Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,855 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

"How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User (13724 Views)

Rich People In Nigeria In Year 2000 vrs 2024 / Lagos Building Collapse: A Twitter User Complained About The Building 4 Days Ago / Landlord Puts Barb Wire Around His Balcony To Prevent Neighbors From Sitting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by slimfit1(m): 12:23pm On Apr 18, 2018
arent88:
stop saying it happens everywhere.u only see dis tins happening in the southwest,east and south south.

I agree with you West mostly.

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by CowHard: 12:23pm On Apr 18, 2018
So they are now preventing Igbos from developing their swampy lands
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by wagazala: 12:23pm On Apr 18, 2018
I recall wanting to setup a betshop somewhere in Bariga. The area boys obtained me every time I set foot there. They frustrated all works. After much settling and using connections, they didn't even allow the business to run successfully. Today this faction will come and seize our generator that we should pay eiye boys money, tomorrow na another faction.
Eventually had to shut down the biz and let the shop out.
Funniest thing was this shop was part of a house and we offered to allow the house share our generator. Even their toilet was shambles and I had offered to fix it. Has to just leave them with their wahala.

5 Likes

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by 222Martins(m): 12:23pm On Apr 18, 2018
arent88:
stop saying it happens everywhere.u only see dis tins happening in the southwest,east and south south.
You are right with the aforementioned locations. I have not executed any project or investment in the North so i can't tell about that area.
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Warripikin08(m): 12:24pm On Apr 18, 2018
goldenarrow:
Foolish people deserves bad governance.

This is one of the big problems in the present day Nigeria.
You just throway d raw truth for ground.

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Tufunky: 12:25pm On Apr 18, 2018
I thought this kind of rubbish has stopped in Lagos? This is exactly what makes most parts of the South-South backward.
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by mekonglobal(m): 12:25pm On Apr 18, 2018
Unemployment is the root cause of all this, thought this case is only common among the south-south region.

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by sweetrace(f): 12:26pm On Apr 18, 2018
sirusX:
Does the law permit them to collect?

Then why has the police not done anything

They are in it together.

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by umar745(m): 12:34pm On Apr 18, 2018
Some years back the place I was working got a rural electrification contract in Bayelsa. The youth didn't let us start work unless we settled them.
Meanwhile the second contract was in Borno state, the government and the people appreciated it so much that we were housed in a government lodge all through our stay.

8 Likes

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by sweetrace(f): 12:37pm On Apr 18, 2018
ThinkWISELY:
Glo has always being a huge disappointment,rubbish!! undecided

Back to topic,that man is not a developer ,cos despite all odds,we the developers are still developing everywhere rapidly.

He is a developer. A lot of Nigerians have large companies in other African countries but not in Nigeria because of how hostile this environment is. The government places huge taxes on companies owned by Nigerians and then thugs place their own taxes. Lack of constant electricity doesn't help. In the end developers get discouraged and go to a different country where they are welcomed as foreign investors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Ezinwa120: 12:48pm On Apr 18, 2018
VIPERVENOM:
Unfortunately its a norm here in the south. Before u develop a place or community u must pay wat we call "marching ground" to the youths of dat community.

Pls don’t misinform the public pls, kindly indicate the south you came from because the south I came from precisely Anambra State, the youth will mobilize to guard your equipment. We don’t bite the hand that feeds us. � �

9 Likes

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by mustafa006: 12:48pm On Apr 18, 2018
222Martins:
It's everywhere oh. I have experienced it on several occasions, even after paying youth development levy. They think they are doing us. Now, i am no longer a charity organization. If i have any project or CSR, i will go and do it in my hometown......Even the solar street light, public borehole, charity foundation and skill acquisition center i intend building, i will do it in my home town. To your tent oh Israel. No Time!!!!!!!!!!
It's like you have never been to the north
this nonsense does not happen in the north

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by oginga: 12:50pm On Apr 18, 2018
Jobless youths are not helping matters at all. Same thing happened to me when I wanted to open an eatery in Ajah area, some thugs demanded for 120k before anything could be done. They went as far as preventing delivery trucks from entering the street, I had no option than to give them what they requested for but I passed the price to customers and I made sure no one from the area works in the new business.

11 Likes

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Nobody: 12:50pm On Apr 18, 2018
That was what CDA crew were doing in Edo state, good they have been tamed undecided
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Naijazeus: 12:51pm On Apr 18, 2018
slimfit1:

I agree with you West mostly.

Come to south south, you will see that those guys in the west ate learners

3 Likes

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by mustafa006: 12:51pm On Apr 18, 2018
Thesame thugs will come to nairaland and call northerners illitrate meanwhile illiteracy is more apparent in the south

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by laura8: 12:54pm On Apr 18, 2018
I've never heard of such a thing in my life...
We in the middle belt will be so grateful..ahh..
May God bring people like this to us o..amen

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Nobody: 1:02pm On Apr 18, 2018
oginga:
Jobless youths are not helping matters at all. Same thing happened to me when I wanted to open an eatery in Ajah area, some thugs demanded for 120k before anything could be done. They went as far as preventing delivery trucks from entering the street, I had no option than to give them what they requested for but I passed the price to customers and I made sure no one from the area works in the new business.

Badt guy

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Liftedhands(f): 1:07pm On Apr 18, 2018
Very common and annoying thing especially in Lekki.
Before you offload container you must settle the boys and the boys must be the ones to offload your goods else they will disrupt the area should you refuse and get your own people angry and this forced service is still not free o shocked.

To fill even put broken stones on potholes you must settle them. The list goes on and on and it's a very terrible thing that must be curtailed

Worst is they will tell you to leave their community if you don't like their rules.

With all this levies most of them can't still feed their children or buy them clothes it's pant from January to December as they carry stainless plates about buying beans 50 ijebu garri 20 naira.

May God help us all.

3 Likes

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 18, 2018
anowrite:
It has now become a custom for touts and thugs to demand money from rich people that wants to establish anything, be it house or business, popularly called "owk ile" without knowing its effect.

Mr Gbenga Samuel Wemimo, a Twitter user narrates how these touts stopped business owner, who established an hotel in their community and bought a transformer to help the community and his hotel, but was discouraged after they forcefully collected N100,000 as "Owk Ile" from him.

He wrote:
"Somewhere in Lagos, a man built a hotel on a street and brought a new transformer to help the street and his hotel business. Youths in the area then demanded he must pay N100,000 before it will be installed. That was how the transformer got connected to just his hotel."

Other twitter users also narrate their experience from the effect of this barbaric act.

https://www.gistrealm.com/twitter-user-narrates-how-thugs-prevent-rich-people-from-developing-their-community-after-demanding-owo-ile/

it is every where in the southern Nigeria. in the east it is called "deve"
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by cooltola(m): 1:10pm On Apr 18, 2018
Even to enjoy yourself na wahala. Few years ago Me and some friends wanted to chill on elegushi beach on a tuesday afternoon. The agberos said we suppose pay at least N10000 before we can even enter. We eventually settle for N5000 after begging
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by laudate: 1:11pm On Apr 18, 2018
mekonglobal:
Unemployment is the root cause of all this, thought this case is only common among the south-south region.

No it is not unemployment, it is greed and stupidity! angry

umar745:
Some years back the place I was working got a rural electrification contract in Bayelsa. The youth didn't let us start work unless we settled them.
Meanwhile the second contract was in Borno state, the government and the people appreciated it so much that we were housed in a government lodge all through our stay.

Can anyone spot the difference? shocked cheesy Isn't there unemployment in the North, too?

5 Likes

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 18, 2018
Ezinwa120:

Pls don’t misinform the public pls, kindly indicate the south you came from because the south I came from precisely Anambra State, the youth will mobilize to guard your equipment. We don’t bite the hand that feeds us. � �

haha stop the lies. it is done everywhere in the south.

2 Likes

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by obailala(m): 1:15pm On Apr 18, 2018
anowrite:
It has now become a custom for touts and thugs to demand money from rich people that wants to establish anything, be it house or business, popularly called "owk ile" without knowing its effect.

Mr Gbenga Samuel Wemimo, a Twitter user narrates how these touts stopped business owner, who established an hotel in their community and bought a transformer to help the community and his hotel, but was discouraged after they forcefully collected N100,000 as "Owk Ile" from him.

He wrote:
"Somewhere in Lagos, a man built a hotel on a street and brought a new transformer to help the street and his hotel business. Youths in the area then demanded he must pay N100,000 before it will be installed. That was how the transformer got connected to just his hotel."

Other twitter users also narrate their experience from the effect of this barbaric act.

https://www.gistrealm.com/twitter-user-narrates-how-thugs-prevent-rich-people-from-developing-their-community-after-demanding-owo-ile/

Without reading through this thread, I'm sure some people would defend the actions of the youths by claiming it's because the government made them jobless. Meanwhile this is a very rampant occurrence in the far southern axis of the country.
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by 400billionman: 1:22pm On Apr 18, 2018
These are the real jobless youths. Not when someone advices govt to pay workers salaries one idiot will call a bread winner jobless youth
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by oginga: 1:24pm On Apr 18, 2018
Liftedhands:
Very common and annoying thing especially in Lekki.
Before you offload container you must settle the boys and the boys must be the ones to offload your goods else they will disrupt the area should you refuse and get your own people angry and this forced service is still not free o shocked.

To fill even put broken stones on potholes you must settle them. The list goes on and on and it's a very terrible thing that must be curtailed

Worst is they will tell you to leave their community if you don't like their rules.

With all this levies most of them can't still feed their children or buy them clothes it's pant from January to December as they carry stainless plates about buying beans 50 ijebu garri 20 naira.

May God help us all.

You are absolutely right, particularly thugs at Ikate, iIasan, Jakande, Igbara, igbo-efon, 1&2nd Gate, Ajah, Sangotedo down to Eleko are all terrible areas for investors.

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 18, 2018
There is a whole thriving industry for Area Boys.. whether it is LASTMA, Omonile, NURTW or druggies in Lagos Island.. they will collect their "due" the minute they see you trying to start a business, grade a road, deliver a container to your warehouse, fix your roof or put up a street light.. Shitta, Ijesha, Tapa, Igbosere, Mushin, Ikoyi, VI.. just everyhere.. the Lagos State government does nothing because they will need these hordes of malleable turds for election angry

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by Nigeriadondie: 1:38pm On Apr 18, 2018
oginga:

You are absolutely right, particularly thugs at Ikate, iIasan, Jakande, Igbara, igbo-efon, 1&2nd Gate, Ajah, Sangotedo down to Eleko are all terrible areas for investors.
But I thought that Lagos state has passed a law against such practices? Or is the law not enforced? Not surprised cos it is a lawless country.
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by ecosanders: 1:41pm On Apr 18, 2018
oginga:
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by nonix22(m): 2:17pm On Apr 18, 2018
where in the East
arent88:
Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by sms87: 2:19pm On Apr 18, 2018
222Martins:
It's everywhere oh. I have experienced it on several occasions, even after paying youth development levy. They think they are doing us. Now, i am no longer a charity organization. If i have any project or CSR, i will go and do it in my hometown......Even the solar street light, public borehole, charity foundation and skill acquisition center i intend building, i will do it in my home town. To your tent oh Israel. No Time!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think such a thing will happen in the Northern part of the country.

1 Like

Re: "How Thugs Prevent Rich People From Developing Our Community"- Twitter User by arent88(m): 2:37pm On Apr 18, 2018
222Martins:
You are right with the aforementioned locations. I have not executed any project or investment in the North so i can't tell about that area.
nobody in the core northern states born of a woman will ever try that matching ground tax nonsense,that's why the easiest place to build or execute a project is in the north.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

*** Building on an existing structure a storey Of One Bedroom (4 Flats)*** / Finishing Of 3 units of 3bedrooms Holiday Cottage For Diaspora Client / DREAMCITY ESTATE ABRAHAM ADESANYA AJAH! BUY AND BUILD IMMEDIATELY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.