Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,367 members, 7,954,488 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:12 PM

Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success (26542 Views)

Between Owning A Car Or House Which Would You Advise Someone In His 20's? / Is Marriage A Distraction In A Person's Pursuit Of Success? / Newly Wedded Wife Seeks Divorce After Her Husband Lied About Owning Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Olafisoyem: 9:31am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:
I've come to notice a common misconception about many people, especially the ladies and some guys who dont know better and think that owing a car and paying rent for an accommodation are signs of success.
I find it appalling, really appalling. Thankfully, at 23, I bought my first car and moved out of my parents place and a year after, I still totally don't consider myself close to successful. I even feel like there is a lot I am not doing with my life.
I presently work in a top multinational company(outside Africa) and get paid flights and accommodation(even at the moment) in the best hotels in the world, yet I often see it like I have seen it all, and hence, its not true success. I am lucky, like really lucky to experience this at an early age and hence it has helped me understand what matters life.
I have seen so called "big men" loose everything in a flip of a second, I have seen what supposedly rich people go through and I sometimes marvel when I hear phrases like. "He owns a car and affords a 2/3 bedroom flat" so he is successful. Nawa o. My people nawa o.
Flat that one mistake at work or simply low turnovers beyond your control, and there is no difference between you and the guy carrying file on the street looking for job. Or car you have to keep that job to maintain? What about those in business depending on just one main client who they have to kiss their feet to ensure bills are being paid, yet brag. No matter how fine the apartment is, its still a liability to maintain, and you ll be kicked out, along whatever you put in there the moment you stop keeping the landlord quiet.
Also, its even funny how people see car as a luxury. Car is not a luxury. Having a car is just a basic necessity.
Nowadays, I flip through social media, and don't get moved. I just see people faking out their lives, with the temporary illusion of happiness, while I critically thing of the real things that matter. Too many people living hand to mouth, waiting for the next paycheck to maintain that lifestyle. That's not freedom to me. That's not even success

Draw your ears boy and girls.... Having a car with paying for a flat is NOT success. Heck, its not even a luxury.

The AussiePlayboy

Everybody’s definition of success is different. What is money if you have no health or happiness. I just think everyone should do what they like. Enjoy your life instead of chasing things. At 80 will u look back at how much money you have/had or would u look at the memories and happiness that you have enjoyed over the years
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by adonaimart(m): 9:31am On Apr 16, 2018
Many of us lack financial intelligence! We need to create assets by having more than one source of income.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by 0monnak0da: 9:32am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:
I've come to notice a common misconception about many people, especially the ladies and some guys who dont know better and think that owing a car and paying rent for an accommodation are signs of success.
I find it appalling, really appalling. Thankfully, at 23, I bought my first car and moved out of my parents place and a year after, I still totally don't consider myself close to successful. I even feel like there is a lot I am not doing with my life.
I presently work in a top multinational company(outside Africa) and get paid flights and accommodation(even at the moment) in the best hotels in the world, yet I often see it like I have seen it all, and hence, its not true success. I am lucky, like really lucky to experience this at an early age and hence it has helped me understand what matters life.
I have seen so called "big men" loose everything in a flip of a second, I have seen what supposedly rich people go through and I sometimes marvel when I hear phrases like. "He owns a car and affords a 2/3 bedroom flat" so he is successful. Nawa o. My people nawa o.
Flat that one mistake at work or simply low turnovers beyond your control, and there is no difference between you and the guy carrying file on the street looking for job. Or car you have to keep that job to maintain? What about those in business depending on just one main client who they have to kiss their feet to ensure bills are being paid, yet brag. No matter how fine the apartment is, its still a liability to maintain, and you ll be kicked out, along whatever you put in there the moment you stop keeping the landlord quiet.
Also, its even funny how people see car as a luxury. Car is not a luxury. Having a car is just a basic necessity.
Nowadays, I flip through social media, and don't get moved. I just see people faking out their lives, with the temporary illusion of happiness, while I critically thing of the real things that matter. Too many people living hand to mouth, waiting for the next paycheck to maintain that lifestyle. That's not freedom to me. That's not even success

Draw your ears boy and girls.... Having a car with paying for a flat is NOT success. Heck, its not even a luxury.

The AussiePlayboy

Honestly you do not have anything to say or do go and get a job.What have you said?

Car is not a luxury it is a necessity? How many Nigerians have a car. Next your biography ......@ 23 I blablabla , en hen? who ask you?

Everything in life is relative. Everyone has phases of life and at different phases different things are "success" for different people. What is success for you is not the same for Mohammed. Who the hell are you to come and start telling people how to live their lives.
For some people getting a car and paying rent is a huge success in fact if it is a bicycle it is still a huge success.

You may aspire to have a private jet fine, good for you. IF I am happy with my okada what is your problem.
For some people getting pregnant is their life goal.Who are you to judge?

Honestly all the nonsense you have written up there is FOR YOU. it has no value to anyone else.

See you when you are 46

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by BanevsJoker(m): 9:32am On Apr 16, 2018
Lifeofpolice1:
nice reply from khiaa
Your intelligent is beyond my expectation
Your grammar is way beyond mine.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by aku626(m): 9:33am On Apr 16, 2018
Success is purely perception and shouldn’t Be depended on other people’s.
If all you’ve dreamed of owning a car at 23 and you achieved it bro you’re successful, if it was to get a bsc. You are successful it is not based on people’s ideas but your ideals.
If your ideal is to build a bungalow and you achieved it then you’re successful regardless if your neighbour has a duplex.

5 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Dollabiz: 9:33am On Apr 16, 2018
hmmm
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Ejegbleje(m): 9:33am On Apr 16, 2018
Buying a car does not stop you from building. Your inability to build is due to insufficient income. If I am a family man with children staying in a rented apartment then you think I should not buy a car of 300k to convey my family because am a tenant? When rain beat you and your family when you are in transit you will understand.

5 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by guru03(m): 9:36am On Apr 16, 2018
I may not totally agree with you, am a land lord of houses in my state, yet work has made me a tenant in another state.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by HoodBillionaire: 9:37am On Apr 16, 2018
dey dia dey over hype yourself
hotels in d world my ass
abegi

who wants to read your long ass boring shiiit
go fuc yourself OP

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Lifeofpolice1(m): 9:39am On Apr 16, 2018
BanevsJoker:

Your grammar is way beyond mine.
Enjoy your ban
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by cooltola(m): 9:40am On Apr 16, 2018
My definition of success is to be at peace with God, with yourself and with your fellow man. Money will come and go, car depreciates with time. What will people say about you when you leave this planet? What willl your creator say to you on Judgement day?

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by RCDIY(m): 9:41am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:
...... Having a car is just a basic necessity.

The AussiePlayboy

So how old are you now?
A lot of people have told you what I wanted to tell you which is the fact that success is relative.

Go and learn the meaning of success then come and read this your post again.

3 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by banio: 9:43am On Apr 16, 2018
Success is living. It is not stagnant. Success at anything we delve into is Sweet. Financial independence is success. However, even in financial independence your source could stop flowing. Being alive is success. Writing and passing your common entrance to your dream school is success. Making all your papers at WAEC is success. Graduating with an extra year is success. Graduating at the right time is success. Success to one is child's play to the next person. However, everybody has his success clock. Some make their billions by 38years, 25years, 50years etc. The bottom line is let's all be contented with our level of success and thrive to maintain it or grow higher. Do you know that fresh air gives U long live more than artificial air, this in itself is success. Yes wisdom and information is success

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Ojemedad: 9:44am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy
To you it may not be success but to others it is, how do you see someone from a very poor background which non of his family members even own a car, live in abject poverty then they fight their way through and you say he is not successful, you lie that is success for him.
And sorry to say, with this your mindset it will be difficult for you to be happy in life..enjoy life as it comes don't wait till you get the whole world

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:45am On Apr 16, 2018
Lifeofpolice1:
Yellow try and visit Robert kiyosaki book you will know the true meaning of success
Actually he might be right in a way, sucess is a journey not a destination, and yes it's relative.
A man who came from a pauper background and manages to buy a car n rent a flat could be considered as "relatively successful" but same won't be said of a man with a millionaire background.

N/B; A private residential apartment is not an asset but a liability.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Sanchez01: 9:46am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy
You missed it big time. Success is subjective. That you feel you are not successful doesn't mean someone else won't. Don't equate success for satisfaction as they are two distinct subject matters.

If you are don't feel satisfied in an aspect all aspects of your life, you can never be termed successful because in the end, you would feel an undefined rot eating deep into you. The same goes for most people who, though, have good jobs but feel unfulfilled because satisfaction is missing.

Having a car or paying rent for some, is a huge relief and purely ecstatic, while it might be a norm or ritual for others without a sense of accomplishment. Our minds work differently and so are our goals.

For Mikel, one Ballon d'Or would be a huge success, perhaps the greatest thing to happen to Africa while to Ronaldo or Messi, it is just another accolade added to the list.

3 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by MissRaine69(f): 9:46am On Apr 16, 2018
Success is subjective
A country with a high unemployment rate like Nigeria cars are a luxury
There is no one way of truly measuring it. We all come from different socioeconomic backgrounds so that notion greatly varies. In the human world especially in our particular society. Success is measured by material possessions if you have more of those than that’s the gage used. Anyone who has well and truly made it has lost most things or everything at some point in their journey what sets you apart from those who just “fake” their success to those who have tenacity to succeed is how you bounce back from your failures.

You cannot be successful without failing. If you don’t know failure my personal view is you have not been successful yet ...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by GeeString: 9:46am On Apr 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

Honestly you do not have anything to say or do go and get a job.What have you said?

Car is not a luxury it is a necessity? How many Nigerians have a car. Next your biography ......@ 23 I blablabla , en hen? who ask you?

Everything in life is relative. Everyone has phases of life and at different phases different things are "success" for different people. What is success for you is not the same for Mohammed. Who the hell are you to come and start telling people how to live their lives.
For some people getting a car and paying rent is a huge success in fact if it is a bicycle it is still a huge success.

You may aspire to have a private jet fine, good for you. IF I am happy with my okada what is your problem.

Honestly all the nonsense you have written up there is FOR YOU. it has no value to anyone else.

See you when you are 46

HoodBillionaire:
dey dia dey over hype yourself
hotels in d world my ass
abegi

who wants to read your long ass boring shiiit
go fuc yourself OP

Honestly, thought I was the only one to notice this.

The OP did not make this post to advice anyone cuz all he has written up there is hogwash.

This post was created to show off. A small boy in his mid twenties who knows nothing about life and just wants to bed some cheap & desperate ladies, that's all I see here. He is tired of staying in the shadows so he is desperate for attention & wants us to know he is based in Australia.

You can make your point without attaching your 'achievements'. (I quoted that cuz even those nonsense you listed up there as your accomplishments are rubbish to other people.

As someone typed up there, success is relative / subjective.

Many rich men have committed suicide for failure despite having significantly more than others.

OP, GROW UP!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by 0monnak0da: 9:52am On Apr 16, 2018
GeeString:

Honestly, thought I was the only one to notice this.

The OP did not make this post to advice anyone cuz all he has written up there is hogwash.

This post was created to show off. A small boy in his mid twenties who knows nothing about life and just wants to bed some cheap & desperate ladies, that's all I see here.

You can make your point without attaching your 'achievements'. (I quoted that cuz even those nonsense you listed up there as your accomplishments are rubbish to other people.

As someone typed up there, success is relative / subjective.

Many rich men have committed suicide for failure despite having significantly more than others.

OP, GROW UP!!

Once you start to hear biography you know you are dealing with a kid
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by livinbygrace: 9:52am On Apr 16, 2018
That you have an pportunity to live an affluent lifestyle does not mean someone that can service his apartment or own a car is not successful.With the present economic situation of Nigeria how many employed graduates owns car and at the same time being able to pay their bills with that meagery salary?Oboy,things get as he be for Nigeria and if you are able to do those two without any difficulties just thank your God ,because if you owe landlord house rent for Lagos ,you go know what's up .
So all fingers are not equal.Peace out!!
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by merits(m): 9:53am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy
abeg tell them ooo,bcuz they can never know.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by GeeString: 9:55am On Apr 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

Once you start to hear biography you know you are dealing with a kid

I'm telling you.

You can make your point without telling me sh!t about you.

Telling me does not make me believe you instead it makes you irritating all of a sudden. It exposes your insecurities.

But what do I know? undecided It may just be another junkie living with his mom typing trash from some sweaty weed bunk around Ajangbadi.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by blackboy(m): 9:56am On Apr 16, 2018
so what is it? just there? or a failure? or .. levels dey. if some one cant pay his bills/rent what do you call that.

Or are you trying to say rich and mistakenly used successful.

Cars dey and rent dey but no matter d koko is being able to pay the rent without begging n maintaining the car without begging.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Lifeofpolice1(m): 9:57am On Apr 16, 2018
TroubleMaker47:

Actually he might be right in a way, sucess is a journey not a destination, and yes it's relative.
A man who came from a pauper background and manages to buy a car n rent a flat could be considered as "relatively successful" but same won't be said of a man with a millionaire background.

N/B; A private residential apartment is not an asset but a liability.
You are right Troublemaker47

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Neoteny(m): 9:57am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy

Success is relative.

To you a man who owns a duplex, a thriving business and cars is successful.

To Dangote such a man is broke.

For someone who moved from abject squalor to owning a car (which is an asset) and is able to pay for decent accommodation and meals, that is a sign of success.

So yeah, success is relative and not bound to any single vantage point or social prescriptions.
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Bestypretty: 10:00am On Apr 16, 2018
Exctally all fingers are not equal. www.schoolcrayon.com
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Lifeofpolice1(m): 10:01am On Apr 16, 2018
blackboy:
so what is it? just there? or a failure? or .. levels dey. if some one cant pay his bills/rent what do you call that.

Or are you trying to say rich and mistakenly used successful.

Cars dey and rent dey but no matter d koko is being able to pay the rent without begging n maintaining the car without begging.

why can't you understand something

Tomorrow you will blame the Country for Making you poor.

Liabilities can never make you rich only Asset does

That's why you see so many billionaires having Asset not because they can't afford liabilities but because they knew liabilities can never make you rich.

Having a car and paying rent does show you are successful in life blackboy

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by SalamRushdie: 10:01am On Apr 16, 2018
AussiePlayboy:

The AussiePlayboy

You are a smart youngman ... There is a saying I always tell my friends and it goes " you are just a paycheck away from being broke " So be humble always

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by afroxyz: 10:03am On Apr 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

See you when you are 46

Ogbeni, stop being bitter. I get your point. But in all honesty, what he said is the bitter truth. When you are on your death bed and you reflect back on your life, having a car and paying your rent won't put a smile in yourbface. Life is bigger than fulfilling your basic needs. The moment we understand this, then our society would evolve. Look around us. Upon say na we dey find money pass, which has led us to acquire a mass of material things, yet we no reach countries wey value the intangible things of life. That's should be a lesson for us.

2 Likes

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by 0monnak0da: 10:05am On Apr 16, 2018
afroxyz:

Ogbeni, stop being bitter. I get your point. But in all honesty, what he said is the bitter truth. When you are on your death bed and you reflect back on your life, having a car and paying your rent won't put a smile in yourbface. Life is bigger than fulfilling your basic needs. The moment we understand this, then our society would evolve. Look around us. Upon say na we dey find money pass, which has led us to acquire a mass of material things, yet we no reach countries wey value the intangible things of life. That's should be a lesson for us.
Your family are bitter.Bitterness will never leave them
Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by MaziOmenuko: 10:09am On Apr 16, 2018
Lifeofpolice1:
true talk you said

The same Robert Kiyosaki said that liability can never make you rich only Assets does

A successful man/woman who work hard and dream big with goals/plan

Hope you guys are aware that the Robert that is your icon of success is actually broke and had filed for bankruptcy long ago.

It's very easy to be a motivational speaker, write books, sell them and make more money off your naive followers. Practical application is what matters.

Try to follow strive masiyawa (econet, kwese TV). He is a better entrepreneur with practical prove of success. Not some sweet talking dude who can't keep it together.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paying Your Rent And Owning A Car Are Not Signs Of Success by Doerstech(m): 10:11am On Apr 16, 2018
Many things said yet nothing said..,Just Like being busy doesn't mean you're doing anything meaningful with your life...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Mourns Her Husband's Death, Two Months After Their Wedding / Is The Male Child More Important Than The Female Child In This Modern Age / 'My Pastor Said My Husband Planted A Killer-Charm In My Body' - Nigerian Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.