Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son (37659 Views)

My 4-Year-Old Daughter Keeps Telling Mysterious Stories About Her Past Life / My 4-Year-Old Niece Loves To Perceive Horrific Scents. Is This Normal? / My 4-Year-Old Son Saw Me Washing My Underwear And Said It's Girl's That Wash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by onatisi(m): 8:16am On Apr 14, 2018
PurestBoy:

I appreciate your comment ma but can I bring him to you to spend a day with you, I just need to meet a nairalander who can corroborate my story. This boy doesn't rest and hardly get sick
this must be a joke .
so you are not happy that your boy doesnt cause you unnecessary medical bills shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by juwoonn(m): 8:18am On Apr 14, 2018
PurestBoy:
I have 2 boys, Kevin and Alvin, 4 and 1yr old respectively, both were on 6-month exclusive breastfeeding, Had Cow&Gate2 baby formula, Kevin is just too active, he doesn't doesn't even walk at home, he runs even when I take him out (cos he doesn't even play in the compound), he can't stay in a place for 2 minutes except he's watching his favorite cartoon channel GoTv 60, no matter how you beat him he doesn't cry for more than few seconds, he learns too much that he even corrects me his father but the problem is he's too active (I don't want to use the word stubborn). His 11+ mths younger brother is already following his footsteps, their mother shouts and beats Kevin every minute for jumping around in the house like monkey. He even engages in fight with me whenever I want to watch my favorite channels except I beat him thoroughly, he wouldn't allow anyone touch anything that is his. Their mother is fed up and losing weight and she's afraid his Alvin is already acting likewise. I don't know what to do because you can't leave Kevin alone in the house without closed monitoring for a minute else something bad and injurious might happen. All my life, I've never see a kid like my boy, I need advise on what to do, it was worse when he was younger. I don't like beating him like his Mom does but won't have peace at home due to excessive shouting and scolding except he's asleep. Anyone with ideas on how to curtail this?
Your son is just a little hyperactive than my 2 year old daughter. She does almost everything you've written.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by ChisomDgreatest(m): 8:20am On Apr 14, 2018
adaksbullet:
Brought him too mine sch on Abeokuta ita oshin grin

He we used just 3 day on mine sch and his live we never be dsame again cheesy grin cheesy grin

U we be glad u are diddid wink wink wink wink wink

We are special on stubborned hyperten childrenses wink wink

Jesu!
wink
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by scobyy2007: 8:24am On Apr 14, 2018
This is a joke abi shocked
adaksbullet:
Brought him too mine sch on Abeokuta ita oshin grin

He we used just 3 day on mine sch and his live we never be dsame again cheesy grin cheesy grin

U we be glad u are diddid wink wink wink wink wink

We are special on stubborned hyperten childrenses wink wink
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 14, 2018
Tellemall:

What if it's a problem that requires a medical professional?

Nigerians need to stop thinking people grow out of things. Many miscreants have such problems but in this end of the world people think they will grow out of them, and in the end these children become a menace to society and cannot function properly. This is not a phase from the description given.

Offer your suggestions without generalising or bad mouthing your countrymen, Nigerians aren't a bunch of 'dumbos'. Being civil transcends actions, words matter too.

That was my opinion oga , not a consensus or professional opinion.

You need to chill, you offered a good suggestion but it's veiled in contempt.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 14, 2018
kense88:
Lol nurse eliza
lol na so
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Indelibleage: 8:58am On Apr 14, 2018
Bring the child or the two of them to Centre for Learning Disabilities, No. 43, Rwang Pam Street, Jos. We'll treat him there. Thanks
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by oshunloye: 8:59am On Apr 14, 2018
A Psychiatrist is the best for you to take the child and not a Paediatrician. You will thank me later.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Tellemall: 9:19am On Apr 14, 2018
onatisi:

This is how you turn healthy children into mumus , kids playing normally,happily and joyfully about . Yet you aren't happy ,you want them to be like the way you are ,after admistering drugs on them at an early age ,you will die off and leave those kids to be suffering the pains and agonies of the actions you took on them. If a kid that is hyperactive is giving ppl headache then maybe God should give such parents slowpoke or mentally retarded children so that they will know the difference

Is there a problem? The OP is describing something he finds different from other children, surely he knows how normal hyperactive children are. He believes his child is behaving in a strange manner. How do you think people with children who have mental issues know that their child has issues? Is it the child that will tell them or the parents that seek solutions at an early stage? Drop sentiment here. If a parent feels their child is overactive they probably know what they mean, at a parents age they have encountered all kinds of children to know what's the normal and not.

Autism is more common than people think, so is ADHD.

Giving such a child drugs will help them to be functional and not turn them into this "mumu".

You appear to be angry about something unrelated to this.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Tellemall: 9:27am On Apr 14, 2018
Lucid1:

Offer your suggestions without generalising or bad mouthing your countrymen, Nigerians aren't a bunch of 'dumbos'. Being civil transcends actions, words matter too.

That was my opinion oga , not a consensus or professional opinion.

You need to chill, you offered a good suggestion but it's veiled in contempt.

@bolded, you're generalizing

And no, I did not refer to Nigerians as Dumbo's(you made that statement), but you have to have noticed that almost all Nigerians do not really understand things of this nature because there is poor mental health awareness in the country. It's not bad-mouthing, it's a fact. Go through the responses and see for yourself.

If this were another country the parents would've been notified by teachers with a list of places they could visit for help with the problem. Getting professional intervention and administering medication to a person who it could help is better than assuming it is a phase.

Hopefully the contemptuous appearance of what was stated is ironed out.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Adanne9110(f): 9:29am On Apr 14, 2018
You can start by reducing the quantity of sugar that u give to him,,,sugar has a way of increasing ones hyperactivity ,I have such tendency and I was told so by doctors,,,including soft drinks
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Lincoln275(m): 9:32am On Apr 14, 2018
lonelydora:
The only time mine rests is when he's sleeping. Very hyperactive
I think nowadays kids are like that especially boys , my son is just 11+ months but so active to the extent that I had to consult my father and he told me that I did more than that when I was small. I think there is nothing to worry about. he will soon overgrow it .

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by KingAfo(m): 9:36am On Apr 14, 2018
Ahmeduana:

Is there any problem when a child tiptoe? Because my eight months old baby girl is showing sign of hyperactive-ness and whenever she stand and hold the edge of my six sitters she will be running from one edge of the sitter on her toes.
8 months old? Too early to say.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by neonly: 9:38am On Apr 14, 2018
Der is one herb that they use here in Yoruba land it called iletutu don't know if I got d spelling right sha but try it I had a similar experience with my 14 yrs old son too when he was young but it helps sha get a mature person to use d herb

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by zela(m): 9:43am On Apr 14, 2018
In as much as I believe in Medicine... I also strongly believe in Science... That Behaviour might be Genetical ie Hereditary.... Check out urselves as parents and find out How you were at that age...
Please Stop Saying Sugar Causes Hyperactivity... It is not proven... Sugar only gives the child enough glucose for action..so he never gets tired...
My advice will be for you to introduce the child to Video Games(Intellectual Ones) Or Let Him Involve himself in Intelligent Activities... Cos too much Mental Activity can cause one to be physically active...
I have been like that all my life... I hardly sleep or rest... If I don't get active in a minute...then my life is unstable... And then please stop beating Him... It will lead to stubbornness... The boy will develop ways to be rebellious... Just Love Him and Have Fun with Him Not Forgetting to Tell Him The Truth About Life... Thanks
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by martineverest(m): 9:43am On Apr 14, 2018
Teeisaac:
He will grow out of it as it get older and older
not all the time.... I'm still suffering from it now....I use yoga meditation to control it tho
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by wiridina: 9:46am On Apr 14, 2018
just like a kid I know.his parents always tie him down.he is stubborn as hell. same age.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by CaesarDon(m): 9:48am On Apr 14, 2018
@PurestBoy

Ur son is most likely suffering from ADHD
ADHD is not just a disorder to joke with cos it's effect are lifelong and all round, pls don't treat this with kid gloves
I know this cos my bro has it

1. Let him sleep on time at least 7 hours

2. He should take omega3 fish oil

3. He'd listen to brain wave entertainment

4. Be strict with him with regards to being calm and meditation(this may sound complex 4 his age but realizable)

5. Take more fruits, no sugar, less carbohydrates, no sweetened drinks with aspartame

or....

he could take Aderall from a doctors prescription(lifelong)
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Funkybabee(f): 10:03am On Apr 14, 2018
Go and buy cane(pankere) though am not saying beating will stop him but the fear of it will make him cool whenever he want to react ,I have cousin that his wahala can kill person but I always notice whenever their mom bring cane out mehn man go low ooo. grin grin

It's normal!!kids thing

1 Like

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by teemanbastos(m): 10:10am On Apr 14, 2018
Lirqur:
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Bruvvvvv. The bible wasn't joking with this advice man. Most kids have the tendency to become like that. Every child is an intending brat. Except the one way Ilah(God) send to earth to be prophet from birth. All thanks to my maalee. I been think say dem adopt me before the way she flog me. But if you see me now, i over normally calm. Me wey dey follow my lesson teacher fight!. I gentle bruv. No go follow that line of say flogging na "Child ABuse" FUc all that English classification of ADHD. All that ish is bunkum. It's the way the devil creates funny name to hide its sinister devises. If he aint calm, increase the whip, and fi owo osi famora grin grin grin. And before you know Kevin go become Wali.

Salaam.
lool grin grin true talk bro.
I can relate
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Psoul(m): 10:17am On Apr 14, 2018
PurestBoy:
I have 2 boys, Kevin and Alvin, 4 and 1yr old respectively, both were on 6-month exclusive breastfeeding, Had Cow&Gate2 baby formula, Kevin is just too active, he doesn't doesn't even walk at home, he runs even when I take him out (cos he doesn't even play in the compound), he can't stay in a place for 2 minutes except he's watching his favorite cartoon channel GoTv 60, no matter how you beat him he doesn't cry for more than few seconds, he learns too much that he even corrects me his father but the problem is he's too active (I don't want to use the word stubborn). His 11+ mths younger brother is already following his footsteps, their mother shouts and beats Kevin every minute for jumping around in the house like monkey. He even engages in fight with me whenever I want to watch my favorite channels except I beat him thoroughly, he wouldn't allow anyone touch anything that is his. Their mother is fed up and losing weight and she's afraid his Alvin is already acting likewise. I don't know what to do because you can't leave Kevin alone in the house without closed monitoring for a minute else something bad and injurious might happen. All my life, I've never see a kid like my boy, I need advise on what to do, it was worse when he was younger. I don't like beating him like his Mom does but won't have peace at home due to excessive shouting and scolding except he's asleep. Anyone with ideas on how to curtail this?

5 Ways to Handle Hyperactive Kids by Engaging their Body and Mind

1. Channelise their energy

Find means to vent their energy and calm their minds. Children need to run around and play a lot. Invest in classes which help them use up their energy, physical activity, and soothe mind.

You can also get your child an activity box to help them engage meaningfully and focus on play-based activities. This will help boost their memory skills and concentration – not to forget skill development as well!

There are several companies that produce discovery boxes – one such is Flintobox. They make theme-based activity boxes for children between 2 and 12 years of age.

Each month’s theme is unique and they produce a limited number of boxes every month.

2. Talk to your child in a simple manner

Give them your complete attention and lend an ear to their concerns, interests, and apprehensions. Also get them to make to-do lists and break down the instructions given to them.

3. Help them deal with their feelings

Children with hyperactivity find it difficult to handle anger, sadness, and worry. Help them to deal with their feelings and tell them what is good and what is bad.

4. Make them relax

Minimize distractions and screen time. Take them out to green surroundings. Just be patient, take a deep breath, be determined to calm him/her, and put his/her high energy levels to good use.

5. Behaviour therapy

Reward them for good manners, listening to you, sticking to a routine, encourage them to establish order, and let them know what is expected from him/her. The best way to deal with a hyperactive kid is to engage his mind and body, and channelise their energy.

TV and video games do little to channel energy and are a major distraction.
Here are 7 Games and Activities to Keep Children With Hyperactivity Busy and Motivated:

Karate/Martial Arts To Channelise Energy

‘Karate’ means empty handed.

When kids learn karate, they do different postures and ways to channelise their energy.

It also helps them to concentrate and calm their minds.

Building confidence, learning to focus, and developing enhanced coordination are just a few of the benefits of martial arts for hyperactive kids

Outdoor sports for Constant Activity

Outdoor sports like football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, and badminton are great activity for hyperactive kids as there is no standing around time in these games.

Your children will be constantly moving and using large muscle groups, keeping them focused and energy-drained. They also get to learn about team spirit, sportsmanship, and competition.

If you can’t put them for any outdoor sports, make them take up running, which offers constant movement, health benefits, and a sense of accomplishment.

Music to Calm the Mind

Music is a great way to unwind after school. Music exercises both sides of the brain at the same time.

Thus, calming the brain, which in turn makes your kids multi-task and store information better.

When they are part of a band, or sing/play chorus, they learn to be a team player.

Swimming for Self-Discipline

Olympic gold-medalist Michael Phelps was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 9.

He took up swimming to master a sport and vent his energy.

Swimming is a great exercise for hyperactive kids as it offers constant movement, self-discipline, and calorie-burn.

Theatre for Creative Engagement

Drama or theatre is a creative activity to engage the hyperactive kids. It needs practice, co-ordination, sharp memory, stage confidence, and people skills. It helps the kids to take personal challenges ,and hone their public-speaking skills.

Nature trails to Soothe the Body

Nature has its own ways to soothe a hyperactive child.

And trust us, kids will love to be in natural surroundings.

Trekking, hiking, rock-climbing, rowing, etc. are great options for your bundle of high-energy.

Thinking Games

Games like scrabble, chess, matching pairs, etc. are a great exercise for brain.

These are engaging options for hyperactive kids as they make them sit in one place and concentrate.

These type of games are ideal for kids with short-attention span and high energy to build their confidence and interest.

Read more here: https://flintobox.com/blog/parenting/handle-hyperactive-kids

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by ststyreal(f): 10:31am On Apr 14, 2018
chineduemmao:
therapist 4 dis our 9ja?
Sure, I know of one!
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by ststyreal(f): 10:37am On Apr 14, 2018
OmoAlata1:
He is not autistic. There is nothing in that writeup that screams autism. He has ADHD and needs to be formally diagnosed so he can get on medication.

Well, I am talking from experience. Austism is wide, some kids own might be that of loss of speech, echolalic(meaning repetition of words), being hyperactive, meaning they can injure themselves while playing, they are always on the move, they hardly feels pain etc. While some could be social behaviour. My friend, have you ever seen a severe austistic child? Hmmmmm. Any way, I only offered an advice.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 14, 2018
Ahmeduana:

Is there any problem when a child tiptoe? Because my eight months old baby girl is showing sign of hyperactive-ness and whenever she stand and hold the edge of my six sitters she will be running from one edge of the sitter on her toes.

Sometimes it's a habit that they grow out of. Sometimes it's not and may be due to neurological disorders. At this stage, you really can't tell.Most kids tip-toe when they start learning to walk. After that they start walking normally. Avoid bare feet. Always put on socks for her or comfortable baby shoes. What you can do is try to encourage your child to walk on her heels if you notice she continues doing it by the time she is 2. This way you can help prevent it from being a habit. There are exercises online that you can both do together. There are also shoes that make funny noises when they walk on heels that kids like or the shoes that light up when they walk on their heels. These can help. If tip-toeing is the only thing you notice, there is usually nothing to worry about but if you also notice Speech Delays, then you may need to have her checked when she's older.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Nobody: 10:55am On Apr 14, 2018
OmoAlata1:
He is not autistic. There is nothing in that writeup that screams autism. He has ADHD and needs to be formally diagnosed so he can get on medication.

You were able to rule out Autism and diagnose ADHD from the same write up? You realize the Autism Spectrum is very broad and some of the characteristics are as described by the OP. Only a medical professional can evaluate the child and make that determination.

Also, for the people saying the OP should stop worrying that it is normal. You all realize that he may be witnessing signs that made him come here for ideas? Everyone knows kids can be defiant and overactive but sometimes if you notice things out of the ordinary, it is best to have them checked because EARLY INTERVENTION is key. If there is nothing wrong, no HARM done but if something is wrong and you WAIT and keep saying it is normal, you may regret the decision later in life. Best thing is to have the child checked if the OP suspects anything out of the ordinary.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by frozen70(f): 11:14am On Apr 14, 2018
PurestBoy:
Funny enough mist kids of his age range are like that.
My advice every holiday most especially take him to a relation whose kids are in the same age bracket or a little bit Senior to him let him spend his holiday their.
Inform the parents of the home that he is hyperactive that you want them to help you calm him down as he watch other children how the behave calmly.
By the time he comes back from the holidays there must be changes,while he is on holidays don't visit him there until the day he is going back to resume on Monday, keep doing so until he gets to secondary school then you put him in a mission school where ther is strict discipline eg Catholic schools.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by awhydot: 11:15am On Apr 14, 2018
Good day.
Though hyperactivity may be age-appropriate, it shouldn't significantly impair a child's overall functioning (not only academics) nor cause significant distress in the parents.
If your child is in school and the teachers also complain about his hyperactivity, u might need to seek professional help. Teachers are in constant touch with a lot of similar aged children and if your child's hyperactivity is not age -appropriate, the teachers can tell. If it's age-appropraite, he will outgrow it.
In Ibadan, there are specialist child psychiatrists in UCH. They can help with an assessment and determine if he needs intervention.
They will definitely give valuable advice to parents and teachers on how to help him modify his behavior and hyperactivity. They may or may not prescribe medications depending on the severity. They will also rule out other childhood developmental problems that may present with hyperactivity.
Wishing you and your son the best.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Rapfrick(m): 11:21am On Apr 14, 2018
PurestBoy:
get him into a soccer academy he just might be a combination of Ronaldo and messi in one vessel but if he is not passionate about football a boxing gym is another point of call he might be a combination of ali and mayweather,which everone it is a camp is in ur house hold dont try to tame him help him discover his potential and work hard on it, u might not be cool with it but discovering and grooming talent at young age sets de worlds best champs in a pinnacle, probably ur vision for him is to become a doc or eng but bro aside de oil sector no other sector pays higher dan de entertainment sector
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Habakus: 11:27am On Apr 14, 2018
Op, I want to assure you that you have wonderful children there. They have the stuff that wonder kids are made of.
I am favored to have a 5 year old niece like that, and I already see her as a blessing to the entire family.
All you need is just patience and a little bit of enforcement.
Enforce the right rules to them and make sure they follow them. Also, don't hesitate to spank them (with love) when necessary.
Those kids would surely make you proud - you can bet on that.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Bsideboi(m): 11:33am On Apr 14, 2018
This is me u just describe as a kid.Im left handed too.
Trust me he'll be cool as ice as he grows older.Im not sure about the AdHD thing but you will have to take him to see a specialist.

All you need do is show him love and care and ensure he doesn't hurt himself and other people around him.Most importantly,avoid beating him unnecessarily.
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by Azii: 11:51am On Apr 14, 2018
PurestBoy:
you had better be happy and thank God for giving you healthy children!!! If you don't agree with me then take a walk in the children ward or ask parents of imbeciles, then you will be grateful!!!
Re: I Need Help For My 4-Year-Old Son by cchiagom(f): 12:11pm On Apr 14, 2018
FishLegs:
Flog am well well angry
Hahaha you wickedooo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See What My Neighbour Did, What Would You Do If It Was You? / I Don't Find My Wife Sexually Attractive. Please Help / My Wife Nags Anytime Am Broke, Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.