Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? (4292 Views)

Christians From Other Denominations Will Bow Before You - Adeboye Prays For RCCG / Can You Cancel Marriage Because Of Church Denominations Difference? / Do You Still Honour Church Invitation To Other Denominations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 9:54am On Apr 15, 2018
Chidorx60:
omg,is that all u could deduct from what I said, the same way we have collaborations to prove a mathematical hypothesis,were different point of views are added up by different minds,one scripture can have different meanings and the HolyGhost reveals as much as he wants to whom he wants, as long as its edifies the body of Christ, the only author of confusion is Satan,and people who view the scriptures from human perspectives

Math is a science and science deals with evidence. In maths, one can use different methods and arrive at the same conclusion but this methods have been tested and trusted. Same cannot be said of religion so don't equate the both.

If you say that the Holy Spirit reveals what he wants to who he wants, doesn't that tell you that the Holy Spirit cannot be trusted and whatever he reveals should be taken with a pinch of salt ?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 9:58am On Apr 15, 2018
TOSIN116:

any doctrines not in line with the sciptures is false
and i never said mine is the best
i said that what i can boast of
i know the are other good churches out there.
m

How do you tell which doctrine is in line with the doctrine cause every church has a scripture backing up their belief?

You say their doctrine is false, they say yours is false; it's an endless back and forth argument. Your word against theirs.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 15, 2018
sKeetz:

If all the denominations are preaching different messages, how do we know the one that will get us closer to God.

For instance when you buy an electric appliance, it always comes with a users manual. Let's say you opened the box and found 10 different manual contradicting each other; You'll be furious and confused right ?
Everyone doesn't have the same mental capacity hence they understand a thing from different perspective. This is applicable to those studying the Bible. God deals with the way man can comprehend. There is no particular church that draws people closer to God. God is everywhere hence he dwells when two or more gather to pray and study his word.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 15, 2018
sKeetz:

Math is a science and science deals with evidence. In maths, one can use different methods and arrive at the same conclusion but this methods have been tested and trusted. Same cannot be said of religion so don't equate the both.

If you say that the Holy Spirit reveals what he wants to who he wants, doesn't that tell you that the Holy Spirit cannot be trusted and whatever he reveals should be taken with a pinch of salt ?

I Lol, out of the seven approving equations only one has been proven if science that deals with evidence can not be fully understood by man,how do you now want to fully understand God.

God reveals par time and par season to does who do his will but to you as the scripture says"it will sound like parables"
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 11:55am On Apr 15, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Everyone doesn't have the same mental capacity hence they understand a thing from different perspective. This is applicable to those studying the Bible. God deals with the way man can comprehend. There is no particular church that draws people closer to God. God is everywhere hence he dwells when two or more gather to pray and study his word.

But this is God we are talking about!! An all powerful, ominipotent, ominipresent, omniscient being: He should know that humans have different mental capability and hence might misinterpret the gospel. Hence, it's his responsibility to break it down to the simplest form for every human to understand and follow the right path.

Catholics believes that their sacraments are a prerequisite for making heaven hence anything outside of their doctrines is a sure ticket to hell. So they'll disagree with you when you say that no particular church draws one to God. They are so sure about this and have scriptures to back it up.

How do you explain this contradictions to someone with no religious affiliation?
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2018
Chidorx60:
I Lol, out of the seven approving equations only one has been proven if science that deals with evidence can not be fully understood by man,how do you now want to fully understand God.

God reveals par time and par season to does who do his will but to you as the scripture says"it will sound like parables"

Science doesn't claim to have an answer to everything but over the years it has improved tremendously. With every new scientific breakthrough, the awesomeness of god has been made smaller and smaller.

Who are this people doing gods will cause so far all the different churches claim to do his will. If he reveals different things par time and season then he is no different from us humans.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 15, 2018
sKeetz:

But this is God we are talking about!! An all powerful, ominipotent, ominipresent, omniscient being: He should know that humans have different mental capability and hence might misinterpret the gospel. Hence, it's his responsibility to break it down to the simplest form for every human to understand and follow the right path.

Catholics believes that their sacraments are a prerequisite for making heaven hence anything outside of their doctrines is a sure ticket to hell. So they'll disagree with you when you say that no particular church draws one to God. They are so sure about this and have scriptures to back it up.

How do you explain this contradictions to someone with no religious affiliation?
God has given man choice. Why you see many denominations is because of man's capacity.
@ bolded it is their believe.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 15, 2018
sKeetz:

Science doesn't claim to have an answer to everything but over the years it has improved tremendously. With every new scientific breakthrough, the awesomeness of god has been made smaller and smaller.

Who are this people doing gods will cause so far all the different churches claim to do his will. If he reveals different things par time and season then he is no different from us humans.
why he reveals par time is to give directions that will not overwhelm or mislead and Directions are giving to those that pant after him.

over the years science greatest achievement is space travel and only 5% is known about the outer space, which so small a percentage, what is not known is greater than what is known. so don't claim that God doesn't exist just because you don't know enough about him.the bible has enough proofs to place it above science
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2018
Chidorx60:
why he reveals par time is to give directions that will not overwhelm or mislead and Directions are giving to those that pant after him.

over the years science greatest achievement is space travel and only 5% is known about the outer space, which so small a percentage, what is not known is greater than what is known. so don't claim that God doesn't exist just because you don't know enough about him.the bible has enough proofs to place it above science

So this God gives different directions to different people. Wow, So much for a God who is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Science has revealed more than God ever will. Us having this conversation was made possible by science and it will only get better.

Your only evidence for gods existance is a book written by illiterate middle eastern Normads who were obviously high on opium. Same way my prove that Harry Potter exists cause I've read it in a book.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 12:43pm On Apr 15, 2018
asuustrike2009:

God has given man choice. Why you see many denominations is because of man's capacity.
@ bolded it is their believe.

He has given man choice yet when I chose not to believe in him, he'll still throw me into fire to burn forever.

It is their belief and according to them, it's inspired by the Holy Spirit. I bet your own belief contradicts theirs and am thinking yours is inspired by the same Holy Spirit.

Confused bunch.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2018
sKeetz:

So this God gives different directions to different people. Wow, So much for a God who is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Science has revealed more than God ever will. Us having this conversation was made possible by science and it will only get better.

Your only evidence for gods existance is a book written by illiterate middle eastern Normads who were obviously high on opium. Same way my prove that Harry Potter exists cause I've read it in a book.
Now the revelations he give add up to suit his purpose, he is the same forever because he never change his manifold method of handling issues

now our conversation is possible not because of science but because of God who created man who now invented this technology, so science is useless without God who created man to study its diverse applications
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 15, 2018
sKeetz:

He has given man choice yet when I chose not to believe in him, he'll still throw me into fire to burn forever.

It is their belief and according to them, it's inspired by the Holy Spirit. I bet your own belief contradicts theirs and am thinking yours is inspired by the same Holy Spirit.

Confused bunch.
Of course he will throw you into fire because you refused to acknowledge him. You refuse to accept him into your heart even when he is knocking.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by TOSIN116: 10:20pm On Apr 15, 2018
WE'LL UNDERSTAND IT BETTER BY AND BY
but still the best thing to do inspite of all denomination is to move closer to God and have a personal relationship with him and let him reveal himself to you.
TRUST AND OBEY! cool
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 1:25am On Apr 17, 2018
TOSIN116:
WE'LL UNDERSTAND IT BETTER BY AND BY
but still the best thing to do inspite of all denomination is to move closer to God and have a personal relationship with him and let him reveal himself to you.
TRUST AND OBEY! cool

How do you have a personal relationship with a being you cannot see, feel or touch? That statement defies logic.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 1:32am On Apr 17, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Of course he will throw you into fire because you refused to acknowledge him. You refuse to accept him into your heart even when he is knocking.

It's no freewill if at the end of the day I'll still end up in hell fire after exercising my right to free will.

Hell is just a scare tactic that was invented to put this early men in line. The hell concept is outdated and an insult to rationality.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 17, 2018
sKeetz:

It's no freewill if at the end of the day I'll still end up in hell fire after exercising my right to free will.

Hell is just a scare tactic that was invented to put this early men in line. The hell concept is outdated and an insult to rationality.
It is freewill because you are given opportunity to choose either to go to hell or not.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by kevoh(m): 11:26am On Apr 17, 2018
asuustrike2009:

It is freewill because you are given opportunity to choose either to go to hell or not.
Is your god Omniscient? Does it know the past, present and future? Let's assume for argument sake your god created humans, does he already know the steps/action every human will take till their death?

Let's start with these three questions. Please answer honestly... I want to sincerely understand what you mean by freewill with your honest answers. Thank you.

Kindly also visit this thread you have not answered the questions I asked you there.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 17, 2018
kevoh:

Is your god Omniscient? Does it know the past, present and future? Let's assume for argument sake your god created humans, does he already know the steps/action every human will take till their death?

Let's start with these three questions. Please answer honestly... I want to sincerely understand what you mean by freewill with your honest answers. Thank you.

Kindly also visit this thread you have not answered the questions I asked you there.
He is your Creator. He is slow to anger that is why he is giving opportunity to come to him before it is too late.He is omnipotent, omnipresence and omniscience. He sees what you do in the secret and knows your heart but he doesn't forces you to believe or follow him. He gives you choices to choose as there are conditions. If he sneeze, you are gone.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by kevoh(m): 2:07pm On Apr 17, 2018
asuustrike2009:

He is your Creator. He is slow to anger that is why he is giving opportunity to come to him before it is too late.He is omnipotent, omnipresence and omniscience. He sees what you do in the secret and knows your heart but he doesn't forces you to believe or follow him. He gives you choices to choose as there are conditions. If he sneeze, you are gone.
You have not answered the questions, the rushed up composition in the above quoted post of yours does not answer the questions and is an attempt to escape the rabbit hole you are about to dig for yourself.

Let me list the questions for you in a number format. Each question is independent.

1. Is your god Omniscient? Answer:

2. Does it know the past, present and future? Answer:

3. Let's assume for argument sake your god created humans, does he already know the steps/action every human will take till their death? Answer:
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 17, 2018
kevoh:

You have not answered the questions, the rushed up composition in the above quoted post of yours does not answer the questions and is an attempt to escape the rabbit hole you are about to dig for yourself.

Let me list the questions for you in a number format. Each question is independent.

3. Let's assume for argument sake your god created humans, does he already know the steps/action every human will take till their death? Answer:
Mr man the question you asked has being asked in the article I just wrote. All you asked is what I said as I didn't deviate. You just made up your mind to think differently instead of reading the message
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by kevoh(m): 3:59pm On Apr 17, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Mr man the question you asked has being asked in the article I just wrote. All you asked is what I said as I didn't deviate. You just made up your mind to think differently instead of reading the message
You have not given any answer as usual. Infact, you have never answered any questions right from when you were asked to prove your claim of spirituality till now. grin

You already know how those three questions will expose you and the fallacy of freewill cheesy cheesy I know how you guys play the game of evasion. I did not ask you to tell me what happens when I sneeze. The questions are clear and direct and have being listed in a numbered format and are independent of each other, if you are honest enough answer them! grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2018
kevoh:

You have not given any answer as usual. Infact, you have never answered any questions right from when you were asked to prove your claim of spirituality till now. grin

You already know how those three questions will expose you and the fallacy of freewill cheesy cheesy I know how you guys play the game of evasion. I did not ask you to tell me what happens when I sneeze. The questions are clear and direct and have being listed in a numbered format and are independent of each other, if you are honest enough answer them! grin
If you can read then I advice you go back and study comprehension
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by kevoh(m): 4:21pm On Apr 17, 2018
asuustrike2009:

If you can read then I advice you go back and study comprehension
Says the Christian who keeps making claims that he can never prove in his life time. The questions asked are below, whenever you are ready to be a honest and truthful human being answer them.
kevoh:

1. Is your god Omniscient? Yes/No

2. Does it know the past, present and future? Yes/No

3. Let's assume for argument sake your god created humans, does he already know the steps/action every human will take till their death? Yes/No

No where did I ask you what will happen when I sneeze. For the sake of argument, those following the discussion and not to derail, I am willing to say ok, I did not comprehend the previous comment you made grin .I have now formatted the question in a simple yes or no answer format. Can you be a meek Christian and answer them now, so we can continue on this topic of freewill. grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by sKeetz(m): 7:37pm On Apr 17, 2018
kevoh:

Says the Christian who keeps making claims that he can never prove in his life time. The questions asked are below, whenever you are ready to be a honest and truthful human being answer them.

No where did I ask you what will happen when I sneeze. For the sake of argument, those following the discussion and not to derail, I am willing to say ok, I did not comprehend the previous comment you made grin .I have now formatted the question in a simple yes or no answer format. Can you be a meek Christian and answer them now, so we can continue on this topic of freewill. grin

if he answers them, I'll give my life to Jesus Christ. grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Niflheim(m): 6:19pm On Apr 19, 2018
@op,

Have you ever seen people who claim to have experienced an NDE?(Near Death Experience?) An NDE is like a lunatic projection of the mind that has been influenced by heavy drugs!!! Whenever they come out of it, each person always has a different story to tell!!! The number of NDEs are directly proportional to the number of lunatics experiencing the NDE!!! If there are a 100 lunatics having an NDE, then you are assured that there are going to be a 100 different stories about what happens during an NDE!!! This is the same case with christian denominations!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
Really, this is like asking why are different varieties of trees in the world.

The answer is simple. Humans are diverse, it only follows that a system of beliefs be also diverse.

Is there anything in world that is unique and singular?

The Bible? There are multiple different versions that exist.

Even God is made of three.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by TOSIN116: 7:09am On Apr 21, 2018
sKeetz:

How do you have a personal relationship with a being you cannot see, feel or touch? That statement defies logic.
RELIGION AS A WHOLE DEFIES LOGIC
Atheism included
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by hopefulLandlord: 7:13am On Apr 21, 2018
TOSIN116:
RELIGION AS A WHOLE DEFIES LOGIC Atheism included
How does atheism defy logic?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by TOSIN116: 7:22am On Apr 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

How does atheism defy logic?
by claiming something come from nothing how can something come from nothing?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Butterflyleo: 7:26am On Apr 21, 2018
kevoh:

Question 1 the answer is Yes

Question 2 the answer is Yes

Question 3 the answer is Yes

Cc sKeetz kindly come and observe the next round of talks because you said you will give your life to Christ if answered. Get ready to do so because this is about to get really interesting.

Kevoh over to you.
Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by hopefulLandlord: 7:33am On Apr 21, 2018
TOSIN116:

by claiming something come from nothing
how can something come from nothing?
What is "nothing"? what is "something"? and When did atheism claim "Something came from nothing"?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? by Butterflyleo: 7:43am On Apr 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

What is "nothing"? what is "something"? and When did atheism claim "Something came from nothing"?

Atheism = without God >>>>>> hence creation did not occur since there is no God

Theism = With God >>>>>> hence creation occurred since there is a God

If atheism does not subscribe to creation they then subscribe to the next best thing which is evolution or the big bang.

Or are you claiming atheism to be neutral of creationism or evolution?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible / Photos- Anointment of Celica Church Of Christ Founder's Successor / TB Joshua Predicted Jakarta Attacks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.