Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,711 members, 7,955,683 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:39 PM

Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success (26554 Views)

Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? / Is Marriage A Distraction In A Person's Pursuit Of Success? / Newly Wedded Wife Seeks Divorce After Her Husband Lied About Owning Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Fourwinds: 10:12am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:
I've come to notice a common misconception about many people, especially the ladies and some guys who dont know better and think that owing a car and paying rent for an accommodation are signs of success.
I find it appalling, really appalling. Thankfully, at 23, I bought my first car and moved out of my parents place and a year after, I still totally don't consider myself close to successful. I even feel like there is a lot I am not doing with my life.
I presently work in a top multinational company(outside Africa) and get paid flights and accommodation(even at the moment) in the best hotels in the world, yet I often see it like I have seen it all, and hence, its not true success. I am lucky, like really lucky to experience this at an early age and hence it has helped me understand what matters life.
I have seen so called "big men" loose everything in a flip of a second, I have seen what supposedly rich people go through and I sometimes marvel when I hear phrases like. "He owns a car and affords a 2/3 bedroom flat" so he is successful. Nawa o. My people nawa o.
Flat that one mistake at work or simply low turnovers beyond your control, and there is no difference between you and the guy carrying file on the street looking for job. Or car you have to keep that job to maintain? What about those in business depending on just one main client who they have to kiss their feet to ensure bills are being paid, yet brag. No matter how fine the apartment is, its still a liability to maintain, and you ll be kicked out, along whatever you put in there the moment you stop keeping the landlord quiet.
Also, its even funny how people see car as a luxury. Car is not a luxury. Having a car is just a basic necessity.
Nowadays, I flip through social media, and don't get moved. I just see people faking out their lives, with the temporary illusion of happiness, while I critically thing of the real things that matter. Too many people living hand to mouth, waiting for the next paycheck to maintain that lifestyle. That's not freedom to me. That's not even success

Draw your ears boy and girls.... Having a car with paying for a flat is NOT success. Heck, its not even a luxury.

The AussiePlayboy
you are a very stupid boy....as much as you stated while car and living in a rented house is not success, you should have give an example(s) of success.... you can't tell there is nothing like success

5 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:15am On Apr 16, 2018
MissRaine69:
Success is subjective
A country with a high unemployment rate like Nigeria cars are a luxury
There is no one way of truly measuring it. We all come from different socioeconomic backgrounds so that notion greatly varies. In the human world especially on our particular society. Success is measured by material possessions if you have more of those than that’s the gage used. Anyone who has well and truly made it has lost most things or everything at some point in their journey what sets you apart from those who just “fake” their success to those who have tenacity to succeed is how you bounce back from your failures.

You cannot be successful without failing. If you don’t know failure my personal view is you have not been successful yet ...

Well said.
I have noticed that people with jobs at multinationals tend to have a stuck-up elitist viewpoint.
This is Africa were government and society work against you rather than for you . If you have gainful employment, can pay your rent, and meet other obligations, you are successful. Add bonus points for savings.

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by KIDfurniture(m): 10:19am On Apr 16, 2018
What is this one saying ? Please whatever you have in life and have achieved in life please appreciate God for it ja re - Be thankful and grateful - life is in stages - if you like compare your life with actors and actresses or even your mates out there - your mates out there wants to have what you have - be in your shoes . Please what will you say about the dead oh ? You can’t have it all in this life -
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by KIDfurniture(m): 10:21am On Apr 16, 2018
God bless you my brother- don’t mind the poster of this thread - what stupid message was he trying to pass - he wants people to rebel against who sef ? My brother if you pay your rent and have a car and a job please you re a big man in Nigeria and every better off than many outside Nigeria .

IamaNigerianGuy:

Well said.
I have noticed that people with jobs at multinationals tend to have a stuck-up elitist viewpoint.
This is Africa were government and society work against you rather than for you . If you have gainful employment, a car and can pay your rent, and meet other obligations, you are successful. Add bonus points for savings.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by nonix22(m): 10:22am On Apr 16, 2018
All this one na grammar. I suppose you passing a message to someone. I love your second to the last paragraph tho; "Nowadays, I flip through social media, and don't get moved. I just see people faking out their lives, with the temporary illusion of happiness, while I critically thing of the real things that matter. Too many people living hand to mouth, waiting for the next paycheck to maintain that lifestyle. That's not freedom to me. That's not even success" ( thumbs up) this is soo true.
But what i will advice you is that at the pace you are heading now, get a good and level headed girl and wife her as soon as possible, you won't regret it when u clocking 40.

Peace!

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by NonFarmPayrol: 10:24am On Apr 16, 2018
Op too young to talk on matters like this

Face your job

If you hit the streets tomorrow . you will wish for the fake "success" you currently enjoy
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by InvertedHammer: 10:25am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:
I've come to notice a common misconception about many people, especially the ladies and some guys who dont know better and think that owing a car and paying rent for an accommodation are signs of success.
I find it appalling, really appalling. Thankfully, at 23, I bought my first car and moved out of my parents place and a year after, I still totally don't consider myself close to successful. I even feel like there is a lot I am not doing with my life.
I presently work in a top multinational company(outside Africa) and get paid flights and accommodation(even at the moment) in the best hotels in the world, yet I often see it like I have seen it all, and hence, its not true success. I am lucky, like really lucky to experience this at an early age and hence it has helped me understand what matters life.
I have seen so called "big men" loose everything in a flip of a second, I have seen what supposedly rich people go through and I sometimes marvel when I hear phrases like. "He owns a car and affords a 2/3 bedroom flat" so he is successful. Nawa o. My people nawa o.
Flat that one mistake at work or simply low turnovers beyond your control, and there is no difference between you and the guy carrying file on the street looking for job. Or car you have to keep that job to maintain? What about those in business depending on just one main client who they have to kiss their feet to ensure bills are being paid, yet brag. No matter how fine the apartment is, its still a liability to maintain, and you ll be kicked out, along whatever you put in there the moment you stop keeping the landlord quiet.
Also, its even funny how people see car as a luxury. Car is not a luxury. Having a car is just a basic necessity.
Nowadays, I flip through social media, and don't get moved. I just see people faking out their lives, with the temporary illusion of happiness, while I critically thing of the real things that matter. Too many people living hand to mouth, waiting for the next paycheck to maintain that lifestyle. That's not freedom to me. That's not even success

Draw your ears boy and girls.... Having a car with paying for a flat is NOT success. Heck, its not even a luxury.

The AussiePlayboy

/
You told them what you don't consider success...

but you failed to mention what you consider success.

Just checking...

Being able to afford a roof over your head and buying a car are success stories.

/
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by partnerbiz4: 10:35am On Apr 16, 2018
Neoteny:

Success is relative.

To you a man who owns a duplex, a thriving business and cars is successful.

To Dangote such a man is broke.

For someone who moved from abject squalor to owning a car (which is an asset) and is able to pay for decent accommodation and meals, that is a sign of success.

So yeah, success is relative and not bound to any single vantage point or social prescriptions.

How is a car an asset sir?

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by partnerbiz4: 10:35am On Apr 16, 2018
Neoteny:

Success is relative.

To you a man who owns a duplex, a thriving business and cars is successful.

To Dangote such a man is broke.

For someone who moved from abject squalor to owning a car (which is an asset) and is able to pay for decent accommodation and meals, that is a sign of success.
So yeah, success is relative and not bound to any single vantage point or social prescriptions.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by freeboyhenry(m): 10:36am On Apr 16, 2018
How many people you bless that's how we measure success
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by bukatyne(f): 10:36am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy

The bold means you grasp what you are talking about.

A lot of people are trapped.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Lifeofpolice1(m): 10:38am On Apr 16, 2018
MaziOmenuko:

Hope you guys are aware that the Robert that is your icon of success is actually broke and had filed for bankruptcy long ago.

It's very easy to be a motivational speaker, write books, sell them and make more money off your naive followers. Practical application is what matters.

Try to follow strive masiyawa (econet, kwese TV). He is a better entrepreneur with practical prove of success. Not some sweet talking dude who can't keep it together.
Robert kiyosaki is counted among the most successful people of this century.even after testing repeated failures in life he had showed indomitable spirit and has struggled throughout. With his failures and success, Robert kiyosaki has become inspiration for many people around the world

His net worth $85 million
So there's no bankruptcy he filed

success is failures,failures is success

Robert Kiyosaki has that qualities

And that's why he's one of my best mentor on earth
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by thegifted: 10:38am On Apr 16, 2018
Yellowdayzee:
Ok fair enough...

So what is true success?

Honestly I feel there are varying levels of success with different measurements... So to you it might not be but maybe that person worked extremely hard to buy that car or house and for them that is their measure undecided .... Honestly as long as it's not on credit.

success is fulfilled purpose, e.g a doctor saving lives, a pilot recording successful flights, a police man taking down criminals, these are things that can be recorded in time as feats. people buy cars everyday but not everyone can save lives.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Neoteny(m): 10:45am On Apr 16, 2018
partnerbiz4:

Anything you own that has value is an asset
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Niyinficient(m): 10:51am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy

Of course not.

But it is part of being on a success track. For most people who decently live on what they earn, buying a car and paying ur rent involves alot of planning, sacrifices and stuffs, only a success minded person can go this track. Unlike pple who are into illegal dealings and could afford these things in flash...this people painstakingly pull their resources to acquire and pay for these. That is not success, but part of a success mindset.

Moreover, success is relative. What you consider success is a starting point for some.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by chukzyfcbb: 11:05am On Apr 16, 2018
This is what I do say, you find someone fortunate enough to be in a good work place and they suddenly turn motivational speaker.

So because you work in a multinational coy and get paid flights that now qualifies you to judge people and their success. Nig.ga take a seat!

Success is a relative term. My own view of success is to see that I can train over 1000youths in core IT skills. Someone else view of success could be that He wants to be able to afford the best education and lifestyle for his kids, to another person success could mean being able to achieve a ground breaking invention, its a relative term!!!

My uncle is a multi millionaire but when I had a chat with him few months, he told me he still isn't successful. I mean this is someone with millions of naira, it was during that discussion I got to understand that success means different thing to different people just as wealth means different thing to different people

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by franzis(m): 11:05am On Apr 16, 2018
how can you own a range rover and land cruiser and still have a landlord, its madness
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by frankwealth: 11:06am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy
You are totally wrong my brother. It is success, but you can say it is not being rich or wealthy.

Success has different levels and faces. When a student passes his or her exams, that's success at that level.

When you are able to secure a job, that's success at that level of life.

If you used to trek around the city and finally got a car, that's success at that level of life.

When you change your car to a bigger or more luxurious one, that's success.

There are many types of success...

But you can say that....owning a car and paying your house rent is not being rich or wealthy, then you have a good point, correct your notion about success.

Lastly, anybody still working for somebody like you, have no right to talk about riches and financial success because you are a hired labourer being paid...and can be offloaded at anytime. If you want to become a motivational speaker on finance, resign and startup a business and if you succeed after 5yrs, then u can talk about this topic

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by chukzyfcbb: 11:08am On Apr 16, 2018
franzis:
how can you own a range rover and land cruiser and still have a landlord, its madness
Do you know if he has housing project somewhere?
Do you know how much assets he has outside?
Do you know how much is in the bank account?

You are judging people from their outward appearance.
just so you know so many tenants are richer than their landlord.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 16, 2018
Lifeofpolice1:
Yellow try and visit Robert kiyosaki book you will know the true meaning of success

that is not even success in religious circle. but you can call it financial success.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by AussiePlayboy(f): 11:18am On Apr 16, 2018
xynerise:

Lol. Dont be too pedantic.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Nobody: 11:22am On Apr 16, 2018
partnerbiz4:

if you use it to make money. it's an asset.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by xynerise: 11:29am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

Lol. Dont be too pedantic.

grin
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by laytoshtwo: 11:29am On Apr 16, 2018
cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy Especially when your house rent is #1.5millon annual salary #2million

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by laytoshtwo: 11:31am On Apr 16, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

Do you know if he has housing project somewhere?
Do you know how much assets he has outside?
Do you know how much is in the bank account?

You are judging people from their outward appearance.
just so you know so many tenants are richer than their landlord.

housing project grin grin cheesy grin cheesy but he is driving a car that can finish the project in 24hours. cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by AussiePlayboy(f): 11:31am On Apr 16, 2018
Ejegbleje:
Buying a car does not stop you from building. Your inability to build is due to insufficient income. If I am a family man with children staying in a rented apartment then you think I should not buy a car of 300k to convey my family because am a tenant? When rain beat you and your family when you are in transit you will understand.
ogbeni, pls read and understand. I never said you shouldn't buy a car. I even mentioned its a basic neccessity. Buy whatever you deem is right for your family, but my advise on just relying there is out of love. The world is evolving fast
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by MILITO12345(m): 11:32am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy
u dont deserve dat work bro..probably sponspored by your rich parents,thats why
you wouldnt say this if you ever started from the scratch
3 better square meal na success

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by AussiePlayboy(f): 11:34am On Apr 16, 2018
guru03:
I may not totally agree with you, am a land lord of houses in my state, yet work has made me a tenant in another state.
That is understandable, first to you who made the decision, and also economically
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Tundexysam(m): 11:34am On Apr 16, 2018
Guys Go get your pvc
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by AussiePlayboy(f): 11:36am On Apr 16, 2018
HoodBillionaire:
dey dia dey over hype yourself
hotels in d world my ass
abegi

who wants to read your long ass boring shiiit
go fuc yourself OP

I owe you no reply. Its a faceless forum, hence you re free to pour out your bitterness this way. Its allowed
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by chukzyfcbb: 11:41am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

ogbeni, pls read and understand. I never said you shouldn't buy a car. I even mentioned its a basic neccessity. Buy whatever you deem is right for your family, but my advise on just relying there is out of love. The world is evolving fast
you are now changing tune,lol
after getting bashed left right and centre.

Watch your pride man, coz downfall is the result of a boastful lad

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by AussiePlayboy(f): 11:42am On Apr 16, 2018
Ojemedad:

To you it may not be success but to others it is, how do you see someone from a very poor background which non of his family members even own a car, live in abject poverty then they fight their way through and you say he is not successful, you lie that is success for him.
And sorry to say, with this your mindset it will be difficult for you to be happy in life..enjoy life as it comes don't wait till you get the whole world
Have to come down to talk to you bruh!
Read between my lines. Please do carefully, you ll see my advice is about warning others off the enchanting rat race. Fighting for the next bill to live. Everyone has got their standards of living as well as related costs. Hence, some broke people's liabilities could still buy up all a rich person's assets.
Be wise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sex And Your Marriage: Pastor Taiwo Odukoya Writes / What Is That Thing You Don't Pray Your Children Inherits From You? / Will You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? Men Speak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.