Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,432 members, 7,954,710 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:42 AM

Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? (25837 Views)

Is Drinking Alcohol A Sin? What Does The Bible Say? / Is Marrying A Non Christian Really Against Christiandom? / Is God Biaz (christiandom) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by sharpwriter(m): 1:15pm On Apr 08, 2018
Zinny25:
Some of you are turning the scriptures upside down.. Jesus turned water into wine, the Bible didn't say alcoholic wine. Let your conscience be the judge here, a true Christian shouldn't take any alcoholic drink.

That false conscience you have against alcoholic wine is not of God. it's the doctrine of men from over righteousness that became a strong hold of tradition in the church. And mind you dear, there's nothing like non alcoholic wine. all wines are alcoholic. You can't be more English than the English people. If you ever find yourself outside the country in overseas , don't go and disgrace yourself calling a fruit juice as wine. The origin of biblical wine is the fermentation of grape vine. Study to show yourself approved unto truth not tradition. Finally, 1Corinthians 8:2 will help you, so don't go about thinking our pastors know everything because it's more than possible for men to be in darkness of a particular truth for a life time and even for generations.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Hiswordxray(m): 1:17pm On Apr 08, 2018
uckennety:

God loved noah he was a drunkard
God loved David a womaniser ,pedophile and drunk
God loved Solomon

I know he loves me more

And Jesus turned water into wine

On the passover feast

Jesus shared bread and wine in remembrance of him

So.........................

Yes God loves you but you have to conform to His will so that you can enjoy is love.

If you have a child that you love so much but this child is rebellious, he is hardly ever at home. How then will you be able to express your love to him when he is always far away. To enjoy your love he needs to come to close to you, and submit himself under your care.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Igba123: 1:21pm On Apr 08, 2018
xtivin:
Not a sin, but alcohol is not for kings and as Christians we are kings because we are of the royal priesthood of God.
it is important to knw how to separate doctrine frm ppl's opinion in d bible. Dis is d opinion of lemuel's mother jst as jeremiah 35 is d opinion of Rechab and not God's legislatn on alcohol. Pls read Deut. 14v26 and confront ur teachers for explanatn.

1 Like

Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by kernel502: 1:21pm On Apr 08, 2018
trapQ:
Why did God send the Angel to deliver a message about John the Baptist not taking strong drink (alcohol)?

Are you saying Jesus induced the people with sin when he converted water in wine?
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by sharpwriter(m): 1:21pm On Apr 08, 2018
jnrremedy:

oga do yourself this favour type wine into google search bar and read the meaning of wine
What u have on valeta and eve is grape fruit juice not non alcoholic wine. We Nigerians invented that word non alcoholic wine there is nothing like non alcoholic wine
is just like saying non alcoholic gin

Don't mind us... our over righteousness is stinking to heaven. I don't know who invented that non alcoholic wine self all in the bid to save people by the wisdom of men. Instead of preaching the truth, we lie. This is where you read A from the Bible and they tell you it means B... grin. Funny people... they're the ones who will call Jesus a wine bibber because he drank wine
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by sharpwriter(m): 1:23pm On Apr 08, 2018
Igba123:
it is important to knw how to separate doctrine frm ppl's opinion in d bible. Dis is d opinion of lemuel's mother jst as jeremiah 35 is d opinion of Rechab and not God's legislatn on alcohol. Pls read Deut. 14v26 and confront ur teachers for explanatn.

Exactly, you know and study the scriptures... You're blessed in Jesus name.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Igba123: 1:24pm On Apr 08, 2018
Ifesinachi22:
There is no where in the Bible that has it clearly "Don't drink alcohol", Rather you will see things like Drunkards will not enter the king of God.

Paul told Timothy to stop drinking water and drink wine instead because of his health.
Catholics use wine (May not be alcoholic) and holy communion together.
Finally Jesus turned water into wine which became the best wine in wedding.

Drinking alcohol is not a sin. Drinking in excess is what is a sin.
My humble opinion
instead there is a place it is permitted in d place of worship. Deut. 14v26GNB
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Abcruz(m): 1:25pm On Apr 08, 2018
vchykp:
Is alcohol a sin?

This particular topic has been bothering me, i once asked a Rev Father, who said its not a sin.

On the contrary i met another man of God(prophet) who said alcohol has an evil spirit in it, it has demons that controls who ever takes it.

But on friday, my cousin who happens to be a prophet came around and has been drinking Williams(beer) comfortably from my fridge and he said neither can alcohol stop his gift of prophecy nor possess him with demon.

I really need help concerning this topic and scriptures to back it up.

#thanks

The answer you seek lies in "Isaiah 28:7"

"And these also go astray because of wine; Their alcoholic beverages make them stagger. Priest and prophets go astray because of alcohol; The wine confuses them... And they stumble in judgement"

From the above inscription, judge for yourself if it is righteous or sinful!

1 Like

Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Randy100: 1:26pm On Apr 08, 2018
Any person who said drinking Alcohol is a sin is indirectly calling God a foolish God. God created man and gave him an enzyme(ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASE) for the purpose of digesting alcohol. God wouldn't have ordinarily given us the enzyme if we don't need it. Drink responsibly.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Hiswordxray(m): 1:26pm On Apr 08, 2018
Zinny25:
Some of you are turning the scriptures upside down.. Jesus turned water into wine, the Bible didn't say alcoholic wine. Let your conscience be the judge here, a true Christian shouldn't take any alcoholic drink.
Are we called to follow our conscience or to follow God.

“If the place of worship is too far from your home for you to carry there the tithe of the produce that the Lord has blessed you with, then do this: Sell your produce and take the money with you to the one place of worship. Spend it on whatever you want—beef, lamb, wine, beer—and there, in the presence of the Lord your God, you and your families are to eat and enjoy yourselves.” (Deu 14:24-26).

God commanded us to drink beer and use it to worship him, and now you are talking about conscience, what is conscience. A true conscience is one that obeys God.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by xtivin(m): 1:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
Igba123:
People seem to justify reasons to drink alcohol, but I tell you as Christians you can't do something's and alcohol is one, Noah is a typical example of people who took alcohol and paid the prize. Everything God created is perfect but there are some the devil easily possess because the devil does not have the ability to create and alcohol is just one. Son be wise and seek understanding, alcohol is a no no, those that take it their sorrow is multiplied.Finally, I repeat , alcohol is not a sin in anyway but in order to be safe as children of the kingdom whose home is not on earthly mansions its better to avoid it because there is a spirit in alcohol that demands for more after a sip and only recently I learnt that to avoid hangover after getting drunk you need to take more alcohol to cure it. I tell you these are wiles of the devil which make you see strange things
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Kylexy3000(m): 1:31pm On Apr 08, 2018
ehinmowo:

Firstly are you a Christian? Is it possible to eat without been a glutton? If you are not a Christian, no need to answer d questions

Stop confusing yourself guy... A glutton is someone who eats too much. You can only become one when you eat too much and the bible goes against being a glutton.

So, technically the Bible is against people that eats with their two hands. What i mean by two hands is people who eats without remembering there are people out there who are suffering, people out there who are hungry.
So, its kinda different from Alcohol. Alcohol's effect varies. Some people can take bottles, they are high but they can control their self, while some people can take just a glass and boom they are gone already. Alcohol makes people do a lot more than they can when they are normal and sometimes it can lead to sin.

So, the question is can you take Alcohol without being high?? What's the difference between being high and drunk??
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Igba123: 1:32pm On Apr 08, 2018
trapQ:
Why did God send the Angel to deliver a message about John the Baptist not taking strong drink (alcohol)?
he was a nazirite n there áre responsibility dat goes with it in d OT. Remember he lived in d OT where issues were highly legislated.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by joshmee4real(m): 1:53pm On Apr 08, 2018
I pray God opens the heart of men to know the meaning of WOE. The answer to your question lieth in Isaiah:5:11
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by RennersClouds: 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2018
Why do we always want to look for what is sin and what is not?? Christ has done away with the sins of the world (if not you would have heard of another God washing the earth), don't let the devil occupy your heart with the search for sin, there is only one sin, and that is the sin the HOLY SPIRIT has come reprove of this world, THE SIN OF UNBELIEF (John 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on mewink, Believe that Christ had died for your sins according to the scriptures and that he Rose from the dead according to the scriptures, THIS IS WHAT BRINGS SALVATION!!

What you do to get salvation, is what you need to continue to do to keep your salvation...what did you do to get your salvation

It is funny how most Christians read the famous JOHN 3:16 and still don't believe in what they read....

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever BELIEVETH in him SHOULD NOT PERISH, but HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE.

HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND THIS

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Just believe in what Christ has done, And forget the rest!!!!
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by adelee777: 2:06pm On Apr 08, 2018
trapQ:

Why did God send the Angel to deliver a message Samson about not cutting his hair? Yeah! because it is a sin if I go to a barber's shop to cut my hair!
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by xtivin(m): 2:07pm On Apr 08, 2018
Igba123:
instead there is a place it is permitted in d place of worship. Deut. 14v26GNB
Can you really attain to righteousness if you decide to do everything written in the book of Deuteronomy?
Listen my brother, old testament laws are not for Christians, they are for the Jewish religion called Judaism, we are of Christ and if truly of Christ you should be led by the spirit, if you decide to do those mosaic laws it means Christ died for nothing. Personally, I was a drunk before the grace of God elected me, now the spirit forbid me from taking it each time I came across it. It is not a sin at all to drink but its for our own Good not to drink alcohol .Finally , alcohol is not a sin but it is wise to avoid it. If you really want to succeed in life the books of Proverbs and ecclesiastics which Solomon wrote after his youthful life are for you to read and do.I tell you you don't have to be a Christian to succeed if you can do things he wrote there
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by hisgrace090: 2:22pm On Apr 08, 2018
poseidon12:

So if you consume cyanide, you don't think it can destroy you?

Do people consume cyanide in the old testament, or is it food?
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Praktikals(m): 2:59pm On Apr 08, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Consuming alcohol is not a sin.

That's why the wine used in the biblical last supper was alcoholic as is still used today in the Catholic church.

After drinking it, most of them got high.
Judas betrayed Jesus under the influence of alcohol.
Peter denied Jesus under the influence of alcohol.
Peter sliced Malchus's ear because he was high. (John 18:10)

Finally, the disciples couldn't keep awake in the garden of Gethsemane because they were tipsy from the wine (Luke 22:39-46)
Now I know where your inspirations come from
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by YorubaEmir: 3:36pm On Apr 08, 2018
OkpaAkuEriEri:

Amu mpa gi taakwa nchara.
Ibi gbukwa gi.

Afo utobo

Anu mpam
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by uckennety(m): 4:15pm On Apr 08, 2018
Hiswordxray:

Yes God loves you but you have to conform to His will so that you can enjoy is love.

If you have a child that you love so much but this child is rebellious, he is hardly ever at home. How then will you be able to express your love to him when he is always far away. To enjoy your love he needs to come to close to you, and submit himself under your care.

Am loyal
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by uckennety(m): 4:16pm On Apr 08, 2018
Hiswordxray:

Sex is different oh, sex has prescribed way that it should be done and that is within the marriage institution.

If you dey eat your food raw all the time, e no go tey wey you go die oh

U mean eating green vegetables
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Barblow(m): 4:34pm On Apr 08, 2018
As regards alcohol been a sin or not, some said excess is not good but atimes it might be difficult for one to know the rightful quantity to consume at a time when you are in a position of taking an alcohol. An individual might take two bottles of a particular alcohol and not be drunk but while taking just a glass of another type he starts falling into the gutters. So, BEST DECISION IS TO AVOID IT
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Hiswordxray(m): 5:40pm On Apr 08, 2018
uckennety:

U mean eating green vegetables
I mean eating all foods raw, especially meat, fish, rice, beans and so on. Keep eating all the foods without going through the due process of cooking it and it will take a toll on your health.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 08, 2018
sharpwriter:

How is he twisting the scriptures.? If you really think you believe in God's words, go and check his quotation and study.... don't let stronghold of men doctrines and over righteousness deceive you. If you want to believe God's word, you must shut out every doctrine contrary to what you read in God's words irrespective of the pastor's status who taught you the lie contrary to what you are reading. How will I be seeing A and you will tell me it's B simply because we met the false as tradition in the church. Oga take it or leave it, the word of God is clear, and alcoholic wine is not a sin.
What are we saying what are you saying? Did I mention anything like alcohol is a sin? the scripture he read was a complete misunderstanding of what Paul was saying, saying the LORD's supper wine is alcoholic is a complete awkward mischievous antics,he was the one reading A and saying B,he quote the right scripture for the wrong use,it is obvious he is up to something terrible to deceive people. Matt 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Luke 17:1-2
Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!
It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by kakale1: 5:50pm On Apr 08, 2018
drinking is SIN because GOD IS NOT A CONFUSE ONE LIKE MAN HE ORDER TO DO GOOD NOT SOMETHING THAT WILL AFFECT U LATER SO PLEASE BE WISE DRINKING OF ALCOHOL IS SIN
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by sharpwriter(m): 6:09pm On Apr 08, 2018
profolaolu:
What are we saying what are you saying? Did I mention anything like alcohol is a sin? the scripture he read was a complete misunderstanding of what Paul was saying, saying the LORD's supper wine is alcoholic is a complete awkward mischievous antics,he was the one reading A and saying B,he quote the right scripture for the wrong use,it is obvious he is up to something terrible to deceive people. Matt 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Luke 17:1-2
Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!
It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

Brother, before arguments, go and do adequate research, Yes! the Lord's supper wine is alcoholic. And the bread is unleavened. If you studied the scriptures he highlighted very well, you will understand. Even if you didn't say alcohol is not a sin which you didn't explain well in your first comment, the communion wine is alcoholic. When we eat the Lord's body and drink the blood, it must be done worthily as a spiritual rite, not as a ceremony where we will be filled with bread and wine to our own detriment.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Igba123: 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2018
xtivin:

Can you really attain to righteousness if you decide to do everything written in the book of Deuteronomy?
Listen my brother, old testament laws are not for Christians, they are for the Jewish religion called Judaism, we are of Christ and if truly of Christ you should be led by the spirit, if you decide to do those mosaic laws it means Christ died for nothing. Personally, I was a drunk before the grace of God elected me, now the spirit forbid me from taking it each time I came across it. It is not a sin at all to drink but its for our own Good not to drink alcohol .Finally , alcohol is not a sin but it is wise to avoid it. If you really want to succeed in life the books of Proverbs and ecclesiastics which Solomon wrote after his youthful life are for you to read and do.I tell you you don't have to be a Christian to succeed if you can do things he wrote there
I think u are overstretching dis discussion. Did I say I drink? I have never been known to b one who drink. I've not come to b advised here. Dis is not my thread, we are only exploring d scriptural basis to tag alcohol sin and as it is, we are on d same page going by d scripture dat I quoted.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Apr 08, 2018
PharmaGirl:
kiss
Alcohol is not a sin.
What the bible condemned is drunkenness.

Just like eating is no sin but gluttony is.
Gluttony is sin! Is there biblical backing for that or mere assumptions?
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
JosephSnr01:

There was no record of Peter been high and other disciples been tipsy in the Bible references you sighted here. Thou shall not add or take away from my word. Am not against taking alcohol but try and check the Catholic church altar wine, it's 0% Sir.
Catholic wine is actually very alcoholic.
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by PharmaGirl(f): 8:46pm On Apr 08, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Gluttony is sin! Is there biblical backing for that or mere assumptions?
Proverbs 23:21
Re: Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? by trapQ: 10:33pm On Apr 08, 2018
Post the verse where God sent the Angel to inform Samson against cutting his hair.
adelee777:

Why did God send the Angel to deliver a message Samson about not cutting his hair? Yeah! because it is a sin if I go to a barber's shop to cut my hair!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Muslim Dad Dumps Newborn Baby In Toilet Because Mother Is Christian In Adamawa / 10 Mistakes People Make With The Holy Spirit / Kayan Mata Will Give You Cancer, Death – Pastor Ibiyeomie Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.