Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,415 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? (8912 Views)

What You Need To Do After Replacing The Engine Of Your Car/Vehicle / Recommended Engine Oil For M52 Engine Of BMW E36 / 10 Cars That Are Powered By The Engine Of Another Manufacturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by AutoReportNG2: 5:56am On Apr 19, 2018
Is engine flush good or bad? You will hear lots of arguments on both sides in various online forums. However, most car experts will suggest against it while mechanics and people running car servicing shops will speak in its favor.

An engine flush is a process of cleaning up the sludge and gunk deposited in your engine for years. You have to add a chemical additive to the oil and pour the mixture through the oil filler cap. Idle the car for 10-15 minutes, allowing the additive-mixed oil to circulate through all the engine parts and dissolving the dirt deposits. Then, you have to flush the oil, replace the oil filter, and fill up the engine tank with fresh oil.

How Does the Sludge Form Inside the Engine?

Not changing the oil regularly is the main reason for forming deposits and sludge inside the engine components. Some drivers have the habit of going too long between oil changes and some even don’t bother about it unless the engine shows any warning sign.

Other two common causes of gunk buildup are:

* Doing mostly stop-and-go driving
* Leaving the car in the garage for months

Not driving the car for a long time will jam the engine components. It happens mostly in winter when condensation builds up because extreme cold does not let the oil to circulate in all the engine parts.

Is Doing an Engine Flush Good or Bad?

Flushing is not necessary for an engine getting the oil changed at manufacturer’s prescribed intervals or as per the mileage and driving conditions. Besides, the owner’s manual never suggests the flushing of the engine.

However, a flush is not a bad idea if you are spending money on a used car that has driven 100,000 km or more and has a history of not changing oil regularly. In fact, not changing the oil can create a visible sludge buildup in cars that run far less than 100,000 km. Thick layers of deposits can cause severe drivability issues, engine light to come on, badly damaged crank, blocking of the oil pickup tube, and more problems.

As flushing washes gunk and dirt out of the engine’s mechanism, it is not a bad option when needed. Also, it cleans up the engine components and keeps the new oil clear from dirt and other particles.

So, if you are facing the dilemma of engine flush good or bad, you should take the decision after examining the vehicle’s condition. If it’s an old car and has many miles on it, you should choose this option. Flushing will clean up the engine and keep the car running for many more miles. However, a well-maintained and serviced car that changes the oil regularly won’t need it. The truth is most cars will never need an engine flush.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/04/how-good-is-flushing-engine-of-your-car.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol

2 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by AutoReportNG2: 5:56am On Apr 19, 2018
Whats your take?
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by diportivo: 6:08am On Apr 19, 2018
as ppl will follow this article ehn,engine go knock sotey

mechanic will smile to the bank like kilode

14 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Shedrack777: 6:29am On Apr 19, 2018
as a nigerian, engine flush is good because only going through muds and so many dirts will make the engine to require a flush

2 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by hisgrace090: 7:00am On Apr 19, 2018
Old cars need it.

Its part of maintanance that comes ones a while.
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by diportivo: 7:07am On Apr 19, 2018
Shedrack777:
as a nigerian, engine flush is good because only going through muds and so many dirts will make the engine to require a flush

did u even read d article?

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by shortgun(m): 7:39am On Apr 19, 2018
Shedrack777:
Your case is irredeemable.

13 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:44am On Apr 19, 2018
Na waa o.

I'm seriously considering this for a 2001 Sienna I bought a few months ago..... The oil (synthetic based 50W15) I used during servicing last 2 months is running short and there's no smoking neither is the oil light on.
The "engine check" light flashes, though.

Pls any advice?
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Follygunners: 7:45am On Apr 19, 2018
Engine flush is actually bad for your car. Transmission (Gear) flush and Coolant (Radiator) flush is recommendable tho...
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by OboOlora(f): 7:46am On Apr 19, 2018
All these online mechanics looking for who to get into trouble. Cars come with manual just like phones, don’t do anything out of what is stated there.

Even if it’s a Tokunbo or Naija used car, please go online and download the manual and necessary info. Relying on inconclusive info from uneducated Kazeems here will get u into more mess than Nigeria will find itself if they elect this corpse-looking dullard

4 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by zinaunreal(m): 7:46am On Apr 19, 2018
Flushed my engine twice.
Engine still very sound
Just get someone experienced that will cover vital components before the flush

3 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Baronnaire: 8:00am On Apr 19, 2018
Engine flush is a pretty bad idea due to the chemical solution required to perform the said flush.

These chemicals are corrosive and detrimental to internal engine seals (mostly made of rubber) which are supposed to prevent oil leaks while the engine is running.

I advice you get a good mechanic to take off the engine cover and oil filter, wipe clean the sludge with petrol from everywhere visible and allow to dry. Then replace cover.

Get a cheap fresh engine oil (not road side though) and fill to gauge, install new oil filter and run the engine for about 2hrs and drain completely (while it's still hot) before refilling with the correct engine oil specification.

The first oil and filter change after this procedure shouldn't be more than 30days.

This over time will completely remove every sludge in the engine...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 19, 2018
Shedrack777:

Sigh. ..

1 Like

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by uuzba(m): 8:10am On Apr 19, 2018
It's somehow

4 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by maxiuc(m): 8:33am On Apr 19, 2018
angry
Jeezuzpick:
Na waa o.

I'm seriously considering this for a 2001 Sienna I bought a few months ago..... The oil (synthetic based 50W15) I used during servicing last 2 months is running short and there's no smoking neither is the oil light on.

Pls any advice?
grin
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Troublemaker007(m): 8:58am On Apr 19, 2018
I won’t try that shit in any of my cars.

3 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by timifakay(m): 9:14am On Apr 19, 2018
Jeezuzpick:
Na waa o.

Pls any advice?

I never see this kind oil before
Wonder wonder, wonder wonder.

Shedrack777:

Are you in anyway related to Legalwealth or Dancok?
How does mud want to get into a running engine?

Cc: Banky3w, chukel, computerglobal, Diportivo, erico2k2, Gazzuzz, honmusa, Kingreign, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, nurey, Obekediamondfuto, Princetom1, Sooperrescue, thebigkendo,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by hentech911: 9:16am On Apr 19, 2018
If you are flushing an old Engine, be ready to change your oil seal and valve seal.
This is because the sluge in old engine act as seal to the valve stem. After the flush, the valve wont be able to seal properly thereby causing smoking.
I was warned, i refuse to adhere and after the flush, i started seeing smoke.

10 Likes

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 19, 2018
The answer is NO according to experts. However this is so because in the western world almost all cars use the right type of engine oil with the correct viscosity. As a result the engine is well lubricated and sludge build up is minimal. Viscosity tells u the thickness of an engine oil. It is measured at low temperatures and at temperatures 100 degree Celsius. In Nigeria, most mechanics recommend Mobil multigrade oil 20W50. Most old cars (1995 to 2001) recommends 10w30. If you use 20w50 for such cars, you definitely going to get sludge build up in the long run. This is the main is reason why car engines don't last in Nigeria.

In other words I may recommend u flush your engine if you are not using the recommended oil for your car. I just flushed mine yesterday with Abro engine sludge because I don't know where they sell conventional 10w30 oil in Nigeria. BUT PLEASE NOTE. BEFORE YOU ADD THE FLUSH MAKE SURE YOUR OIL IS GAUGED. NOT DOING SO MAY KNOCK YOUR ENGINE. AND AFTER ADDING ENGINE FLUSH PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR ENGINE FOR MORE THAN 2 HOURS. AND AFTER ADDING FLUSH AND DRIVING FOR TWO HOURS PLEASE CHANGE YOUR ENGINE OIL. I MEAN SERVICE YOUR ENGINE. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY BE FATAL TO YOUR ENGINE.
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by sooperrescue(m): 9:31am On Apr 19, 2018
hentech911:
If you are flushing an old Engine, be ready to change your oil seal and valve seal.
This is because the sluge in old engine act as seal to the valve stem. After the flush, the valve wont be able to seal properly thereby causing smoking.
I was warned, i refuse to adhere and after the flush, i started seeing smoke.
That is true. It happened to us once in abuja. The sludge was the reason the engine was still running. It was thick as grease. Immediately we flushed the car, the engine died. That is a case of poorly maintained cars. I use engine flush all the time and it is a life saver for these engines that the owners happily use the wrong oil to service. The only snag is that there are many bad engine flush in the market that grinds the metal in the engine. I was recently tasked with servicing a fleet of school buses and the previous mechanic was using black oil on the buses. The flush removed all the black oil and cleaned the internal parts of the engine. Engine flush is good but use the good ones but to avoid its use, use the right oil for your car.

1 Like

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by sooperrescue(m): 9:35am On Apr 19, 2018
mosesmora:
The answer is NO according to experts. However this is so because in the western world almost all cars use the right type of engine oil with the correct viscosity. As a result the engine is well lubricated and sludge build up is minimal. Viscosity tells u the thickness of an engine oil. It is measured at low temperatures and at temperatures 100 degree Celsius. In Nigeria, most mechanics recommend Mobil multigrade oil 20W50. Most old cars (1995 to 2001) recommends 10w30. If you use 20w50 for such cars, you definitely going to get sludge build up in the long run. This is the main is reason why car engines don't last in Nigeria.

In other words I may recommend u flush your engine if you are not using the recommended oil for your car. I just flushed mine yesterday with Abro engine sludge because I don't know where they sell conventional 10w30 oil in Nigeria. BUT PLEASE NOTE. BEFORE YOU ADD THE FLUSH MAKE SURE YOUR OIL IS GAUGED. NOT DOING SO MAY KNOCK YOUR ENGINE. AND AFTER ADDING ENGINE FLUSH PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR ENGINE FOR MORE THAN 2 HOURS. AND AFTER ADDING FLUSH AND DRIVING FOR TWO HOURS PLEASE CHANGE YOUR ENGINE OIL. I MEAN SERVICE YOUR ENGINE. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY BE FATAL TO YOUR ENGINE.
Bros, engine flush is not to exceed 5 to 10 minutes.
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by mormoney85(m): 9:48am On Apr 19, 2018
sooperrescue:

That is true. It happened to us once in abuja. The sludge was the reason the engine was still running. It was thick as grease. Immediately we flushed the car, the engine died. That is a case of poorly maintained cars. I use engine flush all the time and it is a life saver for these engines that the owners happily use the wrong oil to service. The only snag is that there are many bad engine flush in the market that grinds the metal in the engine. I was recently tasked with servicing a fleet of school buses and the previous mechanic was using black oil on the buses. The flush removed all the black oil and cleaned the internal parts of the engine. Engine flush is good but use the good ones but to avoid its use, use the right oil for your car.
witch one would u recommend to us na
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Helpfromabove1(m): 9:58am On Apr 19, 2018
Hmmmm

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by sooperrescue(m): 10:02am On Apr 19, 2018
there is holts engine flush and johnsen engine flush. You can get Johnsen on konga or jumia but the engine flush from holts is new in the market and they both last five minutes. If you check the oil after draining, you will find metal particles in the oil after using abro. That brand is a no go area brand for our vehicles.
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by eherbal(m): 10:13am On Apr 19, 2018
engine flush caused me to loose my first engine. the car was even warmed for 3mins before oil changeundecided
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by sooperrescue(m): 10:16am On Apr 19, 2018
eherbal:
engine flush caused me to loose my first engine. the car was even warmed for 3mins before oil changeundecided
Abro engine flush you mean? Bad choice
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by eherbal(m): 10:19am On Apr 19, 2018
sooperrescue:
Abro engine flush you mean? Bad choice
abro the abrasive.

1 Like

Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by sooperrescue(m): 10:31am On Apr 19, 2018
eherbal:
abro the abrasive.
It deletes all the metal that is supposed to protect the engine. To avoid the same wahala, use the right oil for your car
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by airsaylongcon: 10:45am On Apr 19, 2018
diportivo:
as ppl will follow this article ehn,engine go knock sotey

mechanic will smile to the bank like kilode

Bro atink oga for that our group tok say flushing with AGO make sense?
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by sooperrescue(m): 11:49am On Apr 19, 2018
Which Ago? Is it the adulterated diesel that is destroying trucks and cars?
Re: How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 19, 2018
quote author=sooperrescue post=66841064]
Bros, engine flush is not to exceed 5 to 10 minutes.[/quote]

You are right. It is written to be 3 to 5 minutes. But you won't see the result much. I do mine for like 2 hrs and i get to see sludge in full. The reason is simply because of the poor quality engine flush we have here locally.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! / 6 Symptoms Of A Failing Alternator / How Much Is EOD Engine At Ladipo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.