry.now ur atheistic outlook may make u laugh widely at this but nevertheless it is the truth. have an open mind look at ur world and u will discover that ur points for disregarding Christianity are not just good enough
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by TOSIN116: 10:48pm On Apr 12, 2018
sKeetz:

i'll recommend
ANGLICAN
RCCG

...anyone can add to the list
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by achorladey: 12:32am On Apr 13, 2018
There are and there will still be more because those who called themselves christians under various denominations today dont know this simple truth which is ........... Christianity is the only one true religion. Get the thinking around this.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 3:07am On Apr 13, 2018
Chidorx60:
sorry to have sounded harsh, replying me was what I meant by engaging me. in Christianity diversities in ministry leads to what u tag as denominations because people are not the same everywere eg peter proclaimed Christ among Jews in Israel but Paul was commissioned to the gentiles,also spiritual gift are very essential in diversifying ministry.now ur atheistic outlook may make u laugh widely at this but nevertheless it is the truth. have an open mind look at ur world and u will discover that ur points for disregarding Christianity are not just good enough

People are not the same everywhere I agree but there is only one YAHWEH right? All the different christian denominations claim they've been inspired by the holy spirit. If they all are inspired by the holy spirit, why are there contradictions in the way they understand the same bible

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 3:07am On Apr 13, 2018
TOSIN116:

i'll recommend
ANGLICAN
RCCG

can you tell me the criteria you used in picking this churches?
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 3:09am On Apr 13, 2018
achorladey:
There are and there will still be more because those who called themselves christians under various denominations today dont know this simple truth which is ........... Christianity is the only one true religion. Get the thinking around this.

Tell that to the Muslim,Hindu or Buddhist who thinks his religion is the only one true religion. Its your word against his.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by TOSIN116: 6:52am On Apr 13, 2018
sKeetz:

can you tell me the criteria you used in picking this churches?
well they don't worship mary
or allow indecent dress
or claim only their members will go to heaven
or says you must go to the mountains
before you prayers and answered

the list continues...
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by hopefulLandlord: 6:59am On Apr 13, 2018
TOSIN116:

or allow indecent dress

the list continues...

I thought Adeboye said anyone not paying tithes is going to hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7C3VExeY6A

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:25am On Apr 13, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

VERY SHAMEFUL HOW THESE MEN CONTINUE FEED OFF THE FEAR, CONDITION, AND GULLIBILITY OF THE MASSES.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by TOSIN116: 7:44am On Apr 13, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

NOT PAYING TITHE IS DISOBEDIENCE TO GOD! angry

or you want your pastor to go hungry grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by achorladey: 8:59am On Apr 13, 2018
sKeetz:

Tell that to the Muslim,Hindu or Buddhist who thinks his religion is the only one true religion. Its your word against his.
You have only responded but you are yet to get your thinking around why I said christianity is the only one true religion. Your thread is centred around denominations. My thinking is not in that direction at all. Among the above mentioned religion, which one is not denominated?
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by frank317: 9:05am On Apr 13, 2018
Butterflyleo:

That's your opinion and to be honest, its a silly opinion to have when looked at from a Christian perspective and a deluded one to have when looked at from an atheists persprctive especially since you talk more about this Jesus and Yahweh whom you say is imaginary than you do about yourselves.

So how did this stop Yaweh from being imaginary

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 1:08pm On Apr 13, 2018
achorladey:

You have only responded but you are yet to get your thinking around why I said christianity is the only one true religion. Your thread is centred around denominations. My thinking is not in that direction at all. Among the above mentioned religion, which one is not denominated?

So why don't you stick to the discussion at hand and not deflect ?
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by DrPurple(m): 1:12pm On Apr 13, 2018
TOSIN116:
i'll recommend ANGLICAN RCCG
Baptist And MFM Too Are Not Too Bad... #Purple
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 1:19pm On Apr 13, 2018
TOSIN116:

or allow indecent dress

the list continues...

This is most probably where you worship so I think you're biased. A Catholic or Jehovah witness will beg to differ and back it up with relevant scriptures.

Once again, it's your word against theirs.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 13, 2018
sKeetz:

It's very simple, Jesus commissioned a task that after He's gone people later saw His followers and IDENTIFIED them by the task He commissioned in Antioch. So let's read how He gave them the work and what he said will happen to them if they're doing what He sent them in Matthew 10. Any religious group that are widely known for this act are those we should call Christians! We shouldn't forget that Satan confused Israelites with different forms of religion so that when the Messiah finally arrived they started criticizing Him and His followers because of what those religions have taught them! Satan is still very much around and his tactics the same, he just confuse people by initiating many religions in Jesus name(2Corinthians 11:13/14) but that single one belonging to Jesus will be treated exactly the way they treated Jesus' followers in the first century! So whoever wants to know them can read now and start looking at all those religions claiming Christian.

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by achorladey: 1:57pm On Apr 13, 2018
sKeetz:

There are many denominations in christianity because the many who professed to be christians do not under this term "CHRISTIANITY" as captured in the title of this thread.
Paul stated: What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”;another, “I follow Cephas ”; still another, “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? 1 Corinthians 1:12,13

Paul continued.......God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things
—and the things that are not—to nullify the
things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.” If you under this then you know that Paul's idea of christianity do not involve denominations at all.
1 Corinthians 1: 27-31
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Apr 13, 2018
When talking about the way to worship God, Christianity is like the ONLY original currency that can buy God's approval that's why Satan is busy increasing the counterfeit to deceive people so that with thousands of different religious groups claiming Christians nobody will know about the personality that God gave mankind as a role model to follow. Rather people will be confused by referring to those who are part of the counterfeits, but the only original group will suffer vilification because Satan will make people view them as evil,useless,worthless,foolish even abnormal. Matthew 10:22 One other thing is everywhere you'll hear people saying about Jesus' true followers "they love their members" John 13:35
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 13, 2018
TOSIN116:

NOT PAYING TITHE IS DISOBEDIENCE TO GOD! angry

or you want your pastor to go hungry grin

what of the other laws in the old testament that you guys have discarded, even certain ones in the new testament too,are those ones not disobedience to Yahweh,or you select the ones that favour you and discard the ones that seem archaic ?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by achorladey: 2:12pm On Apr 13, 2018
sKeetz:

So far on this thread you will have seen people choosing various denominations above the other. Is that not what Paul was correcting the christians living in Corinth not to do. Therefore, mans tendency to have some one to lead him and direct him as continually led men to choose leaders or stay under the various leadership of religious organization and denominations and continually raise their own denomination above the other. They have forgotten that only one is your leader....."Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. Matthew 23:10. When you follow your leader you are a christian and you fall under the christian community that should not be breached by religious leaders of various denominations as rightly stated by Paul 1 Cor 1:10 - 17
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by achorladey: 2:33pm On Apr 13, 2018
Why are there too many denominations in christianity........because many christians do not understand what "christianity" means.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gods Word Fulfilled Right Before Our Eyes. Halleluiah / I Seriously Need A Miracle. Can Anyone Pray For Me? / Is Mastubation A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.