Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes (1628 Views)

Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes / 10 Most Mysterious Places On Earth / The Japanese Passport Is Now The Most Powerful Passport On Earth! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by 1960ng(m): 11:11am On Apr 08, 2018
Inside the world’s quickest room it’s so silent that the background noise measured is actually negative decibels .

The key to the level of silence is the fact that the walls, floor and ceiling absorb all sound, rather than reflecting it, as most surfaces do. Thus the term anechoic: no echo. It’s so quiet, you can hear your own organs: your heart, stomach, even your ears, which make a tiny amount of noise. It turns out that it’s not an especially pleasant experience, especially in the dark. The longest anyone has ever spent alone in the chamber? Forty-five minutes.

“As soon as one enters the room, one immediately feels a strange and unique sensation which is hard to describe,”

Everybody seems to be looking for a little peace and quiet these days. But even such a reasonable idea can go too far. The quietest place on earth, an anechoic chamber at Orfield Laboratories in Minnesota, is so quiet that the longest anybody has been able to bear it is 45 miInside the room it’s silent. So silent that the background noise measured is actually negative decibels, -9.4 dBA. Steven Orfield, the lab’s founder, told Hearing Aid Know: “We challenge people to sit in the chamber in the dark – one person stayed in there for 45 minutes. When it’s quiet, ears will adapt. The quieter the room, the more things you hear. You’ll hear your heart beating, sometimes you can hear your lungs, hear your stomach gurgling loudly. In the anechoic chamber, you become the sound.”

But the room isn’t just for torturing people. Companies test their products in it to find out just how loud they are. And NASA has sent astronauts to help them adapt to the silence of space. For you and me, however, the room is a deeply disorienting place. Not only do people hear their heartbeat, they have trouble orienting themselves and even standing. “How you orient yourself is through sounds you hear when you walk. In the anechnoic chamber, you don’t have any cues,” Orfield told the Daily Mail. “You take away the perceptual cues that allow you to balance and manoeuvre. If you’re in there for half an hour, you have to be in a chair.”

So the next time you wish for some quiet time, remember that it could also drive you crazynutes.

https://www.1960ng.com/2018/04/08/earths-quietest-place-will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes/

Visit www.1960ng.com for more news update

Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by Armaggedon: 11:22am On Apr 08, 2018
Great
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by Ajoboss(m): 12:18pm On Apr 08, 2018
Buhari needs to b in Dat room

2 Likes

Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by Chriswazo(m): 12:52pm On Apr 08, 2018
Ajoboss:
Buhari needs to b in Dat room
Lol
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by IdeeEsperanza(m): 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2018
I need to take a nap in that room. The noise in this country is too much.

1 Like

Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by ogbiwa: 9:47am On Apr 10, 2018
How is the room ventilated?
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by 0monnak0da: 10:38am On Apr 10, 2018
ogbiwa:
How is the room ventilated?
Why must it be ventilated?
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by ogbiwa: 11:51am On Apr 10, 2018
0monnak0da:

Why must it be ventilated?

shocked

How do you in particular breathe in your rooms that don't have oxygen, through your fins?
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by 0monnak0da: 4:36pm On Apr 10, 2018
ogbiwa:

shocked

How do you in particular breathe in your rooms that don't have oxygen, through your fins?

In your mind you are making sense. Even with fins there must be oxygen

Who said the room does not have oxygen. It has a door and that is how people get into the room

Whether there enough oxygen to sustain life and for how long depends on the size of the room

Firstly about 20% of air is oxygen and we consume about 550 litres of oxygen daily so depending on the size of the room. Adeqate oxygen for life may be provided by opening the door once a month week day as the case may be.

I do not see anything profound in the ventilation issue unlesss the room iss particularly small
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by ogbiwa: 6:46pm On Apr 10, 2018
0monnak0da:

In your mind you are making sense. Even with fins there must be oxygen

Who said the room does not have oxygen. It has a door and that is how people get into the room

Whether there enough oxygen to sustain life and for how long depends on the size of the room

Firstly about 20% of air is oxygen and we consume about 550 litres of oxygen daily so depending on the size of the room. Adeqate oxygen for life may be provided by opening the door once a month week day as the case may be.

I do not see anything profound in the ventilation issue unlesss the room iss particularly small

Bro, for a room to be so quiet the sound level is measured negative decibels, means the air velocity in there has to be almost zero because any movement in air creates some level of sound. So again my question, how do they ventilate or regulate the temperature in there to ensure an occupant stayed in there for up to 45 mins without suffering from asphyxiation or a heat stroke, gerrit? But don't worry though I've gotten my answer elsewhere
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by 0monnak0da: 7:24pm On Apr 10, 2018
ogbiwa:

Bro, for a room to be so quiet the sound level is measured negative decibels, means the air velocity in there has to be almost zero because any movement in air creates some level of sound. So again my question, how do they ventilate or regulate the temperature in there to ensure an occupant stayed in there for up to 45 mins without suffering from asphyxiation or a heat stroke, gerrit? But don't worry though I've gotten my answer elsewhere

Let us stick to ventilation and not digress
Air velocity is IRRELEVANT the fact of the matter is ; if a room contains AIR and it is SEALED if can sustain life until the oxygen content is exhausted.

Based on a daily oxygen requiremeent of 550 litres and the understanding that 2200 Litres of air contains 550 Litres of oxygen we can model how long a person can survive until the door is opened . It is not a big deal

A 40 ft container is 561000Litres that means it can sustain life for 26 days if it is totally sealed.

So let us not make ventilation to be a big deal that it is not.

The obvious solution then is to open the door every 3-4 weeks at least once.
If someone was a prisoner in such a room presumably he would be fed and the door opened from time to time.

If the door was never opened a simple solution would be to put in some plants and they would make a NET oxygen contribution.

Ventilation is not such a crucial factor
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by Octopus3000: 10:23am On Sep 21, 2020
Oh yes, I heard about it. Listen, it seems to me that you are just exaggerating and this is just a guess or theory. I really like the silence and I would be glad to be in such a quiet and peaceful place for several hours in order to take a break from the noisy metropolis. I really really love the silence and even the sounds of the car exhaust pisses me off and that's why I have been choosing a muffler for an exhaust on FullQuieting.com for a long time. It might be silly, but I hate noise and loud noises. It just pisses me off. I have studied articles for a very long time and found the best mufflers for car exhaust ...
Re: Earth’s Quietest Place Will Drive You Crazy In 45 Minutes by Enudapan: 11:45am On Sep 21, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms

This is so sophisticated

After rounding up bombing this year
I might try visiting here next year January

Buh am going with mushin weed, so I can hear the sound of the weed crying in Razzler

(1) (Reply)

My Travel Escapades 1 / Is Cyprus International university a good place to Study???? / My Travel Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.