Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,818 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down (66674 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo & Ooni Both Bow To Greet Each Other (Photo) / Ooni Of Ife In A Sway Back Sitting Mode On A Private Jet-photo / Moment Oba Of Lagos Returned To His Palace After Two Months (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by ipobarecriminals: 3:03pm On Apr 19, 2018
cool
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by ranson(m): 3:03pm On Apr 19, 2018
Turantula:
Afonja and mumuism na 5 & 6. An Igbo man will never kneel for anybody no matter who you be.
And ofcourse if kneeling has a handsome price. grin grin

OK.

Those boys licking Nnamdi Kanu's feet are from Ibadan.

Right?

3 Likes

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by nanakgh(m): 3:03pm On Apr 19, 2018
People say we're throwing away our culture. This is how we treat our elders, there's no obligation for anyone to do it but these black men have kept up the culture and that's a problem? Some pipu are mad

2 Likes

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Jaynom(m): 3:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
Double Standards
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by DaddyGngeess(m): 3:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
Is not in there culture to do so, just the same thing happen last year when i was at the immigration head Qrts, the controller general came in and every body stood up to greet him, i just sat down there pretend as if i didn't not see him oo, after all i am not an immigration officer so i see no reason to stand up and greet him, latet the immigration officers inside the office start challenging me that i should have stood up and greet.. I just vex leave the office waka my own abeg, abi him dey pay me ....

2 Likes

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by koning: 3:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
"Blacks and Whites"?!!. or you mean Yorubas and foreigners. Nothing to do with being black or white. An Igbo man would also sit like those white men. The most he would do is give a slight bow during handshake. Which those white guys may have done anyway.

That 'kneeling down' or 'lying flat on your face' shiiiiit is purely a Yoruba thingy.

1 Like

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Dareal90s(m): 3:05pm On Apr 19, 2018
How many Igwe in the East do receive such visitors?

2 Likes

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by talk2percy(m): 3:06pm On Apr 19, 2018
They only provided seat for the white guys
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by honey001(m): 3:06pm On Apr 19, 2018
You want to impose your culture on others?.... That's cultural difference....
Why do some people greet their parents by calling them names and shaking hands while some squat, some prostrate....... No big deal!
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by revontuli(f): 3:06pm On Apr 19, 2018
Do the Igbos, Fulani, Hausa etc. kneel when they visit a Yoruba monarch?
Do the Obas require all visitors to kneel, or only the Yoruba ones?
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by grabdbull: 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2018
I can see a two-seat chair is all that is provided for the guests. The Nigerians probably out of respect, allowed their bosses to sit down.

Secondly, you cannot stand over a king's head while addressing him (if he was on his throne which is elevated, they could have addressed him standing), so the remaining Nigerians went on their knees. They could also have squatted or sat on the ground.

I don't understand why dimwits would want to read false meanings into this picture, in a bid to verbally attack someone else's traditions.
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Dareal90s(m): 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2018
Turantula:
Afonja and mumuism na 5 & 6. An Igbo man will never kneel for anybody no matter who you be.
That same afonja your brothers use their language to sing in their hit songs, keep on hating because you know you ain't cultured .
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by GuntersChain(m): 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2018
What the fuss about, my yoruba friends prostrate or bow to greet their elders but me i don't, i stand straight at greet them and i wasn't crucified neither did they condemn me because that is their tradition and not mine.

1 Like

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Shikena(m): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
shoelotng:
I remember the former ooni sijuade been a board member in Benz ( as I de read and bear o) and Rcc ( this one was confirmed )had whites kneel before him in ife ! The truth is respect should be accorded evenly especially in our own territory!
Your opinion, not 'the truth'.
Cultures evolve as horizon expands. If I travel to a place in Asia and the culture says guests at the palace must eat lizards with the king, I will respectfully decline. Respect doesn't mean you must do what your host requests.
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by ogolomachi(f): 3:14pm On Apr 19, 2018
iamdynamite:
ndi ara.....i never blind oooo
a child abuses an iroko tree and look back....
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Ake1: 3:14pm On Apr 19, 2018
TMemos:
There's also a black man not kneeling down.

So what's your point?

The picture is therefore not enough to make any reliable conclusion.

That is what laziness & poor education can cause among Nigerian youths.
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by ollah2: 3:15pm On Apr 19, 2018
No big deal here because whites don't kneel to greet but it would have been different if they were Asians
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Shikena(m): 3:15pm On Apr 19, 2018
revontuli:
Do the Igbos, Fulani, Hausa etc. kneel when they visit a Yoruba monarch?
Do the Obas require all visitors to kneel, or only the Yoruba ones?
Don't mind our people. They do not have to kneel.
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Shikena(m): 3:20pm On Apr 19, 2018
Turantula:

Actor, Kenneth Okonkwo kneels before former Senate President, Ken Nnamani - https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2018/3/actor-kenneth-okonkwo-kneels-before-former-senate-president-ken-nnamani.html

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by ProfEinstein: 3:25pm On Apr 19, 2018
Negroes a cursed race .
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by koning: 3:35pm On Apr 19, 2018
Shikena:

Actor, Kenneth Okonkwo kneels before former Senate President, Ken Nnamani - https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2018/3/actor-kenneth-okonkwo-kneels-before-former-senate-president-ken-nnamani.html

Can't you see that Ken Nnamani finds it funny and misplaced. That's why he's laughing out loud like that.

To him it's mockery. Kenneth Okonkwo is just groveling, looking for something.
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Chibuzoc(m): 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2018
For those of you hypocrites anytime you visit the Queen refuse to bow before her majesty and see for yourself. Is just like going to the mosque and refusing to take off your shoes grin grin
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by spirul77: 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2018
[quote author=Onechancearmy post=66845895]It all depends on wether or not the Ooni of ife has created a particular protocol of decorum to be observed.

Her Majesty the Queen of England has her own set of etiquettes and protocols to be observed when receiving visitors and those rules apply to everyone who makes an official visit to Buckingham Palace, regardless of whether you are British or a foreigner.

Maybe unlike the British monarch, the Ooni does not feel the need of imposing the same rules of etiquette and public decorum on both his subjects and non subjects.[u talk my mind]
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Obiossy(m): 3:50pm On Apr 19, 2018
skubido:
Every body get im own culture.
do in Rome, As Romans do
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Herrmes: 4:00pm On Apr 19, 2018
I could never now to any man.
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Adebowale89(m): 4:07pm On Apr 19, 2018
I respect them for not hiding away their culture because of those two whites

whites shake hands just as Igbo check hands to greet their igwe. this is Yoruba culture, should they stop doing it because whites are not kneeling down?

one thing I love about Yoruba even the tout guys bow for elders while greeting, we don't call someone older than us brother and aunty as they'd in Igbo land, after all, people lick KANU who's nt a king legs
Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by Adebowale89(m): 4:09pm On Apr 19, 2018
AFONJAPIG:
AFONJA AND SLAVERY TUFIAKWA

slavery is licking someone's that's not a traditional leaders of your region legs

now judge yourself

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by aku626(m): 4:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
tradition is just one mans perception agreed by some and imposed on others

1 Like

Re: Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down by steveDpro: 4:14pm On Apr 19, 2018
Culture

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / When You Want To Get Married To An Igbo Girl(pic) / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.